Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blood donation, supplies very low

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When I lived in the Netherlands they used to send invites / appointments to all registered donors based on actual and forecast demand for particular blood types. Sometimes I could be called up only once a year (I'm a rather boring O+) sometimes twice, whereas my wife (a more interesting O-) was called up more often. Sounds like a much more sensible way of managing things to me than relying on chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Denny M wrote: »
    Is it possible to donate blood if you are on anti-depressants? It's just I've always wanted to donate blood, but I'm not sure if I'll be eligable due to this.

best bet is to phone them and ask, rather than turn up, queue and then be turned away

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hans_moleman

not sure if anyone else has had this experience but here goes.

went to give blood last night, queued about half an hour. at one stage a nurse came in and counted everyone in the waiting room, then let off a big sigh. then just before a nurse was about to stick a needle in me, another nurse comes over to inform her that about 15 more people had come in. she let off another sigh. obviously i understand they are human and it was getting close to the time the clinic was due to close but seriously. i thought nursing was more of a vocation that a job :confused:
    if they dont want donors then stop making appeals for them. if they do feel to need to moan and gripe could they at least make it less obvious. this isnt an isolated incident either, on another occasion a group of us from work went, and while conversing with a nurse i informed her of this, her jaw nearly dropped. she then quizzed me on how many more were due to attend before checking her watch.

summary: stop making people feel bad for attending and giving blood, they should be more grateful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I would absolutely love to give blood. But can't because of the living in England thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

not sure if anyone else has had this experience but here goes.

went to give blood last night, queued about half an hour. at one stage a nurse came in and counted everyone in the waiting room, then let off a big sigh. then just before a nurse was about to stick a needle in me, another nurse comes over to inform her that about 15 more people had come in. she let off another sigh. obviously i understand they are human and it was getting close to the time the clinic was due to close but seriously. i thought nursing was more of a vocation that a job :confused:
    if they dont want donors then stop making appeals for them. if they do feel to need to moan and gripe could they at least make it less obvious. this isnt an isolated incident either, on another occasion a group of us from work went, and while conversing with a nurse i informed her of this, her jaw nearly dropped. she then quizzed me on how many more were due to attend before checking her watch.

summary: stop making people feel bad for attending and giving blood, they should be more grateful

They do want donors and, I've found, are very grateful to those attending. I've given blood quite a few times and the phlebotomists I've had have always been courteous, professional and always happy to have a chat with you. On Monday when I donated I was thanked 4 or 5 times for coming. The phlebotomist had started working at 9 in the morning, would not be leaving until 9 that night and he hadn't stepped outside the building since he began work. He'd also been working all weekend and wouldn't have a day off until Thursday. They're working long hours, with a substantial workload, so perhaps at times they may not show their gratitude or even appear ungrateful but as you said, they're only human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Gave blood last night but I got there late because of work reasons.
    Arrived at 8.40pm and left at 11.45pm.

To be honest I would have been at home watching the football or playing PS3. So took the phone out read a few threads on here and listened to the football on the radio.

I am lucky have no real responsibilities like kids or stuff so its a few hours out of my life that hopefully will help someone who really needs it.

Oh and the staff were really polite and nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

oh well wrote: »
    Must be only Dublin that takes appointments - never heard of that before
    Must say, this is the first I ever heard of appointments. I've given blood in Sligo Mobile clinic since I was 18 (21 years, 43 donations), but they only come here 3-4 times a year, and there's never been any appointments that I'm aware of.

The last time I went to donate, I was waiting 25-30 minutes just to be registered, and having waited a further 45 minutes I still hadn't been seen to have my iron levels checked, I had to go as I had family committments. However, I e-mailed the IBTS, and a very nice woman contacted me within a couple of days apologising, and explaining that they are attempting to change the way in which the take donations, but the re-organisation of the work is taking a while to implement (I got the impression, although she never said, that there were IR issues).

I'll still return when they next have a clinic here, though, I'm going for the 50 donations and then I might meet the (next) President when s/he presents with my gold drop or whatever it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was supposed to have a donation on 25th for platelets, but switched it to the 20th just there. Originally did 25th cos of potential session on 19th, but screw that this much more important. Oddly enough I've grown to hate needles now since starting to donate blood(3.5 years ago). Lot of my friends too lazy to give blood:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RuthyB

I gave my first donation in St. Finbarr's last night. And its true, ya do get a 'kick' out of donating. Was in and out of there in about 45 mins, and will definately go back in another 90 days:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

RuthyB wrote: »
    I gave my first donation in St. Finbarr's last night. And its true, ya do get a 'kick' out of donating. Was in and out of there in about 45 mins, and will definately go back in another 90 days:D
    You do feel like you've done something good, don't you? A secondary benefit (which I hope never to have to use, tbh) is that if you ever need a blood transfusion, because you're a donor, you won't have to pay for it!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

oh well wrote: »
    Must be only Dublin that takes appointments - never heard of that before

I think it is only the fixed clinics that take appointments and not the mobile ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

I'm planning on heading in on Monday to donate,can I just call in to the place on D'Olier street,dont need to make an appointment or anything like?

My mates a nurse and is always on at me to go and do it so I can finally shut her up!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've given blood a few times in D'Olier Street and never had to make an appointment and was always seen quickly. Staff shortages and more people than expected showing up to donate might have been cause for long waiting times and I don't know what it's like at the moment but I always just walked in.
    If you are pushed for time, like you have a limit of an hour then HAVE to be somewhere you could give them a buzz before you head in to check they haven't just had a coach of 30 people arrive but usually it's grand there.

I want to respond to the appeal (especially since I'm A-) but have a kidney infection and am generally run down at the moment, boo. When I'm feeling better I'll load up on iron and multivitimins and head in.. as somebody said in the thread, a rush of people in Dec/Jan means there'll still be plenty needed again come February when hopefully I'll be able to go and do my bit. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Would love to give blood but heard once that i cant due to the ol "Mary Jane".. is this true??

Forgive the question if it sounds silly but what on earth does'' Mary Jane ''
    refer to ?:confused:

delancey42 wrote: »
    Forgive the question if it sounds silly but what on earth does'' Mary Jane ''
    refer to ?:confused:

MariJuana

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I cant give blood because Im on tablets years. My twin brother gives blood all the time so Im good by proxy.

sam34 wrote: »
    MariJuana

Thanks for that - you'll laught at this but in the war movie Full Metal Jacket there is a scene where the drill sergeant warns the recruits about the dangers of '' Mary Jane Rottencrotch '' ( i.e. STD's ). I thought perhaps Mary Janes referred to Syphillis :D:D

Thanks for that - you'll laught at this but in the war movie Full Metal Jacket there is a scene where the drill sergeant warns the recruits about the dangers of '' Mary Jane Rottencrotch '' ( i.e. STD's ). I thought perhaps Mary Janes referred to Syphillis :D:D

i doubt anyone would own up to that here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

eth0_ wrote: »
    I'd love to donate but alas I have tainted blood from living in the UK. I'll just give blood next time i'm in Belfast or the UK.

Doctors on this thread - is it true that the IBTS sometimes buy blood from their counterparts in N. Ireland?
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    I would absolutely love to give blood. But can't because of the living in England thing.

When I lived in the middle of nowhere, they came round every 6 months and I gave like clockwork.

When I moved to Dublin, I went in to Mespil Rd and gave every three months. Even got an award.

Then they started refusing people who lived in the UK since 1980. So now they reject me. Half of this country lived in the UK (and the way the recession is going - a lot more will), so they are doing themselves no favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

http://www.imt.ie/news/2010/01/ibts_agrees_to_plasma_sale.html

Funny this story broke the same day people were getting texts about a "severe shortage"

Im happy to give blood but not when some corporate c**ksucker is making money out of my genorosity. Stick your pencils up your arse, wont be giving blood again until I get a share of the profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

taytothief wrote: »
    http://www.imt.ie/news/2010/01/ibts_agrees_to_plasma_sale.html

Funny this story broke the same day people were getting texts about a "severe shortage"

Im happy to give blood but not when some corporate c**ksucker is making money out of my genorosity. Stick your pencils up your arse, wont be giving blood again until I get a share of the profits.

Did you read the story you linked to? Especially this bit of it I've copied below?
    Following ethical approval and a positive survey of its donors last year, the Service has agreed to ring fence the monies raised from the sale of plasma for various donor care initiatives, such as its haemochromatosis programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Did you read the story you linked to? Especially this bit of it I've copied below?
    Of course he didn't, nor did he apparently read the bit where they stated that getting rid of surplus plasma currently costs them money. Plus it's being put to a useful purpose, laboratory reagents, despite them being produced by an evil baby-eating "corporation" (who else did he expect to make them, I wonder?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I would donate but they won't accept me.

No, I am not a druggie or HIV positive, but I had surgery in Britain after 1 January 1980 (IBTS's choice of date) so I am blacklisted. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I cant give blood for various medical reasons but I have been told that I may need blood when my baby is born, one of you may be the person who saves my life, thanks in advance.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I cant give blood for various medical reasons but I have been told that I may need blood when my baby is born, one of you may be the person who saves my life, thanks in advance.

And if any of you are wondering why you should donate, there's your answer!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Then they started refusing people who lived in the UK since 1980. So now they reject me. Half of this country lived in the UK (and the way the recession is going - a lot more will), so they are doing themselves no favours.

They only omit people who lived in the UK for long enough to have /potentially/ contracted cjd during the times when bse was a problem. Its a risk minimisation thing, rather turn away some donors than give someone a blood borne disease because you cant test for it in those people you took on.

People who go to live there now arent' going to be at the same risk of cjd as those in the eighties/nineties. Though if new diseases occur in the future, no doubt the service will take these into account when defining donor requirements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Irish blood transfusion service have reported their Stocks are full a day or so ago. As in they have the full week and a half Supply. And they thanked everyone for donating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I rang the IBTS to ask were my 90 days up, because I was told to wait 90 days cos my Hb levels were low. They said I should stop taking iron tablets as it gives an "innacurate reflection of Hb levels". But surely iron is iron?

How do the IBTSB prevent donated blood from coagulating ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can never give blood because I had a blood transfusion 38 years ago - admittedly it was in Nairobi :) though I used to donate before that. We have an O- type in the family though, and there will not be a clinic locally till end February. Its a pity hospitals can't take blood.

• Advertisement

How do the IBTSB prevent donated blood from coagulating ?

They have a small amount of an anticoagulant drug in the bag before your blood goes in, AFAIK.
    Although I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

I went few days ago to donate but they told me i cant because i had a blood transfusion 15 years ago.

The thing is that in my country i am active donor the last 10 years. :)

The nurse told me that this restriction is only in Ireland and UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I had a look on the website and...
    Unfortunately, because of the risk of variant CJD you are unable to give blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Platelets donation appointment next Friday morning. No blood donations possible, due to this

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

If only I could give blood but the BTS think I've AIDS....

I realloy would love to give blood too... :(

Actually I should prob explain that the reason they think I've AIDS is because I was born nd lived in Botswana til i was 10 thus making me ineligible to give blood.

And then I have other health reasons which also make me ineligible. They really don't want my blood....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

Well I am gay and so therefore I must have AIDS and every other possible disease under the sun. But seriously, it has been about 10 years since I last gave blood.....before I was "out". Is it really true that if you are not attracted to the opposite sex, that you may not give blood? Please prove me wrong

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Gay males are excluded because of the risk category they inhabit. It's a matter of statistics and keeping the blood supplies as safe as possible in the easiest manner - excluding high risk donors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

TV wrote: »
    Well I am gay and so therefore I must have AIDS and every other possible disease under the sun. But seriously, it has been about 10 years since I last gave blood.....before I was "out". Is it really true that if you are not attracted to the opposite sex, that you may not give blood? Please prove me wrong
    This is an ongoing and contentious issue which I have campaigned about when a student and still want to see removed. At the time of this ban being introduced - homosexual men and drug users were just about the only two sources of HIV in ireland. Now though I believe homosexual men should be instead risk stratified as having a high risk contact or not - the final decision lies in the statistics showing this is possible.

The IBTS viewpoint is purely that of statistics and risk stratification of safety - it is not anti-homosexual. Its the same as the exclusion of CJD risk donors isn't anti-english

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Donated there on Thursday. It really is something worth doing. The staff in D'Olier street are very good. On number 7 now!

It was practically empty. A number of my friends tried, didn't have high enough iron count, 15.0 for me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

I really want to donate some blood because Im always hearing about the shortage.

Is there a regular clinic in the hospital in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

From the look of the calender there is a clinic in Greystones once every five months which is a real shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

they dont seem to make it easy to donate. Every time i have ever looked on the website they never have anything in a reasonable time frame or in a reasonable distance.

Im living in galway and saw this urgent demand!!! checked the website on the 10th January. They dont have anything in my area till the 4th of February and even at that its a 20 minute drive away from the city.

if they are always short in demand why not have a permanent location in every major city thats open 1 day a week and everything will be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

if they are always short in demand why not have a permanent location in every major city thats open 1 day a week and everything will be sorted.

Yeah but you see this is Ireland.. we don't do things that make logical sense here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

DubMedic wrote: »
    Yeah but you see this is Ireland.. we don't do things that make logical sense here.

Logic? What the hell is that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sirrah

I'd love to give blood, but I've been told by people that because I've had Leukeamia as a child that I can't give any, is this true, is there a doctor in the house????

• Advertisement

sirrah wrote: »
    I'd love to give blood, but I've been told by people that because I've had Leukeamia as a child that I can't give any, is this true, is there a doctor in the house????
    Dunno, there are restrictions in place depending on how much blood and where from you got it from. If you had leukaemia, you probably got a lot of various things.

I would suggest getting on to the IBTS. They'll have a much more detailed list to hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thankyou.jpg

In the newspaper today, well done to all who donated!

Advertisement