Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City & Utd Who will finish higher and why?

• 24-10-2011 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

This may get locked PDQ but not if everyone is on their best behaviour.

Which of the two Manchester clubs will finish higher and why - the why is important here, if you are a supporter rather than cheer leading, set out the reasons one or the other will prevail. This is not about which will win the league either as Chelsea should not be discounted (sorry Newcastle it won't last!)

Please state your allegiance at the top of your first post (not everyone will know)

Which club will finish higher 225 votes

Manchester City - I'm a city fan
    0%
    Manchester Utd - I'm a Utd fan
    4%
    folannlgbbbblthJuan Pabloxtal191Xavi6[Deleted User]SEPT 23 1989ironbluedunkarma_Scuba Ste 10 votes
    Manchester City - I follow another team
    41%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarPHBTacTFenixcournioniFighting IrishbassyBrian017Mr.Nice Guyjv2000gustafofish fingershomerjay2005me-skywalker[Deleted User]RandolphEsqNailzjonnyfingersNalzstovelid 93 votes
    Manchester Utd - I follow another team
    54%
    TwoShedsJacksonBounty HunterPalefaceRaskolnikovHelixChucky the treesionnachjesus_thats_greSuprSiefbKingp35cruiserweightmayordenisMr. PresentableVysemicksbasseyAuversbullpostRafloution 122 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I always think utd are the team to beat tbh and despite yesterdays result they won't be too far off top come May. Always very strong from January on.

City have the best squad but no experience in the run-in when the pressure is on.

Too close to call imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

City they're stronger all over the pitch and they can go out and spend loads of money in January If they need anymore players due to injury or w.hatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I always think utd are the team to beat tbh and despite yesterdays result they won't be too far off top come May. Always very strong from January on.

City have the best squad but no experience in the run-in when the pressure is on.

Too close to call imo.

i don't think this is true city have winners of leagues from their different previous teams all over

clichy
    dzeko
    2 x toures
    kompany
    hargreaves
    de jong
    balotelli

have all won league titles before
    silva won the world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Man United will finish above Man City this season.

Why? Because they will have a greater total of points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Paleface

City will finish higher because they have the best squad and can score goals at ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

United.

Because I've written them off every October for about 5 years now and I've only been right once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

City, because they don't have Evra at left back, a creaking Vidic and Ferdinand to choose from at the centre, an inept Anderson, Carrick and Fletcher in the centre (and we don't know how good Cleverly is yet).

They had Nasri on the becch yesterday, for gods sake.

The chickens are coming home to roost for United.

They somehow got away with it having no decent midfield for 5 years. Not this year. No one had a team then like City have now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Like I said at the start of the season, City would win the league and Aguero would be sensational. I think that City's squad is just so incredibly strong and packed full of amazing talent. What other team in the Premier League would be forced into sending out Adebayor on loan because there was no room for him and to leave Tevez to rot on the bench? United still have too many problems in their team. Ferdinand and Evra don't look like they have the stomach for the game anymore. Johnny Evans' confidence is just completely shot, perhaps irredeemably for his United career. The centre of midfield is still a problem, the likes of Anderson, Fletcher and Carrick are just not at the level of other top-level opposition teams. Offensively, I think United are fine, I think that the likes of Yaya Toure (the lungs and physicality) and Silva (the brain) are just the difference between the teams.

I don't support either team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The best team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

United Supporter

While everything is going great for City at present I don't see them qualifying out of their Champions League group. I think they'll have further problems from Balotelli down the line also.
    They'll have a blip in the league at some point and it will be interesting to see their reaction.

Overall I felt United would do enough to be above City this season at the start of the campaign and one result does not change my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

City, because we won 6-1 yesterday. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

city finished last season strong, this year they are continuing in that manner while at the same time getting stronger and becoming more of a team, that's why they could win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The big plus for Utd is Fergie - he makes average players above average and knows how to get the best out of people.

Utd have seen off the "money" challenge before and may do again, but it might take a season or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United fan. I think City will be the team to catch.

The only thing that may just see United get back into this race is if City go far in CL and they not been used to rotation like United have, but they have the squad now so will be hard to see City not winning it.

But Football is strange game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

s.welstead wrote: »
    United Supporter

While everything is going great for City at present I don't see them qualifying out of their Champions League group. I think they'll have further problems from Balotelli down the line also.
    They'll have a blip in the league at some point and it will be interesting to see their reaction.

Overall I felt United would do enough to be above City this season at the start of the campaign and one result does not change my mind.

Surely that'll be a help to City, no?

Delighted to see a new team finally pushing the more established teams. They've brought a lot of enjoyment back into the EPL. Imagine how boring this season would be if City were still a mid-table team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

City have to prove they can beat teams consistently over the course of the season.

there is nobody better than Utd at doing that, especially come January.

also City have tough games coming up which they have to get through.

writing off Utd is something i stopped doing about 5 years ago, because it just leaves you with egg on your face.

Utd don't have to be able to beat City to win the League, they just have to beat everyone else more than City beat everyone else.

people often miss that aspect of winning a League campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Utd are always awesome on the run in, I think they will still take it. It will be interesting to see how City react when they hit a poor run of form, and I can see them dropping points in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I took my time with this and eventually went with City.

I think it will be close at the end and we have to see how City handle being front runners over a season.

Utd will recover from the defeat but there just did seem to be something monumental about yesterday's result that signified a transfer of power and I'm not sure if the Utd squad can stop it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have to go with UTD, they have the experience and have done it time and time again.

City will bottle it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Surely that'll be a help to City, no?

I don't think so. They need to at least make the knockout stages. Besides it will mean they drop into the Europa which is more awkward with fixtures being on a Thursday.
    Anything less than the knockout stages and it will put pressure on Mancini and cause problems in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »
    Utd don't have to be able to beat City to win the League, they just have to beat everyone else more than City beat everyone else.

people often miss that aspect of winning a League campaign.

Exactly.

This is what Liverpool were unable to do a few seasons ago when they were in for the title. However, in saying that, more often than not that aspect comes with squad depth, where City are scarily strong.

It's pretty neck & neck for me to be honest. City have the better team & squad. United have been there, done that though & pretty much own the t-shirt. Interesting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm just glad there isn't a "City-I'm a United Fan" option :D

Still coming to terms with yesterday but only positive I have from it is that our results against the top 3/4 haven't been great in the last few years and we've still managed to do it.

However, Citeh offer the strongest opposition in a long while and I have a feeling that we can't slip up against the big four top few teams this time around.

If we're within 5-8 points of them come crimbo, I'd take that, I know there are plenty of winners in the citeh squad but they haven't won (the league) as a team yet and that will have an influence.
    I'll also live in the hope that it's a squad with quite a few volatile players, when the pressure gets heaped on them, I'm hoping some cracks begin to appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't know yet myself. I'm intrigued to see how City overall. Their run of fixtures is nice up to November, but then it gets very tough very fast.

If City are still in front by the time of the January break, I'd be pretty sure they'll win the league. However, I think United are going to go on a big run soon. After Everton away this weekend, it goes: Sunderland - H; Swansea - A; Newcastle - H; Villa - A; Wolves - H; QPR - A; Fulham - A; Wigan - H; Blackburn - H; Newcastle - A.

That my friends is what you call ten incredibly winnable games. It would not surprise me if the current team could pick up 27 out of 30 points in those games. Have a look at City's games below, do you think they'll drop more than 8? Because if they do, it'll be neck and neck going into January.

Tuesday, 22 November 2011
    Napoli v Man City, GpA, 19:45

Sunday, 27 November 2011
    Liverpool v Man City, 16:00

Saturday, 3 December 2011
    Man City v Norwich, 15:00

Wednesday, 7 December 2011
    Man City v Bayern Munich, GpA, 19:45

Monday, 12 December 2011
    Chelsea v Man City, 20:00

Sunday, 18 December 2011
    Man City v Arsenal, 16:10

Wednesday, 21 December 2011
    Man City v Stoke, 19:45

Monday, 26 December 2011
    West Brom v Man City, 15:00

Sunday, 1 January 2012
    Sunderland v Man City, 15:00

Tuesday, 3 January 2012
    Man City v Liverpool, 20:00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I think the schedule for United has been more testing early on, they've had to put more into their games so far and had the mental tests already. The November Int breaking could be a blessing to United. December is pivotal.

Man Utd December - Villa, Wolves, QPR, Fulham, Wigan, Blackburn
    Man City December - Chelsea, Arsenal, Stoke, WBA, Sunderland, Liverpool

If United are within 3 points in December Ill stick with United as Im expecting us to be getting at least 16pts(5wins 1 draw) from them 6 games and City getting approx 13pts(3wins 1 draw).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If city fail to qualify to knockout rounds of CL id put them as favs...

Heart says champs will be united, head says 2nd place and CL quarters for the reds this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

City are playing good stuff right now but let's see if they can keep that up over a whole season. The jury is still out on that one. United have been there and done it and their consistency and experience will come into play as the season wears on. So for me United would still be the safer bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I think people are reading too much into one freak result, City do have a stronger squad than us, but I think the United mentality/experience/Fergie Factor will prove too strong again.

United definitely do have a bit of work now to pick themselves up after yesterdays result. 6-1 was mad, and to be fair it was only 3-1 until the 90th minute and the whole team just switched off.

We've bounced back from such results before:

Tottenham Hotspurs 4-1 Manchester United 1995/96 (won the league)
    Southampton 6-3 Manchester United 1996/97 (won the league)
    Newcastle United 5-0 Manchester United 1996/97 (won the league)
    Chelsea 5-0 Manchester United 1999/00 (won the league)
    Manchester United 1-4 Liverpool 2008/09 (won the league)
    Manchester United 1-6 Manchester City 2011/12 (will win the league ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

curry-muff wrote: »
    I think people are reading too much into one freak result

That's all it was, a freak. United and City could play again a hundred times and you'd never get anything like that sort of scoreline. City can enjoy this one for now but the league was never won in October and they'll be well aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I posted this elsewhere but let's remember the score was 3-1 with two minutes of normal time left. Had Smalling scored that header on 86 minutes, well, who knows, aunty, balls, etc.....

The reason I mention this is that it wasn't the merciless hiding in football terms that many will think it is so if I was a City fan I wouldn't be getting too carried away although I would definitely be hugely optimistic as they are clearly a force to be reckoned with now.

But as a United fan I would be concerned simply because of one word: midfield. United's midfield is not up to scratch and they've been getting away with it for the last few years. Any great team worth its salt has one blue-chip, marquee player in midfield and United don't. Signing Wesley Sneijder last summer would have remedied that situation. His ability to retain the ball would ease the pressure on the defence and his eye for goal would add an extra dimension to the attack.

They have to get him in January if they are to challenge for major honours this season. If they don't I think City will win the Premier League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

His ability to retain the ball would ease the pressure on the defence and his eye for goal would add an extra dimension to the attack.

this isn't the problem in your midfield.

the problem is teams are bypassing it too easily when they have it, and are getting at the back 4 with alarming regularity.

Advertisement