Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Ready to rock, only hassle is that Park has the key.

He is just obsessed with ruining my week.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Heard a great description of Park today: He's like a young pup chasing a ball, hasn't a clue what to do when he gets it but he'll run after it all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

POSSY wrote: »
    Given Wigan just beat NUFC 4-0 and have QPR at home who were beaten 6-1 in a derby match against Chelski, plus City being more than up for it after last night, if both Utd and City win both games (and us beating Sunderland is by no means a guarantee), if I was a betting man I'd be putting money on City scoring more goals than we do. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a case of us eeking out a victory on Sunday.

Perfect time perhaps for 2 great servants to the club,O'Shea and O.G., to come to our rescue!
    Who is this, forgive me as its been a long day in work: OWN GOAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Who is this, forgive me as its been a long day in work
    Cast your mind back to the 2009/10 season, OG chipped in with 10 goals that season, a great return IMO. Losing OG has lost us the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Owen_S wrote: »
    Cast your mind back to the 2009/10 season, OG chipped in with 10 goals that season, a great return IMO. Losing OG has lost us the title.

One of our finest players that season. Made a few appearances the following season if I recall correctly. Truly the embodiment of value for money in the market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Who's saying Gotze, Martinez etc. would want to play here?

Rafael and Valencia on the right and moving Rooney back up as a striker should be where we build next year.

If Berbabtov is gone I think we'll go in for a new striker. But I don't see where the money comes from to pump into this team what it needs; 2 CM's, a striker and a LB.

We've been really poor against the decent teams this year. City (H & A) and European games.

The team needs a leader in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Who's saying Gotze, Martinez etc. would want to play here?

Or that they are even on Fergies radar. All these CM's getting mentioned in the press and I have the sinking feeling Fergie has no intention of buying any of them.

The Journalists are making suggestions and Fergie is probably not even monitoring said player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Assuming City beat Newcastle on sunday are there any tactics united could use to try and maxmise there goals outlay v swansea?

How about this

de gea

Valencia---Smalling----Rio
    Evra

Scholes--Rooney

Nani
    Young

Chico---Berba/Welbeck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Lol, we'll need some balance in midfield, Carrick has so play and it would be silly to take our biggest goal scoring threat and push him deep into midfield.

Also, we can forget about winning the title on goal difference. Swansea haven't be hammered many times at all this season and aren't just going to roll over, we'd be lucky to get a 2/3 goal win. Personally I'd take any win.

We are highly unlikely to hammer Sunderland as well, they've barely lost a game at home in 2012.

All we can do is take 6 points from our games and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

kryogen wrote: »
    Goetze in a 2 man midfield would not work, that would be obvious to anybody who watched him, same with Kagawa for that matter :)

Seriously? So were United to sign either they'd be a bust???

I've seen little of either player to be able to say whether they are limited in the number of systems they can play in.

So that pretty much rules out a raft of players as it is unlikely that Ferguson would stray too far from 4-4-2. Or would he? Is that the grand plan in your estimation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

De Gea

-Rafael - Rio - Evans - Evra

Valencia-Scholes-Carrick-Nani

Rooney-Chicharito

Smalling for Evans if he cant make it, Chicharito in for the injured Welbeck, he scored in the Liberty Stadium aswell. No bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

LMAO - this thread has become fcukin hillarious, made up of the deluded trying to pick a team to score 14 goals in 2 games and the confused trying to work out where it all went wrong - MODS can we please sticky this ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Assuming City beat Newcastle on sunday are there any tactics united could use to try and maxmise there goals outlay v swansea?

How about this

de gea

Evra

Scholes--Rooney

Nani
    Young

Chico---Berba/Welbeck

DDG
    -Raf----Evans---Rio---evra-
    ----Carrick
    Scholes----
    Valencia--Young--Nani---
    Rooney

Never gonna happen anyways

Pro. F wrote: »
    Just the occasional kick-about these days. Since even the professionals are clueless more often than not, your word won't hold any more weight if you play more.

You are completely wrong and being totally unfair to Rooney. I watched the game back just now (only the bits involving Rooney) to check that my impression of the game was correct and here is what happened:

He showed for and laid the ball off successfully 26 times. (This also includes one winning a of free kick and one decent cross that just didn't connect - those two were worth including imo, but you can leave them out if you want.) So that is a lot more than the zero times you are ridiculously trying to claim. 14 of those times he did it while under close pressure from an opposition player and 12 of those times he linked up after receiving a pass in some space. This space he had to work very hard to find for the majority of the game, until Welbeck came on at the hour mark and Rooney could drop deeper. Rooney's running off the ball to find the gaps between the defenders while he was the furthest forward was excellent and, unsurprisingly, he wore himself out doing it.

He made seven straightforward mistakes (misplaced passes etc): in the 45th, 52nd, 54th, 57th, 71st, 86th and 89th minutes. Fatigue was clearly a factor in the later ones and tbh I'm being very harsh calling the first three straightforward mistakes.

He got his pocket picked cleanly three times and lost the ball while fighting for it four times. None of it was particularly bad play on Rooney's part and it was absolutely nothing like the fecklessness that you are saying it was.

Yes there were three times where he didn't compete properly for the ball in the air, but there were also five other times when he did. He is not a good target man and playing long balls to him is a bad plan anyway. He did fine for his size.

And you are still ignoring the fact that he was going up against the two centre backs and whichever fullbacks and central midfielders were around when United broke forward. The defenders don't have to be in contact to be causing the striker problems, they can cut off his options and box him in which is just as important.

With regard to the FBs, Rooney moved into the channel between them and the CBs a lot while he was up front and so gave them lots of work to do when United broke forward. The fact that the City fullbacks did a lot of getting forward is because United ceded/lost so much ground in the midfield and let City come onto them, you can't blame Rooney for that. He still gave them plenty of defending to do when the ball came his way; it is impressive when you consider how isolated he was. The fact that the FBs didn't make many tackles does not mean that they didn't have to get into position to cover what Rooney was doing and take away his options.

I know Rooney has played poorly at times recently, but this type of criticism for last nights game is nonsense. I've seen it before. United play completely defensively and attack in dribs and drabs and people complain when Rooney doesn't win the game single handedly. They ignore the fact that he is physically unsuited to that role and still works his balls off and deals as best as he can with the long balls, while finding space and linking up the play excellently. They see him tiring and playing a few bad passes and suddenly he's supposed to be a part of the problem. It's not his fault that it didn't work out last night, it's Ferguson's for not supporting him properly.

You're some man for giving the orders.

Good post I doff my cap to your fastidious defence of Rooney! That is genuinely an exceptional riposte and I stand corrected on the facts.

Now isn't easier* to debate with facts and points as opposed to e-strutting around like a little banter cock calling people retarded. ;)

*maybe not easier seeing as you had to watch that ****e again but you get the drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

How about this

de gea

Evra

Scholes--Rooney

Nani
    Young

Chico---Berba/Welbeck

Rooney

Valencia --- Carrick --- Evra

Nani --- Scholes --- Cleverley --- Young

Welbz --- Berba --- Chico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Would love to see Berba play Sunday. Well, if he was even near match fit. Chico is completely out of form in terms of link up play and has a dose of 'second-season-syndrome'. Welbeck is out with an injury which means we'll more than likely line up with Rooney up top on his own with Valencia and Young down the wings, and any one of Carrick, Scholes, Keane, Butt, Ince or Blackmore through the midfield.

Ah Berba, if only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Not sure if Welbeck has been ruled out yet. He's only got heavy bruising, could yet make it.

United need to first consider containing a useful Swansea midfield. There will be no goal glut unless United absolutely shellack them in the first ten. Beat them out the gate before the thirty minute mark. It needs to be Chelsea v QPR last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Just watching the vinny browne show and he was reviewing the papers and in the front of the Star is the headline Fergies 100m Spree, assume this is bs. Got me thinking who would i buy for that.
    Baines
    Martinez
    Ronaldo(Please come back)
    The no value line will be used this due to the high prices caused by Euro 2012. Should be working on deals NOW.

If there is a scintilla of truth in any of this transfer stuff I'd wager on official word coming on deals before the season ends. You've seen Marin and Podolski deals tied up, I'd imagine United will operate similarly. I doubt there would be players signed solely on the basis of an impressive euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,220 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

£100 million? Yeah right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

100m?
    Clyne
    Gotze
    Hazard

Wouldn't cost close to it.

Is there any need for more than 2 cm and a lb?

Eathrin wrote: »
    100m?
    Clyne
    Gotze
    Hazard

You'd have a fair chunk of change left out of 100m even after those three!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Eathrin wrote: »
    100m?
    Clyne
    Gotze
    Hazard

Wouldn't cost close to it.

Is there any need for more than 2 cm and a lb?

Is Clyne not a RB?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Good post I doff my cap to your fastidious defence of Rooney! That is genuinely an exceptional riposte and I stand corrected on the facts.
    Fair play.
    Now isn't easier* to debate with facts and points as opposed to e-strutting around like a little banter cock calling people retarded. ;)
    Hmm, you called the first reactions to your Rooney argument brain dead, I called your argument retarded. Seems like we were both at it a bit. I think I did get a little too aggressive though and I apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Fair play.

Hmm, you called the first reactions to your Rooney argument brain dead, I called your argument retarded. Seems like we were both at it a bit. I think I did get a little too aggressive though and I apologise.

Are you no longer a mod???

tvercetti wrote: »
    Are you no longer a mod???

Joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Joke?

No, thought you were a mod yesterday, thought ye were talking about it in here.

Hope I didnt cause offence, I always read your posts, your a top poster, I don't necessarily agree always but at least you don't talk sh!t like some.

tvercetti wrote: »
    No, thought you were a mod yesterday, thought ye were talking about it in here.

Hope I didnt cause offence, I always read your posts, your a top poster, I don't necessarily agree always but at least you don't talk sh!t like some.

Nope, wasn't me. Maybe you were thinking of G.K. He posts in here a fair bit and has just become a mod.

Certainly no offence taken and thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Would love to see Berba play Sunday. Well, if he was even near match fit. Chico is completely out of form in terms of link up play and has a dose of 'second-season-syndrome'. Welbeck is out with an injury which means we'll more than likely line up with Rooney up top on his own with Valencia and Young down the wings, and any one of Carrick, Scholes, Keane, Butt, Ince or Blackmore through the midfield.

Ah Berba, if only.

Did you know that not including Thierry Henry, going into last week Javier Hernandez had the 3rd best goals to minutes ratio in the Premier League behind Sergio Aguero and Papiss Cisse?

I've noticed this "2nd season syndrome" thing pop up, and to be honest, the emergence of Welbeck and an injury lay-off mean he has not able to get up and running the way he did last year, where he hit most of his goals in the run-in. Therfore I find that a harsh judgement to come to. His build up play has been very poor, he has looked rusty, but without a decent run in the team how can he improve? Javier Hernandez has scored 12 goals this season, in my opinion, had he played more than a brief substitute role in games like Wigan, Aston Villa, QPR, Fulham, Everton and Norwich (not to mention last night vs City, how would we have done if we had the Rooney-Chich partnership that pushed us over the line last year?), he could definitely be pushing 20 again. I'm not saying Danny Welbeck should not be getting the time he is, in fact I think it will help both Danny, United and England in the future, I just don't think Javier has been utilised to full effect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement