Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve Bruce has left Sunderland.

• 30-11-2011 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

SAFCofficial Sunderland AFC
    Sunderland Football Club have parted company with manager Steve Bruce.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

daithijjj wrote: »
    SAFCofficial Sunderland AFC
    Sunderland Football Club have parted company with manager Steve Bruce.

Been on the cards a while I think.

http://www.safc.com/news/20111130/sunderland-part-company-with-manager_2256213_2533347
    Sunderland Football Club has confirmed today that the club has parted company with manager Steve Bruce.
    Bruce joined the Black Cats from Wigan Athletic in the summer of 2009.
    Speaking about the announcement, chairman Ellis Short said: "This has been a difficult time for everyone at Sunderland and is not a situation that any of us envisaged or expected to be in.
    "It is my job as chairman to act in the best interests of our football club at all times and I can assure everyone that this is not a decision that I have taken lightly. Sadly results this season have simply not been good enough and I feel the time is right to make a change.
    "Steve has acted with honesty and integrity throughout, which is testament to the character and commitment he has shown during his time at Sunderland.
    "I would like to personally place on record my thanks to him for his significant contribution to our football club over the past two and a half years and everyone here at Sunderland naturally wishes him the very best for the future.
    "I would also like to thank our fans, who have endured a trying start to the season. Their support continues to be the driving force behind our club and is vital as we now look to the future."
    The club will now begin its search for a new manager and will make a further announcement in due course. Assistant manager Eric Black will take charge of first team duties in the interim period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

left or sacked?

retalivity wrote: »
    left or sacked?

Looks like sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Probably trot out the "parted ways by mutual consent" line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

good riddance. a useless manager, who somehow manages to be given jobs by idiotic owners anyway.

what odds he will be in the blackburn hot seat by January?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No surprise, once Quinn was moved sideways Bruce was doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

No surprise, bookies stopped taking bets on him yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They really need to appoint somebody who can buy players. They've been disastrous with some of the signings they made even in the Keane days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

Howay Fat Head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

They should never have sold Bent but really bad signings by Bruce - Man Utd rejects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Sacked....Stevie Wonder could see that one coming!!!!

All talk now for Martin O'Neill r Mark Hughes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Paging Paully D :p

I wonder what odds the bookies will give for Martin O'Neill to take over the Sunderland hotseat?

Martin O'Neill could make a fortune laying odds for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Brilliant news.

As I said in the other thread a couple of days ago, there has been some good from Bruce's reign, but ultimately it was time for change.

I hope we're ambitious and throw everything at Rafa, but realistically Mark Hughes would be my choice.

If O'Neill gets it I'll be banned from here fairly quickly I'd say :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Paully D wrote: »
    Brilliant news.

As I said in the other thread a couple of days ago, there has been some good from Bruce's reign, but ultimately it was time for change.

I hope we're ambitious and throw everything at Rafa, but realistically Mark Hughes would be my choice.

If O'Neill gets it I'll be banned from here fairly quickly I'd say :pac:

Hard to think of someone worse than Rafa to take over bar maybe Sven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Hope for Sunderland fans it is Mark Hughes, rather than Mr. O'Neill.

Bruce was useless, i have never witnessed such a tactically inept/stubborn manager.

Warper wrote: »

He'd be the best manager the club will have ever had in fairness. We're Sunderland, not Barcelona.

I'd love a foreign manager like him who'd introduce tactics, shape, formations and a methodology to our play rather than the "lump it forward ASAP" British managers that we could hope to attract.

Anyway, to be honest we'd probably here the laughs from over here if Sunderland rang him asking if he was interested.

Hughes is the best of the realistic candidates IMO. He has a track record of doing it at similar sized clubs on a budget similar to what he'd get with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

He'd be the best manager the club will have ever had in fairness. We're Sunderland, not Barcelona.

I'd love a foreign manager like him who'd introduce tactics, shape, formations and a methodology to our play rather than the "lump it forward ASAP" British managers that we could hope to attract.

Anyway, to be honest we'd probably here the laughs from over here if Sunderland rang him asking if he was interested.

Hughes is the best of the realistic candidates IMO. He has a track record of doing it at similar sized clubs on a budget similar to what he'd get with us.

Mark "young and ambitious" Hughes? Best keep your budget up or he'll leave you in the lurch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

His transfer record at Blackburn was very very good, he got the best out of McCarthy and Santa Cruz and Bentley - also made the club money on the turnaround of those players.

He signed Samba and Nelsen for a combined total of £400,000, a partnership that provided the foundation for his relative success at Blackburn.

At Man City his signings were hit and miss in my opinion, but I would love to have him back at Blackburn, but would be happy to see him get the Sunderland job.

This is bad news for Man Utd players who are deemed surplus to requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

mike65 wrote: »
    This is bad news for Man Utd players who are deemed surplus to requirements.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭doc_17

Bruce's face was redder than usual this past few weeks so I'd be a bit worried about the pressure of the job us taking its toll.

Never liked him as a manger. At times he didn't show proper respect to other managers......especially foreign managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If Sunderland make the right appointment they could become a very very good team. Chairman seems to know what he's up ta

Always liked them anyways (especially when they had Steve Bould at CB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Warper wrote: »

I think he would be an excellent appointment, although I'm not sure if he would take the job.

Martin O'Neill is vastly overrated in my opinion, Mark Hughes could certainly do a good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The decision is not surprise really. He needed good results in the Fulham and Wigan games, let alone the games that were coming up.
    I hope the manager coming in can give youth a chance while naturally moving the club forward. Meyler for one who's been unlucky with injury is hopefully going to break through and stay injury free this season.

If they have any ambition they will get Rafa - Quinn is gallivanting around the world drumming up funds/sponsorship/links, having a La Liga/UEFA Cup/FA Cup/Champions League winning manager would trump SLP/FA Trophy winning manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Underground

Hughes would be a good choice and would definitely have it in him to steady the ship.

If I was a Sunderland fan I'm not sure I'd want him though, has a very inflated opinion of himself and probably wouldn't stay around too long,especially if he did well. Left Fulham after a year because he harboured "bigger" ambitions, which I thought was a bit ridiculous.

I would say go for O'Neill. He was first choice before we went for Keane. Being a Championship club at the time didn't appeal to O'Neill but surely now is the time?

Allardyce wouldn't be accepted after his Maggots stint and is doing the rebuilding job expected at the hammers. Moyes other choice but costly. Hughes possible choice, I'd say third after O'Neill or Moyes.

Martin O'Neill is the man for the job. Done well everywhere he has gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭doc_17

I don't think Rafa would go to Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd love to see Rafa get the job. He's massively divisive, but is the kind of manager capable of establishing a team like Sunderland at a higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭pavb2

I'd go with Hughes over MON been said before MON's financial dealings got out of control at Villa especially wages. MON might be OK with a firm director of football taking responsibility for transfers and wages but would MON stand for this?

With the sad passing of Gary Speed what chance Hughes back to Wales anyway

The best options I think would be Moyes (would need cash to build a team) or Paul lambert I'd take these over Rafa

Bruce should go to Blackburn might not be a bad move for them under present circumstances

Mark Hughes will be interviewed tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

If they have any ambition they will get Rafa - Quinn is gallivanting around the world drumming up funds/sponsorship/links, having a La Liga/UEFA Cup/FA Cup/Champions League winning manager would trump SLP/FA Trophy winning manager

Doubt if Rafa would go there tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Doubt if Rafa would go there tbh.
    They're not that far off liverpool stature.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer O'Neill to Hughes. He turned Villa around and got three 6th places and to Wembley.
    I wouldn't discount Rafa, he rushed into the Inter job but having been out for a while I think he'll do well in his next job.
    Moyes would be my top choice but would he leave Everton, compensation then would be an issue. I can't see at the moment what else he can do with Everton. If he had the money Bruce has had to spend, he'd do a fantastic job and his team plays good football. Every time Sunderland have played them, Everton have always had that cutting edge, better passing and better all round game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hughes is the man I'd say. Bruce made some good signings but similar to AVB at Chelsea it just hasn't clicked. Ultimately a last minute goal consigned him to the sack, if Wigan don't win that game Bruce is still in a job. Shows the fickle nature of football management.

Can I ask all the Sunderland fans on here what their expectations are for Sunderland?

Liam O wrote: »
    Can I ask all the Sunderland fans on here what their expectations are for Sunderland?

Top half for me, so 10th.

That said, I do realise it's not always possible with a team like us and we will be up and down so mid-table with no relegation fears all season and no long, win-less run would also be acceptable to me.

I really don't think that's too much to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Top half for me, so 10th.

That said, I do realise it's not always possible with a team like us and we will be up and down so mid-table with no relegation fears all season and no long, win-less run would also be acceptable to me.

I really don't think that's too much to ask.
    hmm yeah about what I thought, and I think you have the squad to do it and would have eventually clicked. It may come to fruition for the new manager, we'll see. Would you be happy/satisfied with a 15th place finish at this moment in time?

Liam O wrote: »
    hmm yeah about what I thought, and I think you have the squad to do it and would have eventually clicked. It may come to fruition for the new manager, we'll see. Would you be happy/satisfied with a 15th place finish at this moment in time?

Considering we're only 5 points off 8th place at the moment with a new manager to come in and have the January transfer window, I can't say I'd be happy with 15th. Our fixtures do get trickier over the next couple of months, but I wouldn't expect Norwich, Swansea and QPR to be where they are come the end of the season and I think we could finish ahead of them at least. You look at Stoke who are struggling in the PL with Europe and will get through the group stages, so I think we can finish ahead of them, and West Brom and Fulham aren't frightening me either.

Remember, we have the best goal difference outside the top 7, I know it's not a great indication of anything, but it shows we have the basis of something solid for the new manager to work with.

Would I be happy with say 12th? Yes, I would. But I think we can certainly finish better than 15th.

A finish of around 12th should be the aim this season for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    They're not that far off liverpool stature.

bowiedisapproves.gif

I'd expect top half. I know there isn't a whole lot between a certain number of clubs. I think it was a tall order though without a decent striker up front. It's important to score goals and take chances in the Premier League. With Bent and Gyan having left, no able replacements have come in. Questions have to be asked why Bent and Gyan wanted to leave as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Don't think Moyes would go for you either, I reckon he's holding out for something bigger than Everton.

Sunderland have a good squad, the right manager could do wonders. Holloway maybe? Big Sam?

The likes of Rafa and Moyes are unrealistic, I agree.

It's basically a straight shoot-out between Hughes and O'Neill now. Hughes is being interviewed tomorrow. Hopefully it all goes well and he's appointed quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You would have to wonder what changed between now and February when they gave him a new contract or even the Summer where they had enough faith in him to give him the Bent funds to buy an entire new first eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

This was coming, Bruce has been saying crazy things all season. His heart didnt seem to be in the job and he didnt seem to want to fight for it any more.

flahavaj wrote: »
    You would have to wonder what changed between now and February when they gave him a new contract or even the Summer where they had enough faith in him to give him the Bent funds to buy an entire new first eleven.

A lot of people actually said at the time that it was ridiculous to give him that contract when we did.

My own theory is that possibly Ellis Short gave it to him on the back of Quinn's advice, and as results stuttered again, Ellis said to himself that he was going to start doing things his way rather than listening to Quinn on footballing matters, which culminated in our chief executive and board members leaving and being replaced by Ellis's own men, and Quinn taking up this pointless role.

I basically think Short has said he's doing things his way now and that's that.

sundula wrote: »
    This was coming, Bruce has been saying crazy things all season. His heart didnt seem to be in the job and he didnt seem to want to fight for it any more.

I'd disagree when you say that his heart didn't seem to be in it.

Personally I think he really tried his very, very best and put everything into it. It was his one big opportunity that he had worked his way up for and it hasn't worked out the way he would have liked.

I can criticise him for a lot of things but lack of effort isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I would disagree, in the last 3 - 4 weeks he seemed very dejected, I detected no real passion and he seemed to be a man who knew he was heading for the door.

I general I would agree that Bruce has tried his best and was very motivated and eager when he got the position and he got good money to spend and got good results. This season just seems to have dragged him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Mark Hughes:eek:!!! is he really the right man? If i was a sunderland fan i would be more than a bit concerned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement