Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's Most Interesting Bridges

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Well, as every other bridge in the country, including some VERY interesting motorway bridges (I can't find the sarcasm tag), has been posted, I think we need some real class.
    BAM!
    nineteenarches.jpg
    That's the Nineteen Arches Bridge, otherwise known as the LONGEST hand-built stone arch bridge in Ireland.
    What? You only see 13 arches? THEY DON'T MAKE CAMERAS WIDE ENOUGH TO BESTOW ALL OF IT'S GLORY.
    Never fear, it DOES live up to it's name, and it is FRIKKEN BADASS.
    What did you say?! It looks old?! Kid, this top tier human achievement was built in SEVENTEEN FIFTY NINE.
    Let's see YOU build a damned bridge that lasts 252 years AND stays modern looking. Punk.
    Finally, I hear you ask "Where can I see this classy piece of Engineering?". Over the Avoca River.
    The BEST river that flows through Arklow. Which is also the BEST town in Wicklow. And probably Leinster too.

OK "interesting" might not be the correct term, Notorious may be more correct.

Garrycastle Bridge Athlone, well past it's sell by date.

157212.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What? You only see 13 arches? THEY DON'T MAKE CAMERAS WIDE ENOUGH TO BESTOW ALL OF IT'S GLORY.
    They do, actually...

[url="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/3532/157238.jpg[/img][/url]

Click the picture to see it with Google Maps :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

23042011367.jpg
    By tippspur59 at 2011-04-25
    Kilsheelan Bridge Co Tipperary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Re the Garrycastle bridge.

I presume this article refers:
    http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2011/02/09/4003057-shortfall-of-375m-in-funding-for-garrycastle-bridge-/

Interesting comment from Irish Rail there. I wasn't aware bridge headroom was a problem on THAT line... at least not since 1987.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

The problemm wasn't / isn't with the existing bridge.

The design of the replacement bridge was too low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm amazed they're bothering to protect the loading gauge there, first bit of proactiveness from IE in that regard I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Sorry don't have my own pic of it but don't think the bridge known at least locally as the 'oldest bridge in Ireland' was mentioned yet?

King John's Bridge, Lucan.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuiecarrick/4262456908/

Described at bottom of this:
    http://parks.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=74&Itemid=134

And here, looking a lot less photogenic:
    http://www.rpa.ie/en/rpa/archaeology/Pages/LuasLucan.aspx

It's located here:
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=53.348678&mlon=-6.439212&zoom=18&layers=M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry don't have my own pic of it but don't think the bridge known at least locally as the 'oldest bridge in Ireland' was mentioned yet?
    Possibly not true.

While this is a fake clapper bridge, there will have been older bridges. http://www.monasette.com/blog/gallery/bunlahinch/index.htm

http://www.buildingsofireland.com/niah/search.jsp?type=images&county=NC&regno=20901724

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/981065

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Here's one, built in 1849. It partly collapsed a few years ago after a Limerick to Waterford train passed over it:

DSCF4338.jpg

DSCF4337.jpg

DSCF4340.jpg

DSCF4342.jpg

DSCF4353.jpg

DSCF4352.jpg

DSCF4348.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Cahir was the scene of a more serious accident in 1955 when a beet train fell through the floor of the viaduct killing the driver and fireman. http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/cahir_railway_tragedy_remembered_1_2255576 There is a plaque in the station commemorating the event.

Fairly bad photo here of the bridge over the Suir in Cahir. Dates from approximately 1700 and carried the N24 until October 2007. I'll try to get a better photo from the base of the castle at some stage:

DSCF4331.jpg

DSCF4332.jpg

The exact cause of the 1955 Cahir Accident remains shrouded in mystery to this day due to the death of the driver and fireman. The Inquiry report is available online - somewhere - but for now I include a link to the Limerick Leader from the day after the crash which may be of interest. http://limerickcity.ie/media/Disaster%2013.pdf

I lived in the old schoolhouse, overlooking the East end of the viaduct, during the early 1990's and during that time there was yet another accident in the immediate vicinity. That time it was a Limerick bound cement train, I think, but it cleared the viaduct before derailing and many of the wagons ending up in nearby fields.

The exact cause of the 1955 Cahir Accident remains shrouded in mystery to this day due to the death of the driver and fireman. The Inquiry report is available online - somewhere - but for now I include a link to the Limerick Leader from the day after the crash which may be of interest. http://limerickcity.ie/media/Disaster%2013.pdf

I lived in the old schoolhouse, overlooking the East end of the viaduct, during the early 1990's and during that time there was yet another accident in the immediate vicinity. That time it was a Limerick bound cement train, I think, but it cleared the viaduct before derailing and many of the wagons ending up in nearby fields.

I'd never heard anything about that crash ere you mentioned it. I'll try to get a photo of the plaque on the wall of the railway station over the next week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cahir 1955 is referred to in the 2003 report http://www.raiu.ie/uploads/raiu/cahir_viaduct.pdf
    MYOB wrote: »
    I'm amazed they're bothering to protect the loading gauge there, first bit of proactiveness from IE in that regard I've ever seen.
    They have gradually been increasing the height of a large number of bridges, so that trains can carry higher containers.

Is this the bridge? http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Garrycastle+Cottages,+Athlone,+County+West+Meath&hl=en&ll=53.422781,-7.90153&spn=0.00771,0.022724&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=7.904187,23.269043&geocode=Fd0tLwMdvXiH_w&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.422698,-7.90156&panoid=7nHJdOgXYz9wBdcQQaRGTw&cbp=12,179.08,,0,25.39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Victor wrote: »
    Is this the bridge?

That's the old bridge. The new one is to be to the East of that one. Plans here.

Victor wrote: »

Its on a "closed" line Victor, hence my incredulousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I seem to remember CIE holding up the M6 motorway near Galway, when they insisted that the motorway bridge over the single track had to be wide enough for any possible future double track from Dublin to Galway.

• Advertisement

Retaining the option of a second track even! My oh my.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I seem to remember CIE holding up the M6 motorway near Galway, when they insisted that the motorway bridge over the single track had to be wide enough for any possible future double track from Dublin to Galway.

it was pretty sad that a plan for the M6 was produced which did not provide clearance for twin tracks, there should have been no need for delay.

I've moved posts about oil etc. to a new thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Anyway...about bridges. THIS is, beyond any reasonable doubt, the most interesting bridge in Ireland.

It carries a railway line over the N21 near Tralee.

I could write a book in its praise; but I'll let the picture do the talking.

IMG_4596-2.jpg

Why is it so interesting? The nice shade of green? Lack of height clearance signs? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Why is it so interesting? The nice shade of green? Lack of height clearance signs? :confused:

I'm inclined to agree - never noticed the lack of height clearance signage before - but to be fair the picture doesn't do it justice

and it's 100% better and safer than the narrow, dangerous, flood prone black spot that it replaced :)

• Advertisement

All of these things - and many more.

Do you need height clearance signs under an 20ft clearance? :confused:

Here is an interesting example of an interesting bridge; it needs height clearance signs oncoming only.

Crazy stuff, the like of which you'd only find in Westmeath.

IMG_4592-1.jpg

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

lismorelarge3.jpg

Foot bridge known as the "Towers" off of the R666 between Lismore and Ballyduff, Co. Waterford.

Legend has it that due to the cost of the bridge and the grand entrance, the person who built it couldn't afford the house it was leading to. In reality, Ballyasaggartmore House burned down about 50 years ago.

Foot bridge known as the "Towers" off of the R666 between Lismore and Ballyduff, Co. Waterford.

Legend has it that due to the cost of the bridge and the grand entrance, the person who built it couldn't afford the house it was leading to. In reality, Ballyasaggartmore House burned down about 50 years ago.

Beat you to it see post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67553428&postcount=27 :D

The legend is true and the house that burned down was not the grand house that was to have been built before the dosh ran out.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

The Mizen Head footbridge is quite a sight;
    http://fr.structurae.de/structures/data/index.cfm?id=s0000664

It has been restored and was featured on the RTE news the other day.

• Advertisement

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Here is an interesting example of an interesting bridge; it needs height clearance signs oncoming only.
    I've passed under several bridges here in Ontario with lower height clearances on the outside lanes than the inside ones, due to slightly arched bridge decks/supports.

dowlingm wrote: »
    I've passed under several bridges here in Ontario with lower height clearances on the outside lanes than the inside ones, due to slightly arched bridge decks/supports.

Must cause some abrupt last minute lane changes! :eek:

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Must cause some abrupt last minute lane changes! :eek:

Happens on the M50 through the N3 junction quite frequently, due to drivers of high vehicles panicking. Although I'm not sure its always unfounded, saw a hay bale truck which cleared every bridge from the M1 fine and had to dodge the arches for what seemed like good reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Mizen Head footbridge is quite a sight;
    http://fr.structurae.de/structures/data/index.cfm?id=s0000664

It has been restored and was featured on the RTE news the other day.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mizen-head-lighthouse-bridge-to-be-repopened-515499.html
    The bridge linking Mizen Head lighthouse to the mainland is due to be officially reopened today.

The bridge was closed in 2005 after it was deemed unsafe.

The new bridge - which is almost 50 metres above the Atlantic - connects the mainland to Cloghane Island.

It cost €1.8m and was funded by Fáilte Ireland, the Commissioners of Irish Lights and Cork County Council.

The station and the bridge are popular tourist attractions with more than 60,000 people visiting the sites every year.

Minister for Transport, Leo Varadkar will officially reopen the bridge this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

What a brilliant thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

LISPOLE VIADUCT, CO.KERRY

Okay, change of idea, most interesting bridges rather than most beautiful! I will kick off with this pic of Lispole Viaduct on the former Tralee & Dingle Railway. The viaduct is interesting for all sorts of reasons:

*It was situated on a falling gradient the bottom of which was on the central span of the bridge.
    *The viaduct was in such poor condition by the 1930s that double-heading across it (two locomotives) was forbidden but in practice was frequently ignored. This was due to trains being pushed too fast down the 1:29 gradient in the westerly direction, and drivers heading for Tralee being afraid that if they stopped to detach a locomotive they would not be able to restart their train on the incline.
    *Scene of a serious goods train accident in 1907.
    *The fact that it refuses to die some 57 years after the last train passed over it.

1975_lispole_viaduct_s0030763.jpg

gradmain.jpg
    Gradient profile: www.chestermodelrailwayclub.com

will the tralee to dingle railway ever reopen as a railway again/

will the tralee to dingle railway ever reopen as a railway again/

Sadly not. Most of the line was alongside the road which has now been widened. The bridges are still there but would need a total upgrade and the train itself was so slow that it often took 2 or 3 hours to get to Tralee. A bus/lorry can easily do it in an hour.
    There would have been a much better case for reopening the Valentia line but road widening etc makes that impossible now.
    Must try to get a pic of the railway bridge in Camp - still intact and very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

lottpaul wrote: »
    Sadly not. Most of the line was alongside the road which has now been widened. The bridges are still there but would need a total upgrade and the train itself was so slow that it often took 2 or 3 hours to get to Tralee. A bus/lorry can easily do it in an hour.
    There would have been a much better case for reopening the Valentia line but road widening etc makes that impossible now.
    Must try to get a pic of the railway bridge in Camp - still intact and very impressive.

This one?

256259_0a3f3058.jpg

Or this one?

pict3746.jpg

I think both have already been referenced in this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The bridge to Fenit Harbour in Kerry.

The bridge used to carry railway traffic back in the day and it is Ireland's most westerly port and is still used to ship out manufactured Cranes from Liebhers in Killarney and was used to import some of the massive wind turbines erected through Kerry in recent years. Road transport is used nowadays however.

On the bridge

http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/4cbf590b1d41c87f0600694d/fenit-harbour-bridge-this-is-the-trestle/en

Is all of the tracebed of the tralee to dingle railway still there? Would it be possible to walk across one of the viaducts on the tralee to dingle railway?

will the tralee to fenit railway line ever reopen as a railwya again?

• Advertisement

How many more posts are you going to bring up again and ask the same question? Why not contribute to the thread instead? Sorry for back seat modding. :rolleyes:

How many more posts are you going to bring up again and ask the same question? Why not contribute to the thread instead? Sorry for back seat modding. :rolleyes:

I just wan to know. i take it that the west cork railway line will never reopen either will it?

I just wan to know. i take it that the west cork railway line will never reopen either will it?

It's not very likely that any lines will reopen in the next 10 - 20 years. We just won't be able to afford it, but you never know what the future will hold.

It's not very likely that any lines will reopen in the next 10 - 20 years. We just won't be able to afford it, but you never know what the future will hold.

we see what happens. the west cork railway would be handy and important if it reopened and so would the tralee to dingle railway line

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

SmallSamuelBeckettBridgeDublin.jpg
    Samuel Beckett Bridge
    image1.jpg
    Sean O Casey bridge
    J
    1939_james_joyce_bridge_dublin_s0012071.jpg
    James Joyce Bridge
    3412839960_55528d5a68.jpg
    Spencer dock.
    800px-Loopline_Bridge.JPG
    Loopline Bridge
    OConnellBridgeDublin-big.jpg
    o' connell bridge
    hapenny-bridge-dublin-places-1-screensaver.jpg
    hapenny bridge

will the [SOMEWHERE IN IRELAND] to [SOMEWHERE ELSE IN IRELAND] railway line ever reopen as a railwya (sic) again?
    No.

we see what happens. the west cork railway would be handy and important if it reopened and so would the tralee to dingle railway line

I went throught lispole last tuesday and i saw the lispole viaduct. a pity trains dont cross it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

kilkenny31, those are some lovely pictures of Dublin bridges.

(I think the Millenium Bridge also has its moments, when the lighting is right).

You have to hand it to the designer and builders of the Ha'penny Bridge. Not taking away from what Mr Calatrava and others have done in recent years, but that one really just belongs to the river and, in my opinion, never fails to look simple and beautiful. A masterpiece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

You would think we would have had every bloody bridge here, but here are two more

a newish one
    19641671.jpg

and an older one
    010636_5f718c72.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Where are they?

Advertisement