Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin Kilbane - Player Manager of Sligo?

• 20-02-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/kilbane-eyes-sligo-post-3024526.html
    SLIGO will narrow down the list of applicants for their manager's job this week, and decide whether to appoint from abroad or to look for domestic experience after receiving over 40 applications for the task of replacing Paul Cook.

Kevin Kilbane, who has recently taken over as manager of the Hull City reserves, is the most eye-catching name to have expressed an interest.

Kilbane is sidelined with injury and is willing to consider a move to the Showgrounds in a player-manager capacity.

However, Sligo plan to speak to a shortlist of candidates about the position and hope to accelerate the process this week with a view to having a new man in place ahead of the season opener on March 2.

Their former boss Cook, who moved back to England to take charge of Accrington Stanley, was brought crashing down to earth on Saturday when his new side lost 4-0 at home to Plymouth.

Meanwhile, title favourites Shamrock Rovers have completed the loan signing of Swedish U-21 international goalkeeper Oscar Jansson from their Europa League opponents Tottenham Hotspur.

Jansson will be with the Hoops until June.
    Would be a great move for both parties, the LOI would get an Ireland international and Sligo would be a great stepping stone for an ambitious young manager.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Would love to see Kilbane get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

killwill wrote: »
    Would love to see Kilbane get it.

why?

Are you a Sligo fan?

If you are a sligo fan, why do you want an inexperienced manager at the helm while your team is challenging for the league title, and competing in Europe?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/kilbane-eyes-sligo-post-3024526.html
    Would be a great move for both parties, the LOI would get an Ireland international and Sligo would be a great stepping stone for an ambitious young manager.

How would it be "good" for Sligo?

They already have decent corwds for their size, they already compete at the top end of the Premier table, and are the current holders of the FAI Cup and came 2nd last season, to a very good Shamrock outift.

Kilbane is inexperienced, and would have a very limited knowledge of the LoI.

I fail to see how Sligo could benefit from such an appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sligo is a big job with realistic expectations of a top 2 finish. They are not going to mess with this to facilitate a managerial experiment for Kilbane. . .I would expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Des wrote: »
    why?

Are you a Sligo fan?

If you are a sligo fan, why do you want an inexperienced manager at the helm while your team is challenging for the league title, and competing in Europe?

Ah Jasus Des, did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I could be wrong but is the league not in off-season mode, so nobody is 'challenging for a title'. I know what you are referring to, but again, I don't see why you'd make that an issue. Are you implying that no club (any club with aspirations for next season) should be willing to take on KK as manager in that case?

Yes, there is a degree of risk, but that's the case with every young manager.

Why would a club like Sligo NOT want a guy like KK on board? Nice bloke, honest, very hard working. You get the sense he'd put everything into it etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He doesn't have the qualifications to take over now right? (no Pro or A Licence I believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Fizman wrote: »
    Why would a club like Sligo NOT want a guy like KK on board? Nice bloke, honest, very hard working. You get the sense he'd put everything into it etc etc.

Because he has little to no managerial experience. At the time I wasn't too happy about Fenlon taking over at Shels when Keely left first time round as he had no experience although it did work out ok in the long run.

why?

Are you a Sligo fan?

Because I think he would be a good manager at LOI level.

Yes I am a sligo fan. I do realise he has not got experience and he would be out of his debt in Europe but come on, all LOI managers are FFS

Because I think he would be a good manager at LOI level.

on what evidence?

I'm genuinely curious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If he doesn't have a Pro licene then it's hard to see him get it with Sligo involved in the Europa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Would rather Martin Russell tbh.

all LOI managers are FFS

You've missed the last few years so ?

on what evidence?

I'm genuinely curious...

I don't have evidence to support my OPINION because as you well know he has no managerial experience to support experience.

Sam Allardyce started his managerial career at Limerick FC didn't he? Was there any evidence he would be a good manager? No

Everyone has to start somewhere and I would like to see and Irish legend(in my eyes anyway) start his managerial career at a club I support.

gustavo wrote: »
    You've missed the last few years so ?

No I haven't.

No I haven't.
    Well I don't think the likes of Michael O'Neill and Pat Fenlon were out of their "debt" funny misspelling btw :pac:

Over the last few seasons a poor start has cost us dear so I'd be hoping we'd be getting in an experienced manager rather than someone just learning the ropes.

If we were going through a transitional phase then I'd be all for Kilbane getting the job but the fact is this team is coming towards the end of it's cycle IMO whereby I think this year is our best chance of a league title win in a long tim.e

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Would be interesting certainly, can't see it being to Sligo's benefit though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

gustavo wrote: »
    Over the last few seasons a poor start has cost us dear so I'd be hoping we'd be getting in an experienced manager rather than someone just learning the ropes.

On a side note a poor start by you lot would be much appreciated by my lot
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

How would it be "good" for Sligo?

Because LOI supporters are supposed to be convulsed with excitement if their club is associated with somebody that barstoolers and Ole Oles recognize.

stovelid wrote: »
    Because LOI supporters are supposed to be convulsed with excitement if their club is associated with somebody that barstoolers and Ole Oles recognize.

Because Jeff Kenna was such a roaring success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

dan1895 wrote: »
    Because Jeff Kenna was such a roaring success

:(

Fecker nearly relegated us :(

Yet still managed the greatest modern day defeat win by an LOI team in Europe :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What has been said here is true. This Sligo team is a major contender for the league and next year may be broken up for whatever reasons. A manager that knows the league is what's needed here.

so, it's mostly patronising bullshít from people with no clue.

What's new in threads like these?

kindly fúck off, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

so, it's mostly patronising bullshít from people with no clue.

What's new in threads like these?

kindly fúck off, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Stay classy Des

Noone in here has warranted that abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He doesn't have the qualifications to take over now right? (no Pro or A Licence I believe)
    I believe he is/has taken this training. Anyway, I would imagine a waiver would be no problem, given it has been granted to many managers in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

To be honest, I'm far from sure Sligo are a real contender. I'm not really sure anyone else is unless Kenny really lets the ball drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

stovelid wrote: »

Although I agree with you, reading your posts is sometimes like experiencing a bad dose of piles while sitting on a park bench in the middle of January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

dan1895 wrote: »
    Because he has little to no managerial experience.
    One of the candidates for the job (Brian Little) has managed a Premier League team and has 30 years of managerial experience, despite that he has managed half a dozen clubs into the ground during that time. Experience isn't everything. Indeed, Paul Cook himself had very little experience, and look where he brought Sligo to.

Trilla wrote: »
    Although I agree with you, reading your posts is sometimes like experiencing a bad dose of piles while sitting on a park bench in the middle of January.

that's just about the effect he's looking for :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bit of an odd one. Is he finished playing full time? I thought he'd be back playing when he's fit again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The most worrying thing of all is that this link/rumour warrants a thread of its own.

Advertisement