Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mountain Running group Galway??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

222616.jpg
    The wednesday night runs are back this Wednesday in Kilcolgan Woods, Clarinbridge.

Info as per above post:

Theres a headlamp trail run organised in Kilcornan Woods, in Clarinbridge for Wednesday evening at 8.30 - 9.30.

Details are on the
    Facebook page as usual. The meeting place is the Colga football pitches near the back of the estate and we go from there for 6-8k run at a nice easy pace.

All levels of runners are well capable of joining in and its not too mucky at the moment so trail shoes are not critical. There are some spare headlamps for anyone that is stuck for light, though a torch or bicycle lamp will work in a pinch.

I would expect it to be extremely muddy underfoot so a change of socks & footwear for afterwards i spretty essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

MacAttackJ wrote: »
    Have any of ye ever ran the Bangor Trail? Will be in Mulranny with the missus and baba next week and I should get one day to myself for a long run. Was thinking of the Greenway but was hoping for something more adventurous. Imagine with all the recent rain the Bangor Trail would be nigh impossible to run in parts so perhaps the Western Way from the bothy north of Newport to Bellacorick might be a compromise? Any other ideas? Looking to get at least ten miles in (plus climbing). Am an experienced mountain runner / hillwalker.

ive walked it a few times but never ran it, yes there will be some very wet and very boggy sections alright..and sections of it especially as you get closer to bangor arent the clearest ( as of a few years ago, i know the council were planning to do some work on the marker posts since ) so youd want to be handyish with a map.. there are a few loops around the brogan carroll bothy -- the letterkeen loop walks, that would be a bit tamer.. a mix of rough forestry road, the western way and rocky path..with wet spots..
    the rocky section which would be between 2-3k would be hard on the ankles though..

pdf for maps here

http://www.mayowalks.ie/media/Media,14145,en.pdf

you can get to the brogan carroll bothy / letterkeen from newport, its signed for the bangor trail just outside the village on the mulranny side on the right, roughly 12k up the road from there.. if you need i can mark it on a map for you..

sorry..small bit out of date..did you run..how did you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

Thanks for that Woody.
    Had rained all week so I thought it best to avoid. Did a wee hilly loop near Mulranny and ran from Newport to Mulranny on the Greenway into a horrendous headwind. At 26 miles for the whole thing its crying out for a marathon although it does cross the road at several points.
    We did the Letterkeen Loop as a walk. Were the first punters to write in the log in the spanking new Mountain Meitheal built shelter at the foot of Nephin Beg. Is a terrific wilderness. Must go back again and climb Slieve Carr - reputedly Irelands remotest summit.

shows how long it is since i was there, had no idea there was a hut at the base of nephin beg.. must head out there next spring so..
    i think the bangor trail itself would be a great race ..but being point to point it would have issues with transport ....
    went to climb slieve carr several times before but cloud cover always stopped it..not a mountain i would climb in bad visibility..
    as for most remote.. i found out whilst doing some contract survey work for coillte a few years ago that theres a forestry road that goes right to the base of it on the east side of it... :D would cut out about 5 hours of walking..
    there was a story in the local paper recently about a proposal to add all this forestry to the glenamoy national park to make one huge wilderness area,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

woody1 wrote: »
    there was a story in the local paper recently about a proposal to add all this forestry to the glenamoy national park to make one huge wilderness area,

Shouldn't that be Ballycroy National Park ?

sorry yeah DUH !!

Advertisement