Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i was in LA in 2003 (**** 2 years ago already) and its a superb place...was only there for 3 days like yourselves...

i managed to get to universal studios and its just unbelievable possibly the best place i've been... loads of rides film studios and th tour is out of this wold well worth going to.. we got a front of the line pass and it was the best $80 i ever spent...no waitiing around to get on rides its a great...

we were staying on wilshire boulevard (which at the time they were filming spiderman 2 and we were stayingon the set fantastic stuff)...anyway we walked around a bit and hit ourselves lots of mexican guys asking us if we wanted id and all that kinda stuff...so taxis everywhere is ow we got around...

sunset boulevard and the walk of fame and the chinese theater are all in the same spot so thats a definate place to go to...we wanted to got o rodeo drive were all the clebrity shopping shops are but never made it maybe next time...

anyway thats my 2 cents...have a great holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Going there myself this week with the wife and two kids.We got a pass to do about five theme parks for a very good price,Link

As for renting a car and driving over there,well my brother inlaw lives there and he is the worst driver I have ever come across and he has a californian drivers license now(Cant imagine how he got it).So he said its no problem driving over there.So I'm thinking if he can drive it should be a doddle for me.

I was told to bring packed lunches into Disney parks and possibly one of those cooler haversack to keeps things nice and cold as it is expensive to eat/drink inside the grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭RyanfromNJ

mad m.... DEFINITELY bring food with ya to the theme parks if ya can... it is SOOOOO expensive... I've been both to Disney Land in Cali, and Disney World in Florida, and they are about the same... it seems as though every theme park marks up the food tremendously... I live in New Jersey, and we have a Six Flags theme park near us, and even though I go there 2 or 3 times a season, I always bring my own, leave it in a cooler in the back of my SUV(along with a few cold beers!!!) and just head out there at lunch time... good luck buddy!!

Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

@RyanfromNJ

Yeah thanks for the advice,we ended up getting a hotel right opposite the Disney gates,so I guess its back to room at lunchtime...Any more help you can tell me I'd appreciate it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

I spent 3 days in L.A last year on my way home from Oz/NZ/Cook Islands.

I did a city tour the first day - very cheap and takes in all the main sights, Hollywood sign (from a distance!), Farmers Market (well-known shopping area/market), Venice Beach (stops there for c.1hr so you can have a look around), Rodeo Drive, etc.
    It's a great way to see the city when you don't have a lot of time. Starts c.10am, til c.4pm. I booked mine the night before at my hotel reception (Holiday Inn, Buena Park. Really nice hotel and staff!)

I spent a day in Universal Studios and it was brill!
    Don't go to L.A. and miss U Studios !!!
    (Food is pricey there, but I was travelling solo, so only had to buy one meal ! :))

I also went to Medieval Times (Dinner and Tournament). Nightly show with guys jousting, and showing their skills on horseback. Bit of harmless fun, a good way to spend a few hours. (I first heard about it on the Osbourne's show !)

I would advise against driving in L.A.
    My travel agent in NZ (A well-travelled Canadian) said it was not worth hiring a car for a few days - the road system is a little complicated to the novice and you would waste time, and only give yourself unneccessary stress.

I believe downtown Hollywood/L.A. is the area to be avoided.
    I travelled in tours/groups/straight to U Studios and straight back to hotel, so didn't venture around the streets too much.

Have a good trip.

Silvera.

• Advertisement

Good tips above.
    You may as well go to Universal,its different to the one in Florida and you can do the studio tour.That place is as silvera says excelent tbh for the rides alone and the tour.
    It will take you down onto the set of desperate housewives,yes the actual set of wisteria lane so you might see ms hatcher :p and loads of other sets too.

Do hire a car, get one from Hertz and ensure that you have their talking hertz never lost GPS system its absolutely brilliant and its true to its name, it will tell you everything as well as showing your live progress on the map.It will tell you that you have a right turn in 2 miles,1 mile a half mile and then go "ding dong" when you get to it and say right turn now etc-fecking excelent!
    Driving in LA is not a nightmare tbh and even on the highways ,if you have 2 or more in the car, you can drive in a special lane which is mostly empty as unlike in Ireland they do obey the rules.
    It means even at rush hour you will speed by everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

'Ello :D

Heading to Fuerteventura for a week on SUnday morning.
    Anyone ever been? Whats it like?
    Any info etc appreciated!

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Just like the other canary islands only less developed. Its also windier and great for surfers. Still hot though. I have not been myself to that one but thats what everyone who has tells me. Oh its quieter than Gran Canaria's big resorts like Pley del ingles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

not been to F'ventura but could see it from the beach every day last year from L'zarote. Also been to Tenerife.
    Can't ever see myself going to another Canary Island for the rest of my life...

Nothing personal against L'zarote, we loved it there....different reasons why I didn't enjoy Tenerife and I won't get into to, but I just hate cockroaches.

It's also very very hot in the Canaries this time of year so bring plenty SPF25.

On the plus side, I know plenty of people, not as hung up on roaches as me that have been to F'ventura who had a great time. They stayed at Barcelo apts. If the people on the island are as friendly as on L'zarote, you'll enjoy yourself.

we managed to get a €1500 hol voucher, so we're staying at some 4* hotel. Seems to be pretty nice and got decent enough reviews on line. Me no like roaches though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There's a great theme park closeby......fantastic stuff. I believe their Rollercoaster "The Dragon Khan" has the most loops out of any coaster in Europe.... :p

Divers wrote:
    we managed to get a €1500 hol voucher, so we're staying at some 4* hotel. Seems to be pretty nice and got decent enough reviews on line. Me no like roaches though...
    roaches don't care much for stars although you shouldn't see as many as if you were in 3*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭dublinguy05

I have been there would'nt rush back, not much night life...found the place to be dirty.....there are some lovely beaches though....the beer and food is cheap....I took a boat trip over to lanzarote took about 15 minutes then we got a free bus up to port del carmen were I stayed for a night...would recommend the boat trip (there is big ferry and the other is a small glass bottom boat which takes about an hour to get over to lanzarote).....to be honest I'd give it a couple of years before I would return to any of the canary islands

Lex Luthor wrote:
    roaches don't care much for stars although you shouldn't see as many as if you were in 3*

yay thats a relief!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Just spent the first week of July there. Are you staying in Correlejo or Caleta de Fuste?
    I was in Caleta. Its okay - lots of couples and families, esp families. Manmade beach which isnt great. If you want a good beach take a day trip to Jandia - the beach down there is amazing. Theres meant to be a nice beach by the new shopping centre also (the atlantico) about 1.5 km from Caleta. Plenty of places to eat and drink around the town. But its by no means a nightlife haven.

The Catlanza tour is also well worth a trip if you are offered it.

Weather there was great - wall to wall blue skies for the week - temps in the high twenties as mentioned before but if you burn easy throw on the suncream as the wind makes it feel cooler than it actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭kahaya

I was in Correlejo last September and stayed in a self catering apartment. Temperatures were grand found it quite dirty also, especially the pool in the apartments. No comparison with Bodrum in Turkey, pool cleaned every night. Wouldn't ever go back to the Canaries personally but hope you have a great time.

headed to Correlejo, THe Atlantis Dunapark hotel on the recommendation of a couple of people here that have been. Was never one for all nighters in clubs anyway so lack of nightlife doesn't bother me, give me a nice restaurant and a few beers, some watersports etc and I'll be happy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

There's a great theme park closeby......fantastic stuff. I believe their Rollercoaster "The Dragon Khan" has the most loops out of any coaster in Europe.... :p

I think that you are thinking about Portaventura which is in Northern Spain. Fuerteventura is not that advanced yet!

I took a boat trip over to lanzarote took about 15 minutes then we got a free bus up to port del carmen were I stayed for a night...would recommend the boat trip (there is big ferry and the other is a small glass bottom boat which takes about an hour to get over to lanzarote).....
    The ferry docks in Playa Blanca in L'zarote. We stayed there last year and watched the ferry come in daily in to the dock. I wouldn't bother with the trip up to P.del Carmen. P. Blanca is a 10 times nicer resort. If you decide to go across, you end up in the harbour 5 mins walk from the main shopping, bars/restaurants area.
    When you get off the boat, turn out right onto the promenade and walk to the beach area. There is a great Tex Mex restaurant which over looks the sea right on the front.
    A further 20mins walk up and you will probably come across the best beach on all of the Canary Islands. Its right in frnt of the impressive Princessa Yaiza 5*L hotel. A walk around this hotel will make any hotel you have ever stayed in look bad. I stayed in the apt blocks next door so we passed it each day on way to the beach.
    The Yaiza has an outdoor play area for kids, but its not restricted to hotel guests only, but a charge is applicable. Plenty to do for the day in P.Blanca if you get bored of F'ventura.

Enjoy the holiday....I wish I was going somewhere..just back 2 weeks and still not back into the swing of reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 DaisyD

We are racking our brains (very painful!) trying to decide where to go on holiday this year. We are a mammy, daddy and boy of seven. The last two years we went to EuroDisney for a four day break and had a brilliant time. We want to do something similar this year. Has anyone been to Salou??? I believe there's a theme park there??? What's it like for families???

Anyone got any other ideas for us? Florida is a non runner this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 trisha

Hey,

I'm thinking of going to either Alton Towers or Thorpe Park this summer. Looking for good rides and an easy enough place to get to.... Anyone know anything about either theme park or if one is better than the other.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Alton Towers is unbelievable. Have been there about 4 times now and each time was for 2 days. Out of all the parks that I have been in, Stateside included, I still count this as one of the best for the sheer volume of rides it has and how good they are. Very little queues aswell. The themeing isn't great and its far removed from any notions of a Disney style park but if you are 12+ you will love it I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 trisha

Cool, sound like fun so.... My expectations arent high, the only rides i have been on is the crapy one's in funderland so no doubt ill b terrified!!!

Do you know of anywhere that you would recommend to stay!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

Hey all hitting Florida in August for 2wks and just wondering what is there 2 do, me and a mate are going and we are renting a car and we are in our 20s.

We'll probably spend a few days in Orlando, and maybe hit miami ? anyone drove around Florida before and have advice for us ?

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

If you're in Orlando and thinking about doing some of the theme parks, I'd definitely recommend Islands of Adventure above any other. Best rollercoasters of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

U would prob be better off posting this in the Holidays/Travel section

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Teg Veece wrote:
    Islands of Adventure above any other. Best rollercoasters of the lot.

Definetly. Also, don't really bother by Disneyworld. I was seriously dissapointed by it(except the water parks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

If you are a rollaer coaster goot head to busch gardens. It's awsome. IF the American school is back on while you are there you will walk straight on to most of them. And definately go on Shiekra. Good view and its fun too!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gmailer

Heading to florida in a few weeks and was wondering about the theme park and which is best to go to, everyone says steer clear of disney for some reason, is it that bad? I hear Busch Gardens is much better..
    also is it better to purchase tickets for the parks here or when i get over there, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

the tickets over there are cheap enough!!

we did universal, seaworld, islands of adventure and wet n wild!! ... u can get a ticket for all 4 theme parks its called a 4 park orlando flex ticket or theres a five park one aswell

http://www.universalorlando.com/tic_multi_park.html

Seaworld is a must!! as were the other 3!! really was a great ticket for the price!

or if ur just looking for one or teo parks try here... http://www.universalorlando.com/tickets.html
    the deals there seem really good! :)
    hope you have a ball!!

we tried to go to disney at night just to see the fireworks but you can't do that any more... i would have loved to have seen disney as eurodisney was excellent! ah well maybe next time lol

Advertisement