Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

mike65 wrote: »
    Gerrard off at HT.

For his own good, lucky not to be sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Slattsy wrote: »

that was actually a very good tackle.

the fact people consider a hard commited tackle a bad tackle is a disgrace and is turning the game into a pillow fight.

just because a player went off injured does not mean it was a wreckless challenge. it was a strong challenge and Gerrard won the ball. To be fair, it wasnt even a free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

El Spearo wrote: »
    that was actually a very good tackle.

the fact people consider a hard commited tackle a bad tackle is a disgrace and is turning the game into a pillow fight.

just because a player went off injured does not mean it was a wreckless challenge. it was a strong challenge and Gerrard won the ball. To be fair, it wasnt even a free kick.

Maybe when you or I played football it was a great tackle.... but alas, in all fairness - ya cant be doing that anymore !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The more I read about Rodgers the more I favor him over Martinez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

well my understanding and interpretation of this is, just to get someone the lads will like...then get really good players and hope to god they gel and play well together

ie the manager doesnt actually matter anymore...

im always thinking back to the actual money ball movie...where brad pitt is actually the important one (and the nerdy guy)...

so samuel l jackson should actually be our next manager.

I'm seeing this sort of thing a lot, here, on other forums and in real life.

It's not as simple as this, and the idea that the Manager doesn't matter anymore is really not true at all.

People are holding Pep Guardiola up as the best manager since sliced bread, but Barca have had a DoF\Sporting Director for as long as I can remember, same with Jose at Madrid, where Zidane is Sporting Director. AvB got sacked by Chelsea, but again, they've had a DoF pretty much since Abra took over. Klopp at Dortmund....pretty much the same story, Ancelotti at PSG, he has Leonardo as his DoF. I could go on all night here tbh. The fact is that this isn't some sort of American thing, being foisted upon the club by our owners, it's been around for a long time, and although more or less copied from American sports, its not some sort of mad, alien concept. More than a few English clubs have this role as well.

The example of Fergie and Wenger is given as an argument against having a DoF/Sporting Director/Insert Job Title Here at a club. Really you could be arguing here that because of the time they have spent at their respective clubs, their roles have evolved into a sort of DoF anyway. Many Utd fans are complaining that the lack of a strong assistant manager ( Phelan doesn't seem to be a favourite) for Ferguson is a reason that they have "struggled" lately, and they look back wistfully at Kidd and Quieroz. Wenger has had Pat Rice as his assistant for donkeys, just retired with 40 odd years on his CV there. This allows both men to perform many of the roles of a traditional DoF.

Like it or not, a club like Liverpool (or any other top tier club) is a multi million euro business, as well as being something that we as fans hold dear. If I ran a business of that size away from sports, would I trust one of the biggest aspects of that to just one person? No chance tbh. The load would be spread among a team, with various responsibilities given to each person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The more I read about Rodgers the more I favor him over Martinez

I would too,but to be honest neither of them are fit for the job.

Martin Kelly has just made his England debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hopefully the two of them collide and they pick up small knocks causing them to miss the finals.

Their collision causes a pile up which sees Glen Johnson and Gerrard fall over Downing and pick up shoulder and toenail injuries which will unfortunately rule them out too.

fingers%2Bcrossed.jpg

Fck that, i wish them all well.

Fck that, i wish them all well.

Purely selfish reasons on my behalf.

Liverpool>>>>internationals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Norway - England report

Andy Carroll - did quite well, diligent defending, played a couple of nice balls forward, held up the ball. Needed Gerrard really but given the torpor of the occasion 7/10

Steven Gerrard - only 45 mins. Decent but playing a bit deep.

Stuart Downing - bright start then faded, swapped wings to no good effect.

Jordan Henderson, 2nd half sub. A few good balls and tracking back.

Martin Kelly - barely on, made a good headed block and could have been in on goal had the last ball of the game been better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Purely selfish reasons on my behalf.

Liverpool>>>>internationals

I dont get this....surely you want Carroll and Downing to tear it up at the euros? It would be different if they were already at the top of their game but they had very poor seasons. The better the tournament they have, the better for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

joe123 wrote: »
    I dont get this....surely you want Carroll and Downing to tear it up at the euros? It would be different if they were already at the top of their game but they had very poor seasons. The better the tournament they have, the better for us.

Especially Carroll.

Playing over the summer should do him wonders. He should be flying fit at the beginning of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Slattsy wrote: »
    Arrah would you get away out of that. That was a superb challenge, he was first to the ball, caught the ball with the inside of his foot, was in control and did not have a straight leg out (which is one of the criteria refs have been told to look out for for some reason). He second foot was behind him and while it was strong, it was well timed.

I hat that any contact is now considered a foul and that the stronger the contact the more sanction people look for. In any time that was a good challenge and he won the ball. The ref was going to blow the whistle the second he saw Gerrard dive in, you could see that his whistle was on the way to his lips and he was moving to the scene even before contact with the ball was made, he had made up his mind that it was a foul. Bad reffing IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

x2_ca48af4

Comolli at the Eurovision :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Must say Carroll's better with his feet than I gave him credit for before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Could this week get any worse? It looks like Claire is leaving?

Brian Durand ‏@BrianDurand56
    Well done @clairerourke - going national! #BBC3

Edit- Oh wait no, she just made an appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

G.K. wrote: »
    Henriksen is playing for Norway tonight, he's a lad Kess rates.

Yep him and Singh are two from Norway I really rate.

Henriksen I have been wittering about for a year or so now. The lad is only 19 atm and has, imho anyway, tons of potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

He didn't have his best game tonight, but showed his talent in flashes. And boy, when he did, he was a class above anyone else. Incredibly intelligent player.
    I think he'd have done better if played slightly more centrally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

G.K. wrote: »
    He didn't have his best game tonight, but showed his talent in flashes. And boy, when he did, he was a class above anyone else. Incredibly intelligent player.
    I think he'd have done better if played slightly more centrally.

He plays in a more central role at club level, and is very effective in getting forward to link attacks from the centre. He was played in a more forward role tonight and he did not quite have a handle on it in terms of positioning. But the talent is there for anyone to see, and at 19 he has loads of time to reach that potential.

A lot of people think that the swede Christian Eriksen is the young talent to watch (and they are not wrong to be honest as he is a super player), but I think that Henriksen will turn out to be the bigger talent in time as for me he has more to his game already in terms of physical attributes, mental attributes, and technical ability.

Reckon Henriksen would cost a hell of a lot less atm than Eriksen though as the latter has a much higher profile.

Keep an eye out for Harmeet Singh in the future as well. He is a couple of years older than Henriksen, but is a very clever midfielder who is growing into the role of being a very good link player in CM.

• Advertisement

Van Gaal as manager and Martinez as Dof...

do they not even proof read anymore?

No, that's my recommendation ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

'Owners' spelt 'oweners'... that's pretty bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Mirror has tweeted RM will do conference on Tues to announce whether he is new boss or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Kess73 wrote: »
    He plays in a more central role at club level, and is very effective in getting forward to link attacks from the centre. He was played in a more forward role tonight and he did not quite have a handle on it in terms of positioning. But the talent is there for anyone to see, and at 19 he has loads of time to reach that potential.

A lot of people think that the swede Christian Eriksen is the young talent to watch (and they are not wrong to be honest as he is a super player), but I think that Henriksen will turn out to be the bigger talent in time as for me he has more to his game already in terms of physical attributes, mental attributes, and technical ability.

Reckon Henriksen would cost a hell of a lot less atm than Eriksen though as the latter has a much higher profile.

Keep an eye out for Harmeet Singh in the future as well. He is a couple of years older than Henriksen, but is a very clever midfielder who is growing into the role of being a very good link player in CM.

Christian Eriksen is Danish.

I don't share your views on Henriksen to be honest. He will have a career in a top league but he won't get near Eriksen's level of ability. Even the Christian Eriksen of 2012. And Eriksen will get a whole lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

daithijjj wrote: »
    Some fairly solid tweets (BBC NI) going around that Rogers has got on a flight to the states today.

Brendan no interviews Rogers, bit of a turn around.

Pretty close between him and Roberto in the betting.
    No idea, I'll plump for Roberto between the two because he seems slick. :cool:

Martinez as DoF? Wonder is that nonsense, they must have a lot of time for him.
    Can't imagine Van Gaal working under a young pup of a DoF.

Hopefully John Henry has been trading the betfair markets.
    It would explain why the appointment hasn't been quick and hopefully adds £20m to the transfer kitty.

Just had a look at Brendan's rap sheet. :-/

We are proper mental for not knocking down Rafa's door, **** sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Just had a look at Brendan's rap sheet. :-/

We are proper mental for not knocking down Rafa's door, **** sake.
    Yea, ridiculous that there is a proven manager out there saying "come and get me" who we are choosing to ignore. What worries me is most is all this DOF talk is going to be a big disincentive to a top manager like Guardiola. It would be hard enough getting the likes of him to Anfield without telling him he will have one hand tied behind his back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement