Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I have to say that I find ISAW's arguments on this to be utterly unconvincing.

I think it is legitimate to point out the atrocities caused by atheist regimes, if you are responding to the oft-repeated canard that "religion is the cause of all the wars and suffering in history". It makes sense, in that particular context, to point out that those who got rid of religion still proved to just as capable of causing wars and suffering as anyone else.

(Of course, you'll still get the occasional moron who will try to argue that such atheistic regimes are actually a form of religion, but there probably isn't much point in even trying to discuss the issue with someone if they are that dishonest and that willing to twist language).

However, outside of that limited context, I think there is little point to go on banging about 'atheist atrocities' all the time. Given the horrible things done in the name of religion over the years, it is a classic example of people in glass houses throwing stones.

The simple truth is that human nature, while occasionally capable of great nobility, has a very nasty bestial streak running through it that makes us capable of exploiting any ideology or philosophy in order to grab power and, in seeking to maintain that power, in oppressing and torturing our fellow human beings. (The biblical, and more concise, way of saying that is that we are all sinners. And, given the right circumstances and opportunities, we can sin big time.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

The fallen nature of mankind has more to do with atrocities caused than religion has. If mankind would adhere to the teachings of Christ, then the world would be a better place. ;)
    I like your Christ but I don't like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ! (Ghandi)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

ISAW wrote: »
    So given there was only ONE Nazi regime you thing the Holocaust didn't have anything to do with Naziism?

Perfect example: If the only pieces of data we had were "There was one Nazi regime" and "An atrocity happened under the Nazi regime", then we would not be justified in declaring the Nazi's were responsible for the atrocity. We would have to look at the incident in detail. Perhaps there was a civil war. Perhaps the Nazis were a peace-loving democracy that suffered a military coup. When we did look, we would note the anti-Semitism, the Nazi-run death camps, and the Megalomania of Hitler. We would then be justified in declaring the Nazis responsible.
    So why did you bring it up then? your words " Do you believe the great leap forward would have killed on the order of 50 million if there were only, say 1 million people living in China?"
    Why use a fictional population of 1 million as a metric to judge anything especially if it is as you claim "irrelevant" ? By the way the metric i was using is the sample as a percentage of the overall numbers. One country in fifteen ; one person in fifteen.

You are swapping contexts back and forth. You brought up number of deaths caused by Mao's famine, and I pointed out that a high population density, not atheism, was why the death toll was as high as it was.
    There are enough to d the analysis and enough to determine what governments were atheistic ( i.e. with "There is no god" as a central principle) . Im not aware of any "There is no God" administrations over countries that were not regimes. I know plenty of christian administrations that were not.

Ok I'll do the analysing for you. Were any of these governments democracies? Were any of them secular pluralists? What leads you to believe that a democratic government of atheist secular pluralists will cause atrocities?
    I didn't make the claim. the claim is that belief ( in specific in Christianity) causes atrocities.
    My counter claim is "not in any way as much as atheism"
    I happy to let atheists go their own way until they start attacking religion and making smug jokes about Christianity as if it is unreasonable.
    All the atheistic regimes caused mayhem and left nothing for posterity but piles of skulls.
    Only few christian regimes did.

Stop trying to change the claimn to ME claiming "Atheism causes atrocities." when the original claim was yours "neither atheism or Christianity caused atrocities

Yes you did claim atheism causes atrocities. I specifically asked you if you genuinely believed atheism causes atrocities, or if, instead, you were using it as a rhetorical device to highlight the absurdity of the claim "Christianity causes atrocities". You said you genuinely believed it.

Who was it stated that they were not referring to post WWII Japan accusing me of dishonesty?...

and now you want to refer to "modern" Japan

Yes. Modern Japan is an example of a predominantly atheist, but still secular pluralist, society. It falsifies your inference.
    Modern Japan produced Aum Shriya do you know of any other country who used SARIN gas in a terrorist attack? No doubt you might claim christian influence.

Are you serious? Really? Really?!? You are arguing that a terrorist attack against Japanese society, perpetrated by religious nut jobs who believe in a mish-mash theology, run by a guy who draws similarities between himself and the Lamb of God, is an instrument of atheism? Seriously??? This places modern Japan on the same list as Mao and Stalin?
    I hope not. But i dont think "ther is no god" is a central tenet of the Japanese constitution.
    Which was influenced by the US and their constitution. Which was written to avoid religious division. The irish constitution as it happenms acts in a diffferent way to support religion in schools. If only the US example existed people would never realise that "freedom of belief" or "rights of the family" can mean the State supports such things as religion.

And nobody is arguing for placing "there is no God" as a central tenet of the constitution. We are arguing for a secular pluralism, where atheists and theists are free to be as plentiful as they like, and to hold as many governmental positions as society wishes.

<snip>

The rest of the post is a repetition of points we have been over before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Morbert wrote: »
    Perfect example: If the only pieces of data we had were "There was one Nazi regime" and "An atrocity happened under the Nazi regime", then we would not be justified in declaring the Nazi's were responsible for the atrocity. We would have to look at the incident in detail. Perhaps there was a civil war. Perhaps the Nazis were a peace-loving democracy that suffered a military coup. When we did look, we would note the anti-Semitism, the Nazi-run death camps, and the Megalomania of Hitler. We would then be justified in declaring the Nazis responsible.
    Let us take the example of the Jews who are central to the WWII Holocaust.
    But you are then saying it isn't meglomania of Hitler because he would have killed anyone ( and maybe he would have eventually if given the chance so i would thin dont give him the chance to go any further based on what he did in the past)
    but his particular anti-Jew policy as outlined in the Nazi philosophy which led to Jews being singled out.

You don't have to go looking for other reasons. "our superiour way is better than the Jews" was enough to lead to the persecution of Jews. The philosophy of their way being better and the promotion of that philosophy. A bit like promoting "there is no God" ?
    You are swapping contexts back and forth. You brought up number of deaths caused by Mao's famine, and I pointed out that a high population density, not atheism, was why the death toll was as high as it was.

I brought up the deaths caused by people with atheism central to their system. They may have had other things as well . But if you look at other varioboles e.g. communism; totalitarianism; authoritarianism; freedom to do what you want; having moustaches; religious zealots etc. you can always find exceptions . Only atheistic regimes don't have exceptions when we have to look at the incidents in detail.
    Ok I'll do the analysing for you. Were any of these governments democracies?

very few. More importantly there were democracies which did not commit atrocities
    Were any of them secular pluralists? What leads you to believe that a democratic government of atheist secular pluralists will cause atrocities?

Democracies do sometimes. They don't ALL THE TIME that is the point!
    What atheistic regime didn't commit atrocities?
    Yes you did claim atheism causes atrocities. I specifically asked you if you genuinely believed atheism causes atrocities, or if, instead, you were using it as a rhetorical device to highlight the absurdity of the claim "Christianity causes atrocities". You said you genuinely believed it.

If adopted as a central tenet of a government which is why I call it an "atheistic" system. Is use "regime" because i dont know of atheistic government systems that were not regimes.

On the other hand Christianity has a record of NOT causing atrocities when in charge of the country.
    Yes. Modern Japan is an example of a predominantly atheist, but still secular pluralist, society. It falsifies your inference.

Not atheistic = government with "ther is no god" as a central tenet.
    On the other hand government with "there is a God" were not all terror regimes.

Ther can be a majority of atheists in Ireland. so long as parents can have religion on schools protected by the constitution the Christians don't have a problem with their majority. It is when they start oppressing others the problems start. and this is when they have a tiny percentage of militants egging them on.
    Are you serious? Really? Really?!? You are arguing that a terrorist attack against Japanese society, perpetrated by religious nut jobs who believe in a mish-mash theology, run by a guy who draws similarities between himself and the Lamb of God, is an instrument of atheism? Seriously??? This places modern Japan on the same list as Mao and Stalin?

It is symptomatic of a society that allows such fundamentalists to come about. By "allow" I dont mean "gives freedom to " but creates a philosophical tableau whereby the subjective norm dominates. relativism and absence of values prevail. they the of society that has no moral values but relativism like the atheists want or that makes out that morals or "meaningless" a philosophy which nihilists like you promote. It places a moral burden for similar atrocities ion the shoulders of those that deny moral values. The whole central issue of "there is a God" is not that God exists but that we assume it is a benevolent caring God depicting moral decency.
    And nobody is arguing for placing "there is no God" as a central tenet of the constitution.

Plenty argued it! Maoists, Stalinists. The league of the Godless.
    When you say "morality is meaningless" you make a similar argument!
    You are basically saying "we don't need God"
    We are arguing for a secular pluralism, where atheists and theists are free to be as plentiful as they like, and to hold as many governmental positions as society wishes.

So long as they don't impinge on Christians ( and others) rights to school their kids in ethos schools - fine by the Chrtistians.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I already addressed it but :
    You asked two questions

1. since when is it for you to decide what are we concerned with here ?

It is a matter of definition. I you claim "god ordered rape" or "Christianity caused atrocities but atheism didn't" then ift is for you to provide evidence.

2. hard atheism, soft atheism, new terms to me, What are their opposite might I ask - Hard theism ?

Actaull if you do a search you will not i have been uasing them for years and have referred to the Triniuty college "nones" survey several times before. If you never heard the term before your ignorance is not my problem. I clearly stated exactly what I meant by atheism , i.e. "There is/are no God(s)" I have clearly stated this umpteen times. Ther is no fudging or muddying waters or any other unclear definition as you seem to want others to believe.
    Not alone that you asked for a definition. Having supplied one you asked for a definition from a reference work. You now have one. Feel free to consult ARIS whenever you need to look up what "nones" are.
    http://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/

If you are not interested in saying anything about atheists as a group then fine. I am referring to hardline evangelising atheists who attack religious belief as silly and attempt to degrade it. I have no problem putting all such people into a group. If you think that putting nazis , Islamofacists, revolutionary communists or religious fundamentalists into groups is segregating them unfairly or insensitive to them well that's tough. WEhatever next putting "criminals" is insensitive to people who commit crime?

Nice work on the type selection. :) take out Jews, Blacks ,Women and Red heads and put in nazis , Islamofacists, or revolutionary communists. How does htat grab you?

''I have no problem with Black people so long as they don't intermarry with white women''

'' I have no problem with Jews so long as they don't go about in that funny dress and hairstyle''

''I have no problem with women so long as they realize their place is in the home''

And now we can add ISAW's Law !

'' I have no problem with atheists so long as they keep it to themselves and not try to proselytize or get into government''

Or fascists, or Islamofacists, or Marxist Leninists, or Bolsheviks, or Nazis.

Well the Germans banned Nazism. I would not go that far. Indeed I have supported the right of such people to speak. I would support laws which prevent them form damaging society. I don't think the Church of Ireland or RCC have a damaging influence on society.

Absolutely correct ISAW , fine by me if you want to make those substitutions, fascists islamofascists marxists nazis - the lot , let them all have at it- provided they stay within the law as regards slander/libel,/children etc that we all have to abide by . Other than that let them have at it Dawkins,Nick Griffin,Abu Hamsa,David Irving, Tutu and in the free competition of ideas lets see who wins . Speaking for my self I have no doubt who will will win.

You then say you would not go so far as banning them,but would prefer laws preventing them damageing society, can I ask you .

What do you define as damaging society ?

what are those laws that you would bring in to prevent that damage limititation.

Would those laws be by statute or constitutional ?

Would you support the current blasphemy laws for example, the position of the Catholic Church in the constitution ?

But then that chimes with the fundamentally anti-democratic nature of the Catholic Church.

I presume you must be aware of the irony of your position whereby you spend pages and pages of texts railing against regimes persecuting people for their beliefs and seemingly are willing to go down that road yourself, and please before you go off at the deep end I am not saying that you or the church are the same as x or y , just pointing out the anomaly at the heart of your argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Speaking for my self I have no doubt who will win.
    We elected Bertie, I wouldn't be all that certain who of your lot wouldn't get elected.

Let us take the example of the Jews who are central to the WWII Holocaust.
    But you are then saying it isn't meglomania of Hitler because he would have killed anyone ( and maybe he would have eventually if given the chance so i would thin dont give him the chance to go any further based on what he did in the past)
    but his particular anti-Jew policy as outlined in the Nazi philosophy which led to Jews being singled out.

Exactly. the Nazi policy that the Jews were inferior people, who do not deserve human rights, lead to atrocities.
    You don't have to go looking for other reasons. "our superiour way is better than the Jews" was enough to lead to the persecution of Jews. The philosophy of their way being better and the promotion of that philosophy. A bit like promoting "there is no God" ?

Of course it isn't. One is hateful and violent anti-Semitism. The other is a statement about God.
    I brought up the deaths caused by people with atheism central to their system. They may have had other things as well . But if you look at other varioboles e.g. communism; totalitarianism; authoritarianism; freedom to do what you want; having moustaches; religious zealots etc. you can always find exceptions . Only atheistic regimes don't have exceptions when we have to look at the incidents in detail.

So let's look at the incidents in detail. Pick an atheist regime. Any atheist regime, and we will look at it in detail.
    very few. More importantly there were democracies which did not commit atrocities

Democracies do sometimes. They don't ALL THE TIME that is the point!
    What atheistic regime didn't commit atrocities?

I cannot find reference to any? What are the atheist democracies that committed atrocities?
    If adopted as a central tenet of a government which is why I call it an "atheistic" system. Is use "regime" because i dont know of atheistic government systems that were not regimes.

On the other hand Christianity has a record of NOT causing atrocities when in charge of the country.

Not atheistic = government with "ther is no god" as a central tenet.
    On the other hand government with "there is a God" were not all terror regimes.

Ther can be a majority of atheists in Ireland. so long as parents can have religion on schools protected by the constitution the Christians don't have a problem with their majority. It is when they start oppressing others the problems start. and this is when they have a tiny percentage of militants egging them on.

So it's not "atheism" that causes atrocities? It is state-enforced suppression? Do you retract the claim that "atheism" causes atrocities?
    It is symptomatic of a society that allows such fundamentalists to come about. By "allow" I dont mean "gives freedom to " but creates a philosophical tableau whereby the subjective norm dominates. relativism and absence of values prevail. they the of society that has no moral values but relativism like the atheists want or that makes out that morals or "meaningless" a philosophy which nihilists like you promote. It places a moral burden for similar atrocities ion the shoulders of those that deny moral values. The whole central issue of "there is a God" is not that God exists but that we assume it is a benevolent caring God depicting moral decency.

I find it hard to believe that you do not see the contrivances and mental gymnastics in the above paragraph. You are trying to present a terrorist attack committed by religious fanatics against an innocent public as a fault of Japan's atheism? You then make a blatantly false statement about Japan having no moral values? What?!? And then some incoherent nonsense about moral burdens and "the whole central issue"... I wouldn't even expect such nonsense from JC! The "whole central issue" is that your opinion of atheism in society is wrong.
    Plenty argued it! Maoists, Stalinists. The league of the Godless.
    When you say "morality is meaningless" you make a similar argument!
    You are basically saying "we don't need God"

I clearly meant nobody on this forum.
    So long as they don't impinge on Christians ( and others) rights to school their kids in ethos schools - fine by the Chrtistians.

So you don't believe atheists, if they populated the government, would lead to massacres?

tommy2bad wrote: »
    We elected Bertie, I wouldn't be all that certain who of your lot wouldn't get elected.

who do you think my lot is ?:) - in a democracy the dawkins and the Tutu's of this world will always come together when necessity demands.

marienbad wrote: »
    Absolutely correct ISAW , fine by me if you want to make those substitutions, fascists islamofascists marxists nazis - the lot , let them all have at it- provided they stay within the law as regards slander/libel,/children etc that we all have to abide by .

Yep . Including atheist education Ministers saying we should reduce religious ethos schools to 50%. But you get all the atheists trumpeting Ho Chi Quinn's cause. Farr enough. Allow the Marxist atheist Labour party members to spout such things ( while they send their own kids to such schools) just don't expect them to actually do what they say. Mind you it does sound a bit weak as water for a political philosophy doesn't it promising to "get the religious b*** out" but not actually doing anything.
    Other than that let them have at it Dawkins,Nick Griffin,Abu Hamsa,David Irving, Tutu and in the free competition of ideas lets see who wins . Speaking for my self I have no doubt who will will win.

Ah yes . No doubt? You have faith then.
    You then say you would not go so far as banning them,but would prefer laws preventing them damageing society, can I ask you .

What do you define as damaging society ?

Opposing natural Law.
    what are those laws that you would bring in to prevent that damage limititation.

We don't need any . We already have them. We just don't need a "Stickie" Judge to reinterpret them.
    Would those laws be by statute or constitutional ?

Given the fundamentality...Probably by case law and interpretation of the constitution.
    Would you support the current blasphemy laws for example, the position of the Catholic Church in the constitution ?

What position of the Catholic Church in the Constitution? The one we removed in the 1970s?
    But then that chimes with the fundamentally anti-democratic nature of the Catholic Church.

I already told you I'm a Republican. I don't think "majority rule" is the be all and end all. In a Republic we don't live by that.
    I presume you must be aware of the irony of your position whereby you spend pages and pages of texts railing against regimes persecuting people for their beliefs and seemingly are willing to go down that road yourself, and please before you go off at the deep end I am not saying that you or the church are the same as x or y , just pointing out the anomaly at the heart of your argument.

There isn't any anomaly! Christianity has been around for 2,000 years and has fairly much run countries ( and Empires) for at least 1700 of those years to a remarkably positive effect. Atheism has also been around and whenever given the chance to run things millions died.

Exactly. the Nazi policy that the Jews were inferior people, who do not deserve human rights, lead to atrocities.

A policy based on their philosophy that the master race are superiour and have a better way.
    Do you believe atheism is a better way?
    Of course it isn't. One is hateful and violent anti-Semitism. The other is a statement about God.

Anti Semite = anti Jew.
    You think that Judaism has nothing to do with believing in God ? Hint: Consider their first commandment.
    So let's look at the incidents in detail. Pick an atheist regime. Any atheist regime, and we will look at it in detail.

Pol Pot's
    I cannot find reference to any? What are the atheist democracies that committed atrocities?

Ther never were any atheist democracies to my knowledge. All governments with "there is no God" as a central tenet were regimes. What atheistic regime didn't commit atrocities?
    So it's not "atheism" that causes atrocities? It is state-enforced suppression? Do you retract the claim that "atheism" causes atrocities?

So Naziism didn't cause atrocities only state repression?
    I find it hard to believe that you do not see the contrivances and mental gymnastics in the above paragraph. You are trying to present a terrorist attack committed by religious fanatics against an innocent public as a fault of Japan's atheism?

I am saying the society that allows such movements come about are an enabling culture yes.
    You then make a blatantly false statement about Japan having no moral values? What?!? And then some incoherent nonsense about moral burdens and "the whole central issue"... I wouldn't even expect such nonsense from JC! The "whole central issue" is that your opinion of atheism in society is wrong.

You carry your own burden! Dint try to give it to me. claiming "morality is a meaningless concept" is the type of thinking that leads to the likes of Aum Shira.
    I clearly meant nobody on this forum.

I think perhaps you mean you "didn't mean anybody" although being a nihilist I see you might express it in such a different way.
    So you don't believe atheists, if they populated the government, would lead to massacres?

Not all of them. Only the "we have to think seriously about our atheism and promote atheism and attack religion " atheists. NB non atheists will never say such comments.

• Advertisement

I am saying the society that allows such movements come about are an enabling culture yes.
    Well thats every Christian democracy screwed then and Islamic republic. Only totalitarianism can keep this kind of thing at bay, maybe we should elect a dictator to keep us all safe.:rolleyes:

A policy based on their philosophy that the master race are superiour and have a better way.
    Do you believe atheism is a better way?

Anti Semite = anti Jew.
    You think that Judaism has nothing to do with believing in God ? Hint: Consider their first commandment.

Do you even remember what you are trying to argue any more?
    Pol Pot's

Excellent example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pol_Pot

"During his time in power he imposed a version of agrarian socialism, forcing urban dwellers to relocate to the countryside to work in collective farms and forced labour projects. The combined effects of forced labor, malnutrition, poor medical care, and executions resulted in the deaths of approximately 21 percent of the Cambodian population. In all, an estimated 2,000,000 to 4,000,000 people died under his leadership."

Why do you believe it was atheism, as opposed to the agrarian socialist policies of Pol Pot, that resulted in so many dead. Do you believe that it was not agrarian socialism, but rather atheism, that caused this atrocity?
    Ther never were any atheist democracies to my knowledge. All governments with "there is no God" as a central tenet were regimes. What atheistic regime didn't commit atrocities?

So why would you believe an atheist democracy would commit atrocities?
    So Naziism didn't cause atrocities only state repression?

Oppression is a Nazi policy.

This is idiotic. You claimed atheist societies always committed atrocities, and then when presented with such a society that happens to be perfectly peaceful and tolerant. You say "Well they enabled it." How?! Do you think Japan collectively said "These guys are going to unleash a terrorist attack but we're not going to do anything because we have no morals and are nihilists and morality is meaningless and blah blah blah"? It makes absolutely no sense, and bears absolutely no relation whatsoever to the moral fibre and social integrity of Japan. It is a religious sect committing abhorrent acts against an innocent and secular public. This is glaringly obvious. It's so obvious that again, the only reason you would type such nonsense is you are incapable of admitting that, just maybe, you had said something incorrect.
    You carry your own burden! Dint try to give it to me. claiming "morality is a meaningless concept" is the type of thinking that leads to the likes of Aum Shira.

You are the one who said morality is a meaningless concept! (See what I did there? See how I accused you of saying something you never said?)
    I think perhaps you mean you "didn't mean anybody" although being a nihilist I see you might express it in such a different way.

I have a feeling you are trying to change the subject. I clearly meant nobody on this forum was arguing in favour of a new atheist dictatorship. Again, you are hiding behind a mound of nonsense and hysteria to hide your simple error.
    Not all of them. Only the "we have to think seriously about our atheism and promote atheism and attack religion " atheists. NB non atheists will never say such comments.

Is rational discourse "attacking religion"?

Yep . Including atheist education Ministers saying we should reduce religious ethos schools to 50%. But you get all the atheists trumpeting Ho Chi Quinn's cause. Farr enough. Allow the Marxist atheist Labour party members to spout such things ( while they send their own kids to such schools) just don't expect them to actually do what they say. Mind you it does sound a bit weak as water for a political philosophy doesn't it promising to "get the religious b*** out" but not actually doing anything.

Ah yes . No doubt? You have faith then.

Opposing natural Law.

We don't need any . We already have them. We just don't need a "Stickie" Judge to reinterpret them.

Given the fundamentality...Probably by case law and interpretation of the constitution.

What position of the Catholic Church in the Constitution? The one we removed in the 1970s?

I already told you I'm a Republican. I don't think "majority rule" is the be all and end all. In a Republic we don't live by that.

There isn't any anomaly! Christianity has been around for 2,000 years and has fairly much run countries ( and Empires) for at least 1700 of those years to a remarkably positive effect. Atheism has also been around and whenever given the chance to run things millions died.

The behaviour of politicians whether because of constrained choice or pure hypocrisy is not the issue. Answer the question please- do you believe in freedom of speech/ assembly etc for all or just for some ?

And yes indeed I do have faith . Faith that good people of all beliefs and none will always be found in time of of need.

When you say ''opposing natural law'' is that as formulated by Aristotle/Aquinas ?

Again I ask do you support the current blasphemy laws ?

So you don't disagree that the Catholic Church if fundamentally anti- democratic ?

There is an anomaly at the heart of your argument. Trotting out yet again about the 2000 years history is irrelevant and unproven.

Well thats every Christian democracy screwed then and Islamic republic. Only totalitarianism can keep this kind of thing at bay, maybe we should elect a dictator to keep us all safe.:rolleyes:

Oddly enough when you compare them, while they made mistakes, religions did actuall build things. Im only discussing Christianity in this group. When compared to atheism running things Christianity under any criterion, even in a Christian dictatorship performs better.

The behaviour of politicians whether because of constrained choice or pure hypocrisy is not the issue. Answer the question please- do you believe in freedom of speech/ assembly etc for all or just for some ?

I have already done so.
    I defended the right for Islamic fundies to spoeak and I defended the right for EU "freedom party" nationalists to speak when atheist Anti-Nazi marxists were banging on the door protesting about such people speaking. "Freedom to speak - except anyone who we don't think should speak" - seemed to be their motto.
    And yes indeed I do have faith . Faith that good people of all beliefs and none will always be found in time of of need.

Funny how it always seems to be the believers helping those in times of need. The atheist charities are rare on the ground although i admit until recently I didn't know they even existed. Of course when they do charity work we are supposed it is because of atheism being a central tenet but if they do anything bad we are supposed to think atheism has nothing to do with it.
    When you say ''opposing natural law'' is that as formulated by Aristotle/Aquinas ?

No nor are the laws of physics formed by people. They always existed.
    In this specific instance I think "natural and constitutional justice" might get us out of a long detour into the "Natural Law" thread.
    Again I ask do you support the current blasphemy laws ?

Don't know enough about them. Do I think someone should be accused of a crime for desecrating communion or a Muslim or Jewish Holy shrine - yes.

Do I think religions are under attack from relativists and atheists? - yes

The law defends peoples right to religion and the constitution opposes blasphemy.
    Would i vote to remove that constitutional provision? the more atheists post about it and the more nasty comments I see from smart alec atheists the more i am convinced not to remove such a constitutional provision.
    So you don't disagree that the Catholic Church if fundamentally anti- democratic ?

What do you mean?
    as opposed to disagreeing it is anti democratic?
    or
    as opposed to not argrring it is anti democratic
    Or as opposed to not agreeing it is democratic
    Or disagreeing it is democratic?

The Church doesn't oppose democracies ir whatever other secular law people chose to live by.
    Democracy is a flawed concept as de Tocqueville (( democracy in America) and Rand ( Collectivized Rights) pointed out. a republic is a demorcary regulated by law.

The Church has some democratic processes but no it isn't a democracy. They don't change dogma based on whims of the masses.
    There is an anomaly at the heart of your argument. Trotting out yet again about the 2000 years history is irrelevant and unproven.

Ther are 2,000 years of records. You can tot up how much harm you think Christianity caused. Atheist Stalin did more harm before breakfast.

Why do you believe it was atheism, as opposed to the agrarian socialist policies of Pol Pot, that resulted in so many dead. Do you believe that it was not agrarian socialism, but rather atheism, that caused this atrocity?

Why do you believe the Nazis or their philosophy didn't kill people - just their gas did?
    http://omgili.com/newsgroups/aus/religion/yXjcl11904cu2919news-serverbigpondnetau.html
    "An atheist, Pol Pot suppressed Cambodia’s Buddhist religion:
    monks were defrocked; temples and artifacts, including statues of
    Buddha, were destroyed; and people praying or expressing
    other religious sentiments were often killed.
    ...the government emptied the cities through mass evacuations
    and sent people to the countryside. Cambodians were overworked
    and underfed on collective farms, often succumbing to disease or
    starvation as a result. Spouses were separated and family meals
    prohibited in order to steer loyalties toward the state
    instead of the family.
    About 1.7 million Cambodians, or about 20 percent of the population,
    were worked, starved, or beaten to death under Pol Pot’s regime."
    - http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761579038/pol_pot.html

The Cambodian Genocide:
    http://www.lietuvos.net/istorija/communism/communism_photos2/392millones.jpg

"The country's 40,000 to 60,000 Buddhist monks,
    regarded by the regime as social parasites,
    were defrocked and forced into labor brigades.
    Many monks were executed; temples and pagodas were
    destroyed or turned into storehouses or jails.
    Images of the Buddha were defaced and dumped into
    rivers and lakes. People who were discovered praying
    or expressing religious sentiments in other ways
    were often killed.

The Christian and Muslim communities were among the most
    persecuted, as well. The Roman Catholic cathedral of
    Phnom Penh was completely razed.

The Khmer Rouge forced Muslims to eat pork, which they
    regard as an abomination. Many of those who refused were killed.
    Christian clergy and Muslim imams were executed."
    - http://countrystudies.us/cambodia/29.htm

"Forty-eight percent of Cambodia's Christians were killed
    because of their religion."

http://www.lietuvos.net/istorija/communism/communism_photos2/44camboyano.jpg

"the state established atheism as the only scientific truth."
    - Daniel Peris,
    "Storming the Heavens: The Soviet League of the Militant Godless"
    Cornell University Press 1998 ISBN 9780801434853

"State atheism has been mostly implemented in communist
    countries, such as the former Soviet Union,[1] China,
    Communist Albania, Communist Afghanistan, North Korea,
    Communist Mongolia and Poland under communist rule also
    promoted state atheism and suppressed religion.
    - Forced out: the fate of Polish Jewry in Communist Poland.
    Wolak, Arthur J. p 104

In these nations, the governments viewed atheism as an
    intrinsic part of communist ideology.

So why would you believe an atheist democracy would commit atrocities?

Message-ID: <f4yLq.972$v14.534@viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com>
    u have a real job explaining the free, open, tolerant,
    progressive secular democratic societies have all been built
    and sustained by MAJORITY RELIGIOUS populations.
    The difference is religious societies are NOT ALL dogmatic tyrannies,
    whereas EVERY atheist state was!
    ... i guess that's why you
    hypocrites choose to live there rather than in an atheist state, eh?
    Oppression is a Nazi policy.

So it isnt their gas now it is the policy behind the gas and the principle and beliefs behind that? But of course you say "this can only be applied to believers in God or some anti-Christian forms of theosophy and never applied to atheism" How come that?

Especially when you judge the actions more significant than the underlying reason for those actions
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68897425&postcount=179
    And as much as I commend anyone who took action against poverty, I don't accept their reasoning or their understanding of why they took action.

This is idiotic. You claimed atheist societies always committed atrocities, and then when presented with such a society that happens to be perfectly peaceful and tolerant.

Japan is a secular democracy. It isn't an atheistic state. If and when it was atheistic it committed atrocities.
    You say "Well they enabled it." How?! Do you think Japan collectively said "These guys are going to unleash a terrorist attack but we're not going to do anything because we have no morals and are nihilists and morality is meaningless and blah blah blah"?

QED. But you might lookup the chomsky reference i supplied before . The system itself can self select and censor. See "What makes the mainstream mainstream"
    http://www.chomsky.info/articles/199710--.htm
    Italics added by me
    They say, quite correctly, "nobody ever tells me what to write. I write anything I like. All this business about pressures and constraints is nonsense because I’m never under any pressure." Which is completely true, but the point is that they wouldn’t be there unless they had already demonstrated that nobody has to tell them what to write because they are going say the right thing. If they had started off at the Metro desk, or something, and had pursued the wrong kind of stories, they never would have made it to the positions where they can now say anything they like. The same is mostly true of university faculty in the more ideological disciplines. They have been through the socialization system.
    It makes absolutely no sense, and bears absolutely no relation whatsoever to the moral fibre and social integrity of Japan. It is a religious sect committing abhorrent acts against an innocent and secular public. This is glaringly obvious. It's so obvious that again, the only reason you would type such nonsense is you are incapable of admitting that, just maybe, you had said something incorrect.

You are the one who said morality is a meaningless concept! (See what I did there? See how I accused you of saying something you never said?)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72398117&postcount=295
    Moral nihilism (which is what I would call myself) is the idea that moral systems can be internally consistent, but do not reflect any necessary truths.
    I have a feeling you are trying to change the subject.

Nope. My mind wanders subject to what I see. I have neurological problems with focus. If you think I intentionally am being dishonest you are entirely wrong.
    I dn't know tho what the above "change" refers but that might also be a reason I reply to the comment sometimes and don't check up the "quote" ( invisible in the reply)
    to which ti refers.
    I clearly meant nobody on this forum was arguing in favour of a new atheist dictatorship. Again, you are hiding behind a mound of nonsense and hysteria to hide your simple error.

I think you may mean my correction of your reference to "nobody" having an opinion etc.
    Put it this way
    A barman once gad mad at me because instead of ordering Guiness i said i wanted nothing because the day before he told me "nothing was better than a pint of Guinness"
    Is rational discourse "attacking religion"?

Rationalists did plenty of it in their time.

Democracy is a flawed concept as de Tocqueville (( democracy in America) and Rand ( Collectivized Rights) pointed out
    Your referencing Ayn Rand:eek::eek::eek:
    For Gods sake man, try to keep some creditability.

ISAW your arguments have become a mishmash jumble of retractions contradictions and false comparisons that at this stage I wonder is there any point in going on with the conversation.

Your referencing Ayn Rand:eek::eek::eek:
    For Gods sake man, try to keep some creditability.

Fasgnadh is an agnostic
    Rand was an objectivist - not subjective like Wicknight/Zombrex

I'm pointing out the "Natural Law" argument can be secular.

• Advertisement

ISAW your arguments have become a mishmash jumble of retractions contradictions and false comparisons that at this stage I wonder is there any point in going on with the conversation.

Feel free to list any
    - retractions
    -contradictions
    -false comparisons

For your part
    - you have not retracted the "I believe God ordered mass rape in the bible" claim
    -If you accept religion didn't cause atrocities you contradict that claim

Why do you believe the moon is made of cheese?

Nazis killed people. The blame lies with the Nazis and their policies.
    <Pol Pot references>

Again, I see the blame lying squarely on the policies of Pol Pot. Perhaps you are claiming that, if Pol Pot was not an atheist, he wouldn't have committed atrocities? A claim as baseless as the claim that, if King Leopold was an atheist, he would not have committed atrocities.
    Japan is a secular democracy. It isn't an atheistic state.

So? You said atheism causes atrocities? Are you now changing your statement to "Atheist states caused atrocities, but secular pluralist democracies, even if predominantly atheist, don't cause atrocities"?
    QED. But you might lookup the chomsky reference i supplied before . The system itself can self select and censor. See "What makes the mainstream mainstream"
    http://www.chomsky.info/articles/199710--.htm
    Italics added by me

No, not QED at all. Japan does not say ""These guys are going to unleash a terrorist attack but we're not going to do anything because we have no morals and are nihilists and morality is meaningless and blah blah blah". The leaders of the group have been arrested, anti-Aum laws were brought in. The entire group had to remove the parts of their religious doctrine that justified murder. Your understanding of Japanese culture (and of ethics in general) is atrocious. Quoting Chomsky doesn't change that.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72398117&postcount=295

"Moral nihilism (which is what I would call myself) is the idea that moral systems can be internally consistent, but do not reflect any necessary truths."

Yep, where did I say morality is meaningless? I also believe mathematics is the study of formal systems that are consistent, but not necessarily true. Do you think I believe mathematics is meaningless? Especially considering I use it intensively every day.
    Nope. My mind wanders subject to what I see. I have neurological problems with focus. If you think I intentionally am being dishonest you are entirely wrong.
    I dn't know tho what the above "change" refers but that might also be a reason I reply to the comment sometimes and don't check up the "quote" ( invisible in the reply)
    to which ti refers.

The change is from "Atheism causes atrocities" to "The meta-ethical consistency of Moral nihilism"
    I think you may mean my correction of your reference to "nobody" having an opinion etc.
    Put it this way
    A barman once gad mad at me because instead of ordering Guiness i said i wanted nothing because the day before he told me "nothing was better than a pint of Guinness"

That is an issue of "nothing" referring to a null set {}, but also an existential qualification ∄ x: P(x) (Where P(x) is "X is better than pint of Guinness") whereas this is an issue of generalization. Anyway, so long as you are clear that by "nobody" I mean nobody on this board is arguing for state-enforced atheism, and not "nobody at all" there is no issue.
    Rationalists did plenty of it in their time.

You didn't answer the question (I have issues with with the epistemic position of Rationalism). Do you believe rational discourse is an attack on Religion?

Feel free to list any
    - retractions
    -contradictions
    -false comparisons

For your part
    - you have not retracted the "I believe God ordered mass rape in the bible" claim
    -If you accept religion didn't cause atrocities you contradict that claim

-retractions -your whole acceptance/retraction/acceptance/ retraction /acceptance /retraction with conditions attached of ''neither theism/atheism causes atrocities'

-contradictions- your whole atheist state/Japan/Sarin gas analogy

- false comparision - your constant default position when all else fails,i.e our side killed less than the otherside, our side invented more/ produced more art,/ did whatever more and better than the other side . None of which is relevant and all of it unproven.

On top of all that I might add your constant changing of the subject to muddy the waters- i.e the rape issue

or your segue on your position as it suits- initially we are discussing theism viv a vis theism, then you say you are only concerned with christianity vis a vis atheism, but when it suits in rebuttal Islam slides back in. All of which are meainingless in the context of the discussion.

Or your constant and deliberate misuse of words ,
    -atheism -atheistic regime- totalitarian are not interchanable .
    -religion/religious/organised religion/ christianity/catholicism is not the opposite of atheism. They are subsets of the opposite of atheism, which is theism. so your constant refrain of religion did'nt cause atrocities is again an invalid wording or comparision.

Why do you believe the moon is made of cheese?

Nazis killed people. The blame lies with the Nazis and their policies.

Therefore when atheism get into control of a state the blame lies with their philosophy not with the fact that they are ion control.
    Again, I see the blame lying squarely on the policies of Pol Pot.
    Which is a direct contradition of the above. either it was all hitlers fault and the philosophy didnt have anything to do with it or it was Naziisms fault as well. Just because hitler was a bad guy is not need to use that as an excuse for these that came to this call.
    Perhaps you are claiming that, if Pol Pot was not an atheist, he wouldn't have committed atrocities?
    Not just him. The whole atheistic "there is no god" regime which committed atrocities far in excess of anything the church did.
    A claim as baseless as the claim that, if King Leopold was an atheist, he would not have committed atrocities.

WE know Pol pot was and wh know what he did. Waffle don't change that.
    So? You said atheism causes atrocities? Are you now changing your statement to "Atheist states caused atrocities, but secular pluralist democracies, even if predominantly atheist, don't cause atrocities"?

I never said all atheism causes atrocities. I stated atheistic regimes i.r. there athes9ts take over society.
    No, not QED at all. Japan does not say ""These guys are going to unleash a terrorist attack but we're not going to do anything because we have no morals and are nihilists and morality is meaningless and blah blah blah".

It doesnt have to say anything to enable such terrororistic thought.

Bushes "invade Iraq" US was such a society.
    The leaders of the group have been arrested, anti-Aum laws were brought in. The entire group had to remove the parts of their religious doctrine that justified murder. Your understanding of Japanese culture (and of ethics in general) is atrocious. Quoting Chomsky doesn't change that.

And the leaders of WACO were killed. But that does not mean US society didn't enable the Branch Dividians to come about.
    Yep, where did I say morality is meaningless? I also believe mathematics is the study of formal systems that are consistent, but not necessarily true. Do you think I believe mathematics is meaningless? Especially considering I use it intensively every day.

Okay then tell us straight - do you believe the concept of "good and evil" is meaningless or not?

[quotep]
    The change is from "Atheism causes atrocities" to "The meta-ethical consistency of Moral nihilism"
    [/quote]

Meta ethical meaning "above ethics" That Nihilism is a better way above nmorality?
    Do you believe atheism is also a better way?
    by "nobody" I mean nobody on this board is arguing for state-enforced atheism, and not "nobody at all" there is no issue.

Again I think you may mean "there is not anybody who is arguing" and not "nobody" is.
    There is not a "nobody" to argue.
    You didn't answer the question (I have issues with with the epistemic position of Rationalism). Do you believe rational discourse is an attack on Religion?

Rationalists using rational discourse have done so. A hammer can be used to build a house or attack another.

-retractions -your whole acceptance/retraction/acceptance/ retraction /acceptance /retraction with conditions attached of ''neither theism/atheism causes atrocities'

That was Morbert's statement not mine.
    -contradictions- your whole atheist state/Japan/Sarin gas analogy

It isn't a religious state today. It has a high number of atheists and atheism has huge influences on national mores. It is not atheistic however.
    - false comparision - your constant default position when all else fails,i.e our side killed less than the otherside, our side invented more/ produced more art,/ did whatever more and better than the other side . None of which is relevant and all of it unproven.

Not unproven. I supplied the references. If you dispute them care to show me where they are wrong?
    On top of all that I might add your constant changing of the subject to muddy the waters- i.e the rape issue

1. You brought up the "God ordered rape"
    2. You ran away when challenged on it.
    3. You then later reentered it.No muddying involved by me.
    or your segue on your position as it suits- initially we are discussing theism viv a vis theism, then you say you are only concerned with christianity vis a vis atheism,

1. Look at the thread title.
    2. Look at the group name.

I haven't changed anything on that
    Both you and Morbert are alleging Im dishonest.
    Im not and I wont accept that from you.

Im snipping the rest and complaining

That was Morbert's statement not mine.

It isn't a religious state today. It has a high number of atheists and atheism has huge influences on national mores. It is not atheistic however.

Not unproven. I supplied the references. If you dispute them care to show me where they are wrong?

1. You brought up the "God ordered rape"
    2. You ran away when challenged on it.
    3. You then later reentered it.No muddying involved by me.

1. Look at the thread title.
    2. Look at the group name.

I haven't changed anything on that
    Both you and Morbert are alleging Im dishonest.
    Im not and I wont accept that from you.

Im snipping the rest and complaining

This is all pointless, you just evade answering anything with more scattergun posts and irrelevancies. Your point boils down to ''atheism causes atrocities, theism/ christianity does not'' - if you agree with that summation of your position- I challenge you to lay out a clear logical argument in support of it.

• Advertisement

This is all pointless, you just evade answering anything with more scattergun posts and irrelevancies. Your point boils down to ''atheism causes atrocities, theism/ christianity does not'' - if you agree with that summation of your position- I challenge you to lay out a clear logical argument in support of it.

I have NEVER claimed 'atheism causes atrocities, theism/ christianity does not'!
    Atheists are quick to point out and over hype the Inquisition and the crusades.
    I have accepted that Christianity ( of which there were billions of members) was in charge when these atrocities happened.
    But in doing so they entirely ignore the numbers pale to insignificance in terms of the hundreds of millions slaughtered by "there is no God" atheistic regimes (when atheists usually make up a tiny per cent of the developed Societies ( developed not by atheists but by christians and other non atheists) in which they were doing this slaughtering).

The clear argument is there in the history.

christianity around 2000 years. cities and civilizations built.
    Atheism when it got in control - piles of skulls and economic ruin.

I have NEVER claimed 'atheism causes atrocities, theism/ christianity does not'!
    Atheists are quick to point out and over hype the Inquisition and the crusades.
    I have accepted that Christianity ( of which there were billions of members) was in charge when these atrocities happened.
    But in doing so they entirely ignore the numbers pale to insignificance in terms of the hundreds of millions slaughtered by "there is no God" atheistic regimes (when atheists usually make up a tiny per cent of the developed Societies ( developed not by atheists but by christians and other non atheists) in which they were doing this slaughtering).

The clear argument is there in the history.

christianity around 2000 years. cities and civilizations built.
    Atheism when it got in control - piles of skulls and economic ruin.

There you are doing it again -theism builds civilisations - atheism builds mountains of skulls ! Care to revisit that first sentence and as you are at it how about a logical argument to prove your premise ?.

There you are doing it again -theism builds civilisations - atheism builds mountains of skulls ! Care to revisit that first sentence and as you are at it how about a logical argument to prove your premise ?.

Yes.
    I refer to Christianity in particular.
    In 2000 years several entire civilizations were steeped in christianity.
    From about 300 Ad the roman Empire was effectively christian and run by christians with the idea of Christ being god.
    From about 400 till about 1500 the Eastern Roman Empire was linked to the Christian Church . the government law etc. were all heavily influenced or linked to the Orthodox christian church.
    The feudal system in the rest of Europe was heavily influenced or controlled byt the church i.e. the Pope in Rome the local Bishop or Abbot.

Monks (who did what they did because of their Christian faith) throughout Europe but expecially at the finiges both in Byzantium and Britain and Ireland preserved the classical knowledge of antiquity. Some such as Roger Bacon developed science metallurgy etc. In fact Church education was the only education. Atheist schools were not developing anything. The REformation and counter Reformation was a movement brought about by basically "Christian" values being adopted into democracy and trade and fulled the Renaissance which would not have come about without the aforementioned Christian preservation of knowledge.

Western science and civilization was built on the "logos" of ancient Greece which was preserved in the Christian church.

What did the atheists do all this time? What did they build? Who did they help?
    Atheism as a philosophy when put in charge or made central to any state led to nothing but decay,

Yes.
    I refer to Christianity in particular.
    In 2000 years several entire civilizations were steeped in christianity.
    From about 300 Ad the roman Empire was effectively christian and run by christians with the idea of Christ being god.
    From about 400 till about 1500 the Eastern Roman Empire was linked to the Christian Church . the government law etc. were all heavily influenced or linked to the Orthodox christian church.
    The feudal system in the rest of Europe was heavily influenced or controlled byt the church i.e. the Pope in Rome the local Bishop or Abbot.

Monks (who did what they did because of their Christian faith) throughout Europe but expecially at the finiges both in Byzantium and Britain and Ireland preserved the classical knowledge of antiquity. Some such as Roger Bacon developed science metallurgy etc. In fact Church education was the only education. Atheist schools were not developing anything. The REformation and counter Reformation was a movement brought about by basically "Christian" values being adopted into democracy and trade and fulled the Renaissance which would not have come about without the aforementioned Christian preservation of knowledge.

Western science and civilization was built on the "logos" of ancient Greece which was preserved in the Christian church.

What did the atheists do all this time? What did they build? Who did they help?
    Atheism as a philosophy when put in charge or made central to any state led to nothing but decay,

This is just more repetition but now expanded to take credit for the Greeks and Romans ! You are just constantly repeating your premise- i.e Christianity builds civilisations - atheism equals decay. Would you care to lay out a logical proof ?

Therefore when atheism get into control of a state the blame lies with their philosophy not with the fact that they are ion control.

Which is a direct contradition of the above. either it was all hitlers fault and the philosophy didnt have anything to do with it or it was Naziisms fault as well. Just because hitler was a bad guy is not need to use that as an excuse for these that came to this call.

Not just him. The whole atheistic "there is no god" regime which committed atrocities far in excess of anything the church did.

Yes. Their entire philosophy is to blame. You are making the mistake of assuming atheism is the offending component of their philosophy, and I have pointed out that plenty of atheists abhor the philosophies of people like Stalin and Pol Pot.
    WE know Pol pot was and wh know what he did. Waffle don't change that.

Exactly. So why try and turn his tyranny into some contrived hypothetical about atheism?
    I never said all atheism causes atrocities. I stated atheistic regimes i.r. there athes9ts take over society.

"Atheist regimes" and "A society of atheists" are not synonymous.
    It doesnt have to say anything to enable such terrororistic thought.

The crazy philosophy of Aum is what "enabled terroristic thought". Japan is tolerant and peaceful. You are trying to depict Japan as morally paralysed, a charge clearly demonstrated as false with a simple look at Japan's reaction to the attack.
    Bushes "invade Iraq" US was such a society.

And the leaders of WACO were killed. But that does not mean US society didn't enable the Branch Dividians to come about.

Bush's (and much of America's) philosophy is a moral objectivism and Christianity.
    Okay then tell us straight - do you believe the concept of "good and evil" is meaningless or not?

No. I don't believe such concepts are meaningless.
    Morbert wrote:

Meta ethical meaning "above ethics" That Nihilism is a better way above nmorality?
    Do you believe atheism is also a better way?

Atheism is not a way. Meta-ethical means nihilism is a statement about ethical systems, not an ethical system itself. Just as nihilism can be a metaphysical statement about reality, but not a physical framework itself. The same goes for moral objectivism. This is in distinct contrast to normative moral relativism, which is a (self-defeating) ethical system stating we should always respect the morality of other cultures.
    Again I think you may mean "there is not anybody who is arguing" and not "nobody" is.
    There is not a "nobody" to argue.

The English language is robust enough to avoid the need for such circumlocution. Just as "Nothing is better than a pint of Guinnes" is understandable.
    Rationalists using rational discourse have done so. A hammer can be used to build a house or attack another.

So if I, say, argue that there is no evidence for God, would you interpret that as an "attack" or just a statement you disagree with?

• Advertisement

Their are a fair few skulls in the back story of any civilization.
    The anti theist accusation that theists are hypocrites stands. No point saying they are wrong when we admit to being sinners. Better to explain that our aim far exceeds our reach but what do we do? settle for less or try for more despite failing?
    ISAW your numbers game misses the point.

This is just more repetition but now expanded to take credit for the Greeks and Romans !

I have quite clearly demonstrated how Hellinisation led to the roman Empire and that became enshrined as "logos" in Christianity which coupled it with "theos" and how the Eastern Roman empire was inextricable linked with the church and remained there until Constantinople fell fifteen centuries later. Athesim as an influence on this history had not part to play in building civilization at all. Clearly the Church was establkished and involved in running society since at least the third century.

It is onl;;y after the collapse of The Orthodox Empire that atheism becomes widespread in Europe as a philosophy to underpin running domains. Even since then in europe whenever it was tried society suffered. I don't claim all suffering was exclusive to atheism being adopted as a principle, but the worst run societies were atheistic.
    You are just constantly repeating your premise- i.e Christianity builds civilisations - atheism equals decay. Would you care to lay out a logical proof ?

My reasoning is inductive. I freely admit it is not logically deduced. Nor was Newton's law of gravitation. Nor can I logically deduce the Sun will rise tomorrow.

Their are a fair few skulls in the back story of any civilization.

Indeed. Even Thousands of them for christianity from time to time over 2,000 years.
    But atheistic regimews has hundreds of millions - really Big piles.
    Communism, Population density or technology don't explain how the piles are so big either because there are NON atheistic communist , dense populations and similarly technologically equipped societies which didn't have such piles.
    In fact all Christian didnt have such piles unless you add up several Christian regimes oifer centuries. For example if you add up all the Spanish inquisition over 450 years you come to about 20,000 executions.
    The anti theist accusation that theists are hypocrites stands. No point saying they are wrong when we admit to being sinners. Better to explain that our aim far exceeds our reach but what do we do? settle for less or try for more despite failing?
    ISAW your numbers game misses the point.

the point Christianity strayed from their own principles and made mistakes. Atheistic regimes slaughtered by the newtime when they "stayed the course".

Nor can I logically deduce the Sun will rise tomorrow.
    This is nonsense. You can demonstrate the mechanism that causes the sun to rise and fall and logical deduce that the sun will rise tomorrow. You cant demonstrate any mechanism that causes atheism to inevitable end in atrocities. The whole frag count is a distraction.
    You are raising a valid point but carting it to an illogical conclusion.

I have quite clearly demonstrated how Hellinisation led to the roman Empire and that became enshrined as "logos" in Christianity which coupled it with "theos" and how the Eastern Roman empire was inextricable linked with the church and remained there until Constantinople fell fifteen centuries later. Athesim as an influence on this history had not part to play in building civilization at all. Clearly the Church was establkished and involved in running society since at least the third century.

It is onl;;y after the collapse of The Orthodox Empire that atheism becomes widespread in Europe as a philosophy to underpin running domains. Even since then in europe whenever it was tried society suffered. I don't claim all suffering was exclusive to atheism being adopted as a principle, but the worst run societies were atheistic.

My reasoning is inductive. I freely admit it is not logically deduced. Nor was Newton's law of gravitation. Nor can I logically deduce the Sun will rise tomorrow.

Inductive is it ? Well lets forget about the sun as that is patently untrue and come to Newton - ''there is a distance between a truth that is glimpsed and a truth that is demonstrated''. However Newton may have glimpsed his laws he sets out the proofs in clear demonstrable terms.

Care to do the same for your theory ? If not it is just your opinion.

Came across this book, it might be of interest to followers of this thread.
    http://www.amazon.com/Religion-Atheists-Non-believers-Guide-Uses/dp/0307379108
    The problem of the man without religion is that he forgets. We all know in theory what we should do to be good. The problem is that in practice, we forget. And we forget because the modern secular world always thinks that it is enough to tell someone something once (be good, remember the poor etc.) But all religions disagree here: they insist that if anyone is to stand a chance of remembering anything, they need reminders on a daily, perhaps even hourly basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Came across this book, it might be of interest to followers of this thread.
    http://www.amazon.com/Religion-Atheists-Non-believers-Guide-Uses/dp/0307379108

Apart from complying with state law to avoid goal and fines, being moral is totally contrary to natural selection, being 'successful', and survival of the fittest. So apart from religious belief there is no rational reason for adhering to what other people consider moral. Your morality then can then become subjective, not objective. Much easier. Under personal subjective morality, almost any action can be very easily justified by using the, 'survival of the fittest', natural selection, sucess and wealth of 'my family' and 'my offspring' above all else rational, and the ends will always justify the means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Virgil°

So apart from religious belief there is no rational reason for adhering to what other people consider moral.

Except there is a reason. That personal subjective morality, excusing any action for the good of oneself, is short sighted in the extreme. If a person is willing to bypass the moral norms of a society then he must also consider(unless he is unable to do so) what would happen if others or even all others in that society acted as he did. It would be the end of that society and by association his own family within it.
    I think of it as kind of an extension of or consequence of completely violating the golden rule.

What you've also done here with this rationale is a great disservice to yourself. Following your logic of "without religion there is no rational reason for moral norms" then you imply you wouldn't have the faculties to maintain moral normality were you, say, convinced to be an atheist, god forbid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Virgil° wrote: »
    It would be the end of that society and by association his own family within it.
    I think of it as kind of an extension of or consequence of completely violating the golden rule.

Not if they get on top first, and never ever confuse state law and security of the state, with morality.
    It's not hard to technically avoid breaking state law (to avoid the consequences) and still be extremely so called 'immoral' by other peoples weak, self imposed, restrictive standards.
    As Margaret Thatcher said "There is no society"
    Ask any Anglo Irish Bank Bondholder as he sips cocktails on his Caymen Island's Beach
    'Morality' is a bar to personal 'success', it always has been.
    Survival of the fittest works.
    That's evolution and natural selection.
    Virgil° wrote: »
    you imply you wouldn't have the faculties to maintain moral normality were you, say, convinced to be an atheist, god forbid.

Leaving your strawman / ad homiem attempt aside for now ;
    Do you really think I am totally unique, rather than just being totally honest ?
    Moral normality ? There is none. What is considered totally moral by one person is totally imoral for another.
    All is fair in love and war.
    The strong survive.
    Winner takes all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

I sometimes wonder at people who believe that Religion boxes in morality when it draws a distinct and clear line as to where we would like to progress to in terms of living together; and Atheism represents freedom of choice, but doesn't stipulate anything at all about what we are to progress to, but is 'progressive'.

What we call emancipation is always and of necessity simply the free choice of the soul between one set of limitations and another.

• Advertisement

lmaopml wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder at people who believe that Religion boxes in morality when it draws a distinct and clear line as to where we would like to progress to in terms of living together; and Atheism represents freedom of choice, but doesn't stipulate anything at all about what we are to progress to, but is 'progressive'.

What we call emancipation is always and of necessity simply the free choice of the soul between one set of limitations and another.

I don't understand? religion isn't just a set of good manners, thats just common decency. If religion is anything it has to be more than a set of rules and stipulations. Thats why I linked to the book. It says something about the methods religions use to keep an idea alive and questions what atheism has to offer instead. Whether their is or isn't a God or gods is a moot point if we cant effectively tell each other about how to live together. Religion hasn't always had the right idea of how to do this but it has been effective at sustaining it ideas. Maybe we can learn from it and progress. Atheist and theist alike.

This is nonsense. You can demonstrate the mechanism that causes the sun to rise and fall and logical deduce that the sun will rise tomorrow. You cant demonstrate any mechanism that causes atheism to inevitable end in atrocities.

Saying "there is no god" is an invitation to throw away natural Law.
    It is reasonable to assume a society that rejects morality and preaches that absolute moral standards do not exist we result in deaths. also if you have no ideals for which to live by why bother building anything?
    http://books.google.ie/books?id=gj114JLCEwQC&pg=PA184&lpg=PA184&dq=posterity+in+secularism&source=bl&ots=18ydEY7jqh&sig=OALyBCD-cbpk1PtisplktZFGVM4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=e4giT8mRCIy3hAf4veDjBA&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=posterity%20in%20secularism&f=false

Posterity lost: progress, ideology, and the decline of the American family
    By Richard T. Gill
    Chapter 9 Page 184
    But where then would all the values come from...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Not if they get on top first, and never ever confuse state law and security of the state, with morality.
    It's not hard to technically avoid breaking state law (to avoid the consequences) and still be extremely so called 'immoral' by other peoples weak, self imposed, restrictive standards.
    As Margaret Thatcher said "There is no society"
    Ask any Anglo Irish Bank Bondholder as he sips cocktails on his Caymen Island's Beach
    'Morality' is a bar to personal 'success', it always has been.
    Survival of the fittest works.
    That's evolution and natural selection.

Leaving your strawman / ad homiem attempt aside for now ;
    Do you really think I am totally unique, rather than just being totally honest ?
    Moral normality ? There is none. What is considered totally moral by one person is totally imoral for another.
    All is fair in love and war.
    The strong survive.
    Winner takes all.

agree that morality is a barrier to personal success , selfishness and a willingless to sacrafice personal integrity is often required in order to achieve great success

Inductive is it ? Well lets forget about the sun as that is patently untrue
    Let's not! Can you logically deduce the sun will come up tomorrow?

http://www.ssr.org/Induction.shtml
    The Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
    "the process of inferring a general law or principle from observation of particular instances"
    and ...
    deduction thus is “inference by reasoning from generals to particulars,” or “the process of deducing from something known or assumed…”

and come to Newton - ''there is a distance between a truth that is glimpsed and a truth that is demonstrated''. However Newton may have glimpsed his laws he sets out the proofs in clear demonstrable terms.

some of this mathematical proofs. Mathematics is a deductive process.

Care to do the same for your theory ? If not it is just your opinion.

I have already supplied the historical evidence of "particular instances" of atheistic regimes and inferred that in general they were atrocious

. Whether their is or isn't a God or gods is a moot point if we cant effectively tell each other about how to live together.
    Don't you find your salvation by "faith and good works" argument is a bit ironic?

irishh_bob wrote: »
    agree that morality is a barrier to personal success , selfishness and a willingless to sacrafice personal integrity is often required in order to achieve great success

Achieve it for whom? For the individual making the sacrifice? How is self interest justified as the main principle of societal progress? Clearly history shows that selflessness is what made all the great societies. With the exception of the few who held almost all the wealth and power how were all the others being selfish?

Originally Posted by ISAW;
    Achieve it for whom?

Try reading the post you're questioning.

Originally Posted by irishh_bob;
    agree that morality is a barrier to personal success
    How is self interest justified as the main principle of societal progress?
    Let me google that for you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlightened_self-interest
    Clearly history shows that selflessness is what made all the great societies. With the exception of the few who held almost all the wealth and power how were all the others being selfish?
    What? Other people in the society or other societies less wealthy and powerful ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Achieve it for whom? For the individual making the sacrifice? How is self interest justified as the main principle of societal progress? Clearly history shows that selflessness is what made all the great societies. With the exception of the few who held almost all the wealth and power how were all the others being selfish?

being selfless all the time doesnt make you happy , you need to be selfish somtimes in order to achieve your personal goals

Let's not! Can you logically deduce the sun will come up tomorrow?

http://www.ssr.org/Induction.shtml
    The Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
    "the process of inferring a general law or principle from observation of particular instances"
    and ...
    deduction thus is “inference by reasoning from generals to particulars,” or “the process of deducing from something known or assumed…”

some of this mathematical proofs. Mathematics is a deductive process.

I have already supplied the historical evidence of "particular instances" of atheistic regimes and inferred that in general they were atrocious

Concerning the sun - of course we can prove it - the question is why bother- you are the one introducing these outlandish analogies .

As for your your Oxford dictionary quotes quotes- lets read them again shall we -

inferring general law from the particulars, - you have not done so, you have created a set of particulars which no-one else agrees with, either here or on academia and inferred a general law from those flawed premises.

and from the particular to the general- you have just skipped over the known and just stuck with your own version of what can be assumed.

A start would be showing that atheism =equals atheistic regime/totalitarian regime, otherwise your argument is a house of cards.

• Advertisement

Saying "there is no god" is an invitation to throw away natural Law.
    It is reasonable to assume a society that rejects morality and preaches that absolute moral standards do not exist we result in deaths. also if you have no ideals for which to live by why bother building anything?
    http://books.google.ie/books?id=gj114JLCEwQC&pg=PA184&lpg=PA184&dq=posterity+in+secularism&source=bl&ots=18ydEY7jqh&sig=OALyBCD-cbpk1PtisplktZFGVM4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=e4giT8mRCIy3hAf4veDjBA&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=posterity%20in%20secularism&f=false

Posterity lost: progress, ideology, and the decline of the American family
    By Richard T. Gill
    Chapter 9 Page 184

Is there no end your unfounded speculations ? That quote proves nothing- just posits a series of open ended questions that could just as equally apply to the different brands of belief- i.e- if you eat pork you are lost, if have false idols you are lost, good works will save you, good works won't save you unless you are already choosen , etc etc.

It is just the same tub-thumping methodology used down through the centuries by religions against each other and now re-tooled and focussed on whatever is the new bogeyman..

And it is the same prophet of doomism that railed against Martin Luther, The Counter-reformation, Islam, whatever down through history.

The question is how are those ''moral'' standards arrived at- you believe they must be handed down , others believe they can be created by ourselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement