Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on driving in an emergency

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Zambia wrote: »
    Part time firemen? As in like on their personnel cars? That is just stupid.

Please refrain from stating that my comment is stupid without any explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

yourpics wrote: »
    I also think that part-time firemen should have sirens aswell as the blue light on the windscreen.

No as these are reserved for official emergency vehicle.

Not all emergency workers - full or part time - are appliance drivers. You are asking to drive their own cars as emergency vehicles without qualification or training. Hardly and social domestic use as per insurance.

Part time or volunteer emergency workers are to be praised but there's no point in putting their lives at risk to and from the fire station.

BrianD wrote: »
    No as these are reserved for official emergency vehicle.

Not all emergency workers - full or part time - are appliance drivers. You are asking to drive their own cars as emergency vehicles without qualification or training. Hardly and social domestic use as per insurance.

Part time or volunteer emergency workers are to be praised but there's no point in putting their lives at risk to and from the fire station.

Just a suggestion, if anything I thought the presence of a siren would aid them getting to the fire station safely, I wasn't impling that they drive any faster etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 emzyo1990

Com1186 wrote: »
    not going to happen... if it does then that part time fireman will have to have proper driver training and his car insurance will shoot up.

then why should nt off-duty gardai have lights and sirens in the car if they have to get to an emergency?

or coast and cliff , mountain rescue and search members?

ambulance drivers , nurses and doctors

civil defence

your going down a slippery slope my eager friend!

i think if you want to drive a vehicle with lights and sirens
    become an ambulance driver , fireman or garda
    take it from me... the buzz of lights and sirens quickly wears off!:)

(I also think that part-time firemen should have sirens aswell as the blue light on the windscreen.)
    If i met a part-time fireman with blues on and driving anyway excessive the would be prosecuted..... blues are for offical vehicles and they dont give you power to drive fast or bully people off the road!

I agree with not giving off duty personnel lights and sirens for personal vehicles this would cause absolute chaos in towns. Also can I just say 'ambulance drivers' are from 50 years ago, If you call any EMT/Paramedic today an 'ambulance driver' they will not be best pleased please give us the respect we deserve as medical professionls.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Com1186

apologies.... didnt mean to offend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

part-time fire-firefighter???:mad: :confused:

the correct term your looking for is "Retained" fire-fighter. We are on call 24/7/365.

wreckless wrote: »
    part-time fire-firefighter???:mad: :confused:

the correct term your looking for is "Retained" fire-fighter. We are on call 24/7/365.

No offence was intended by the use of the term "part-time".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

yourpics wrote: »
    Please refrain from stating that my comment is stupid without any explanation.
    Sorry about that, the reasons why have been raised since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

You couldnt give every tom, dick & harry a light & siren for their personal use. Not only would we never get any sleep, but the public may become used to them and not give them much attention.

To answer the question of why use lights & not sirens, it is often not entirely necessary to use sirens especially in resenditial areas at night time (imagine if you lived beside a hospital or ambulance/fire station!). Also from my expierence in vol ambos, the driver will often turn off the siren when not needed so that s/he can communicate more easily with the person treating in the back or hear the radio better. Not sure if this is the case in HSE ambos though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

flazio wrote: »
    You're welcome but I must raise a question from that video. It says that in single white line roads emergency vehicles will silence their siren and will not pass you unless you are fully stopped. Is this true of Irish emergency services?

The UK don't have an exemption for crossing single white lines, it's allowed in Ireland but, there is still no exemption from dangerous driving. If an urgent response is necessary, and the driver deems it safe and appropriate to do so, then here they are allowed to cross the single white line. In the UK if they do so they are breaking the law, simple as.

One reason that audio warning aren't used all they time is the added urgency will sometime panic other drivers, inducing them into doing something dangerous. For example, if you were on a narrow twisty road with horns blaring and come up behind a car, they might end up pulling in on a blind corner, forcing you to overtake dangerously. The prudent thing to do there is to hang back, horns off, and wait for a safe section of road.

Generally the sirens are to be turned on in advance of having to do something outside the normal rules of the road, in order to help manage to the traffic. If the emergency driver waits until he is on your tailgate before activating horns then something has gone wrong; they didn't follow their training, you failed to react, or you reacted to their presence in an unhelpful manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Firstly, Good job those of you in the emergency services.
    Secondly, Spilling over from Learning to Drive. What are your opinions of how learner drivers react to the lights and sirens. By this I mean the real learners, who are clearly in the early stages of learning as opposed to cars with L plates.
    Thirdly, Do you think the testers should immediatly interupt a test to help the learner out of your way quicker, during their driving test.
    Forthly, Purely as an anicdoted. My uncle used to work for the ambulance service in Belfast. He (rightly I believe) drove straight over a large roundabout with a lovely floral display celebrating Belfasts centenary, to avoid very heavy traffic. Recieved an official slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭donkey balls

bluetop wrote: »
    If you remember not long ago Prime Time done an article on taxi drivers double jobbing it, one Bus Driver from P/Boro was driving a bus by day and by night was driving a taxi, he was working something like 20 hrs a day. Hence he no longer drives Buses any longer, he was sacked, just pure luck he did not kill anyone, there are lots of them doing it, only a matter of time before someone is killed in and around the city.):

That guy did not get fired from Dub bus :eek: I was talking to some people who work in that depot Dub bus did some investigation and he was reinstated,As for people not looking in their mirrors and surroundings me thinks it boils down to poor spacial awareness of the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Fire lanes. Get some. Problems solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

Whats gets in your way?? Nothing.

What do you meet . . . . .Hazards.

They are many and varied. You negotiate them. According to the system :)

Advertisement