Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

• 07-02-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Well after consultation with mi compañero eZe we have decided to make a FC Barcelona superthread and see how it goes. Not too sure if it will catch on or not but going by the la liga weekly match threads and the odd Barca game threads there seems to be enough interest to merit at least attempting a thread.

Feel free to add all the team news and comments you wish. Just a note that this is not a general la liga discussion thread as there is already an existing one which can be located here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055276253 .

To get things going Barcelona are having a quite remarkable season thus far with some scintillating performances. They are into the last 16 of the champions league and hold a 2-0 lead over Mallorca after the Copa del Rey semi-final 1st leg on thursday night. As we all know they are flying high in la liga sitting twelve clear at the top from arch rivals Real Madrid which is no mean feat. The club have broken both goal scoring and points records after the half-way point of the season.

Leo Messi has been nothing short of a revelation this season boasting 25 goals in 28 appearances with 11 assists thus far. The sale of Ronaldinho has really led to Messi moving to the fore and becoming the superstar we all hoped he would be. Not to forget the others with admirable mentions also to going Samuel Eto'o with 22 goals in 26 appearances and Dani Alves who has slotted in behind Messi on the right as if he has been there his whole career. Sergio Busquets is also definitely going to be one to watch out for in the future.

The only real negatives thus far have probably been the lack of progress of young Bojan Krkić who has put in some real hit and miss performances this season although he has been showing signs of improvement over recent games. Hopefully he can show some improvement over the latter parts of the season as he is a very promising young talent.

Anyway that’s enough from me and over to you lot to really get this thing going. I will leave you with this.

Barca Anthem
    Tot el camp .
    és un clam som la gent blau-grana .
    tant se val d´on venim, si del sud o del nord,
    ara estem d´acord,
    estem d´acord una bandera ens agermana:
    blau-grana al vent,
    un crit valent,
    tenim un nom,
    el sap tothom:
    Barça! Barça! Baaarça!

Jugadors .
    Seguidors .
    tots units fem força: .
    són molts anys plens d´afanys, .
    són molts gols que hem cridat, .
    i s´ha demostrat, s´ha demostrat, .
    que mai ningú no ens podrà tórcer: .
    Blau-grana al vent, .
    un crit valent, .
    tenim un nom, .
    el sap tothom: .
    Barça! Barça! Baaarça

...And now the English translation...

A clamor rises
    from the pitch
    We’re the blue and claret people
    Makes no difference where we hail from
    Whether it’s from the south or the north
    Now we all agree
    we all agree,
    One flag unites us in brotherhood
    Blue and claret flowing in the wind
    One valiant cry
    We’ve got a name
    that everyone knows:
    Barça! Barça! Baaarça!

Players,
    Supporters
    United we are strong
    So much glory through the years
    Oh, the many goals we’ve cheered
    And it has been proven, it has been proven
    That no one can break us
    Blue and claret flowing in the wind,
    One valiant cry
    We’ve got a name
    that everyone knows:
    Barça! Barça! Baaarça

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Pigman III

Hang on mate, you live in Madrid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Pigman III wrote: »

No comment. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pigman III wrote: »

wow thats a great first post :rolleyes:

does it really matter where he lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Headshot wrote: »
    wow thats a great first post :rolleyes:

does it really matter where he lives

In before the 'support your local team' brigade

OT - Xavi = God

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Laporta praises the cantera;
    “Both of them [Pique and Busquets] have been doing very well and their presence in the national team brings a lot of merit to Barca, the players themselves and to the coach,” he was quoted as saying by Marca.

“All their hardwork is paying off and this is proof that the Barca cantera have a lot of talent and the system works,” he beamed.

Liverpool were linked with one of their youngsters (Gerard Deulofeu ) yesterday, only 14! Chelsea and Arsenal were linked with him last season too.

Guardolia today:
    "We have lost a little brilliance, a little edge, but it does not worry me," he told Marca.

"We have got to this stage well, and even at the end we will play good and bad games. We are in good form, we will continue with the same attitude we have had up until now, and I am convinced that, if we keep going like this, we will win something.

"At times you are not so brilliant, and that can be costly, but in general, we are maintaining a good level."

Do you agree with him or maybe he's just keeping them on their toes?

• Advertisement

Mgoraf wrote: »

I agree with him. Anyone who watches Barca week in week out could tell you they look like they are performing at a slightly lower level since after Xmas compared to before the winter break. Pep is a tell it like it is type of guy kind of like Keane so I wouldnt expect much bull out of him. He will tell them they are playing worse if he believes it to be so whereas a lot of other coach's wouldnt say so in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Xavi6 wrote: »
    In before the 'support your local team' brigade

OT - Xavi = God

Redout. Great idea. Look forward to this. I know myself and Xavi6 support the same teams but "Redout", it's not a Manchester reference is it????

Seriously, great first post and good luck with this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

That's a great opening thread post Redout, much better than anything I would have created. You sure you're not a cule at heart??? ;):D It's nice to see a Barca superthread, whether it will have more than two regular posters remains to be seen, but at least it'll have that new thread smell for a few days. :D

Yes, the thing that worries me is the fact we have been leaking too many goals since the xmas break. One a game roughly, but at the same time, there was virtually no way we were going to maintain the level of performance that was achieved before xmas.

Plus, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi, the best midgets in world football? :D:D

Visca El Barca y visca Catalunya! ;)

Keita hasn't started that many games since the break has he? I think he's their best holding player, maybe hm not in the team is the reason for conceding more goals...

I actually think he is our worst holding player! He is much more of a powerhouse CMF who is most effective in attack. Like Essien (albeit not nearly as good), Yaya and Busquets are the only two midfielders we have who are naturally suited to doing defensive dog work in midfield.

• Advertisement

Yeah Keita is more box to box but I think he plays there better than Yaya or Busquets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Pigman III

redout wrote: »
    No comment. :eek:
    I'm only asking mate, I just see it as the same as if someone supported Liverpool while living in Manchester. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Good idea guys. Needs saying though:

This thread is for team talk, Gossip and Rumours pertaining to Barcelona. This thread is open for all users to post in. There are no preferences for fans of any team.

Please note the following Rules:

1. NO MATCH DISCUSSIONS
    - Match threads will be created for matches/match weeks where required.
    - Match discussion will be deleted.

2. Transfers.
    - When a major transfer occurs, please post in the specific thread
    - We will merge/split discussion on requests
    - We will delete transfer discussion that continues here while a tangent thread is in progress.

3. Users who repeatedly ignore these guidelines will receive warnings/bans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

This thread is for team talk, Gossip and Rumours pertaining to Barcelona. This thread is open for all users to post in. There are no preferences for fans of any team.

1. NO MATCH DISCUSSIONS

2. Transfers.
    - We will delete transfer discussion that continues here while a tangent thread is in progress.

is it really necessary to have separate match threads for Barcelona mathces?
    i mean the matches that are not on sky won't get that much posts and it would be nice to keep them here,
    its not going to get out of hand like manu/liverpool ones.

is it not a bit extreme to ban them from here, at least give it a chance dude.

its not going to get out of hand like manu/liverpool ones.

is it not a bit extreme to ban them from here, at least give it a chance dude.

The same rule applies to all superthreads, and is included in the charter.

How rare is it that Barca are playing a game on their own in domestic football? Most weeks the regular La Liga thread covers all of the league fixtures, and works well. CL games will get sufficient traffic to justify a thread of their own as well.

It's not a major hindrance tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

1. NO MATCH DISCUSSIONS

2. Transfers.

Out of interest, why? There are few enough La Liga fans on this board. Much like the LOI threads this can be just a one stop shop for Barca fans.

Props to redout for the thread.

EDIT: Question answered above while i was typing. Not sure I agree, but whatever.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Keita hasn't started that many games since the break has he? I think he's their best holding player, maybe hm not in the team is the reason for conceding more goals...
    Yeah Keita is more box to box but I think he plays there better than Yaya or Busquets.

I think they should sell him back to Sevilla :D

he doesnt suit a 433 more a 442 player with wingers so he can do the dirty work and if caught out breaking forward the other CM is there to cover him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As it would seem that we can't talk about matches or transfers, the thread may as well be closed. Anyone want to start a specific match thread for Barcelona v Sporting Gijon? Anyone?

On Keita/Toure/busquets, I think Busquets is the best prospect for the...disciplined...English sides. Don't know why, but Toure doesn't give me confidence in the tougher games.

dfx- wrote: »
    As it would seem that we can't talk about matches or transfers, the thread may as well be closed. Anyone want to start a specific match thread for Barcelona v Sporting Gijon? Anyone?

Read the post again:
    - We will delete transfer discussion that continues here while a tangent thread is in progress

There's no prohibition on discussing transfers, but if for example Man City were to bid £150m for Xavi, and a thread existed discussing that very move, you would be expected to post there rather than on this thread.

As for your 2nd point, this could suffice.

Golden Shoe standings 2008-09
    Current standings (League goals only)
    (Including games played on February 2, 2009)

Pos
    Name
    Club
    Gls
    Mult
    Pts

Janko
    Salzburg

Eto'o
    Barcelona

Ibisevic---Hoffenheim

Villa
    Valencia

Messi
    Barcelona

Two Barcelona players riding high in the race for the European Golden shoe 2008/2009. Cristiano Ronaldo was last seasons winner edging Dani Güiza finishing with 31 goals and 62 pts. We have the potential to have a non-striker winning the award for the second season running which is a feat never before seen.

• Advertisement

Barca are in a spat with TV3 catalunya over the broadcasting of the teams games with Barca claiming the are still owed €29 Milion for last season and are trying to get the transmission signal blocked so that TV3 can no longer show the games. This is not the only problem Barca have with the tv broadcasters as only last month a judge ruled that they had to pay Sogecable (owners of Digital+) about €50 Million for non-payment which they were entitled to over the past several years. Laporta brushed it off at the time saying the fee would not effect the clubs books as they were still owed €60 Million from Telefonica which would cover the costs. Now I am no accountant bet surely it would effect the books if you had to pay out €50 Million which you otherwise thought you would not have !

Just goes to show the amount of money Barca make from tv each season is far higher than the English sides. Barca have their own individual tv deals in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Which is why the rest of the Spanish league is so poor, and why other sides can't seem to break Madrid's and Barca's dominance.

Regards to Barca's scoring record. Eto'o last year from Jan 08 to Dec 08 scored 44 goals in 46 (i think) games for club and country. The more goals and a better ratio than any other player in world football for the same period. Pretty awesome stat if you ask me.

Barcelona target leading Arsenal trio

Van Persie tops list that includes Fábregas and Adebayor

Duncan Castles guardian.co.uk, Saturday 7 February 2009 23.52 GMT Article history

Barcelona have placed the core of Arsenal's team on a list of planned *summer reinforcements, with Robin van Persie a priority target. The Spanish league leaders had an offer of cash plus Alexander Hleb rejected last month but believe they can persuade Arsenal to sell in the close season when he enters the final 12 months of his current contract.

In addition to recruiting Van Persie as a left-sided attacker, Barcelona are working on approaches for Emmanuel Adebayor and Cesc Fábregas. While they do not consider it possible to capture all three in a single transfer window, Barça regard Arsenal as "a selling club" and expect the London club to release at least one of their star names to raise funds for reconstruction of their own squad.

Van Persie is considered the most attainable because of his contract situation. The 25-year-old has less than 18 months left on his present deal and is stalling on an extension that would make him one of Arsenal's best paid players. Van Persie is understood to be concerned about Arsenal's failure to compete for *silverware in recent times.

Barcelona attempted to exploit the uncertainty last month with a cheeky offer to return Hleb in part exchange. Still angered by the manner in which the Belarus midfielder engineered his exit from the club last July, Arsenal refused to countenance Hleb's return.

Adebayor is coach Pep Guardiola's choice as a replacement for Samuel Eto'o, who has also entered the final 18 months of his current contract. While other *members of the Camp Nou hierarchy would prefer a move for Valencia's David Villa or Karim Benzema of Lyon, *Guardiola's stock is high after an impressive start to his reign as coach.

Fábregas remains a long-term target for the club who lost him to Arsenal as a teenager. Though Barça are confident that Fábregas would return, the strength of the club's midfield this season has made his recruitment a less pressing issue.

Arsenal, meanwhile, are preparing an overhaul of their own with signs emerging that the club will invest heavily in one or more established players in an attempt to make their first team more competitive. The club is also aware of the threat to expensive corporate ticket sales posed by their recent difficulties in domestic competition – a concern that partially explains the atypically fevered purchase of Andrei Arshavin last week.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/07/barcelona-arsenal-transfers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

PHB wrote: »
    Which is why the rest of the Spanish league is so poor, and why other sides can't seem to break Madrid's and Barca's dominance.
    Lol at the rest of the Spanish league is so poor comment. The tv deals have been like that for a while now, and Benitez did it twice in 3 seasons with Valencia not so long ago

and for all the money Atletico Madrid spend they can barely qualify for the CL

PHB wrote: »

The other teams in the Spanish league are better than their equivalents in the EPL despite having less resources. They still get the developing South Americans and the Spanish youth players are of a higher skill level. You talk about Barca's dominance, yet over the past 7 years there has been a different Copa Del Rey winner, none of whom were Barca or Madrid.

Over the past 10 years Spanish teams like Betis, Sevilla, Atletico, Osasuna, Deportivo, Celta Vigo, Mallorca, Zaragoza, and Valencia have finished in the top 4. On any night I can see a weak La Liga team thorougly outplaying one of the big teams, that doesn't happen in England, if a weaker team beat a big 4 team it's usually by playing anti-football. The only real anti-football teams in La Liga are Deportivo, Getafe (this season), and Recreativo.

Whereas this season is the only one where the weaker teams are doing well in the PL, and subsequently it means the mid-table teams are being put under pressure to get results, so they resort to anti-football iswell.

kinaldo wrote: »
    Lol at the rest of the Spanish league is so poor comment. The tv deals have been like that for a while now, and Benitez did it twice in 3 seasons with Valencia not so long ago

and for all the money Altetico Madrid spend they can barely qualify for the CL

Agreed my Madridista friend. Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,058 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Great idea Redout. I'm really surprised that there aren't more Spanish football fans in Ireland considering you can travel to games in Spain for less than England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't know why there isn't more speculation about Van Persie - every club in the world should want him imo.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't know why there isn't more speculation about Van Persie - every club in the world should want him imo.

Injury woes, if he wasn't so injury prone, I couldn't think of a better player to replace Henry at Barca. The perfect mixture of striker/ winger for left side of the Ajax 4-3-3 formation that Barca use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I didn't mean poor in terms of quality, I meant poor. A Madrid are the exception. The money the crap teams in the EPL can throw about is massive compared to the amount that La Liga teams can spend.

----

Van Persie would be wanted by every club in the world if he could show he can stay fit. Fantastic striker.

Advertisement