Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA propose to make racist abuse a sackable offence for next season

• 28-05-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea on whether John Terry will fall foul of these new proposals with his impending court case?

If found guilty (and its a big if) I think Chelsea would look very foolish to stand by him.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0525/1224316664527.html

Racist abuse will become a sackable offence for professional footballers next season, as part of significant changes being made to every English Premier League and Football League player’s contract.

Gordon Taylor, the chief executive of the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA), is behind the proposal that he hopes will send out a powerful message on the back of a season when racism on the pitch made an unwelcome return to English football.

Taylor said he believes the change in the standard players’ contract will highlight how seriously the PFA views racism, and remove any ambiguity about the possible consequences for anyone found guilty of the offence. Racist abuse will now be deemed as gross misconduct and, although the decision of whether to terminate a contract will ultimately rest with the player’s employers, Taylor pointed out that any club failing to act “could be held responsible for condoning [racism]”.

The PFA will present the proposal to the Professional Football Negotiating and Consultative Committee (PFNCC) and Taylor is confident that it will be approved. “We’re just about to bring it to the PFNCC, the body by which we bring the issues to the Premier League and Football League, and I don’t see a problem,” he said.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So a player unhappy at his present club could just racially abuse someone to get released from his contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Nothing will happen to Terry. It says the decision is that of the employers. If Terry is found guilty Chelsea won't sack him unless they have no other option. He'll likely just be fined by the club, maybe suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

We all know nothing will happen to Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

In some cases a club will sack a player, e.g. a youth player found guility of it, in our case, I cant see the club sacking their captain or any club, I dont think they'll sack one of their star players.

Bans and fines should be extreme and police investigations should be followed up with court proceedings if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Nothing will happen to Terry. It says the decision is that of the employers. If Terry is found guilty Chelsea won't sack him unless they have no other option. He'll likely just be fined by the club, maybe suspended.

Will make a mockery of the introduction of the new proposals if they weren't sack him and would set a precedence for any other cases that may follow. Why should other clubs sack a player when the precedence has been set?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It means the clubs CAN sack the player, it doesn't mean they WILL.

For example, Liverpool probably wouldn't have sacked Suarez, because they didn't believe him to be guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I wonder how many players evra will get sacked next season, considering it seems to be one players word against another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

gerryo777 wrote: »
    I wonder how many players evra will get sacked next season, considering it seems to be one players word against another.

Yawn.

Des wrote: »
    It means the clubs CAN sack the player, it doesn't mean they WILL.

For example, Liverpool probably wouldn't have sacked Suarez, because they didn't believe him to be guilty.

This, no club will sack their big stars, and surely every club will back their player, pending the outcome of any investigation.

for fúck sake

• Advertisement

gavredking wrote: »
    This, no club will sack their big stars, and surely every club will back their player, pending the outcome of any investigation.

I'd agree with this, BUT if John Terry is found guilty in a proper court, not some "balance of probability" FA trial, then Chelsea would look pretty bad, imo, if they didn't at least sanction the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I wonder when the day will come that gerryo777 actually adds any sort of intelligent input to a thread.

Des wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, BUT if John Terry is found guilty in a proper court, not some "balance of probability" FA trial, then Chelsea would look pretty bad, imo, if they didn't at least sanction the player.

I agree with ya, there should be no grey area with racism, if your found guility it should be a set fine/ban imposed by the club and sanctioned by the FA.

If JT's found guility he'll probably end up appearing on Chelsea TV on some coaching day with under privileaged kids from ethnic backgrounds or soemthing to that degree to make it seem all rosey.

JT's case is in essence a bigger case then the one earlier in the season but why it wasnt dealt with at the time was a joke IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Fergie is drawing up a list for him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I agree with ya, there should be no grey area with racism, if your found guility it should be a set fine/ban imposed by the club and sanctioned by the FA.

If JT's found guility he'll probably end up appearing on Chelsea TV on some coaching day with under privileaged kids from ethnic backgrounds or soemthing to that degree to make it seem all rosey.

JT's case is in essence a bigger case then the one earlier in the season but why it wasnt dealt with at the time was a joke IMO.

Nothing could be done during the police investigation AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Heh!!! A new slant on the fergie whispering into scholes ear and pointing at someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Some of ye lads are so bitter :D

Warms the soul :pac:

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Some of ye lads are so bitter :D

Warms the soul :pac:
    Mind games?
    brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Mind games?
    brilliant.

no. Just funny to hear the same ol tripe recycled ad nauseum.

ASOT wrote: »
    Nothing could be done during the police investigation AFAIK

True, but when the police came investigation was concluded didnt they say there was sufficient evidence that warranted a trial?

Then the trial was postponed until after the Euro's by the FA?

Could be wrong though.

• Advertisement

Nothing will happen to Terry as he cannot be sanctioned under a rule that didn't exist when his alleged offence occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is this the PFA or FA saying this?

Maybe they will put a fair and transparent system in place to investigate such occurances too, not to mention a transparant FA hearing system.

What's the appeals percentage win again? < 5-10%?

The English FA talk out both sides of their mouth most of the time tbh, bunch of jokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

True, but when the police came investigation was concluded didnt they say there was sufficient evidence that warranted a trial?

Then the trial was postponed until after the Euro's by the FA?

Could be wrong though.

No the trial was postponed until the summer by the court after a request from Terry's lawyers. The lawyers claimed it was so that all the witnesses would be available - being out of season - but Terry was obviously just trying to ensure he could play in the Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Its a very tricky area to legislate on. Do they include a definition of racist abuse? Would both parties in the following conversation be considered guilty of racist abuse under these proposals or is it too early to tell?

Player 1: You black prick.
    Player 2: You white prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They'd be a bit silly if they did. Just handing a multimillion pound asset to another club for free. Selling him would surley be a better option.

Advertisement