Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inheriting money - not sure what to do

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

wexford12 wrote: »
    A lot depends on how much money is involved has he been left 5k or 50 k will the 3k make a huge dint in the balance

In total now she owes maybe 3K. With the money I have coming in, I could easily pay these off for her, but I'm reluctant to do that.

If a relationship gets to a stage where one of the parties involved starts getting all daddylike (or mammylike) it's time to end it. A relationship should be between equals and not with one teaching the other lessons of any kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

If a relationship gets to a stage where one of the parties involved starts getting all daddylike (or mammylike) it's time to end it. A relationship should be between equals and not with one teaching the other lessons of any kind.

This is what it is really about, OP. I would ignore any sideline arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Exactly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

wexford12 wrote: »
    Lots of people spend this kind of money on a lap top that they are using now reading this.
    If "lots of people" are blowing 500 Euro on a laptop rather than purchase a second-hand desktop for half the price, I'm not surprised Ireland is so broke. Negative equity anyone?
    I agree to a great extent, however if you are with someone who you believe has a problem, what should you do?

For example, if you feel your other half has a drinking problem, are you going to buy them a drink or are you going to instead try to get them to deal with their issue? Or just leave them rather than "getting all daddylike"?

Additionally, I'm not really sure how the OP is "getting all daddylike". He's not suggesting he takes control of her finances, he's only suggesting that he does not give her a chunk of his money that he fears could cause more harm than good.

From what I can see the only way that he would be "getting all daddylike" is if she is entitled to this money from him and given some of the comments here, it appears that some here do think that.

The OP has fears, which is why he has raised this topic. Either these fears are well founded or they're not. I've taken him at his word, but one could argue otherwise. Problem no one here, who is proposing he should pay, has actually done that. Instead his fears (the entire purpose for this personal issue) have been ignored in favour of indignant responses of what he should be doing.

Nonetheless, whether she does have a problem or he is simply paranoid about it, it is an issue; and one which could ultimately destroy the relationship if they cannot meet each other half way on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Money and Relationship doesn't mix.

If you give her the money you may inadvertantly hold it over her head when you have an argument.

On her side she might not feel comfortable taking it from you.

Your choice, but if your not married then I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mods, can you close this thread now please? I've gotten all the replies and perspectives that I need and thanks to all involved. Most of you have given me great food for thought, and some of you have really opened my eyes with your sense of entitlement and definition of "meanness".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement