Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Galvasean wrote: »
    City drop points too. It will be interesting to see if we can knock a few points off that gap between us between now and the end of May.

Anythings possible, the form Arsenal are in, all the remaining games are winnable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

DB10 wrote: »
    Good performance today, brilliant goals. Very poor Villa side.

Still think though the team needs to have 3-4 new signings if they want to challenge for a League title. And also about 6-7 players to leave.

Good run but I still would be wary about the summer transfer window. Hopefully we seal 3rd this year will be a major achievement.

I agree

But let's enjoy this now and worry bout the summer then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Van Persie not scored in 2 games now.

Overall, a very good efficient performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think he might fit in well at the Emirates

Tom Williams ‏ @tomwfootball Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Late goal at Stade de la Mosson - Olivier Giroud fires 89th-minute volley into bottom-left corner from 20 yards to put Montpellier 1-0 up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

City drop points too. It will be interesting to see if we can knock a few points off that gap between us between now and the end of May.
    I wouldn't even bother thinking about it. There's no possible way that either Manchester team will drop twelve points in the remaining games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Reekwind wrote: »
    I wouldn't even bother thinking about it. There's no possible way that either Manchester team will drop twelve points in the remaining games
    I dont think he was suggesting we could catch them, just finish a little closer to them. That, plus a few signings in the summer, would sent a clear message of intent for next season.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Ideally Podolski will sign, can anyone tell me where his prefered position would be. Is he a goalscorer, what are his weaknesses?

Where else should we be looking to strengthen? In my opinion, ideally we would bring in 4 experienced players. While shipping out alot of the older loaned players, and others such as Almunia, possibly Chamakh. Other certain squad players.

Sign Benayoun for a small fee possibly. Podolski.

Then 3 others hopefully of experience. Its asking alot I know, but if we want to reach the level of the Manchester clubs, more experience is needed.

I think we need to sign another WF/ST depending on where Podolski plays. Hopefully a big name.

Then maybe a Vertonghen type who can play DM or CB comfortably. After that I would like an experienced combative CM player with pace, possibly a Flamini type player. Would be good for squad depth.

Its all fantasy talk at this point, but this summer is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

not sure Benayoun will sign if regular football is available somewhere else, He's lost years of his career being a sub at Liverpool, Chelsea and here. I'd like him to stay as a member of the squad though. He is a very good player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

Very rosy picture of Benayoun being painted; the last start he got he was demolished against Swansea.

fair enough, but he is great quality backup especially as a sub. I'd prefer him over Denilson anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

DB10 wrote: »
    Ideally Podolski will sign, can anyone tell me where his prefered position would be. Is he a goalscorer, what are his weaknesses?

Stick him on the left wing with free reign to push up front and have him or RVP drop back a little bit. Let's be honest, with our attacking game it's not like there'd be gaps left.

As for Benayoun, he does a job and does it pretty well, I just don't see him being needed barring an injury crisis bigger than this year's.
    If we play 3 in midfield there's Song, Rosicky, Ramsey, Wilshere and Arteta ahead of him straightaway with Oxlade-Chamberlain to slot in at the top if needed. I still wouldn't mind holding onto him if he's happy being a squad player; if we end up having to play him, Rosicky and Arteta in midfield that's a trio who can put it about very well. Stick Walcott up front with RVP and Oxlade-Chamberlain into a loose 4 in midfield and that's a team that should best all but maybe half a dozen teams every time.

As much as I may be Wenger's biggest defender on here along with the whole "we'll be fine" thing I have to caution against being too excited about next season. Song isn't good enough as a DM and we need 2 other £20million+ attackers on top of that to really challenge for the title. I don't want us finishing less than 10 points short of second this season because it would be putting us a bit above where we really are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Van Persie hasn't scored in two games?

He's fcukin sh1t, never rated him

:p

LOL 7 games undefeated....... UP YOU HOLE HARRY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

cson wrote: »
    Very rosy picture of Benayoun being painted; the last start he got he was demolished against Swansea.

He started and played 88 minutes against Spurs in the 5-2 home win
    He started and played 74 minutes against Liverpool in the 2-1 away win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I like Benayoun. Solid and puts in everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I like Benayoun. Solid and puts in everything.

Yep. He got us out of a hole against Villa away as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Papers saying we can catch City now.

Shush! dont put the mockers on us! :eek:

Papers saying we can catch City now.

Shush! dont put the mockers on us! :eek:

Well by that reasoning if United lose tomorrow we're in with a shot at the title. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Missed the game yesterday but sounded like we played a stormer from what ive heard great see us going onthis run heres hoping we can keep it going the rest the season.

Random stat I saw you can have him City :)

Theo Walcott and Alex Song have both got as many assists in the Premier League this season (8) as Nasri managed in his 3 seasons at Arsenal.

From Spurs's remaining 8 games, they play:

2 teams in the top half. (8th and 10th place).
    6 teams in the bottom half. 3 of which are in the relegation fight.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I like Benayoun too but I think we'll have enough wide options next season without him.

Yeah just copped their handy run in a few minutes ago. Hopefully nerves will still get the better of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah just copped their handy run in a few minutes ago. Hopefully nerves will still get the better of them.

Their run-in counts for **** all when they haven't win in 5. I'll talk about their chances again when they win next.

L'prof wrote: »
    Their run-in counts for **** all when they haven't win in 5. I'll talk about their chances again when they win next.

Yeah but 3 of those 5 matches were against us, United and Chelsea.

Yeah but 3 of those 5 matches were against us, United and Chelsea.

The only game they played decent in was against Chelsea, it's been a terrible and demoralising run for them.

The only game they played decent in was against Chelsea, it's been a terrible and demoralising run for them.

And they're due a good run. Let's not get retarded here, I'm sure they remember what they were doing at the start of the season.

One game at a time for me please. Away against QPR, a win would do great. Would be a massive shot to the momentum if we don't win going into the City game.

And they're due a good run. Let's not get retarded here, I'm sure they remember what they were doing at the start of the season.

Like I said, I'll reserve judgment until they get that win. We can talk about them going on a good run then, any earlier would be "retarded".

Like I said, I'll reserve judgment until they get that win. We can talk about them going on a good run then, any earlier would be "retarded".

This implies that you can only see them not winning again?

This implies that you can only see them not winning again?

Haha, that's a terrible assumption to make. I'm just not going to talk about Spurs going on a good run when they haven't won in 5, even if it looks like they're about to turn the corner.

• Advertisement

Haha, that's a terrible assumption to make. I'm just not going to talk about Spurs going on a good run when they haven't won in 5, even if it looks like they're about to turn the corner.

I can only assume you support Brighton? :rolleyes:

I can only assume you support Brighton? :rolleyes:

You're new here, chat to you later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Spurs problem is that out of the last five they played four very organised defences,the other match was us.

They'll win practically every match between here and the end IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I think they'll turn the corner too, in saying that though not winning in five I reckon has knocked the wind out of their sails somewhat and they will not be consistently closing out games like they were.

Fancy a few draws coming their way

while I am loathe to talk about the spuds in this thread, I think one point has to be made, Since the Arsenal game, Redknapp has made spurs much more conservative leading to them finding it hard to break teams down.

It's more than a case of bad luck, Spurs are playing "with the handbrake on" Harry has **** himself when the going has got tough (as he has throughout his career apart from the FA cup win) you just have to watch how they were in the first half against chelsea yesterday. no adventure whatsoever and it's costing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I wonder if the constant 'Harry for England' talk might be unsettling some of teh players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Yeah, that and the pressure of the trial. Plus, in fairness, injuries haven't helped. The big question about Spurs at the start of the season was whether they had the squad to go the distance. Appears not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

All this Spurs talk in here is making me feel a lil bit queasy:p.

Next up QPr with them fighting relegation you know were in for a battle, but on positive from Cisse shocking tackle is he wont be available. We should still see them off.

Zamora seems to always do good against Arsenal so he will worry me.

Taiwo can handle one of our wingers for sure but Luke Young may be their weakness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

Taiwo can handle one of our wingers for sure but Luke Young may be their weakness.

Chamberlain would demolish Luke Young if he stood off him the same way he did to McClean at the weekend.

cson wrote: »
    Chamberlain would demolish Luke Young if he stood off him the same way he did to McClean at the weekend.

Aye, would love him to play. I think any of our wingers would demolish him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Zamora seems to always do good against Arsenal so he will worry me.

I hate the sight of that plonk.
    I think Bobby Zamora only overs scores against us.
    However, with our full back 5 in place I wouldnt be too worried.
    Any update on Kos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Great weekend, unless we capitulate then CL is as good as in the bag. If we can draw against Chelsea & if Chelsea win all their other remaining games, then we would only need 14 points from the last 24 to guarantee 4th. Can't see us dropping more than 10 points now or Chelsea winning all their other fixtures.

I love watching Arteta play, what a cracking goal too.
    3rd position is looking a good bet now.

In Arsene we trust......

I hate the sight of that plonk.
    I think Bobby Zamora only overs scores against us.
    However, with our full back 5 in place I wouldnt be too worried.
    Any update on Kos?

Aye, we won't have Squillaci to play against him next week :D

Koscielny had tendonitis in his knee that morning. How serious it is, is still unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah he said "Bring it on Arsene..."
    I think Arsene all ready brought it on you cockney gangster.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Still don't get the hate for song, a beast in midfield
    He has one year left on his contract and we should do everything we can to sign him up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Still don't get the hate for song, a beast in midfield
    He has one year left on his contract and we should do everything we can to sign him up

He's a good midfielder, just below world class level. He can be too lacks a daisy at times, nearly cost us a win at Goodison last week with a horrendous pass and its not the first time he's done that this season. Id rather Arteta in the team than Song personally. Athough I do hope he signs a contract extension with us too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Mickeroo wrote: »

That has always been a rather pathetic thing about Tottenham, they should spend more time worrying about themselves instead of Arsenal. I mean FFS, they released a dvd of their win over a second string Arsenal side in the league cup!!!

They would see finishing 19th as a resounding success and major acheivement so long as Arsenal were 20th.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement