Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

1344345346347348350»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

That is hilarious. Don't think it would go down too well with the Liverpool players though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think the stat was 6 of the starters against Sunderland in August had something like 34 Liverpool league appearances between them.

Its nearly April now though and I don't see much improvement or more cohesion.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

opr wrote: »
    Good post, this is long but excellent article on the ideas of pressure.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/03/stupid-football/

Thinking correctly under pressure seems completely different for different players. Some seem to relish and thrive under it but for others like Downing at some point the brain seems to shut down all cognitive thought at a certain pressure point.

Opr

Only 2 words needed, Headless Chickens.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mixednuts wrote: »
    :D

fcmagdeburgberlinerak4.jpg

fcmagdeburgberlinerak1.jpg

Haha that's brilliant.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Kess73 wrote: »
    Have noticed that expression and variations of it popping up a lot in recent season on one fansite or another and by supporters of many clubs.

To me it is a handy little phrase that gives underperforming players sopme kind of excuse for their non performances.

The days of "integrating" players into a club are pretty much gone when it comes to new signings, especially big money signings.

Most big money signings at most clubs go straight into the first team. So pretty much every club "transplants" their signings rather than "integrating" them. So on the basis of that excuse logic, pretty much every signing that is put straight into a first team should struggle as they did not get time to be eased into the club and team.

The one pattern that is there under Kenny, Hodgson, Rafa, and Ged (just to use our most recent crop of managers) is that the British/Irish players who were either big name or big money have had a pretty big fail rate at the club. A few came good, but more have not done well and got moved on quickly than succeeded. The club just does not have a good record over the past decade and a half with buying British/Irish players, especially when one looks at the money the club pumps into getting such players..

I think it's a bit much to expect so many first-team changes to have no effect on the performances, is all. For the money spent, I can understand why the first team should be improving, but throwing them all in together is not going to work.

I have more of a problem with how the the new players were being used all at once than with the signing of the players themselves. I'm not using that as an all-purpose excuse for poor performances from these players - obviously I expect them to work hard and keep their heads up regardless which they've all failed to do at various points, and Downing has been especially guilty in that regard - but there were better ways to use and integrate these players than we've seen, and the season overall could have been better if their deployment as a group was more gradual.
    ^^THIS X 1000^^

Downing was always going straight into the first team.

Henderson should have been introduced to the first team over a longer period , cause his confidence will/has (imo) got a bit of a battering as the crowd hasnt exactly been cheering his name .

Adam on the other hand should never have been a starter . If selling Raul or letting Aqua go was because Adam was seen as a sufficient replacement then i am sorry that was madness.

Enrique was going to be a starter and the only one who has taken up their position like a duck to water .

So you agree that any player we sign should go straight into the first team, but that Henderson should have been integrated slowly? I can only assume you're saying we shouldn't have signed him at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

fcmagdeburgberlinerak4.jpg

fcmagdeburgberlinerak1.jpg

Operation Anfield Exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Operation Anfield Exercise.

LOL .

Ahh it all makes sense now !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Kess73 wrote: »
    Have noticed that expression and variations of it popping up a lot in recent season on one fansite or another and by supporters of many clubs.

To me it is a handy little phrase that gives underperforming players sopme kind of excuse for their non performances.

The days of "integrating" players into a club are pretty much gone when it comes to new signings, especially big money signings.

Most big money signings at most clubs go straight into the first team. So pretty much every club "transplants" their signings rather than "integrating" them. So on the basis of that excuse logic, pretty much every signing that is put straight into a first team should struggle as they did not get time to be eased into the club and team.

The one pattern that is there under Kenny, Hodgson, Rafa, and Ged (just to use our most recent crop of managers) is that the British/Irish players who were either big name or big money have had a pretty big fail rate at the club. A few came good, but more have not done well and got moved on quickly than succeeded. The club just does not have a good record over the past decade and a half with buying British/Irish players, especially when one looks at the money the club pumps into getting such players..

Spot on, seems like alot of buzz words being thrown about to explain lacklustre performances of the new signings.

Its really pretty simple. When you spend so much on players indiividually you better be sure that they are going to improve your First XI.

Otherwise scrutiny and criticism is going to be inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Very interesting article that.

One thing that I dont understand about Kenny is that if he's worked in a team with players who were both game intelligent and proper players, why is he signing players who are not game intelligent.

He goes on about how maxi is a very intelligent player but then never plays him?

Yeah agreed I think it's a really interesting subject. I don't think it's uniquely a football thing. In all walks of life people have different attributes, intelligence and pressure points in certain situations whether that is in work life, chatting up a girl or a whole host of different situations.

The thing with it in a footballing sense is that I think it's down to manager to be able to break down those different things and apply it to each player. Kenny seems to be of the opinion that every player should be able to go out and influence a game as they see best. That brings its own pressure which maybe some players struggle with. The manager should also be finding the position a player will best influence the game.

If I was to take some of our players for instance. Gerrard is immense under pressure a player who thrives in situations like Istanbul. He has a game inteliigence but it's one which thinks only about how we can score goals. Never thinking about how tactically what he does influences us defensively or as an overall team. That isn't a bad thing but as Benitez said in a very recent interview " You need to manage Gerrard". So you take those responsibilities away from him as a player by playing him further forward. Do this and you can basically just tell Gerrard go and play son.

Lucas as a CM you can just tell him to go and play son. That kid tells pressure to go **** itself. Getting booed by his own fans, slated right and left and he kept plugging. The other side of that's I think that Rafa would have given him more of a defined role to help him come out on the other side that as a player now he can be just told go play. In regards position I don't believe for one minute I could play him behind the striker like Gerrard and he would have nearly the same kind of impact as Stevie. I think Lucas would understand the role but he would lack Gerrard's immense physical/technical attributes.

Downing is different in that he seems to wilt under pressure. He needs more instruction. I don't think he has a particularly bad footballing intellgence ala Babel but the pressure just seems to make him melt. You need to find ways to ease that pressure on him. A more defined role. Someone who can help him use his footballing ability. I don't think Downing is a bad player just not a guy who can be told go and express himself. Maybe with a little more confidence and less pressure over time he can be given more freedom.

Intelligent players certainly should come near top of the list Kenny should be buying based on. The other thing that stands out most along with it for me in regards Kenny philosophy is a players ability to cope under pressure. Playing for Liverpool but especially with the kind of freedom Kenny allows players it's a key attribute needed. Thing is it's a hard one to measure.

Opr

Well fück me ....
    Liverpool midfielder Joe Cole, currently out on loan to Lille, has impressed so much in the French Ligue 1 during his time there this season that he has caught the eye of mega-rich club of the capital, Paris St-Germain.

The Qatar-owned club are, according to reports in France today, prepared to offer the Reds £5million for Cole, who was signed on a free transfer from Chelsea at the beginning of the 2010/11 season by former Liverpool coach Roy Hodgson.

PSG are now managed by former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti, but they could face competition for his signature from Lille, where Cole is thought to feel settled.

Cole is thought to be on wages of around £120,000 a week and, despite impressing this season in France, not expected to return to Merseyside and be part of Kenny Dalglish‘s plans this summer.

Cole’s contract with Liverpool runs out in 2014.

£15mil and it's a deal :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Well fück me ....

£15mil and it's a deal :)

PSG: Gameiro for Cole plus moolah
    Lille: Hazard for Cole plus money

Your move frenchies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Very interesting article that.

One thing that I dont understand about Kenny is that if he's worked in a team with players who were both game intelligent and proper players, why is he signing players who are not game intelligent.

He goes on about how maxi is a very intelligent player but then never plays him?

If Dalglish is working towards a long term target than he may feel that playing players who won't be here next season and by and large aren't in our plans, even if it would improve our results now, is a waste of time and, in the long term, giving game time to our unfortunately thick new recruits is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I would bite their hand off for £5m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I think just getting Cole and Aquilani off the wage bill at the moment will be a big plus and will free up places for quality replacements, I hope. Even if we get 5 million for Cole if would make the loss on Aquilani's fee easier.

Sappy404 wrote: »

So you agree that any player we sign should go straight into the first team, but that Henderson should have been integrated slowly? I can only assume you're saying we shouldn't have signed him at all?

No .
    But I dont think I'm alone when I say I'm surprised at how much he has started games . I had him down at the start of the season to be coming off the bench rather than starting .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Gbear wrote: »
    If Dalglish is working towards a long term target than he may feel that playing players who won't be here next season and by and large aren't in our plans, even if it would improve our results now, is a waste of time and, in the long term, giving game time to our unfortunately thick new recruits is better.

Thats a fair, but frustrating point. I mean I'd be happy for someone like Shelvey or Sterling to get some game time in Maxi's place but it appears he prefers Carroll and Adam to run around, fall over and/or bounce off people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/jose-enrique-on-lfc-progress

Jose Enrique believes Liverpool have made great strides this season - and claims our current league position does not reflect the potential within the squad.

The Reds have excelled in knockout competitions this term, with the Carling Cup already in the cabinet and an FA Cup semi-final just over two weeks away.

Enrique thinks this is proof of the progress being made at Anfield.

"In the cups we are doing well but in the league I think we deserve more than where we are now but the truth is we are in seventh position," he told Liverpoolfc.tv. "We have played good football in many games but against Wigan (on Saturday) we didn't deserve to win.

"This team is in production. The owners have signed young players. I think we have a really good squad already but of course we have to improve - everyone.

"The manager takes pressure for us and of course that is good. But the truth is, when we make mistakes or have a bad game, we know where the mistakes come from. Who plays the games? The players. Who has to win them? The players too.

"The players are frustrated just the same (as the fans)."

Enrique claims his desire to improve results is partly attributable to the debt he feels he owes Kenny Dalglish.

"I am really grateful to him," said the 26-year-old. "Of course I want to do my best for the team and for Liverpool first, but also for the manager because he signed me.

"The truth is Liverpool went many years without winning something and already we have one cup and we are playing for another one."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why would Ancelotti who got rid of Cole at Chelsea suddenly want him at PSG?

I think just getting Cole and Aquilani off the wage bill at the moment will be a big plus and will free up places for quality replacements, I hope. Even if we get 5 million for Cole if would make the loss on Aquilani's fee easier.

Accounts wise €6 Million or whatever the fee is with Aquilani shouldn't leave much to write down on him, he's "here" 3 years come the Summer, plus there would have been a contribution towards his wages from Juventus and Milan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement