Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Agreed - Capello wont help Chelsea transform into a team playing an exciting brand of football as per RA's wishes.

Now if they mentioned Guus I might take it more seriously.
    gavredking wrote: »
    How many rolleyes can I give this, lets start :
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thats all i'm allowee use........anyway.......

If AVB is sacked after 2 games and then replaced by Capello of all people I will be very shocked.

Cant see it happening in my wildest nightmares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd still stick with AVB over any manager around. he'll bring us where we want to go and the guy is only 35. If we can keep him for half the time Fergie's being at Utd and win trophies I'd be delighted, in reality a Chelsea manager is only a few bad results from being out on his ear, hopefully AVB bucks the trend but part of me thinks thats wishful thinking. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Looks like 4th may not be enough!

Villas-Boas, 34, said: 'Finishing fourth will not be honourable for a club of Chelsea’s size. Given their success, the owner has made it known. He is used to the club finishing first or being runners-up.

'The reality is that in the last few years there has been a pattern of managers shifting at this club. I’m not saying they paid with their jobs. It was because Roman decided that they should. End of story.

'When we set up at the start of the season, we believed that the team was ready for four trophies. At the moment, we have a Champions League objective because the Premier League objective is not

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2098964/Roman-Abramovichs-tells-Andre-Villas-Boas-fourth-enough.html#ixzz1lvwJypKA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I would like to see Hiddink to be honest, AVB is not proven,
    all rumour with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    I would like to see Hiddink to be honest, AVB is not proven,
    all rumour with him.

Nah, Hiddink had has chance to take over before we hired Carlo and then before we hired AVB he was apparently approached for it.

Hiddink had his chance and other projects stopped him from taking on Chelsea.

I dont think AVB has much to prove TBH. Winning a treble in your career that early, playing good football is an unbelievable achievment for AVB.

He'll come good if he is given the chance.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Mata is some genuis!
    ind over Mata! The World Cup winner studying for two degrees, loves backpacking and taking snaps of London
    By MATT BARLOW
    Last updated at 11:02 PM on 9th February 2012
    Comments (19)

Juan Mata might be a marketing man’s dream were it not for the fact he has an eye on the marketing man’s job.
    Mata has a strange fondness for marketing, he has an uncle in the business and is studying for two degrees at a university in Madrid as he plays for Chelsea.
    This is not your typical £23.5million footballer with flashes of class in his armoury like the delicious volley he scored against Manchester United on Sunday.

Mind over Mata: Chelsea's Juan Mata is studying for two degrees and has embraced London life since arriving in the capital from Valencia

Mind over Mata: Chelsea's Juan Mata is studying for two degrees and has embraced London life since arriving in the capital from Valencia
    His nimble mind seems as beautifully balanced as his body. He swats up on the life of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs and spends his free time back-packing around the Spanish countryside or Greek Islands.
    His English is fluent less than a year after he arrived from Valencia and he has turned his life in London into an educational crusade, posting photographs of his favourite London landmarks on his social media pages he edits himself.

Popular figure: He has certainly settled better than one of his countrymen
    ‘For me, this move was an important change in my life as a person as much as a player,’ says Mata, who is living near Chelsea with team-mate Oriol Romeu. ‘I thought it would be harder. It’s not too cold, not snowing,’ he grins. He is joking because he is dressed for the cold snap in his shorts and flip-flops.
    ‘It was an opportunity to know another city, another country, another culture and another language. I’m trying to know every part of London, to improve my English and enjoy the football. On my days off, I go to different parts of the city.
    ‘If you want to be anonymous you can go to Soho or Camden and it’s not a problem. There are a lot of Spanish people. If you go to Piccadilly or Oxford Circus you hear lots of Spanish voices but I’m not recognised much.
    ‘I like Hyde Park and Regent’s Park where you can take good pictures and I have found good tapas in the King’s Road, if you like the ham.’
    Mata likes the ham. He is baffled as much by the idea that Jobs chose to eat ‘only fruit and vegetables’ as he is by the fact he wore no shoes. Mata is 23 and he has always had an independent spirit.
    ‘As a child, we would all go to a tiny village near Burgos and we’d have typical Spanish parties in the summer,’ he says. ‘There would be a band and grandparents dancing all night dressed up as American Indians and things like that.

An education: Valencia and Spain's Under 21s gave Mata the perfect grounding

Like father, like son: Mata has followed in his father's - Juan Snr - footsteps in becoming a professional footballer
    ‘I travel all year with football but it’s not the same. I have two friends with me at the moment, and in the summer, I travel with them, to different parts of Spain or Europe. We put backpacks on and go somewhere. The other week, we went to a couple of Greeks islands.
    ‘As a teenager, me and some friends won a radio competition to travel to Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein. I’d love to go to Asia, to Thailand and Japan. I like the beach too. I will need a week on the beach in the summer.’
    Mata and his sister Paula were born in Burgos, the ancient capital of Castile in northern Spain, where their father played professional football. They were raised in Oviedo after Juan Snr’s career took him further north to Asturias.
    ‘He was an old-fashioned left winger,’ says Mata. ‘Not so much like me but like Vicente who played for Valencia, for example, or Ryan Giggs. He was fast, always dribbling, dribbling, dribbling. Too much dribbling.
    ‘I’ve only seen him play on the videos. We had videos at home and when I was a child I would watch them with him. When I was young, maybe five years old, I’d go training with him at Burgos. They were in the second division and I was just a kid but it was exciting to be in the dressing room with the players. This, I think, is the reason I’m a football player now, because of my father’s life.’

That goal: Mata scored a contender for goal of the season against Manchester United on Sunday... but it wasn't enough to secure the point
    At 15, young Mata left home for the Real Madrid academy. He calls it the biggest decision of his life, leaving his family in Oviedo to take up residence with teenagers like Jose Callejon, Esteban Granero, Alvaro Negredo, Borja Valero, Javi Garcia, Ruben de la Red and Roberto Soldado.
    Few would establish themselves at Real when Los Galacticos of Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo, Luis Figo and David Beckham ruled. Mata moved to Valencia at 19 — a period he describes as his Masters in football — and to London four years later when Chelsea paid £23.5m.
    He is anxious to be part of the capital’s sporting extravaganza later this year, defying convention that footballers will be simply too tired to compete in the Euro 2012 finals and then the Olympic football tournament.
    ‘It would be a long season but I am young,’ says Mata. ‘For me, it would be the perfect summer to play in the Euros and then the Olympics. My desire is to play in both.
    ‘It is something most players can only do once in their lives. Now it is our time. It would be the dream summer to win the Olympics and the Euros.’

City life: Mata says he's treating life in London as something of an education
    For Mata, the World Cup is in the bag, and as part of Spain’s all-conquering squad he firmly believes the theory that success in age-limited competitions like the Olympic Games has accelerated success at the senior level.
    ‘Carlos Marchena told me when I was at Valencia that the Olympic Games and the Olympic Village is something you have to experience; full of young people from different sports, from the NBA and tennis and volleyball and handball players, all together.’
    Marchena played in Sydney in 2000 when Spain, declining the allowance of three over-age players, sent an Under 23 squad. They lost in the final to Cameroon but Barcelona star Xavi looks back on his silver medal as the trigger which propelled his generation towards the top. England might take note.

On the up: Mata continues to grow in stature on the pitch
    ‘This is our best moment as a footballing state,’ says Mata. ‘We are the champions of Europe and the world and now we can win the gold medal at the Olympics.’
    Mata is bright, polite and studious and working towards two degrees — one in marketing and one in sports science — at Madrid’s Universidad Camilo Jose Cela.
    ‘It wasn’t easy to do from Valencia and now I’m in London and I talk to my tutor by email,’ says Mata. ‘I have an uncle who works in marketing in a bank and I’d like to be involved in sports marketing or promotions.’
    First though, an attempt to eradicate inconsistencies which have cast them adrift in the title race. Yet, still, Mata believes Chelsea are in touch and takes comfort in the knowledge that the Barclays Premier League is more competitive than La Liga’s firmly established Barcelona-Real Madrid duopoly.
    ‘There are two teams in Spain with 90 or 100 points,’ says Mata. ‘The other teams have to be third or fourth. Here, maybe five or six teams can be winners. That makes the league more exciting.’
    It also gives Chelsea and others a little hope to cling to. Well said Juan Mata, the marketing man’s dream.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2098984/Chelseas-Juan-Mata-exclusive-Two-degrees-backpacking.html#ixzz1lyBQULA7

Mata's transisation to the EPL is outstanding.

Excellent player and one of the players we have to build around to bring success in the future to this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

does any one else just not like garth crooks?

this is from his team of the week selection on bbc on Juan Mata after his perfomance against utd
    This lad has found it tough to make the transition from the Spanish League to the English Premier League. The one thing he has never lacked, however, is the ability to work hard.
    Against Manchester United, he had that and more. Not only has he made my Team of the Week for his sheer endeavour, but also for the goal of the week. He will never score a better goal as long has he lives

this is from his team of the week selection on bbc on Juan Mata after his perfomance against utd

Seen that and had to laugh.

Mata has created the most chances in the Premier League...

• Advertisement

Crooks mentions that Mata wont score a better goal......well the one against arsenal was better for me. :confused:

I'm hoping that Romans visits have spelt it out to avb and the team - we simply must start winning games again and that must happen at everton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

I'm hoping that Romans visits have spelt it out to avb and the team - we simply must start winning games again and that must happen at everton

I agree, but dont want AVB to be sacked. I will really be annoyed if AVB goes, we need him to see out his contract. The only other manager that would be astep up IMO would be guardiola, and to be honest i dont think he is over rated but could intorduce tiki taki to CFC.

AVB must be given some money for the summer and buy his kind of players, i.e Hulk, Hazard, Di Maria, Falco

I trust in AVB!!!

Yup, the players and coach need to know that Roman is still watching and ants the best for this club, I hope his presence doesnt have a negative effect on the squad though.
    what a day wrote: »
    I agree, but dont want AVB to be sacked. I will really be annoyed if AVB goes, we need him to see out his contract. The only other manager that would be astep up IMO would be guardiola, and to be honest i dont think he is over rated but could intorduce tiki taki to CFC.

AVB must be given some money for the summer and buy his kind of players, i.e Hulk, Hazard, Di Maria, Falco

I trust in AVB!!!

I agree, we need to give AVB the chance to make his mark on the squad and learn what he wants to keep and what he wants to leave go, and only giving him one season is a joke.

We need stability now more so then ever before becuase a united squad will rally behind their manager and hopefully, no matter what the performance is like this weekend, we pick up 3 points.

Looking forward to next season
    @GuillemBalague
    Guillem Balague
    Chelsea: despite reports, Abramovich and AVB planning together next season. Great bond there. Villas Boas will be there nxt season for sure

As much as I'd love to believe Balague he can be very hit or miss with his " information ".

I'd hope its true though, I really do.

As much as I'd love to believe Balague he can be very hit or miss with his " information ".

I'd hope its true though, I really do.

That's a fair enough comment.

General views is that AVB will at least get a 2nd year though.

thebison wrote: »
    That's a fair enough comment.

General views is that AVB will at least get a 2nd year though.

I sincerely hope he does. Hes a young manager with good, fresh ideas and was handed an ageing squad and asked to play a certain way with very little input with regards his own players and what system would best suit the current squad.

I fully believe we'll be pushing for the league all the way next year. we'll be a better squad and AVB will know exactly what he wants and how to achieve it.

I sincerely hope he does. Hes a young manager with good, fresh ideas and was handed an ageing squad and asked to play a certain way with very little input with regards his own players and what system would best suit the current squad.

I fully believe we'll be pushing for the league all the way next year. we'll be a better squad and AVB will know exactly what he wants and how to achieve it.

maybe we dont need to spend so much money and those pesky kids are\were right under our very noses all the time!?

Good article here

http://thechels.net/2012/02/can-they-kick-it-will-we-ever-find-out/

^

Good read alright. Its hard to say if a player is good enough for the 1st team until he gets a run in the team of a few games on the spin.

No doubt in training the players are upto it but matchdays are a totally different story then training with your team mates.

We also need order and stability to promote youth and blood some players in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Hopefully AVB will show us what brought him to the top of the manager list. Still it is hard to take losing a 3 nil lead. He needs to rebuild the back four and find a replacement for Cech for the long term. You cannot leak goals to that degree.
    If he stays for next season it will surprise me, if he goes before next season it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

No Saha tomorrow should help us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Lukker- wrote: »
    No Saha tomorrow should help us.

Thank fuck! Was at Goodison when he scored twice when they beat us a couple of seasons ago. Will be a tough game tomorrow anyway though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Fiskar wrote: »
    Hopefully AVB will show us what brought him to the top of the manager list. Still it is hard to take losing a 3 nil lead. He needs to rebuild the back four and find a replacement for Cech for the long term. You cannot leak goals to that degree.
    If he stays for next season it will surprise me, if he goes before next season it won't.

So Courtois isn't good enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Two cool videos...

Believe it or not, Malouda actually passes a ball to Torres :O

Also, surprised about Torres saying he best moment in his career was the fans at Wolves chanting his name.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

AVB can't have much longer left.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Arsenal come from behind to grab a last minute winner , were in big trouble ,

No heart or fight from us in that game ,

Boswinga simply is not good enough, cole has been very poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Chelsea are quite simply a shambles of a team at the present minute....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement