Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powers & Irish Times Short Story Comp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭kieslowski

Ah shoot, I didn't get illustrated... Would have been nice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

brog wrote: »
    The 10 illustrated stories are:
    The Good Life by Tadhg O'Regan
    The Cross Word by Helena Nolan
    Plus One by Caroline McCall
    Lines Written on a Seat by Joseph Frayne (also cover image)
    Heels by Declan McCormack
    Harry Ordinary by Conor Williams
    Apres Match by Cristina Galvin
    Winter Birds by Kieran Byrne
    Through a Pane of Glass by Anne Farrell
    Together by Ariel di Veroli Silvera

The illustrations are quite nice. In fact the whole production is lovely and well worth buying. I'm a little disappointed they got my name wrong though - not only did they change my gender, they turned me into my father!

Josephine, Ciara or Ariella?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 brog

Ha, that's funny Pickarooney. I'm not one of those ten unfortunately. Hope they got their names right at least. It would have been lovely to get the aul story illustrated alright. The book is really nice and hopefully will make some money for the Hospice Foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Is the full list of who made it into the book available anywhere, other than in the book itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kilrush claire

Good stuff, congratulations to everyone who was selected, I know how difficult it is to get that far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Has anyone heard anything more about the launch?

I bought the book in Easons at the weekend (well, my mother did). It looks nice and was interesting to see which stories from the longlist were chosen.

D-FENS wrote: »
    Is the full list of who made it into the book available anywhere, other than in the book itself?

Oh, go on D-FENS. It's only a tenner and its in a good cause. :)

Oh, go on D-FENS. It's only a tenner and its in a good cause. :)

No, they didn't put me in so they can feck off..til next year :D

Only joking, I did actually walk up to the Easons in Maynooth but, as usual, they did not have it. But I'm suprised that branch has stock of the daily newspapers, they're cr*p. Anyone see it in Liffey Valley? (I try to avoid Capital City :))

Book looks well I must say. Got my invitation in the post so looking forward to a whiskey or two, Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miranda7

The silence here is deafening. Did ye enjoy the launch on Tuesday night? and Who launched the book?

• Advertisement

Sheila O'Flanagan launched it Miranda.

Was a good night, I got blitzed on Powers and Guinness chasers. Everyone was gone home by about 9.30 though which was incredibly early I thought, I would have expected writers to be bohemian hellraisers but it appears they aren't!

There was a lovely tribute to Maeve Binchy and Gordon Snell was there which was nice. We all got our photos taken with Sheila O Flanagan. (She must have been fed up smiling at the camera).

On the minus side, I don't drink whiskey and was surprised to have to pay for a glass of wine as you would expect wine to be a standard at a book launch. I think the reason people left early was because they were staaaarving. There was very little food and you practically had to kidnap a waiter to get any of it. A lot of people were giving out about that.

That's the way it was last year as well but obviously Maeve was there and so was Gordon and Sheila. I really enjoyed it. It was lovely meeting the others as well. I wasn't too concerned about the booze but there could have been a bit more food as far as I remember. But the book is a lovely production. Powers did a great job on it. Glad you enjoyed it and congrats on being there this year. I tried again but no luck.

I drank your share of the whiskey Bella, thanks! Burp...

The book is a very nice production alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MOONlit

Wondering whether there will be another competition this year, same wad of money as prize, jointly with IT or not, one winner or otherwise,themed or open, if themed - whether best to follow theme or totally ignore it..... or maybe its best just to send in story already penned, in a nothing to lose sort of way.
    (Hmm think that the best - as no wasting of time then on writing something bespoken)
    Any ideas????

No sign of this appearing again sadly. I was convinced that this year there would be no mistake. This year I would win! :)

I'll just have to concentrate on my future prize-winning novella. ;)

I think it was later last year and the year before - around early May. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Miranda

I think it had definitely been advertised this time last year. The results were published in May and there was quite a long lead in to that. Bummer. Was really hoping to have another go this year. Maybe the Irish Times just found it too much hassle last year. There seemed to be a lot of confusion around the judging, announcement of results etc.

Shame, I had the winning story and all. €10,000 down the drain. Will have to satisfy myself with winning the Bridport Prize instead now.

Panic not. I definitely wrote mine after Easter last year because something that happened at Easter was the inspiration. And Easter was much later last year. You might yet be €10,000 before the summer is out.

• Advertisement

The closing date was 17th April last year but I think they were promoting it for quite a while before that. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Guess the science fiction epic I was planning to grace them with this year will have to wait. Your loss, Powers, your loss...

Stil no sign fo this happening this year? :(

Yeah, must be binned unfortunately. I really hope it wasn't because I drank a ridiculous amount of free whiskey at last year's event and created a scene on the DART home.

Just in case any one is interested and totally off the point of the Powers competition for which I was shortlisted in 2011 my first novel has been published by Poolbeg. So far it is getting very good reviews so I am hoping it will take off. You can like it on my facebook page which is https://www.facebook.com/MirandaManningWriter and if you are interested in a thoroughly modern different type of novel you could buy it. It's available in all good bookshops and on Amazon. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Not totally off the point at all. You prove that one thing does lead to another and that it is worth the effort. Even if you don't win, or if you aren't shortlisted you are still writing and that is the most important thing.

The best of luck with Who is Alice? It looks interesting and I look forward to reading it.

Hi. Well it looks as if there's no Powers Comp this year. Did any of you read my book? "Who is Alice?" Oddly the story hinges on an affair a T.D. had with a much younger employee and the consequences of that. Poolbeg have re launched Alan Shatter's book which starts with the same theme. I read if over the week end and found that the stories are entirely different - not least because Ireland has changed so much since his book was first written 23 years ago. I think mine is very modern and edgy and it has got great reviews in the Irish Independent, The Examiner and the Evening Echo. You can see the link to my Facebook page above. Galway Now have done a page on the book in the current edition which I believe will be in the shops today. I'm getting great feedback but mostly it's from friends so I would naturally love a bit more feedback from stangers.
    If any one has read it or is about to read it let me know. Available in all good bookstores and as an e book on Amazon. If you google "Who is Alice?" by Miranda Manning you will find a lot of inf.

Hi. Did anyone submit for this? They are running some stories in the IT by published authors on the above theme - and are looking for one other via an open competition, to add to the list. Eilis ni Dhuibhne's story was fab - but the rest were boring so fa.r Last weeks story (by famous Author but cant recall name) had a great blurb/trailer but the story turned out to be a bore - couldnt finish it!

I really liked last week's story. It was a different twist on the emigration theme, showing what it was like to be the one left behind. But I agree, some of the others were a bit dull and I abandoned them after a few paragraphs.
    I didn't read Eilis Ni Dhuibhne's. What was it about?

I sent in a story to the competition but wrote it in a rush and wasn't happy with it.

• Advertisement

Eilis Ni Dhuibhne's story involved the goings on among characters in 'Dublin Literary club', during these difficult years etc. Yes I also thought the story about the emigration theme with a twist was really clever and the idea of the lads and 'cards' via the laptop was super clever and witty - but all together, it didnt deliver on its promise for me.I kept thinking how it sounded very Kevin Barry to begin with, and how he would have made a better fist of it. (God Im so mean!)
    Anyway - I think its really something that you actually completed a story to that very challenging order.I doubt that too many people interested in attempting to write for it, were able to progress beyond a paragraph or two. Good luck with it - and hope you get to read E Ni Dhuibhne's story, and tell what you think!

Advertisement