Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carnism & Rationalism

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I post something that makes plenty of arguments ...
    I did read it; however, your post starts with a false proposition in the very first sentence. All those arguments you refer to stem from that. What is left for me to engage with? No insult was intended, and everything I said was addressed at what you posted, not at you. But there's just nothing there that I can say any more about, than has already been said by other responses.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

bnt wrote: »
    My first thought was "astroturfing" - the attempt to create a "movement" where there is none. Starting with the hypothesis that eating meat is irrational.

Why is it rational? (not saying I agree with the hypothesis).
    bnt wrote: »
    I mean, of all the forums to post such nonsense, the OP picks one full of people who don't just take what other people write at face value ... :rolleyes:

The OP did ask people to offer their opinions on it, so the one forum that doesn't take articles at face value is probably the best one to discuss it, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Again, I haven't heard another word with the utility this one has, have you? I'm guessing you either deny or don't appreciate it's utility since you don't seem to really appreciate the emphasis/importance of ideology in this conversation. Just think about it a bit more.

I think the utility is undermined by how people are likely to react to it. I understand what the author is trying to convey, but people really hate having their ideologies labelled for them - just look at how many people call themselves catholic despite having religious beliefs that line up more with protestantism (assuming any religious label actually applies at all). The label doesn't change what they believe, and if they were rational in this context then they could just accept it when someone points out that they actually align with a different label than they first thought. But people aren't, so its better, imo, to just concentrate on how they are wrong and were their logical inconsistencies are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Ah no.
    Are atheists becoming vegans and vegetarians?
    I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Zamboni wrote: »
    Ah no.
    I'm out.

Yeah! I thought we were just against lame stuff like churches and boogeymen.

Eating meat though! Next thing you'll tell me it's irrational to have my 10 pints on a Friday night when I'm clearly biologically designed for it!

Zamboni wrote: »
    Ah no.
    I'm out.

There's actually a prayer about that, well sort of, written by Rabbie Burns, but I'd better not post it. :eek:

Advertisement