Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

• 10-11-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

This thread is for team talk, News and Rumours pertaining to the national team. This thread is open for all users to post in. There are no preferences for fans of any country.

Please note the following Rules:

1. NO MATCH DISCUSSIONS
    - Match threads will be created for matches/match weeks where required.
    - In-Match discussion will be deleted.

This is so there's a place to put everything.

I think there was a Republic of Ireland Superthread at one stage, but i can't find it. this will have to do!

I'm going to bang about 6/7 threads in here, so bear with me.

Hi Lads,

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the current Ireland jersey without the 3 logo on the front. Didn't see it on elverys website and a few others also

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not unless you get one from the players unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sadly not and it's just another example of the FAI screwing Irish football fans for a few quid.

There's no other country in Europe that refuses to sell their country's national jersey without it being plastered with an ugly corporate logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Greedy buggers. Ah well, least there's still my Italia 90 jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I have actully seen it on sale without the sponsors logo.

:)

Unfortunatly you had to buy it preprinted with one of the players names.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

irish-stew wrote: »
    I have actully seen it on sale without the sponsors logo.

:)

Unfortunatly you had to buy it preprinted with one of the players names.

:(

Where abouts, I have no shame having McShane No 1 on the back:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Where abouts, I have no shame having McShane No 1 on the back:)

Think it was only a temporary promotion at lifestyle sports, preprinted with Keane. Might have been towards the end of the 'Eircom' days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

This thread comes up every so often. I presume no new sponsor will settle for having no logo on the jersey, seeing all of their predecessors getting away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Such a stupid looking logo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You can get one on various special occasions. The last home jersey was on sale with players names pre-printed when it was first released. A limited number were in the Umbro shop on Westmorland street. You could get the white kit with 50 on the front as well celebrating Keane getting to 50 international goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

You could get the white kit with 50 on the front as well celebrating Keane getting to 50 international goals.

That's gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Just buy a t-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

GrumPy wrote: »
    That's gay.

Sorry I thought I was posting in Ireland where it would be OK to celebrate our top scorer reaching a landmark figure like that.

Also, are you 7 and from 1960? How is acceptable to call something you dislike gay? Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sadly not and it's just another example of the FAI screwing Irish football fans for a few quid.

There's no other country in Europe that refuses to sell their country's national jersey without it being plastered with an ugly corporate logo.

If people stop buying the shirt, they'll stop putting the logo on the shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

OP head over to ybig.ie and contact jonnycee. If anyone can sort you out, it's him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Never had a problem with OPEL,it suited the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Just buy a t-shirt.

A green T-Shirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Greedy buggers. Ah well, least there's still my Italia 90 jersey.

wouldnt that have OPEL written on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭centre half

OP head over to ybig.ie and contact jonnycee. If anyone can sort you out, it's him.

OP, any luck from jonnycee? I really want to get one too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Anyone ever had any luck, eh, "removing" the sponsor's logo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pity because its probably one of the nicest Ireland jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Just looking at this from another angle does anybody know why international soccer jerseys don't have the sponsorship logos on them? Club soccer and Rugby (except for the world cup) have the logos on the players shirts. Is there some FIFA thing that says no sponsorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

ALthough unrelated, one thing I have always wondered is why dont Ireland have player names on the back of their jerseys during a game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is it just me that actually likes the jersey with the logo on it then? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have bought a few jerseys before without the sponsor,much nicer imo.
    I havent bought any from ebay but they do often crop up there.

Paully D wrote: »

Think its just you.I have the current home and away without the sponsor and got a number on the chest and back,looks much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

you can buy a retro euro 88 jersey they have no logo, seen a few floating around, have one myself

Paully D wrote: »
    I don't necessarily have a huge issue with it it's just that they're too big! The old Eircom one was god awfully gaudie. The Three one isn't as bad but I don't like walking around like bill board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

You could get the previous home shirt sponsor-less around August 2010 before we played Argentina in the first match at the Aviva. It had the game details plus a #9 front and back. Lovely jersey but they we're looking for €90 [Carrolls, Westmoreland] for it. Sorry I didn't get it now cos that type of jersey is somewhat timeless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

http://www.euro-soccerjerseys.co.uk/ireland-11-12-away-soccer-jerseys-p-4669.html

Customs have been going after the fakes coming in from Asia recently. So it might not get through.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    http://www.euro-soccerjerseys.co.uk/ireland-11-12-away-soccer-jerseys-p-4669.html

Customs have been going after the fakes coming in from Asia recently. So it might not get through.

That's d first time I have seen the Irish jerseys on them sites.I have bought a jerseys from Asia and they have been sound.If we get to the euros I could see plenty of the sites selling the Irish jersey ,when there is a higher demand for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I wonder if you put a bulk order in with the sites that do the identical fakes would they be able to do it without the sponsor? could get them sent to the north in a box and then dish them out down south(a group of us from boards doing somethin similar see the online shop thread in soccer forum) would be great if it worked out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I was in the FAI shop last night and the only jersey that didnt have the sponsor on was a special edition one to celebrate Robbie getting to 50 goals.

It had Macedonia -v- Ireland embroidered under the crest and had the number 50 on the front with 10 on the back. Didn't check the price, although it was probably 60+

I picked up the white Ireland Euro 1988 replica for 20 blips though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

14522335761500-4187500.jpg
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

They had them in 2009 I think for the last Eircom sponsered one.

Yoy could buy them with no sponser, I think they were in limeted supply, 500 or so. I got one and it will do me for years now.

• Advertisement

POKERKING wrote: »
    I wonder if you put a bulk order in with the sites that do the identical fakes would they be able to do it without the sponsor? could get them sent to the north in a box and then dish them out down south(a group of us from boards doing somethin similar see the online shop thread in soccer forum) would be great if it worked out...

they will do them without the sponsor,you wouldnt need a bulk order.
    I enquired with soccer triads before and they reckoned they would need an order of 500+ to make it worthwhile producing a jersey.It was on the the thread about online jerseys at the time.I think if we sent them enough enquires it might happen.
    the company selling the 3rd shirt might do up the home kit considering it would be a bigger seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

wouldnt that have OPEL written on it?
    No.I had an official Adidas Italia 90 top.Opel-less.

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    No.I had an official Adidas Italia 90 top.Opel-less.
    Opel-less??? A bit like the Irish team then ha ha ha ha...Christ I hope people get the joke.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Opel-less??? A bit like the Irish team then ha ha ha ha...Christ I hope people get the joke.:(

That's terrible.

:D

Zebra3 wrote: »
    That's terrible.

Taxi for Mikey:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭centre half

I don't see the home one there, which is the one I really want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hopefully not tempting fate by asking this with the second leg still to go, but lets face it, it would take a disaster of epic proportions not to qualify at this stage. So what is the squad Trap will bring with him, or what players do you think he should bring?

Presume it's a squad of 23 allowed to go, whereby 3 have to be goalkeepers. I would go with:

Goalkeepers
    Shay Given
    Keiren Westwood
    David Forde

Defenders
    John O'Shea
    Richard Dunne
    Sean St.Ledger
    Stephen Ward
    Stephen Kelly
    Darren O'Dea
    Marc Wilson
    Ciaran Clark

Midfielders
    Damien Duff
    Glen Whelan
    Keith Andrews
    Aiden McGeady
    Seamus Coleman
    Keith Fahey
    James McCarthy
    Stephen Hunt

Forwards
    Robbie Keane
    Kevin Doyle
    Shane Long
    Jon Walters

Tough choice to pick the forwards, guys like Cox and Best would be in contention of course, but with only being allowed to bring 23, I'd imagine that Trap would bring 4 or 5 along with him. We all know Trap has his favourites too, so we may see players like McShane, Kilbane, Keogh and Foley make the squad. I personally would give at least one of Clark and Wilson the nod because of their versatility. Can't see the midfield looking much different from that, Gibson maybe to be included too, no doubt he should have a look at guys like Hoolahan, Pilkington, even guys like Meyler, McCann, Dicker one could argue should be in with a shout, but don't think Trap would bring players with such little international experience along.

Going to be a tough task to pick the squad when the time comes, hopefully we are injury free. Trap surly has to use the friendlies between now and June to look at some fringe players, and Brady said last night that he would fully expect him to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

My Preference(as of today)

1.Shay Given
    2.John O'Shea
    3.Stephen Ward
    4.Richard Dunne
    5.Sean St Ledger
    6.Glenn Whelan
    7.Aiden McGeady
    8.Keith Andrews
    9.Kevin Doyle
    10.Robbie Keane
    11.Damien Duff
    12.Kieran Westwood
    13.Stephen Kelly
    14.Seamus Coleman
    15.Mark Wilson
    16.Joey O'Brien
    17.Keith Fahey
    18.Darren Gibson
    19.James McCarthy
    20.Jonathan Walters
    21.Shane Long
    22.Stephen Hunt
    23.David Forde

Standby
    24.Darren O'Dea
    25.Ciaran Clark
    26.Liam Lawrence
    27.Kevin Kilbane
    27.Simon Cox
    28.Leon Best.

*I recognise that the list is not entirely realistic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Will Mr.Ireland try to wriggle his way into this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

syngindub wrote: »
    Will Mr.Ireland try the wriggle his way into this?

If he does, he should be told to get lost. The man has lost the quality which was pumping through his veins when we were seeking his return in 2009.

I dont want him at the European Championships, and I dont want him to take the place of another player who has contributed to the Irish cause in the last 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Very interesting selection of Joey O'Brien. I can see why, he can play right full, centre half and centre mid.

Personally I would try and get Paddy Kenny involved again.

Kevin Kilbane should be asked along as a non playing member of the squad. His influence on the squad would be an asset and lets go some way to repay the man for his wonderful service to the green shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Here's the list of every player who was selected (either XI or bench for at least 1 game during the qualification campaign so far. I'm limiting my selection to them.

In the interest of simplicity and probably fairness I'd limit selection to players who actually did the work to get us there.

The number in brackets "( )" in the amount of onfield minutes they've put in during the campaign
    ===

GOALKEEPERS
    1. Shay Given (900)
    2. Keiren Westwood (90)
    3. David Forde (0)
    4. Joe Murphy (0)

DEFENDERS
    5. Richard Dunne (810)
    6. Sean St Ledger (720)
    7. John O'Shea (705)
    8. Kevin Kilbane (540)
    9. Stephen Kelly (375)
    10. Darren O'Dea (360)
    11. Stephen Ward (360)
    12. Kevin Foley (90)
    13. Ciaran Clarke (0)
    14. Damien Delaney (0)
    15. Greg Cunningham (0)
    16. Marc Wilson (0)
    17. Paul Mc Shane (0)

MIDFIELDERS
    18. Aidan Mc Geady (940)
    19. Glen Whelan (885)
    20. Keith Andrews (540)
    21. Damien Duff (485)
    22. Paul Green (312)
    23. Liam Lawrence (241)
    24. Darron Gibson (179)
    25. Keith Fahey (176)
    26. Steve Hunt (173)
    27. James Mc Carthy (3)
    28. Seamus Coleman (0)

FORWARDS
    29. Robbie Keane (892)
    30. Kevin Doyle (548)
    31. Shane Long (234)
    32. Simon Cox (208)
    33. Jon Walters (93)
    34. Andrew Keogh (31)
    35. Cilian Sheridan (0)

=====

Personally I'd prefer an 3-7-8-5 squad so I'd start just chopping names off from the bottom. The only exceptions are the case of Paul Green who has put in a large number of minutes but is generally useless, never should have been capped to begin with and seems to thankfully have disappeared off the radar for good anyway. Forde has made the bench three times and Murphy just once so he clearly gets the choice as third goalie. So that leaves you with a final squad of ......

GOALKEEPERS
    1. Shay Given (900)
    2. Keiren Westwood (90)
    3. David Forde (0)

DEFENDERS
    4. Richard Dunne (810)
    5. Sean St Ledger (720)
    6. John O'Shea (705)
    7. Kevin Kilbane (540)
    8. Stephen Kelly (375)
    9. Darren O'Dea (360)
    10. Stephen Ward (360)

MIDFIELDERS
    11. Aidan Mc Geady (940)
    12. Glen Whelan (885)
    13. Keith Andrews (540)
    14. Damien Duff (485)
    15. Liam Lawrence (241)
    16. Darron Gibson (179)
    17. Keith Fahey (176)
    18. Steve Hunt (173)

FORWARDS
    19. Robbie Keane (892)
    20. Kevin Doyle (548)
    21. Shane Long (234)
    22. Simon Cox (208)
    23. Jon Walters (93)

==

Some may question the absense of James McCarthy but frankly I reckon he can just shíte off back to Wigan for all I care. Go watch the matches in the pub with Stephen Ireland for all I care. As for Coleman he might set Goodison alight but he's clearly not convinced Trapp he's the right sort of player for Ireland yet so that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

David Meyler hopefully will get a look in. He has been desperately unlucky with injuries over the last while. He was unfortunate to pick up a terrible injury only a few days after being called into the Ireland for friendlies in May/June 2010. He's been eased back into the Sunderland side of late. I firmly believe had he not picked up the injury, he could've forced his way into Trap's plans for this euro qualification campaign.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Would be crazy to pick Meyler given his limited experience at international level IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Dotrel wrote: »
    Some may question the absense of James McCarthy but frankly I reckon he can just shíte off back to Wigan for all I care. Go watch the matches in the pub with Stephen Ireland for all I care. As for Coleman he might set Goodison alight but he's clearly not convinced Trapp he's the right sort of player for Ireland yet so that's good enough for me.

We have between now and the summer to prepare, of course we should be experimenting with the squad and trying to give guys like McCarthy, Coleman, Wilson, Cunningham, Clare, Brady, Hoolahan games.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement