Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blood donation, supplies very low

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

oh well wrote: »
    Must be only Dublin that takes appointments - never heard of that before

I think it is only the fixed clinics that take appointments and not the mobile ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

I'm planning on heading in on Monday to donate,can I just call in to the place on D'Olier street,dont need to make an appointment or anything like?

My mates a nurse and is always on at me to go and do it so I can finally shut her up!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've given blood a few times in D'Olier Street and never had to make an appointment and was always seen quickly. Staff shortages and more people than expected showing up to donate might have been cause for long waiting times and I don't know what it's like at the moment but I always just walked in.
    If you are pushed for time, like you have a limit of an hour then HAVE to be somewhere you could give them a buzz before you head in to check they haven't just had a coach of 30 people arrive but usually it's grand there.

I want to respond to the appeal (especially since I'm A-) but have a kidney infection and am generally run down at the moment, boo. When I'm feeling better I'll load up on iron and multivitimins and head in.. as somebody said in the thread, a rush of people in Dec/Jan means there'll still be plenty needed again come February when hopefully I'll be able to go and do my bit. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Would love to give blood but heard once that i cant due to the ol "Mary Jane".. is this true??

Forgive the question if it sounds silly but what on earth does'' Mary Jane ''
    refer to ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

delancey42 wrote: »
    Forgive the question if it sounds silly but what on earth does'' Mary Jane ''
    refer to ?:confused:

MariJuana

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I cant give blood because Im on tablets years. My twin brother gives blood all the time so Im good by proxy.

sam34 wrote: »
    MariJuana

Thanks for that - you'll laught at this but in the war movie Full Metal Jacket there is a scene where the drill sergeant warns the recruits about the dangers of '' Mary Jane Rottencrotch '' ( i.e. STD's ). I thought perhaps Mary Janes referred to Syphillis :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Thanks for that - you'll laught at this but in the war movie Full Metal Jacket there is a scene where the drill sergeant warns the recruits about the dangers of '' Mary Jane Rottencrotch '' ( i.e. STD's ). I thought perhaps Mary Janes referred to Syphillis :D:D

i doubt anyone would own up to that here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

eth0_ wrote: »
    I'd love to donate but alas I have tainted blood from living in the UK. I'll just give blood next time i'm in Belfast or the UK.

Doctors on this thread - is it true that the IBTS sometimes buy blood from their counterparts in N. Ireland?
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    I would absolutely love to give blood. But can't because of the living in England thing.

When I lived in the middle of nowhere, they came round every 6 months and I gave like clockwork.

When I moved to Dublin, I went in to Mespil Rd and gave every three months. Even got an award.

Then they started refusing people who lived in the UK since 1980. So now they reject me. Half of this country lived in the UK (and the way the recession is going - a lot more will), so they are doing themselves no favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

http://www.imt.ie/news/2010/01/ibts_agrees_to_plasma_sale.html

Funny this story broke the same day people were getting texts about a "severe shortage"

Im happy to give blood but not when some corporate c**ksucker is making money out of my genorosity. Stick your pencils up your arse, wont be giving blood again until I get a share of the profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

taytothief wrote: »
    http://www.imt.ie/news/2010/01/ibts_agrees_to_plasma_sale.html

Funny this story broke the same day people were getting texts about a "severe shortage"

Im happy to give blood but not when some corporate c**ksucker is making money out of my genorosity. Stick your pencils up your arse, wont be giving blood again until I get a share of the profits.

Did you read the story you linked to? Especially this bit of it I've copied below?
    Following ethical approval and a positive survey of its donors last year, the Service has agreed to ring fence the monies raised from the sale of plasma for various donor care initiatives, such as its haemochromatosis programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Did you read the story you linked to? Especially this bit of it I've copied below?
    Of course he didn't, nor did he apparently read the bit where they stated that getting rid of surplus plasma currently costs them money. Plus it's being put to a useful purpose, laboratory reagents, despite them being produced by an evil baby-eating "corporation" (who else did he expect to make them, I wonder?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I would donate but they won't accept me.

No, I am not a druggie or HIV positive, but I had surgery in Britain after 1 January 1980 (IBTS's choice of date) so I am blacklisted. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I cant give blood for various medical reasons but I have been told that I may need blood when my baby is born, one of you may be the person who saves my life, thanks in advance.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I cant give blood for various medical reasons but I have been told that I may need blood when my baby is born, one of you may be the person who saves my life, thanks in advance.

And if any of you are wondering why you should donate, there's your answer!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Then they started refusing people who lived in the UK since 1980. So now they reject me. Half of this country lived in the UK (and the way the recession is going - a lot more will), so they are doing themselves no favours.

They only omit people who lived in the UK for long enough to have /potentially/ contracted cjd during the times when bse was a problem. Its a risk minimisation thing, rather turn away some donors than give someone a blood borne disease because you cant test for it in those people you took on.

People who go to live there now arent' going to be at the same risk of cjd as those in the eighties/nineties. Though if new diseases occur in the future, no doubt the service will take these into account when defining donor requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Irish blood transfusion service have reported their Stocks are full a day or so ago. As in they have the full week and a half Supply. And they thanked everyone for donating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I rang the IBTS to ask were my 90 days up, because I was told to wait 90 days cos my Hb levels were low. They said I should stop taking iron tablets as it gives an "innacurate reflection of Hb levels". But surely iron is iron?

How do the IBTSB prevent donated blood from coagulating ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can never give blood because I had a blood transfusion 38 years ago - admittedly it was in Nairobi :) though I used to donate before that. We have an O- type in the family though, and there will not be a clinic locally till end February. Its a pity hospitals can't take blood.

• Advertisement

How do the IBTSB prevent donated blood from coagulating ?

They have a small amount of an anticoagulant drug in the bag before your blood goes in, AFAIK.
    Although I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

I went few days ago to donate but they told me i cant because i had a blood transfusion 15 years ago.

The thing is that in my country i am active donor the last 10 years. :)

The nurse told me that this restriction is only in Ireland and UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I had a look on the website and...
    Unfortunately, because of the risk of variant CJD you are unable to give blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Platelets donation appointment next Friday morning. No blood donations possible, due to this

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

If only I could give blood but the BTS think I've AIDS....

I realloy would love to give blood too... :(

Actually I should prob explain that the reason they think I've AIDS is because I was born nd lived in Botswana til i was 10 thus making me ineligible to give blood.

And then I have other health reasons which also make me ineligible. They really don't want my blood....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

Well I am gay and so therefore I must have AIDS and every other possible disease under the sun. But seriously, it has been about 10 years since I last gave blood.....before I was "out". Is it really true that if you are not attracted to the opposite sex, that you may not give blood? Please prove me wrong

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Gay males are excluded because of the risk category they inhabit. It's a matter of statistics and keeping the blood supplies as safe as possible in the easiest manner - excluding high risk donors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

TV wrote: »
    Well I am gay and so therefore I must have AIDS and every other possible disease under the sun. But seriously, it has been about 10 years since I last gave blood.....before I was "out". Is it really true that if you are not attracted to the opposite sex, that you may not give blood? Please prove me wrong
    This is an ongoing and contentious issue which I have campaigned about when a student and still want to see removed. At the time of this ban being introduced - homosexual men and drug users were just about the only two sources of HIV in ireland. Now though I believe homosexual men should be instead risk stratified as having a high risk contact or not - the final decision lies in the statistics showing this is possible.

The IBTS viewpoint is purely that of statistics and risk stratification of safety - it is not anti-homosexual. Its the same as the exclusion of CJD risk donors isn't anti-english

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Donated there on Thursday. It really is something worth doing. The staff in D'Olier street are very good. On number 7 now!

It was practically empty. A number of my friends tried, didn't have high enough iron count, 15.0 for me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

I really want to donate some blood because Im always hearing about the shortage.

Is there a regular clinic in the hospital in Galway?

Advertisement