Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Service with a Snarl

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The NTL thing was a bit odd, the guy who said he wasted 10 days of annual leave waiting for an engineer to come and connect his cable.

What a fool. After the 2nd time i'd have cancelled and rung Sky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Mcfast

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Yeah but why didn't the program elaborate upon these "queries", in the case of Jackie Skelly??? I imagine it was because they signed up to a gym, and 2 months later decided that they didn't want to be members anymore because they were not attending the gym and wanted to cancel their membership. Sorry, if you sign up to a contract, you sign up to the terms and conditions.

People in this country like whinging but ask them to do something constructive like go to the Small Claims Court or even write a letter outlining their complaint and they will look at you like you've ten heads. RTE in my opinion should not be giving a national soapbox to serial whingers. OK, some people on that program did have a genuine grievance, but they also should exhaust the proper channel for resolving these type of issues before being given national airtime and giving the rest of us a headache...

to be fair how do u know they didnt exhaust all other opportunitys?how do you know the gym customers wanted out of a contract?seems like your making up your own story here.i have to wonder if you are so annoyed by the show why didnt u turn it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

id agree the dell one was worse,surprised they didnt spend more time on it.it had the worst of everything-broken product,non existant support,lying bout technician,broke terms of warranty,computer breaks again and they get a replacement and that breaks to!not to mention the privacy invasions of the photos etc.if that was me id be going beserk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SaintHubbins

I contacted UPC to get broadband and cable installed in my house, took the day off work and the engineer never turned up. Called them back and after waiting for 1/2 hr I was put thru to some snotty yoke who said I didn't have an appointment. I rescheduled an appointment (no apology from them I might add) and had to take another day off. When the engineer finally turned up, he said that because it's rented accomodation he couldn't drill a hole in the wall to install the cable as he would need written permission from the landlord, something I could have been told over the phone if they had the brains to ask. Then when he was leaving he reversed over my mother as she was walking up my driveway and didn't even bother to stop to see how she was. When I called upc again, somebody farted into the phone and hung up. I just can't fathom the disrespect this company shows to it's customers! (some events have been dramatized)

I hate UPC more than any other company - bunch of arseholios. I once was trying to disconnect their cable service and the tard who I spoke with asked incredulously what I was going to do for telly like I was the biggest weirdo in the world. I told her I'd read a book. About telly. Agree about Dell as well - there's definitely a language barrier and the last time I called there was a lag too - very frustrating as I was trying to do a system restore and needed some assurance that I was doing it correctly. Vodafone are a bunch of millipops as well. I've had a couple of screw ups when topping up via AIB and the credit didn't go on my account. When I called them each time they say that it's problem in the link between AIB and Vodafone and I'll get the credit when the money is transferred. Meanwhile I'm looking at money that has gone out of my account with nothing to show for it. They always say that they will call you back to keep you updated but never do and the only way I have ever got this issue solved was to lose the rag, call them a bunch of thieves and threaten everything from joe duffy to keith duffy. Everytime I've freaked out they give me credit straight away, so obviously they can fix things immediately but don't. It usually happens then that I get the credit twice when the original top-up finally turns up. Nice!

My advice if you are having a slight bad experience is go nutso straight away. Irish people are far too polite and we need to remember that the customer is always right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Mcfast wrote: »
    to be fair how do u know they didnt exhaust all other opportunitys?how do you know the gym customers wanted out of a contract?seems like your making up your own story here.i have to wonder if you are so annoyed by the show why didnt u turn it off

Well they clearly didn't because if they did there would have been no need to air the said problem on the national airwaves.

If they did exhaust the usual procedure and their complaint wasn't upheld, then I don't agree that they should have been given a platform to whinge about it on RTE.

What I don't know about the Jackie Skelly customers was what their problem or grievance was at all. This cannot be said for the Dell & NTL customers. In the absence of any actual issue raised on the program, I've come to the not unreasonable conclusion that they just wanted to cancel their membership and found that they couldn't do this due to their contractual obligations. Terms & conditions go both ways and at the end of the day, these people have a business to run.

I've a few businesses and the thoughts of ending up on RTE, being completely vilified on the same basis as happened Jackie Skelly, on that program sends a shiver down my spine. They were completely spat on by an ex employee who clearly had a chip on her shoulder with regard to her previous employer. Did we get to hear about a single complaint or issue on the part of a customer??? No, we didn't...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Well they clearly didn't because if they did there would have been no need to air the said problem on the national airwaves.

If they did exhaust the usual procedure and their complaint wasn't upheld, then I don't agree that they should have been given a platform to whinge about it on RTE.

What I don't know about the Jackie Skelly customers was what their problem or grievance was at all. This cannot be said for the Dell & NTL customers. In the absence of any actual issue raised on the program, I've come to the not unreasonable conclusion that they just wanted to cancel their membership and found that they couldn't do this due to their contractual obligations. Terms & conditions go both ways and at the end of the day, these people have a business to run.

I've a few businesses and the thoughts of ending up on RTE, being completely vilified on the same basis as happened Jackie Skelly, on that program sends a shiver down my spine. They were completely spat on by an ex employee who clearly had a chip on her shoulder with regard to her previous employer. Did we get to hear about a single complaint or issue on the part of a customer??? No, we didn't...

So in the absence of info u assume the customer is wrong and an ex employee with a manual is also wrong?great customer service u must give!the skellys customers were both people who wanted to cancel and couldnt get any response from skellys.

as i said i thought the dell person in particular came across well and not bitter like some of them.the presenter said hed contacted dell in sept about that girl and her comp is still broken?if they dont pay attention to prime time i doubt the small claims court would be much better.rte didnt give them a platform,rte were making a show and seeked out people for it.i think what your annoyed at is the prospect of u/your business ending up on prime time,not that people with bad experiences are on it.if u search for any of the buisnesses on boards youll find a huge amount off complaints and crap service,its not just one bitter customer theres tons.theres clearly probs with the service that hopefully theyll look at now there getting caught out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

So in the absence of info u assume the customer is wrong and an ex employee with a manual is also wrong?great customer service u must give!

If the program is going to name and admonish a business on national airwaves, I think the least I would expect is that the case against that business is made clear and the facts are presented to viewers in a transparent and objective manner. This might have happened with the Dell & NTL customers, then they move onto Jackie Skelly and there is no evidence of a customer having a complaint at all against this particular business.
    as i said i thought the dell person in particular came across well and not bitter like some of them.rte didnt give them a platform,rte were making a show and seeked out people for it.i think what your annoyed at is the prospect of u/your business ending up on prime time,not that people with bad experiences are on it.if u search for any of the buisnesses on boards youll find a huge amount off complaints and crap service,its not just one bitter customer theres tons.theres clearly probs with the service that hopefully theyll look at now there getting caught out

I would have no problem with a customer of mine ending up on RTE slating me if I let them down time and time again. I would have a huge problem getting slated on the same basis as Jackie Skelly's business did on that program this week. There was no evidence of any lack of service standards or any actual issue that involved a breach of contract on the part of the business to the customer. If this is how they are going to approach customer based programming, it will not be long before they end up in the High Court and guess who will be paying for it, that's right, the TV licence payer!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

notice how bt, smart, perlico were all involved, but not eircom
    eircom might be more expensive, but it's worth paying the extra for the superior service imo

I assume your being sarcastic. Either that or your an employee of Eircom. I was amazed Eircom was not mentioned and then the sarcastic(realist) part of my personality kicked in. Eircom is or was the National telecoms provider. It would be very bad form for the National Broadcaster to slate the National Telecoms provider. In the same way it would be bad form for them to slate the National Airline.

i do think it was a good show.those awful companys need to be shown up and take some responsibility.in these times of recession companys need to pull up there socks.dont know how eircom/o2/ryanair didnt end up on it.is there any follow up show?

• Advertisement

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Seems UPC/Chorus/NTL haven't improved at all. They phoned me asking if I was interested in Broadband and Telephone. I said I was interested in just broadband. A tech was supposed to be sent out today between 9am and 1pm. A confirmation text was sent to my telephone number yesterday, so all good I presumed.

The tech hadn't shown up by half twelve, so I rang up and asked to check if he was indeed coming. After using their horrendous and patronizing phone system I got through to a guy who said that there was 'no appointment' for today, but there was one scheduled for the 31st, for Broadband and Phone installation....... so evidently no improvement in their 'systems'.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Red Alert wrote: »
    Seems UPC/Chorus/NTL haven't improved at all. They phoned me asking if I was interested in Broadband and Telephone. I said I was interested in just broadband. A tech was supposed to be sent out today between 9am and 1pm. A confirmation text was sent to my telephone number yesterday, so all good I presumed.

The tech hadn't shown up by half twelve, so I rang up and asked to check if he was indeed coming. After using their horrendous and patronizing phone system I got through to a guy who said that there was 'no appointment' for today, but there was one scheduled for the 31st, for Broadband and Phone installation....... so evidently no improvement in their 'systems'.

Thats piss poor, I can understand maybe the first person booking it arse ways and giving you the wrong date but the TXT clearly shows it was logged as the correct date on atleast one of their booking systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Can companies like NTL be fined for negligence ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Probably not seen as I'm not already a broadband customer. I feel sorry for someone who would end up losing an official day's holidays for that kind of messing around.

Advertisement