Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9 year-old Mayoman set for Real Madrid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

doncarlos wrote: »
    I think it's pretty disgusting to be honest.

I don't at all. Once in a lifetime chance that most would die for regardless of age. Good luck to him and his family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

He will end up as a sub at Darlington in the end which is better than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I can't believe people are complaining about this. The kid has a once in a lifetime opportunity here. He's getting to train in one of the top clubs in world football. If he is still playing football now, he obviously enjoys it. If he didnt, he wouldnt be playing enough to get noticed by whoever spotted him.

Speaking for myself, if I was given this chance when I was nine, I'd have bit your hand off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Some of the comments here are laughable.

You would swear he is being sent down the coal mines.

Worst that can happen from now on is that he will be known as "the fella who was on trials with Real Madrid"

How fcukin bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Just think about how pissed off you would be if you found out that your parents turned down an offer from Real Madrid to join their academy. This child is going to get an amazing opportunity to become a professional footballer ffs, he's not being sent to a prison camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The benefits of being in the EU! Free movement of people whether you like it or not.

I dont consider Real Madrid's youth policy to be that successful in that very few youth players make the step up to the first team and stay there. Most just complete their apprenticeship, make an attempt at the first team (if they are lucky!) then either be sold or loaned out until they are a free agent.

I wish the kid and his family the best of luck out in Spain, its not going to be easy for him or the family regardless of his ability. The happiness of the kid and the family will be a massive factor in his development.

The next Ronnie O'Brien!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

Jaysus the smell of begrudgery in here

Maybe I'm way off here but if they're taking a 9 year old over to Madrid, the parents will be looked after. There'll probably be free flights for them back and forth to Ireland if the family is split up, it's really not that far between the countries.

Even if the lad doesn't make it at Madrid his football development will come along in leaps and bounds and he'll probably end up making a living out of it, provided he gets no injuries.

Then again there could be so much competition they could just cut him off and treat them like ****...who knows but you gotta go for it I guess

And if nothing comes of it, then at least he'll be bilingual.

(Though I gotta say it all depends on what the parents do in Ireland, could they transfer over there that easily? I don't know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

parc wrote: »
    Even if the lad doesn't make it at Madrid his football development will come along in leaps and bounds and he'll probably end up making a living out of it, provided he gets no injuries.
    Jesus, do people really actually think this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Good luck to the young lad. Choosing between Real Madrid and Castlebar Celtic isn't a tough choice. Worst case scenario he doesn't make it as a pro, no big deal.

It will be some experience for him and even if he comes home fluent in Spanish, that would be something.

CSF wrote: »
    You can even see at that level the pressure of expectation on the children (although to their credit, my lot have a very good bunch of parents, it has been some of the opposition where I've seen things that have disheartened me) and the effect. The notion that kids who play at a high level of football just have fun without the pressure is silly at best. Kids enjoy football, and most sports, that is a given. You will find though that alot of kids have alot of the fun taken out of it when there is pressure put on them to succeed. And there is nothing putting more pressure on a child than moving him a few hours plane away into a new world, a new language, a new life because the family believe he is going to be the next Ronaldo, or even Arbeloa, or even Steven Caldwell, or even Charlie McDonald.

At that age, kids should be having fun, developing their skills, both technical and emotional without thinking about whether they'll make the grade, or whether they'll get offered a pro contract, or whether they'll let the family down and have to go home. It is completely wrong.

Ah but there's a difference between the Spanish and the UK/Irish system

Spanish kids don't play competitive football until there 13 or 14 I think. They focus on technique and education. That's why they develop technical players who are so good on the ball as opposed to the majority of English/Irish players who focus on size and winning matches at u-10 u-12 etc level and therein lies the reason why England are crap and Spain are not

Anyway there's videos of Xavi and Iniesta at La Masia doing maths in the classroom. I'm sure Madrid have something similar set up. He won't miss out on any shool. Unbelievable opportunity. I'd actually be more concerned for the parents - are their skills transferable to the Spanish economy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Chances are he'll get much better coaching and he'll have a better chance of being recognised playing for one of the biggest academies in the world rather than a small team in the west.

Not saying he'll end up even playing for Valencia or Villa or some lower team but he could become a coach himself or make some kind of living out of it. Great opportunity for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ah but there's a difference between the Spanish and the UK/Irish system

Spanish kids don't play competitive football until there 13 or 14 I think. They focus on technique and education. That's why they develop technical players who are so good on the ball as opposed to the majority of English/Irish players who focus on size and winning matches at u-10 u-12 etc level and therein lies the reason why England are crap and Spain are not

Anyway there's videos of Xavi and Iniesta at La Masia doing maths in the classroom. I'm sure Madrid have something similar set up. He won't miss out on any shool. Unbelievable opportunity. I'd actually be more concerned for the parents - are their skills transferable to the Spanish economy?
    The non-competitive football thing doesn't really help in this case. There is still a serious amount of pressure and the vast majority wont make the grade at any level.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Chances are he'll get much better coaching and he'll have a better chance of being recognised playing for one of the biggest academies in the world rather than a small team in the west.
    The 2 things you said are true. Saying that he'll probably make it as a pro at some level if he avoids injury is so far into fantasy world that it probably built the wardrobe from Narnia though.

The non-competitive football thing doesn't really help in this case. There is still a serious amount of pressure and the vast majority wont make the grade at any level.

The 2 things you said are true. Saying that he'll probably make it as a pro at some level if he avoids injury is so far into fantasy world that it probably built the wardrobe from Narnia though.

How do you know the lad won't rise to the challenge? To keep him hidden from the world, afraid to take up the offer is disgusting imo (ok, disgusting is hyperbole, but I think it's wrong).

You can't deny him such an opportunity, you have to let him prove himself. If he fails, as the guy above said, no big deal at all - just a great experience hopefully. Like I said I'd actually be more worried about the parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

darkman2 wrote: »
    He will end up as a sub at Darlington in the end which is better than most.
    You haven't a notion where he'll end up, nothing is written in stone, begrudgery at it's finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Why are people talking about where a 9 year old ends up?? lmao. He's phucking 9. He will go out there largely oblivious to his surroundings and any pressures to play football, learn a new language and continue is education. It doesn't matter where he ends up. The fact of the matter is is that it's an amazing OPPORTUNITY. That's all it is, nothing more, nothing less. Nobody is touting him as the next ronaldo, the next messi, the next whoever. They can offer him a level of coaching that cannot be matched in Ireland. He enjoys football (otherwise he wouldn't be playing it, or be this good) and can further develop as a footballer there.

It's not disgusting, it's not child labour, it's not any of those things. It's a kid with an opportunity to get the best chances to develop as a footballer regardless of whether or not he wants to pursue it as a career in the future.

CSF is just pissed off because he's a mayo gah trainer and is loosing this kid to a foreign game

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Let me see...potentially a successful footballer in Spain either with Madrid or elsewhere earning millions of bucks.

Or a life at home in Ballyhaunins where unemployment is high and barring that eventually maybe emigration to england to work on the buidlings or something like that?

Easy choice imo.

His parents deserve a slap on the back for being far sighted.

Yes maybe it won't work out, but spending a year or two in Madrid, nothing wrong with it to be honest.

It's just the way they do things in Spain, get them young and train them up the right way. Certainly worked for Barcalona. Most of their players started with youth teams aged 9 or 10.

This kid obviously has talent and its always a shame to let talent go unfullfilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I'd actually be more concerned for the parents - are their skills transferable to the Spanish economy?
    I doubt that will be an issue while their 9 year old remains the family breadwinner. No pressure like.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How did this kid get discovered exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

He's nine. Its not like he was 7. High time he was out earning a living. Since we stopped using coal fires chimney sweeping work has dried up for his age group. If they are not going to let us run sweatshops how are these kids going to find work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Something does seem a little bit wrong about it, but I can't help thinking if I'd (through some monumental mix-up) been offered a trial with Real Madrid when I was nine and my parents wouldn't allow me to go I'd always be thinking 'what if' for the rest of my life.

Best case, he makes it big.
    Worst case, he learns Spanish, has some fun and comes home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

So when little Johnny decides when he is 12 that he likes rugby better and quits, does this mean his family lose their set up jobs? Its emotion child labour, its vile.

You see it in womens tennis. The kids are turfed over to Florida to train pretty much full time. Loads of them retire in their mid twenties and disown their parents.

btw this story doesn't sound like it had any foundation but this type of stuff does happen unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭event

adamski8 wrote: »
    Damn straight. I saw some under 9's russian team play one time and they didn't seem like they were having fun! Manager shouting very aggresivily at them if they lost the ball and no smiles. Very sad I think

so do you not think under 9's should be playing football at all?

cos i have seen that happen in the park up the road, managers shouting at kids. it happens everywhere.

its typical irish begrudgery, i really cannot believe people are saying this is a bad thing.

none of us have a clue what the madrids kids coaching is like, so there is no point talking about it like its a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

The people begrudging the family for giving their child such an opportunity are just spiteful, the family are 100% right in what they are doing.

He's still going to receive an education, he's being coached at the very highest level, he's getting to experience a different culture and I'm sure the club will find jobs for the parents.

Worst case scenario, he doesn't make it at Real Madrid, he's obviously showing enough already that ensures he could make a career in football, even in lower leagues, that's without all the world class training he's going to receive. Or if he decides football isn't his thing he can just move on, as another poster already stated there's no contract so himself and his family are free to do as they please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Am I the only one that stops reading a post when the word begrudge pops up. Such lazy debating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The generous sprinkly of the mongo word 'begrudgery'in the thread made me think I was in after hours for a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Am I the only one that stops reading a post when the word begrudge pops up. Such lazy debating.

phillip-fry128053296237530.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I think people are REALLY missing the point here.

If this guy has been picked up by Real Madrid then Trap should be looking to get him onto the pitch for 30 seconds at the end of a game. Otherwise we will end up in 10 years time watching him tog out for Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

padser wrote: »
    I think people are REALLY missing the point here.

If this guy has been picked up by Real Madrid then Trap should be looking to get him onto the pitch for 30 seconds at the end of a game. Otherwise we will end up in 10 years time watching him tog out for Spain.

He might be a bit young for Trap to put into a senior squad at the moment.

Advertisement