Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

ralph223 wrote: »
    Hi can you jailbreak an iphone 5 that's locked onto Tmobile (UK) and use it here with O2, Meteor or Vodafone

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

ralph223 wrote: »
    Hi can you jailbreak an iphone 5 that's locked onto Tmobile (UK) and use it here with O2, Meteor or Vodafone

Again, no.

But above all, good luck getting unlocked with T-Mobile, the Ryanair of mobile networks.

I feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ralph223

Ok thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

sharkman wrote: »
    OK Guys , need some help here .
    iPhone 4s running on JB'n , now im getting errors and its like the phone is not activated , I cant activate iMessage or Facetime . I also cant restore from backup as tinyumbreloow seems to do nothing (keep getting error 3194) .
    I've read all the walkarounds and tryed everything for two days .

Anyone got any ideas ??

At work sorry so I'm not sure exactly what I did when I got an error like this. But you are trying to restore fully via iTunes is it? Try removing tiny umbrella and any jailbreak software and then do a laptop restart. Then try the restore via iTunes. Some setting in tiny umbrella causes the restore procedure to mess up afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Has a problem with lockscreans a couple of different times now. Iphone 4 running 6.0. When I select use user LS in winterboard the LS image does not change to the image selected in the general iPhone settings. This is driving me nuts at this stage! I have tried reinstalling winterboard but still not happening. Can anyone shed any light on this.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Tweak to fully integrate the Touch Pal app available on itunes as your main keyboard in ios : http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/04/04/touchpal/

Touchpal is a swipe typing app that is very similar to Swype on Android. In my experience it's just as good in terms of accuracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

anyone fancy helping me, ive been at this days and read as much as i can on the web

i bricked my JB iphone4 trying to install siriport,
    so anyway i had to go restore 5.1.1, i got it done but had no service
    tried again, couldnt get it, ended up using 5.0.1
    bricked it again with Iconoclasm! so same thing again, got 5.1.1 on it, no service
    ive attempted restore a million times and am getting an array of itunes errors
    (3194, 1600, 1604, 2005, 11)
    ive read on these and tried every suggestion

ive tried stitched ispw with redsnow, i reb, snowbreeze, i faith,
    ive tried tinyumbrella during restore and i get error 1600
    if i dont use it I get the usual 3194

do i need tiny umbrella with a stiched ipsw?
    do i run tinyumbrella while using redsnow?
    im getting errors in redsnow as well if i try use that (invalid ipsw, cannot find stich info, etc,etc)
    whats the deal with editing the hosts, there are a lot of different opinions on the web
    ( idid try it already though)

it seems like the restores that worked were a fluke
    ive done the same thing again and nothing

my phone is on 04.10.01 5.1.1, is there any point in keeping this
    it is carrier locked and always will be (the handset is a company phone from a relative who went bust)
    should i try upgrade? do i need to try keep my BB?
    what firmware is still jailbreakable? i have blobs for every version

any help much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

i bricked my JB iphone4 trying to install siriport,

any help much appreciated

Did this myself last week, a right pain in the ass!

Ended up restoring phone via itunes & re-jailbroke it again with redsnow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone has advice on a place in dublin, limerick or kilkenny that is certified to some degree to unlock an iphone 5, or is it totally an under hand operation?

The missus is moving from germany and not entirely certain if her network will allow her to unlock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I've a small problem. I gave my old iPhone 4 as a gift to my niece. In doing it this I fully reset the phone to remove all information on it, and gave it to her as new. The problem is that it is locked to three, and they are pricking me about with the unlock saying it might take weeks despite me being out of contract for months now.

I'm assuming when my niece goes to set up the phone now that it will download the latest firmware at the start (this might already be done) but my question is, what way can I unlock the phone now? Will it be possible with the latest firmware?

El Spearo wrote: »
    Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone has advice on a place in dublin, limerick or kilkenny that is certified to some degree to unlock an iphone 5, or is it totally an under hand operation?

The missus is moving from germany and not entirely certain if her network will allow her to unlock
    It depends on what network the phone is locked to, best bet is look on ebay for someone with good feedback that can unlock from that network.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    I've a small problem. I gave my old iPhone 4 as a gift to my niece. In doing it this I fully reset the phone to remove all information on it, and gave it to her as new. The problem is that it is locked to three, and they are pricking me about with the unlock saying it might take weeks despite me being out of contract for months now.

I'm assuming when my niece goes to set up the phone now that it will download the latest firmware at the start (this might already be done) but my question is, what way can I unlock the phone now? Will it be possible with the latest firmware?
    Should take anywhere between 2-14 days to get it unlocked, it will still take that long if you pay somewhere to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

Hey guys is there any way of unlocking a new iphone five without jailbreaking it or contacting the carrier service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

guil wrote: »
    Should take anywhere between 2-14 days to get it unlocked, it will still take that long if you pay somewhere to do it.
    So there's no way to unlock an iphone 4 without going to the carrier?

Quazzie wrote: »
    So there's no way to unlock an iphone 4 without going to the carrier?
    there is but it will prob take as long as the carrier unlock and cost at least €50

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

My I pad 2 is running 6.1.3 is there any jailbreak available for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

shamcfc wrote: »
    My I pad 2 is running 6.1.3 is there any jailbreak available for that

No JB for 6.1.3 I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭whellman1030

I know that maybe this question has been asked already, but this thread is so long that I can't find it.

So I have ios 6.1.4 (10B350), just bought an iPhone 5. Any hopes of jailbreaking this? If I jaibreak it I loose my warranty?

EDIT: When is expectable to be possible to jailbeak this version? And how do I stop the iPhone of auto updating the OS?

I know that maybe this question has been asked already, but this thread is so long that I can't find it.

So I have ios 6.1.4 (10B350), just bought an iPhone 5. Any hopes of jailbreaking this? If I jaibreak it I loose my warranty?

EDIT: When is expectable to be possible to jailbeak this version? And how do I stop the iPhone of auto updating the OS?

iPhone never auto-updates iOS. That is always your choice.

El Spearo wrote: »

I finally got my iPhone 5 unlocked this week thanks to fonefunshop.co.uk and 80GBP.

No thanks whatsoever are due to T-Mobile UK.

Very expensive but totally worth it. It's now flying with my 3 IRL SIM in it.

(Note to self: never, EVER, get an iPhone on contract ever again).

culabula wrote: »
    I finally got my iPhone 5 unlocked this week thanks to fonefunshop.co.uk and 80GBP.

No thanks whatsoever are due to T-Mobile UK.

Very expensive but totally worth it. It's now flying with my 3 IRL SIM in it.

(Note to self: never, EVER, get an iPhone on contract ever again).

What is the version of your iOS? Did you loose the warranty?

• Advertisement

What is the version of your iOS? Did you loose the warranty?

Read my post again. I got my phone unlocked. You can't lose the warranty for it being unlocked. I didn't get it jailbroken (and never would).

Read my post again. I got my phone unlocked. You can't lose the warranty for it being unlocked. I didn't get it jailbroken (and never would).

Why don't you jailbreak it? You will lose your warranty?

Why don't you jailbreak it? You will lose your warranty?

I have no idea why anyone would jailbreak; not only is the phone fine as it is, it exposes you to all sorts of malware. Besides, come iOS 7, the only remaining reasons to jailbreak will disappear.

Besides, even if you do jailbreak and then have to bring the phone to Apple, simply wipe it and restore to 6.1.4

In any case, you can't jailbreak it at present. You'd be better off installing the beta of iOS 7 (or just use it as is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

JB for 6.1.3 from the nice folks at Evad3rs out now see here

JB for 6.1.3 from the nice folks at Evad3rs out now see here

Have you done this, is it legit?
    This is hardly legit is it?

The website is different from the real evasi0n website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

mcw92 wrote: »
    Have you done this, is it legit?
    This is hardly legit is it?

The website is different from the real evasi0n website.

It takes you to a survey when you click on the download links so its likely not.

pbarr wrote: »
    It takes you to a survey when you click on the download links so its likely not.

Ya i hadn't even bothered clicking link to try to dl it.
    JW had anyone else any luck in a 6.1.3 jailbreak but i found out there is none.
    Oh well.

I have no idea why anyone would jailbreak; not only is the phone fine as it is, it exposes you to all sorts of malware. Besides, come iOS 7, the only remaining reasons to jailbreak will disappear.

Besides, even if you do jailbreak and then have to bring the phone to Apple, simply wipe it and restore to 6.1.4

In any case, you can't jailbreak it at present. You'd be better off installing the beta of iOS 7 (or just use it as is).

People say to me that jalibreal gives you access to all apps for free. I'm I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

People say to me that jalibreal gives you access to all apps for free. I'm I wrong?

Yes, insofar as you'd be stealing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Surely the tweaks are a far bigger draw than free apps, certainly in my case anyway! With the update to ios 7 and the added functionality, I'll have less of an urge to jailbreak than before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Movie box is a fantastic jb app. It gives you access to loads of tv shows and movies streamed. Stream quality is great and very fast,there's no buffering etc in my experience. In that regard its even better than xbmc. Lovely interface too.

Any way I have ios 6.1.4. Any jailbreak for that that has been tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dazaman321

I bought an Iphone 4 second hand and it came jailbroken.I would like to have un-jailbroken.It was on the O2 network but I need it on the meteor network.HELP !?!?!?

dazaman321 wrote: »
    I bought an Iphone 4 second hand and it came jailbroken.I would like to have un-jailbroken.It was on the O2 network but I need it on the meteor network.HELP !?!?!?

If it's locked to 02 there's nothing much you can do. Restore it in iTunes and see if one of the unlocking shops can do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Anyone know if its possible to software-unlock ios6.1.3, baseband 04.12.05 to irish networks? I've been out of the game for a while

I managed to jailbreak and install cydia on the iphone 4 but couldn't unlock using ultrasn0w. Googling seems to suggest it's not possible

animaX wrote: »
    Anyone know if its possible to software-unlock ios6.1.3, baseband 04.12.05 to irish networks? I've been out of the game for a while

I managed to jailbreak and install cydia on the iphone 4 but couldn't unlock using ultrasn0w. Googling seems to suggest it's not possible
    It's not possible to unlock any iPhone baseband after 01.59.00 on the iPhone 4 with ultrasn0w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

guil wrote: »
    It's not possible to unlock any iPhone baseband after 01.59.00 on the iPhone 4 with ultrasn0w

Cool, thanks for the info

Bought a Gevey sim on eBay for €8. Took 2 weeks to arrive from china and after 4 months my 4S on 6.0.1 is finally unlocked. Genuinely surprised it worked so easily.

Did you have any problem getting the personal hotspot working after unlocking this way. When I turn it on I get a message to contact my previous carrier which is no good as they wouldn't unlock it for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Did you have any problem getting the personal hotspot working after unlocking this way. When I turn it on I get a message to contact my previous carrier which is no good as they wouldn't unlock it for me anyway.
    i haven't had any issues with the hotspot. I'm with 3 who allow it though so that may be why.

Strange, phone was locked to Meteor and hotspot worked fine then I unlocked it with the Gevey and switched to Tesco who allow tethering but as soon as I try to switch on the hotspot I am told to contact Meteor. The phone is working fine every other way.
    Did you change operators after you unlocked it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Strange, phone was locked to Meteor and hotspot worked fine then I unlocked it with the Gevey and switched to Tesco who allow tethering but as soon as I try to switch on the hotspot I am told to contact Meteor. The phone is working fine every other way.
    Did you change operators after you unlocked it?
    Only from UK 3 to the Irish one. Have you made sure to set your phone up with tesco's Internet settings? That could be it.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/phone-settings.aspx

Only from UK 3 to the Irish one. Have you made sure to set your phone up with tesco's Internet settings? That could be it.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/phone-settings.aspx

Thanks for that but I've been there but no joy. I think I'll just have to wait for a jailbreak and maybe I'll be able to get an app that will set up one. I'm not too bad because data on the phone itself is ok.
    I'd say you're ok because you only went from 3 UK to 3 Ireland. If you go to a different carrier It might not work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Sorry if this has been asked before. Yesterday I bought an unlocked iphone 4 off adverts.ie. Phone was as advertised, in perfect working condition. I haven't put my sim card in yet because i need to get it cut to a mini size for it to fit, but i started playing around with the apps anyway and setting up the phone. The first thing that it asked me to do was to update my itunes, so i downloaded itunes 11. The phone is working fine but when i went to download the facebook app, it told me that the iphone had never been used on itunes and i needed to connect it. So i did. But then the message 'there is a problem with your iphone' appeared. First of all, i thought it was because my old itunes account (apple id) was different to the one i set up on the iphone, so i signed in using the new one, but that didn't fix it and the message is still there. I'm wondering if i put in my mini sim card would that make a difference? I'm really clueless as to what to do next. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

AllWasWell wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before. Yesterday I bought an unlocked iphone 4 off adverts.ie. Phone was as advertised, in perfect working condition. I haven't put my sim card in yet because i need to get it cut to a mini size for it to fit, but i started playing around with the apps anyway and setting up the phone. The first thing that it asked me to do was to update my itunes, so i downloaded itunes 11. The phone is working fine but when i went to download the facebook app, it told me that the iphone had never been used on itunes and i needed to connect it. So i did. But then the message 'there is a problem with your iphone' appeared. First of all, i thought it was because my old itunes account (apple id) was different to the one i set up on the iphone, so i signed in using the new one, but that didn't fix it and the message is still there. I'm wondering if i put in my mini sim card would that make a difference? I'm really clueless as to what to do next. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

You might need to put your sim in first as it may have been recently unlocked by a service provider and simply need activation. Try that and come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Hey folks,

I'm running an old version of xbmc which is acting up. Various apps are broken or have disappeared. The apple tv software is 5.0.2. I want to update to Frodo. Is this possible without updating the apple tv?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

So my Mrs mother in law got a brand new iPhone 5 in the UK from Orange. She gave my mrs her upgrade and is still using her old phone. When we came back to Ireland obviously it won't register her sim.

How should I go about unlocking a new iPhone 5. I'm nervous I'll break it somehow. Is their a professional shop in dublin city that does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Hey guys,

anyone here ever used the cellunlocker.net site? I seem to be swaying towards trust with this regarding a factory unlock of a german tmobile iphone 5....

Just wondering if they are trustworthy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement