Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Rumours of Robbie Benson joining the champions. Would be happy with that. Very good player and I'm guessing Kenny will try and mould him into a Hoban Mark II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pighead wrote: »
    Rumours of Robbie Benson joining the champions. Would be happy with that. Very good player and I'm guessing Kenny will try and mould him into a Hoban Mark II.

Benson's a very underrated player. I'd love him at Pat's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

tastyt wrote: »
    Really would like to know what the current state of Kilkenny city is and if there is an appetite for them to get back up and running. Lovely pitch and decent little stand, terrible dressing rooms though. I know away fans used to love the trip and they in theory had a good catchment area

We love it down there, making back page news in the local paper! :pac:

29wo66b.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Omackeral wrote: »
    There is gonna be absolute anarchy in the SoCoDu derby when UCD meet Cabinteely.
    Our ultras are already mobilising.

Surprised it took this long for Benson to be linked to a Premier League club. Would walk into any side in the league I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Did yis give up on Drennan? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Our ultras are is already mobilising.

Surprised it took this long for Benson to be linked to a Premier League club. Would walk into any side in the league I think.

FYP.

anncoates wrote: »
    Did yis give up on Drennan? :)
    He's the other rumour. Apparently we signed a striker yesterday and it will be announced today or tomorrow. Looks like it's either Drennan or Benson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Our ultra is already mobilising.

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭DvB

He's the other rumour. Apparently we signed a striker yesterday and it will be announced today or tomorrow. Looks like it's either Drennan or Benson.

I'll narrow it down, Its not Drennan.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I'll narrow it down, Its not Drennan.
    Thanks Robbie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Heard four targets back in November. Barrett and Manning from Galway, Benson from UCD and Rodgers coming in from Cherrie. I'm surprised Benson took this long to materialise and maybe the possibility of Drennan being available or even Towell re-signing stalled things.
    Still think we are badly missing a replacement for Hoban and Kenny will need to rejig tactics.

Thanks Robbie.

LOL, sadly however my playing days are long past.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

We love it down there, making back page news in the local paper! :pac:

29wo66b.jpg

It'd be great to have ye back down, it's a pity as Kilkenny is only an hour and 15 minutes from Dublin now.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It'd be great to have ye back down, it's a pity as Kilkenny is only an hour and 15 minutes from Dublin now.

Holy sh*t did they move it? This is MK Dons all over. No to Modern Football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

CSF wrote: »
    Ideally all these clubs would be coming into a gigantic pyramid.
    This, for me, is the big issue with the Cabinteely thing. Granted, they're well established at schoolboy level, but they have absolutely no pedigree at senior level.

I guess it's better than Atletico Santry though - at least the foundations are in place.

tastyt wrote: »
    Seems to be a big interest in football in the city itself.
    Generally speaking, there's huge interest in football in the whole country. But that doesn't translate into attendances at LOI games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Omackeral wrote: »
    Holy sh*t did they move it? This is MK Dons all over. No to Modern Football!

LOL, no, the motorway has opened since City left the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Friday, March 6
    Cabinteely v Wexford Youths, Stradbrook, 7.45pm.
    Waterford United v Athlone Town, RSC, 7.45 pm.
    Shelbourne v Finn Harps, Tolka Park, 8pm.
    Saturday, March 7
    Cobh Ramblers v UCD, St. Colman's Park, 7.45pm.

finally and with only 5 weeks to the start of the season!

I remember being down there and my mates dad actually got a mug of tea and was asked to bring it back after half-time. Only in the LoI.

http://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/5847-2015-sse-airtricity-league-first-division-fixtures-released

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I remember being down there and my mates dad actually got a mug of tea and was asked to bring it back after half-time. Only in the LoI.

http://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/5847-2015-sse-airtricity-league-first-division-fixtures-released

We should use dreamers75 hashtag from last year (when the Pat's boys bought chips for all the fans in the pub after the cup win) in any and all instances where stuff like this occurs.

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

We had a preseason friendly in castlebar a couple of years back where they gave us tea in real mugs.

My personal highlight as a football supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

When Limerick played Glenview in the cup a few years back Glenview were selling commemorative mugs to mark the occasion. I didn't buy one (though I did pick up a scarf to add to the collection).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

djpbarry wrote: »
    This, for me, is the big issue with the Cabinteely thing. Granted, they're well established at schoolboy level, but they have absolutely no pedigree at senior level.

I guess it's better than Atletico Santry though - at least the foundations are in place.
    Get as many of these clubs in as possible IMO. Then in an ideal world, you would have enough teams to have 3 divisions and let the weaker ones find their level in the 3rd division.

There is absolutely no reason at this stage why there should be in any way strict requirements for playing in any division other than the Premier Division.

Requirements should reflect the sort of level available. There isn't the number of teams who could meet previous First Division requirements and that is unlikely to change.

If the likes of us and Harps want to play in a league full of teams who meet those requirements then we're just going to have to get ourselves promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

AgileMyth wrote: »
    We had a preseason friendly in castlebar a couple of years back where they gave us tea in real mugs.

My personal highlight as a football supporter.

Had to make my own tea when I was there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

They also have a bar though which is great!

• Advertisement

Delighted.

Also see Limerick are in a bit of bother going by Facebook.

"A bad day for our club...
    Found out today that we're having no money put towards the club and it's going to be be just u19's and old faces from junior football.
    Even heard today that our club might not even make the opening day.
    Our club is run by idiots and we threw money at all the wrong players. It's no one's fault but the man who employed these decision-makers.
    Sims~Limk"

Supposedly Shane Duggan has asked to leave and is off to Cork or Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

I know a few people at Lims and they tell me they will be fine for 2015.Sure did they not recently buy some palace near Limerick for the teams to to train in?Was also told though that that the panel that played in the MSC last week WILL be more or less be the side for the season.Lims to struggle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Supposedly Shane Duggan has asked to leave and is off to Cork or Galway.
    Where does he play and is he any good?

• Advertisement

Get as many of these clubs in as possible IMO. Then in an ideal world, you would have enough teams to have 3 divisions and let the weaker ones find their level in the 3rd division.
    Or organise all the existing leagues in the country into a proper pyramid structure. There aren't that many - it wouldn't be hard. The top ones (LSL, MSL) could be designated as the "LOI Second Division(s)".
    There is absolutely no reason at this stage why there should be in any way strict requirements for playing in any division other than the Premier Division.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Center mid, a good average type player, nothing out of this world. Would be a really good signing for Galway, don't think he's needed back at Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Centre mid. Good player, but not sure he would get a game again at CCFC given our options in that position.

Quite the race this season for the beloved first * next to their names it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Or organise all the existing leagues in the country into a proper pyramid structure. There aren't that many - it wouldn't be hard. The top ones (LSL, MSL) could be designated as the "LOI Second Division(s)".

I don't think you realise what the people are like who run those leagues. There's so much politics that go on. I honestly don't see there ever being a pyramid system in this country, which is very disappointing.

SantryRed wrote: »
    I don't think you realise what the people are like who run those leagues. There's so much politics that go on.
    Oh I know, most of the top clubs at junior level have zero interest in progressing to the LOI. But, at the end of the day, all of these leagues fall under the auspices of the FAI and, ultimately, it's up to them how these leagues should be organised with respect to one another.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to "persuade" clubs to fall in line either. For example: "Oh you want to participate in the FAI Cup, do you? Well, there's this new pyramid league structure that we're considering implementing..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Oh I know, most of the top clubs at junior level have zero interest in progressing to the LOI. But, at the end of the day, all of these leagues fall under the auspices of the FAI and, ultimately, it's up to them how these leagues should be organised with respect to one another.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to "persuade" clubs to fall in line either. For example: "Oh you want to participate in the FAI Cup, do you? Well, there's this new pyramid league structure that we're considering implementing..."

This in a nutshell!

Have 4 regional leagues, winners of the top amatuer senior leagues ( or junior where applicable) should advance and this could form a sort of division 1 with the teams who drop out of premier.. The top 8 teams then (top 2 from regional leagues) could play off or have mini league too join premier with the fai giving assurances over licensing etc. I realise this plan isn't perfect but a model along these lines would be best and give people the opertunity too advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

FAI should force the matter two decent leagues nationally and some regional feeders to provide feeders into them. They should also increase the length of the season, far too long from end Oct to March.

How sure if the lower leagues would have to run summer football? If not they would have issues overlapping like a left hand drive country boarding a right hand one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

SantryRed wrote: »
    I don't think you realise what the people are like who run those leagues. There's so much politics that go on. I honestly don't see there ever being a pyramid system in this country, which is very disappointing.

If The FAI ever unveil the "masterplan" a lot of leagues will be swtiching to summer. Which would help if a 3rd division ever came about.

But could you imagine the hate from not dublin people when there are 17 or so dublin teams in it :pac:

The FAI won't look to undertake a change to an organized 'pyramid' structure as the power to change within the FAI is held by the very people that have a vested interest in the lower leagues & don't want this to happen. Quite simply the schoolboy & junior/leagues in this country have far too much power in how the game is run on a national level & until that changes forget about any genuine move to structure anything to something remotely logical.

Some talk this morning that Limerick won't get a licence. What a shambles of a league.

• Advertisement

Some talk this morning that Limerick won't get a licence. What a shambles of a league.
    It's fine - I think Cabinteely are ready for the Premier anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Did this appear to be on the horizon if that guy ever stopped funding.

They were obviously spending more than they were bringing in, but really it's shocking that they wouldn't just be in a position to operate on a greatly reduced budget.

Hopefully they will be in the league and be even worse than us (GUFC). Playoffs here we come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

https://loihistory.wordpress.com/

Some interesting articles from times gone by.

Millenium Stand :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Chicken league :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Who are/were EMFA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Who are/were EMFA?

Kilkenny City

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Who are/were EMFA?

East Midlands Football Association

AKA Kilkenny City