Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Must Have Games (PC)

• 31-08-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Haven't bought any games recently and am looking for something new to play. The last game I picked up was Dragon Age Origins, and I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed it, which was surprising as I thought NWN2 had put me off RPG's altogether, so a rundown of what I have and what I like
    Fallout 3 + all addons
    One of my favourite games of all time. Can't wait for New Vegas

Bioshock 1&2
    Loved both of these and am not happy with a sequel outside Rapture. The art-deco style and music made it for me

Crysis, Crysis Warhead
    Didn't care for Warhead as much as the original, but still still loved them

Thief Series
    1 & 2 have aged badly, but Deadly Shadows is deadly

Fear
    Loved how this played and felt. In my mind one of the finest games to be made. Didn't think the add ons added anything though.

All Spliter Cell exceot Conviction
    I liked Double Agent, but is Conviction any good.

All Hitman
    Loved the later ones, Blood Money and Contracts

Farcry 1&2
    1 was brilliant, 2 was crap

Stalker + COP + Clear Sky
    Loved COP, but the other 2 were Meh!!

Oblivion
    Loved it, but wouldn't play it again

KOTOR
    Kinda like Oblivion, I enjoyed them, but wouldn't want to play them again

All Command and Conquer
    Newer ones have lost that spark that made the originals so much fun

Diablo 1 & 2 + Expansions
    So long since I played them, I don't know how I feel about them anymore

Supreme Commander
    Meh!!!

All Half-life
    Loved these games up until the Gravity Gun, have hated them every since

All NWN and NWN2
    NWN2 soured the taste for me

Total War Series
    I like them, but they just take too long to play

ArmA II
    Didn't like it. It just didn't feel right

There are some other odd games here and there in my collection (eg Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines or World in Conflict) but the ones listed above would be the most popular ones shall we say. Now the list above is not just a list of my games collection, but rather I ma hoping based on the list above that someone can suggest a few games that they think are missing, and would be worth my while picking up.
    As you can see there is a lot of FPS games and I've noticed over the last few years that I am more interested in games that I can just pick up and play.
    The comment about Total War is the most telling. I haven't got hours to sit down in front of a game build armies, or micromanage a society (ie strategy games).
    Neither do I have the emotional interest to invest in developing a character from scratch(ie RPG). Granted Fallout 3 and Dragon Age have soften my stance on the latter point.

So great people of boards, please help me fill out this collection with games you think shoud be included

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

System Shock 2, Deus Ex and the Thief series. Fallout 1,2 and Tactics. Planetscape Torment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,554 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

total annihilation.
    starcraft.
    monkey island.
    maniac mansion.
    grim fandango.
    tie fighter.
    system shock 2

you dislike the gravity gun? :eek:
    wouldn't really class crysis, bioshock and farcry series of games as must haves tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

company of heros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Total Annihilation

/thread

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Trackmania Nations Forever. It's awesome and it's free

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

World of Warcraft - Cant have a 'must have' pc games thread without this.
    Baldurs Gate 1/2 - Probably the best RPG i've ever played. Fantastic games.
    Homeworld - The 1st fully 3d strategy blew my away when it was released. Space Opera at its finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Starcraft brood wars

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Kiith wrote: »
    Baldurs Gate 1/2 - Probably the best RPG i've ever played. Fantastic games.
    You really want to play this game! Best RPG there is from what I've played. I enjoyed the NWN games (the 2nd one was pretty good after it was patched and fixed), but there were no stand out characters and the plot was instantly forgettable. It was mostly just a fun combat game on the AD&D ruleset. Baldur's Gate had both the combat and the characters sorted, BG2 especially had some fantastic characters, anyone who doesn't like Minsc is just wrong! "Butt kicking, for goodness!!" :)

Also BG2 had some great character development and enough side quests to last you for weeks, but you can also pick it up for an hour or 2 at a time. The first Baldurs Gate hasn't aged so well, but you can gets mods (Baldurs Gate Trilogy, or Tutu/Easytutu) that allow you to play both games as a single continous story. I played through BG Trilogy and it was a refreshing new way to play BG1, worth replaying both games for. But at this point I've finished BG2 4 times, quite a lot of time put into that one :)

ps: Also +1 for Deus Ex, best FPS/RPG hybrid I've ever played, even ahead of System Shocks imo. Bioshock just pales in comparison to Deus Ex or System Shock imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Planetscape Torment.

This. A couple of handy patches bring it up to today's resolutioins, they're easy to find. Much as I enjoyed the Baldur's Gate series, Torment blows it clean out of the water in terms of plot, immersion, characters and ingenuity. I bought it again on Amazon recently to relive the nostalgia. Dragon Age and Mass Effect could learn a thing or two from this one, as far as I'm concerned. An under-appreciated gem that really should have been made mandatory for all gamers interested in RPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

-Assassins Creed 1+2
    -Batman - Arkham Asylum
    -Left4Dead2
    -Portal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

- Left 4 Dead (whether you prefer the original or the sequel is a matter of taste).
    - Portal
    - Osmos
    - Red Faction: Guerrilla (or wait for the sequel)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Diablo 1 & 2 + Expansions
    So long since I played them, I don't know how I feel about them anymore

Install Steam.
    Get Torchlight.
    Reminisce.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

All Spliter Cell exceot Conviction
    I liked Double Agent, but is Conviction any good.
    Conviction is a Splinter Cell game in name only. It's a very dumbed down version with an emphasis on combat rather than stealth. That said, it's an entertaining game, but I definitely wouldn't class it as a "must have".

I'd add Fallout 1 and 2 to the list, but they haven't aged particularly well. And the control scheme fairly sucks. They're still fantastic games though and Fallout 3 really suffered by not using any of the humour of the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sarky wrote: »
    This. A couple of handy patches bring it up to today's resolutioins, they're easy to find. Much as I enjoyed the Baldur's Gate series, Torment blows it clean out of the water in terms of plot, immersion, characters and ingenuity. I bought it again on Amazon recently to relive the nostalgia. Dragon Age and Mass Effect could learn a thing or two from this one, as far as I'm concerned. An under-appreciated gem that really should have been made mandatory for all gamers interested in RPGs.

Didnt know about the patches to update the rez. Got the game and couldn't play it. Will reinstall and have a look about now.

BG2 was one of the greatest games I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Hmmm must reread post before hitting submit to make sure it says what I want it to say.

What I was hoping for was some reccomendations on modern games that people think I would like based on the list of games I already own.
    Having said that, there is some in that list that pique my interest.

Re Assassins Creed & Batman. I have those on PS3, but thanks for the suggestion.

Have the orange box and didn't like Left 4 Dead or Team Fortress. Not into multiplayer games to be honest.

WOW, I refuse to buy a game and then spend more money every month to keep playing, and also haven't got the time to get into something like WOW. Didn't like homeworld either. I thought I would, but it just didn't grap me.

I saw a Fallout pack in Game (Fallout 1 & 2 & Tactics), must pick it up

As for the rest, I have played some of them, but to be honest I was more looking for suggestions on fairly new games, ie within the last 2 years or so. Not really looking for a trip down memory lane.

Thanks for the suggestions though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Starcraft 2 is a must have as is Mass Effect 1 and 2.
    I agree with the rest of the suggestions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

QUAKE! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

How about we do this thread except with post pictures of the games we like! :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Kharn wrote: »
    QUAKE! :)

Pft, if Quake was good then people would have created a forum to follow it, and that forum would have then turned into Ireland's biggest and best discussion forum....

Oh wait :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

world in conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I love World in Conflict, and funnily enough i only watched Red Dawn which i had never seen before while i was playing the game which really enhanced it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Age of Empires II

The Curse of Monkey Island

Full Throttle

Mafia

Quake

Morrowind

Men of war is a good game too,can be a frustrating at times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Finally got around to playing Warcraft 3 recently and it'd certainly be on my list of favourite RTS games.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

For an easy to pick up and jump in and out of FPS, Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare, and then if you enjoy it there's Modern Warfare 2 for more of the same.

For slightly deeper gameplay the Ghost Recon/Rainbow 6 games are good too, the newer ones aren't a patch on the original versions which were much more tactical sims, but they're still good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Unreal tournament. Great multiplayer. Especially the '99 version. Completely different style to the usual CS/war type multiplayer games.

About half-life, I didn't really like the gravity gun until the later parts (i.e., green/blue/turquoise gun - that was cool). It was fun, but a bit annoying when you were forced to use it by having no ammo around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

how could i forget UT99? :eek: absolute legend of a game. mods/mutators are class for it. though it's kinda a multiplayer game to make it really fun (OP doesn't like mp)

• Registered Users Posts: 80,741 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Orange Box

Half Life 1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Not an exclusive PC title and already part of the Orange Box but I have to plug TF2. It's just damn good fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,741 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

190 Hours of Flaming, Stabbing, Shooting, Wrenching good fun.

Advertisement