Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ireland will get out of the group,as they have done in 90,94,02.

We will inflict major revenge on Spain after robbing us in 02.

Positive thinking and all that.
    they were world cup groups, MASSIVE different to euro groups!
    elefant wrote: »
    Jeez, group A is muck. I probably won't watch a single game in that one, excpet maybe to see a bit of the opening match.
    host nations are always interesting to watch and if your you wont be interested in watching poland v russia for a great grudge match then thats your loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

elefant wrote: »
    Jeez, group A is muck. I probably won't watch a single game in that one, excpet maybe to see a bit of the opening match.

If you think there are bad teams in this tournament, wait until they expand it further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

We will inflict major revenge on Spain after robbing us in 02.

They gave us 2 pens in the game, played a good portion of extra-time with ten men (seemingly without Ireland even realising it?) and even missed two out of five pens in the shoot-out. I don't know how much more generous one could expect an opponent to be?

If they did rob us it was only because we left all the windows and doors to our house open and put a big sign over the porch saying 'we've gone on holidays for 2 weeks'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,975 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

kitakyushu wrote: »
    They gave us 2 pens in the game, played a good portion of extra-time with ten men (seemingly without Ireland even realising it?) and even missed two out of five pens in the shoot-out. I don't know how much more generous one could expect an opponent to be?

If they did rob us it was only because we left all the windows and doors to our house open and put a big sign over the porch saying 'we've gone on holidays for 2 weeks'.

Not to mention playing strikerless for a good chunk of time too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Was in Spain for that Spain - Ireland game in '02, the locals couldn't get over how they managed to progress. Think it was Kilbane that missed an absolute sitter from the rebound after the Ian Harte penalty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Backing Germany to the hilt. Huntelaar represents excellent value at 20/1 for top goalscorer. 43 goals in 44 games for Schalke this season in all competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Too early I think to make group predictions, until I see more teams in friendlies.

Personally, I would like to see Cristiano Ronaldo have a brilliant tournament for Portugal, to shut up any people who still doubt he is a special player, (mainly Dunphy :pac:).

As for Ireland, I certainly have no doubt that the players will give it their maximum, whatever the results are. We might not be able to say the same for all other 15 countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

THFC wrote: »
    I'll get the predictions rolling shall I? :pac:

Group A:
    Russia
    Czech
    Greece
    Poland

Group B:
    Germany
    Holland
    Portugal
    Denmark

Group C:
    Spain
    Italy
    Croatia
    Ireland :o

Group D:
    France
    England
    Ukraine
    Sweden

Holland to beat the Russia, Germany to beat the Czechs, Spain to beat England and France to beat Italy in the QF's.

Spain to beat the Holland in the SF and Germnay to beat France.

Spain then to win it out.

Subscribe for the lotto numbers ;)

I'd be surprised if either of the hosts didn't get through but I can't see which one. I think I'm correct in saying Poland are a shambles and Ukraine have a difficult group. Spain -vs- Germnay should make for a cracking final,provided they get there. I really fancy France to do something special, they have a lot to prove after the shambles of a WC and they have a very good squad. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they managed to get to the final. England might surprise people if Harry takes over, but they will get to the SF at best, he doesn't have the tactical awareness to win a major tournament. Portugal have shockingly hard group, how 3 of the best 10 teams in the world are together is very surprising.

As for Ireland, I can only see us picking up a point against the Croatians. I can't see any other result than a loss against Spain, but then look at Switzerland in the last WC, and as for Italy, they seem to have gotten themselves in order.

All will be revealed soon enough though. I'll be interested to see how accurate my predictions are.

Italy have hardly got themselves in order. They lost their last two matches to USA and Uruguay and had a fairly uninspiring qualification drawing with Serbia and Northern Ireland while scraping a 1-0 win away to Faroe Islands! Plus we beat them 2-0 last year.

Italy have hardly got themselves in order. They lost their last two matches to USA and Uruguay and had a fairly uninspiring qualification drawing with Serbia and Northern Ireland while scraping a 1-0 win away to Faroe Islands! Plus we beat them 2-0 last year.

I wonder if results in qualifiers are an accurate way of predicting tournaments.

Italy left it to the last day to qualify for USA 94, yet make it to the final only losing on penalties to Brazil. Brazil,l I think, were not convincing themselves in the qualifiers for 2002 WC.

I wonder if results in qualifiers are an accurate way of predicting tournaments.

They're not the be all and end off of predictors but I certainly find them valid and useful data.

For instance the classic is Greece in 2004. They went into the 2004 finals as rank outsiders purely because of their name. So despite the fact that they won their qualifying group (ahead of Spain!), beat Spain *in* Spain, and won their last 6 games in a row with 6 clean sheets not many rated them.

Basically they had been doing the business that won them the tournament right in the qualifying stage yet not many people appeared to register it because they'd lost their opening 2 games.

If there's any unfavoured team in the 2012 who has a good run of results in the 2nd half of qualifying with few goals conceded then I'd keep an eye them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Heading over for the group stages, really looking forward to the atmosphere more so than anything. I won't hold my breath that we'll play great football, but you'd never know!

I reckon it will be Holland or Germany to win it if they haven't taken lumps out of each other by the end of their group stages game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Backing Germany to win this at 7/2, have a few quid on as we speak :cool:

I think France are 15/8 to beat England in the opener, I think that's a very good bet especially if Pearce is the English manager!

Not really thought about top scorer, RvP seems to obvious (yes, yes I know, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's a duck!!) so I might have a few quid on Gomes come the start of the tournament.

Some nice jerseys to look forward to also

Germany-2012-Euro-adidas-Away-Kit-Lahm.jpg

nike-holland-away-shirt-2012-2013.jpg

france-away-shirt-2012.jpg

croatia-euro-2012-away-shirt.jpg

portugal-euro-2012-away-shirt.jpg

russia-away-shirt-euro-2012.jpg

Some awful designs. Germany away is nice and simple, though.

It always amazes me come new-jersey-time that a lot of the so called 'nice' ones are the kind of thing people wouldn't be caught dead in if they didn't have a football badge on them.

For me the simpler the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Here is one *possible* outcome...

Group Stage

Group A
    Poland(1st), Greece, Russia(2nd), Czech Republic

Group B
    Netherlands(1st), Denmark, Germany(2nd), Portugal

Group C
    Spain(1st), Italy, ROI(2nd), Croatia

Group D
    Ukraine, Sweden, France(1st), England(2nd)

Quarter Finals

QF1: Winner Group A v Runner-up Group B
    Poland v Germany

Germany to progress...

QF2: Winner Group C v Runner-up Group D
    Spain v England

England to progress...

QF3: Winner Group B v Runner-up Group A
    Netherlands v Russia

Netherlands to progress...

QF4: Winner Group D v Runner-up Group C
    France v ROI

ROI to progress...

Semi Finals

SF1: Winner QF1 v Winner QF3
    Germany v Netherlands

Germany to progress...

SF2: Winner QF2 v Winner QF4
    England v ROI

ROI to progress... :)

Final

Germany v ROI
    (who would wear the green jersey??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

^^
    I think England beating Spain is more unlikely than us getting to the final :pac:

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    ^^
    I think England beating Spain is more unlikely than us getting to the final :pac:

Thats a good thing so! (England beat Spain late last year!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Germany are a horrible price at a general 3/1-7/2. When you see that the current European and World champions Spain are 5/2 +, it really doesn't make sense that Germany are less than a point bigger. You then have a very good Holland side which ran Spain the closest in the WC, and they are more than double Germany's price at 15/2.

I can understand why they are so short. It happens in a hell of a lot of markets. You have an obvious favourite that people don't want to hammer into, so they look for a 'fashionable' alternative. This time it's Germany. I'll even expect their price to contract further in the coming months as lazy tipsters and football pundits who don't understand gambling will put them up as their selection.

I'm not saying they don't have a good chance. A good young side that performed admirably at the WC, and breezed through their qualification group. If they were 6/1+ i'd be putting them up as my selection. But that doesn't stop the 3/1 being a ridiculous price. They haven't shown enough to be so close to Spain in the betting.

If you're determined to back them at underpriced odds, at least don't back them outright. You'll get far more value just backing them at each stage. Look at their expected route. Giving very short conservative prices as an example, they are 3/10 to get out of the group, We'll say Greece in the QF (1/5), England in the SF (4/7) and Spain in the final (6/4)...3/10 x 1/5 x 4/7 x 6/4 = Over 5/1. That's a significant increase on the 7/2 available now.

I'm actually thinking Spain are a bet at 13/5 to win it out. Whilst the hunger may not be totally there, they may just be good enough to win regardless. They never hit form during the WC at all, yet were still good enough to win it in second gear. The last time they were at the Euro's, 08, they set the place alight and they may be an even better team now. Goals will be a slight worry, but as the WC showed, one is often enough as they control possession so well. I wouldn't back them now however. They started very slowly in the WC, and are only 1/7 to get out of the group. Little point in backing them now when they will likely still be 9/4 before the quarter finals. Back them then instead.

The only real juice I can see in an outsiders price at the moment is the 25's available on Portugal. Very tough group, but 25's is too big and they'll be a hell of a lot shorter should they make it to the QF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    The only real juice I can see in an outsiders price at the moment is the 25's available on Portugal. Very tough group, but 25's is too big and they'll be a hell of a lot shorter should they make it to the QF.

This is where the moola is to be made.

Back now @ 25/1 to the tune of a tenner, then lay when they get out of the group and are 5/1, to make back your tenner or a bit more (exposing yourself to €50 on that will earn you back your original ten at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

133.jpg

Last time I checked Brazil, USA, Argentina and South Korea weren't involved in the EUROPEAN Championships.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    133.jpg

Last time I checked Brazil, USA, Argentina and South Korea weren't involved in the EUROPEAN Championships.

Neither are the UK , Cameroon and Norway come to mention it. Tho there might be a few Brazilian ringers for nations short on attacking options.

There's more nations in that photo who aren't at the finals than are.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Neither are the UK , Cameroon and Norway come to mention it. Tho there might be a few Brazilian ringers for nations short on attacking options.

There's more nations in that photo who aren't at the finals than are.

That shot with the faces was used by some company for an USA 94 advertisement, you can see it in the tournament's official magazine which I have a copy of. Wonder if they breached something by putting Poland 2012 over it?

EDIT: Found the old magazine - it was FUJI film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Does anyone know if the Panini Euro 12 sticker book is out in Ireland yet?

cobijones wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Panini Euro 12 sticker book is out in Ireland yet?

Would that be the Adrenaline Excel one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭briany

As for Ireland, I certainly have no doubt that the players will give it their maximum, whatever the results are. We might not be able to say the same for all other 15 countries.

Hopefully there's an execution to match the undoubted heart with which the players will play and not the soccer equivalent of :

tumblr_l2ys14gJQP1qc073co1_r2_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Would that be the Adrenaline Excel one?

No the actual sticker book, it has a purple cover. A friend of mine has it in France, havent seen it here yet, altough I havent looked far beyond the local centra , just wondering if anyone has it here yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

baz2009 wrote: »
    Finish the Leaving Cert the day Ireland play Spain. :cool:

I finished mine the day before Spain v Ireland the last time. Hopefully this will go one better!

Germany to win, one of the Spanish to be top scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is there any actual times for these matches? Like are they during work hours, or later in the evening?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Afternoon and evening i'd say. Prefer evening games for Ireland. It could be very hot over there at that time of year.

• Advertisement

Advertisement