Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting fitted properly for football boots

• 17-11-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the various sports shops do proper fitting for football boots and be able to order a pair suited to my feet? Or can ya get boots with better arch support?

I'm playing every day now and can feel it in my arches and I get shin splints so thinking of splashing out on a proper pair of fitted football boots.

I usually just buy whatever looks good on the shelf and that's cheap (kid sizes!).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Each boot is made to the makers "fit" ie curly toes Nike boots.

Just try em all on and end out getting a Copa Mundials :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Each boot is made to the makers "fit" ie curly toes Nike boots.

Just try em all on and end out getting a Copa Mundials :p

:pac: Hate Nike boots! I've always been an Adidas person apart from that one pair of Nikes that destroyed my feet.

I've never seen a pair of Copa's in size 4. I see you can get them on the Adidas website but I'd like to try them on or get them customised to my feet.

Women's predators, £180! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You can get sports insoles with proper support for your arches etc.I found that bog standard boots (i.e not custom made) boots had poor support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Tell me more about these women predators!!!

zerks wrote: »
    You can get sports insoles with proper support for your arches etc.I found that bog standard boots (i.e not custom made) boots had poor support.

Might get my feet measured and then get a sport insole.

These are the adidas Predator X Women's Football Boots. They have a different heel. I wonder would a sports shop actually be able to order them in for me?

Jul_5F00_realm_5F00_predx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

curry-muff wrote: »
    Tell me more about these women predators!!!

Coppers most nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

zerks wrote: »

I highly recommend bespoke orthotics for your feet if you are having arch or shin pain.

All boots except the bespoke £1500 Puma Powercat VIP boots which included a trip to the factory in Wales with a gait analysis screening and bespoke boots made exactly for the biomechanical needs of your feet are 'bog standard boots'.

Some will suit better than others. Asics are regularly claimed to be quite kind to your feet. The heel is raised 10mm above the ball of the foot which is recommended for me by a physio and is claimed by Asics to be better for the health of your lower legs.

Since the OP is in/near UL then surely she could find someone there offering a gait analysis/orthotic service. It will be ~€150 but i promise it is worth it if you have ongoing foot/lower limb pain.

Here are predators in size 4 HERE. They won't suit orthotics though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Morf wrote: »
    I highly recommend bespoke orthotics for your feet if you are having arch or shin pain.

All boots except the bespoke £1500 Puma Powercat VIP boots which included a trip to the factory in Wales with a gait analysis screening and bespoke boots made exactly for the biomechanical needs of your feet are 'bog standard boots'.

Some will suit better than others. Asics are regularly claimed to be quite kind to your feet. The heel is raised 10mm above the ball of the foot which is recommended for me by a physio and is claimed by Asics to be better for the health of your lower legs.

Since the OP is in/near UL then surely she could find someone there offering a gait analysis/orthotic service. It will be ~€150 but i promise it is worth it if you have ongoing foot/lower limb pain.

you could just do that in elverys for free:confused:

I'm not any where near UL! :P

Nice spot on the boots though. Maybe with some sport insoles inside them, they'd help a little?

They do? There's an elverys at home so I might do that at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

mars bar wrote: »

I'm not any where near UL! :P

Nice spot on the boots though. Maybe with some sport insoles inside them, they'd help a little?

They do? There's an elverys at home so I might do that at the weekend.
    Only some of them, the crescent do it upstairs, assuming you're still in limerick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Lifestyle have a foot measurement thing i dunno what its called tbh :P
    Im 9 and a half (awkward size) they order in boots in that size for me no hassle anytime i ever went in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

From experience, I'd say you have fallen arches. Just get some insoles in a chemist, I found Scholl to be very good, pop them in every piece of footwear as you go and your problem will stop. There is no need for sport insoles. Any decent pair will do.

I got mine from a lecturer on the sports therapy/sports science courses in Carlow IT. I'd had ones from a physio practice in Dublin that he said were completely the incorrect type for me. How much training in gait analysis do you reckon a sales assistant trying to get you to buy the dearest pair of Asics running shoes will have? Running shoes will have a bigger effect to compliment different gaits. Football boots wont.

Those predators have an insole with an element that sits into the sole of the boot. I tried to fit my insoles in them with the given insole and there wasn't enough room. Without i had a big hollow under the middle of my forefoot that was very uncomfortable.

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Lifestyle have a foot measurement thing i dunno what its called tbh :P
    Im 9 and a half (awkward size) they order in boots in that size for me no hassle anytime i ever went in :)

9 1/2 is an extremely common size and most sports shops have lots in this size. Lifestyle are just awkward in that they don't stock any half sizes. Every online retailer will have 9.5 and they tend to sell out quickly because they are one of the most in demand.
    From experience, I'd say you have fallen arches. Just get some insoles in a chemist, I found Scholl to be very good, pop them in every piece of footwear as you go and your problem will stop. There is no need for sport insoles. Any decent pair will do.

It's possible she does. I wouldn't recommend stock insoles. She says she is playing every day and has shin pains. If she is serious about playing every day surely she should get the best device to compliment her physiology.

I have fallen arches in both feet and i have a congenital joint defect in my ankle. I found that losing weight has helped me but I would give huge credit to the bespoke orthotics i've had. The current pair i have especially.

You could contact the email on This Page to find your nearest practitioner offering them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I wouldn't recommend them. I've been playing for years with fallen arches. It's only when I went to the physio with a torn hamstring that he recommended fitted orthotics to me.

Without realising it my hamstring and calves have been rock hard for ages now. I have almost no flexibility in my legs. When we try to touch our toes in training for exercises I'm a good few inches off them. I'll be going back in a few weeks to get fitted for them. Hopefully that'll sort out the problem.

OP you should definitely investigate the fitted orthotics. My brother wears them for sports and he's practically lost without them. His back seizes up and all sorts. With them he's perfect though.

In my opinion they're worth splashing out on. It's something that will probably come back to haunt me in a few years if I don't find a solution for it now. Take good care of the orthotics and they should do you for a decent number of years, bringing down the cost.

I wouldn't recommend them. I've been playing for years with fallen arches. It's only when I went to the physio with a torn hamstring that he recommended fitted orthotics to me.

Without realising it my hamstring and calves have been rock hard for ages now. I have almost no flexibility in my legs. When we try to touch our toes in training for exercises I'm a good few inches off them. I'll be going back in a few weeks to get fitted for them. Hopefully that'll sort out the problem.

OP you should definitely investigate the fitted orthotics. My brother wears them for sports and he's practically lost without them. His back seizes up and all sorts. With them he's perfect though.

In my opinion they're worth splashing out on. It's something that will probably come back to haunt me in a few years if I don't find a solution for it now. Take good care of the orthotics and they should do you for a decent number of years, bringing down the cost.

Jeez, I'm like you in that I don't get any where near my ankles when I try to touch my toes! I'm extremely inflexible. Thankfully, I haven't had any problems with my hamstrings yet but the shin splints are a killer. I had to sit out training today coz of them and a groin injury.
    If I do lunges, I can feel pain in my arches too.

Might make an appointment with an orthotics place in Galway or Dublin before buying new boots.

They actually do Orthotics out of the physio part of the centre I'm doing the soccer course in. Fair handy that! I'll take a walk in on Monday and see if they'll do it cheaper seeing as I'm in there everyday and we get a discount for everything else! No harm in trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭SM01

If you're experiencing pain in your legs or feet then you should (in my humble opinion) get a professional assessment done by a physio or ideally a podiatrist with a background in treating sports related conditions. I've been wearing orthotics for 17 years and found off-the-shelf orthotics more miss than hit. For instance, my particular foot-type gives rise to a soft tissue equinus condition (i can't bring my toes the necessary 90 + 10 degrees toward my shin which is essential in normal gait) I need a simple heel raise as part of my orthotic support or else I suffer calf strains and achilles pain. Off the shelf won't cater for that and there isn't a hope in hell that the guys in elverys will diagnose something like that.

Jeez, I'm like you in that I don't get any where near my ankles when I try to touch my toes! I'm extremely inflexible. Thankfully, I haven't had any problems with my hamstrings yet but the shin splints are a killer. I had to sit out training today coz of them and a groin injury.
    If I do lunges, I can feel pain in my arches too.

Might make an appointment with an orthotics place in Galway or Dublin before buying new boots.

And my hamstring is after going again tonight. Absolute fúcking nightmare. Pulled it 2 months ago and haven't really been back since bar the odd run. Went at the end of training. I think I'm ready to cry here.

Back to the physio for me again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭SM01

It's soul-destroying having a freshly healed muscle going again shortly after resuming training :-(

SM01 wrote: »
    It's soul-destroying having a freshly healed muscle going again shortly after resuming training :-(

It's bad but the worst feeling is having it go 45 minutes into the new season. I spent 2 and a half months in pre-season. Managed 6 goals in 5 games where I got 45 minutes in each game. Top scorer for us by a long way and even got to captain the team one day. I was in the form of my life and had nailed down a starting spot for the first time in years and then it went.

That was 9 weeks ago this Sunday. I've missed 6 games since then and I'll be missing another few by the looks of it now.

I suppose it could be worse I could have a broken leg or be dead or something shít like that.

I'd recommend professional advice to anyone who has problems with their legs or anything. I'll be going to a different physio this time I reckon and then sorting out my orthotics. Please god I'll see an improvement with the tightness of my legs after that and maybe I might even get to play a game again before the end of the season :pac:.

Advertisement