Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Is that actually a good thing???!!!

You cant forget how he was playing at the beginning of the season but he was playing well for ~10-15 games before he fractured his cheekbone tbf.

Also, its good to show up referees that think they can perform like McLean did. He had a terrible performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

bobmalooka wrote: »
    Brewster wrote: »
    Nothing simple at all about this situation. The reason Rangers are in administration is because of not paying of tax since Whyte took over from what've read??
    Please keep up.

You are correct in saying Rangers are in administration because Whyte has not paid taxes since the takeover. This money may or may not have been used by Rangers. Without accounts we dont know, there is a chance Whyte has pocketed it himself.

We are talking about the the big tax bill accrued during the Murray era, this money has been spent by Rangers and has contributed to Rangers success from the Advocat era to the Whyte era. Ye have yet to suffer the consequences of the big tax case fraud.

I along with a few others think that when Rangers are found guilty of this fraud, that all titles which this illegally gained money helped to secure should be voided.

Please feel free to ask questions.

First of all. I am not a Rangers fan, can we clear this up once and for all? Using the word 'ye' insinuates I am. No need for any questions. Rangers need to be punished if they are found guilty like anyone else. It's simple as. No question.

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/uk/industries/sportsbusinessgroup/sports/football/deloitte-football-money-league-2011/66f55ec578ffd210VgnVCM2000001b56f00aRCRD.htm#1

Celtic have the 10th highest matchday revenue in Europe
    Most strikingly, only three clubs from outside Europe’s ‘big five’ leagues feature in any of our rankings. The Glasgow giants, Celtic and Rangers have not appeared in the Money League since 2006/07 and 2005/06 respectively but they still generated the 10th and 14th highest matchday revenues owing to their phenomenal support. Each club has average league attendances in excess of 45,000. However, the limited size of their domestic broadcast market means that, barring UEFA Champions League success, neither club is likely to reappear in the Money League top 20 in the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Dempsey wrote: »

An astonishing stat...

Celtic have the 10th biggest Matchday revenue in the world which shows how hampered we are by lack of TV money. Spurs in 9th place earn just over a million a year and they do so by playing matches against the like of Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool etc… Celtic do so against the like of St Mirren, Hearts, Kilmarnock, Inverness Caledonian Thistle. In fact if any of those teams brought any kind of supporters to Celtic Park then they'd be ahead of Spurs no bother.

The figures show how big Celtic could be if they got out of Scotland.

It also shows why alot of clubs wouldnt vote a club like Celtic into their league. i.e. Turkeys dont vote for christmas

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=2194
    IN response to comments made by First Minister Alex Salmond, the club have released the following statement:

“We are very disappointed with the First Minister’s claims that Celtic ‘need’ Rangers and that Celtic ‘can't prosper unless Rangers are there’”.

"This is simply not true. In a series of interviews given just three days ago, we made it abundantly clear that Celtic has a well-defined strategy and a business plan independent of the fortunes of any other club. That remains absolutely the case.

“The predicament of Rangers is clearly a serious and complex matter with a whole range of possible outcomes.

“However, we are extremely well-qualified to make our own position clear and have no wish to see this being misrepresented for political reasons .”

Reading what Salmond said this morning made my blood boil. Politicians should keep their views on footballing matters to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Reading what Salmond said this morning made my blood boil. Politicians should keep their views on footballing matters to themselves.

Too bloody right it was an outragous statement to make, especially when the HMRC havent even issued a ruling yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I havent gotten personal.

Really? So you dont think this is 'personal'?
    You have confirmed to everyone that you dont have an intelligent/informed thing to say but continue, as usual, to talk shíte.

Really? So you dont think this is 'personal'?

His post was clearly wrong as he ignored the the 'big tax case' in his ramblings. I also pointed out that he's done this type of thing before. I was always referring to his posts, never him. Strongly worded, yes. Personal, no.

Why should they keep quiet about football? Like it or not rangers is a huge institution that commands fervrent support among a large section of the population. Thousands of young men define themselves in terms of their support for the cub. He is the first minister and this is a huge issue for the scottish game, of course the govt is going to have an opinion. Football doesnt exist in some vacuum outwith the rest of society, especially not in Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

Why should they keep quiet about football? Like it or not rangers is a huge institution that commands fervrent support among a large section of the population. Thousands of young men define themselves in terms of their support for the cub. He is the first minister and this is a huge issue for the scottish game, of course the govt is going to have an opinion. Football doesnt exist in some vacuum outwith the rest of society, especially not in Scotland.

Fair enough he is entitled to his opinion.

But for him to start spouting the line that Celtic need them is wrong. I must say I was delighted and very proud of our club after reading the club statement in reference to Salmonds claims. To see us come out so clearly and in so public a fashion that we are our own club club was brilliant.

I have said it before and will say it again not only do Celtic not need them but all of Scottish football will be better off if they cease to exist.

I dont remember this sort of political posturing when Celtic were close to the wall. Celtic made their position clear, he went off misrepresenting it for his own agenda. Celtic hit back re-iterating their position. We shouldnt have to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I dont remember this sort of political posturing when Celtic were close to the wall. Celtic made their position clear, he went off misrepresenting it for his own agenda. Celtic hit back re-iterating their position. We shouldnt have to do that.
    Could be the Establishment?

One of the biggest issues for me which needs to be emphasized out of all the goings in Govan is their financial cheating. Basically for years and including this very season with the latest 9m they have engaged in financial doping on a massive scale and as a result have denied Celtic and other clubs titles, cups and possible European qualifications as a result. If they do survive I think it is important they are saddled with heavy punishments for all their financial cheating and that this whole issue needs to be highlighted.

eire4 wrote: »
    One of the biggest issues for me which needs to be emphasized out of all the goings in Govan is their financial cheating. Basically for years and including this very season with the latest 9m they have engaged in financial doping on a massive scale and as a result have denied Celtic and other clubs titles, cups and possible European qualifications as a result. If they do survive I think it is important they are saddled with heavy punishments for all their financial cheating and that this whole issue needs to be highlighted.

That's fantasy chat! What title and cups have Rangers cost any club this season as a result of the 9m unpaid tax?! All the 9m unpaid tax has done is place them in administration, resulting in a ten point penalty, and guaranteed Celtic their first title in four seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That's fantasy chat! What title and cups have Rangers cost any club this season as a result of the 9m unpaid tax?! All the 9m unpaid tax has done is place them in administration, resulting in a ten point penalty, and guaranteed Celtic their first title in four seasons.

The administration was because of Rangers witholding the tax and insurance their staff paid. That is the taxpayer that is being defrauded because Rangers have cash flow problems. Essentially, Rangers were trying to compete with Celtic but could not afford to therefore they withold money that is due to the taxpayer.

As for the other tax issue, if they lose that one, they will have cheated their way to all sorts of silverware.

I don't remember much of the political reaction from that time either but i fail to see what relevance that has now? I'm sure many politicinas offered opinions. Scotland has much more political independence and has it's own de facto Prime Minister so of course he is going to offer his viewpoint. Who would have been his equivalent back in those days anyway? Why you think politiicans shouldnt comment on such an important issue , i do find rather strange. Of course they should on issues this huge.

And fair play to celtic for making their position clear. Of course we can all remember previous statements promising to strengthen the squad, progress in Europe etc etc. I'm especially referring to Desmonds brave talk after winning the league at Dundee Utd. Was all bull****.

D'ya know what, ive been defending you on here lately cos i thought you were getting a raw deal but honest to god you dont seem to grasp the realities of the situation with rangers at all. they have been cheating for years, its not just the £9m withheld this season that has them in the mess they are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Why you think politiicans shouldnt comment on such an important issue , i do find rather strange. Of course they should on issues this huge.

Because the governing bodies of football take a dim view of the sport being interfered with by politicians is why.

If he wants to express an opinion that Celtic can't succeed without Rangers that is fine, but calling for HMRC to do a special deal with Rangers for no other reason but that it would benefit Scottish football and with no consideration for justice and a fitting punishment being administered is political interference and is completely inappropriate.

• Advertisement

The administration was because of Rangers witholding the tax and insurance their staff paid. That is the taxpayer that is being defrauded because Rangers have cash flow problems. Essentially, Rangers were trying to compete with Celtic but could not afford to therefore they withold money that is due to the taxpayer.

As for the other tax issue, if they lose that one, they will have cheated their way to all sorts of silverware.

Yes and thankfully it didn't work and they were punished. Rightly so. They have no one to blame but themselves.

D'ya know what, ive been defending you on here lately cos i thought you were getting a raw deal but honest to god you dont seem to grasp the realities of the situation with rangers at all. they have been cheating for years, its not just the £9m withheld this season that has them in the mess they are in.

It hasn't gone unnoticed Coillte, as I said to you before. I have got a hard time here since time zip!! The outcome of the other tax case is not known yet and as such accusations of cheating are premature and not entirely fair!

Because the governing bodies of football take a dim view of the sport being interfered with by politicians is why.

And we're all big fans of sporting governing bodies aren't we, SFA, SPL UEFA, FIFA to mention just a few. And so what if these bodies dont like govts interfering? Govts have a responsibility to the wider society. Now i'm not agreeing with what sammond said but it's pure nonsense to suggest that govts shouldnt intervene in the sporting world if they feel it is the best interest of the community. Maybe they should also withdraw all sports funding as well?
    If he wants to express an opinion that Celtic can't succeed without Rangers that is fine, but calling for HMRC to do a special deal with Rangers for no other reason but that it would benefit Scottish football and with no consideration for justice and a fitting punishment being administered is political interference and is completely inappropriate.

I didnt realise this (bit in bold), that changes things i suppose but still if he feels it is in the best interest of scottish football it's his perogative to say so, however much we may disagree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

It's annoying that there is an agenda and not a very subtle one that appears to be trying to put pressure on the administrators to be lenient on RFC because RFC is so "important" to Scottish football as a whole including Celtic FC. Alex Salmond being the latest in a long line to make comments to that affect. There are so many of them at it that even some Celtic fans believe it too.

Wake up lads; we do NOT need Rangers. They are not going to disappear anyway, they'll just be in the doldrums for a while, but even if they were to disappear Celtic could still flourish without them. I'm of the view that what is happening at RFC is actually a good thing for Celtic, it gives Celtic the opportunity to focus on European exploits confident in the knowledge that they will be champions in Scotland and will have a prime opportunity to qualify for the CL group stages on a regular basis. This agenda to try to get RFC off the hook is being promoted by Rangers fans. RFC should get hammered by the administrators for their cheating and financial doping over the years. Celtic FC are correct and right to be angry with Salmond and others who are peddling an RFC agenda.

Fans of Celtic should be wide to this agenda too. Rangers need to sort themselves out and the administrators should be left to do their job without interference of any kind. Celtic DON'T need Rangers to flourish. Celtic need to crack on and build a team that can compete in the CL group stages on a regular basis.

It hasn't gone unnoticed Coillte, as I said to you before. I have got a hard time here since time zip!! The outcome of the other tax case is not known yet and as such accusations of cheating are premature and not entirely fair!

rangers have admitted for a long time now that they do have a tax liability from the big tax case, they just dispute the liability. accusations are not premature. if you knew what you are talking about, youd know this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17077037

Celtic manager Neil Lennon believes winning the Scottish Premier League title this season would not be devalued by Rangers' financial plight.
    "There will be no devaluing a title win, regardless of what goes on elsewhere; because it's nothing to do with our club, nothing to do with these players," said Lennon.

"My aim is to win the league."

"If people want to point the finger if, and it's a big if, we win the title then I will have plenty to say about devaluing titles, don't worry about that," he added.

"It is obviously a very difficult time for the people at the club (Rangers). For a club of that stature to be in this situation is a nonsense really, absolutely nonsense.

"I have sympathy for my counterpart Ally McCoist for what he is going through at the minute. I wouldn't like to have gone through that myself, particularly in my first season as manager.

"As regards sympathy for the rest of the people who brought this on, I don't have much of that at all."

"It won't be (finished) until we get across the finishing line," he added.

"As far as we are concerned we are fully committed to what we are trying to achieve here. There will be no slacking off, but there never was in the first place.

"My aim is to win the league. If we win it by one point, it doesn't matter, I will be delighted."

Lennon is trying to manage expectations, I wonder if him and the team continue to get the very positive support that they have been getting all season or will it turn into the 'entertain me/expecting a win' negativity that blighted Strachans reign.

I like the way he talked about devalued titles :D

• Advertisement

Gordon Strachan on BBC 5 Live now. He says that the thing Celtic will miss is the derbies with Rangers. But other than that Strachan said Celtic could actually benefit financially because they'd get all the sponsorship and CL money once they qualified for the group stages.

That's exactly what I think, Rangers difficulty is Celtic's opportunity in the short term at least and Rangers will be back in action out of admin in a couple of seasons anyway. Celtic should make hay in the meantime.

I will restate again what I said before. For years they have been engaged in financial doping and that includes the admission by the administrators that 9m in tax money has been used to fund the club since Whyte took over toward the end of last season. So firstly that would apply to last seasons title. It would also apply to the fact they should not have been allowed compete in Europe this season thus opening up another spot in Europe in both the Champions League and Europa League early rounds. But as my post said they have been cheating financially for years. That is what the big tax case is about. Plus lets not forget the small one also.

If they manage to survive I am saying it is vitally important that they face very heavy punishments directly realted to their financial doping.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

I think it'll be possible to win the league at Ibrox at this rate :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

A week after Paddy's Day? I'll end up in the Drunk Tank, I guess :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Yeah, I reckon by that stage we will be too far ahead of Motherwell for them to catch us :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Lars1916 wrote: »
    A week after Paddy's Day? I'll end up in the Drunk Tank, I guess :pac:

It's gameweek 31...so 7 weeks and 21 points left after it. Gap is currently 14 and could grow to 17 tomorrow. So in that scenario Rangers would have to drop at least two points in the remaining three games before: @ Inverness, Hearts at home and @ Dundee. Should they drop more than 7 points there, we'd actually have the title won going into the game!

With the gap at 19, a win at Ibrox would clearly win us the league as we'd be 22 ahead with 21 left on the board.:D

Just to clarify scenarios should Celtic win out in the meantime:
    Rangers drop 2 points from next 3 games: We win the league with a win at Ibrox
    Rangers drop 5 points from next 3 games: We win the league with a draw at Ibrox
    Rangers drop 8 points from next 3 games: We win the league before the match at Ibrox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Apparently there's a party on tomorrow at 3 :)

We need to concentrate on winning at Easter Road first

We need to concentrate on winning at Easter Road first

Absolutely. A quick goal or two hopefully and the place will be jumping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

ColeTrain wrote: »

Yup, it's years since I've looked forward to a run of the mill SPL game this much!!!

Yup, it's years since I've looked forward to a run of the mill SPL game this much!!!

The football has taken a backseat the last week. Looking forward to see us getting back to business. 17 point gap and a party, that would top the week off!

Has anyone seen Parkhead 67 btw? Probably on the beer for the week :D

I think tomorrows game in a different way is going to be a tough one. Lennon and the players have to have been following everything that has been going on in what has been an extraordinary week. That presents it's own distraction.

But facts are we have won absolutely nothing yet. We need to show a real strong and focused mentality tomorrow. Hopefully we can produce a big performance akin to our last trip to the capital and send out another big time message.

I am hoping Stokes gets the start as well. I think he will be really hungry and good for a goal or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Looking forward to a good game today. We have a big advantage now and with the players knowing that I hope they don't take their foot off the gas. We have to be relentless and maintain our good form and treat it as a must win game despite the gap. I think the team is more mature this season and can continue the form :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

The football has taken a backseat the last week. Looking forward to see us getting back to business. 17 point gap and a party, that would top the week off!

Has anyone seen Parkhead 67 btw? Probably on the beer for the week :D
    hes looking for his computer beneth the jelly and ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Well in stokesy :)

• Advertisement

Well in Hooper :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Well, you got them!

"One down, one to go" eh Hibs? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

whats the possibility of winning the title at ibrox ....

22/02 Dunfermline Athletic H
    25/02 Motherwell H

Mar 2012
    03/03 Aberdeen A
    25/03 Rangers A
    31/03 St Johnstone H

Apr 2012
    07/04 Kilmarnock A

:)

Police would probably move the game though ...

We're going to have the title in the bag in no time. The competition for places should help to keep the standards up. Stokesy making a claim for a return to the starting line up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Embarrassing now tbh. Hibs are absolutely shocking, because Celtic are not even in 2nd gear in this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hooper is even starting to look like like RVP now :D

In cruise control now.

Frightening how good that squad is. All of the subs would walk into the Rangers team bar Zaluzka.

Scoring by accident now ffs! :D 0-5, Ki.

• Advertisement

Ledley hits the bar. Hibs are been run ragged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement