Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30 30 lever action

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Brokeback Mountain!

never actually saw that movie....:p

True Grit, be more my style of western :cool:

yeeehaaa....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

rowa wrote: »
    Is cowboy action shooting actually banned or is it that no one ever got around to organizing it in ireland ?

That's a good question. It isn't really practical shooting, is it?
    It'd be hard to do it without the right pistols and black powder though :(

rowa wrote: »
    Is cowboy action shooting actually banned or is it that no one ever got around to organizing it in ireland ?

't would have to be an oirish interpretation of the sport, rim fire calibres only, :o.

At a typical Cowboy shoot, most ranges are set up to shoot between five and seven stages in one day. The stages are set up to simulate a different old west shoot out scenario. Each time you go to a Cowboy shoot, the scenarios change. One time you might be at the O.K. Corral shooting it out with the Clantons and McLowerys. The next time you go, you may have to get on a saddled wooden horse, rifle in scabbard, sixgun in hand and shoot your way out of an ambush. The targets you shoot are usually steel plates. Guns are loaded at a designated loading area set up next to each stage. An appointed range safety person supervises the loading of all guns prior to the contestant shooting that stage. Unloading is done in the same manner.

The guns that are used are the same type your great-great grandfather (or maybe great-great grandmother) may have used. Single Action revolvers, double barrel shotguns and lever action rifles (chambered in a pistol caliber) are guns most often used in these matches.

Oh yeah, one of the most important rules is come dressed as a cowboy. Come join in on the fastest growing shooting sport. You'll have one heck of a great time and meet some of the nicest folks around.

this was taken from this link

http://www.atlanticguns.com/cowboyaction.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Hibrion wrote: »
    That's a good question. It isn't really practical shooting, is it?
    It'd be hard to do it without the right pistols and black powder though :(

Yup.

Not many cowboys/gals had .22/9mm/.357 Tanfoglios/Berettas/Walthers/Smith & Wessons...

Without that cloud of white smoke getting in your eyes in the rapid shooting sections, who knows how well you might be shooting?

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Cowboy axtion shooting sounds like great fun and what i have seen on youtube of it , looks to be great fun , so knowing the mindset of the ptb it must be banned.

thought I'd stick this up there for those who are interested

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100726101057000

you can find out the year it was made here

http://www.savage99.com/winchester1894_dates.htm

you wont get cheaper than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

tac foley wrote: »
    Sadly, Sir - it was not military issue at all.
    tac

sorry i should have made my post clearer, i meant the single action army.
    i'd love a single action army and another 94 chambered in 45lc:cool::cool::cool:

picked mine up to day,
    put a box of rounds through it to see how it fired and all I have to say is,.. amazing
    it had a scope on it and I'd say we (Poulo and I)were easily getting 11/2" groups at 100yds
    we spent the rest of the evening completely dismantling it and gave it a thorough clean

anyone know where we can get some 30-30 ammo in a hurry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wonder how we would manage with the Oirish cowboy action shooting with our rather long barrelled,as required by law here double barrel shotguns,or 1897 Winchester pump or 1893 lever action shotguns??:(
    Anywhere else they can be 20 or 18 in long.Not exactly gunfighter lengths now.

A comparision would be
    [With all due deference to those fans of Irish country&western music here.]
    I just doesnt look and sound right!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

could it not come under classic rifle shooting....strong argument for as the are among the oldest repeating rifles

even thinking of Irish C&W music makes me cringe :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

If ever a firearm came under the heading of 'classic', it has to be ANY of the under-lever designs, from 1866 onwards, regardless of calibre.

Sadly, they don't make the best gun for target use at extended ranges, but then, that's not what they were meant for.

Stick to a 100yds/, and you'll be good.

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Well i finally got the licence today, seven months all in all from buying the gun sorting out getting it shipped, getting the deer licence etc..and then getting the firearms cert. My head has been wrecked but i'm glad it's all over now only have to get the import licence now, so i should have her in my hands in a week or two can't wait. :cool::cool::D:D:D:P

4gun wrote: »
    picked mine up to day,
    put a box of rounds through it to see how it fired and all I have to say is,.. amazing
    it had a scope on it and I'd say we (Poulo and I)were easily getting 11/2" groups at 100yds
    we spent the rest of the evening completely dismantling it and gave it a thorough clean

anyone know where we can get some 30-30 ammo in a hurry

I used some forrest bore foam on the barrel and it came out like new,when I first went to see the gun I thought the bore was pitted, it turned out to be perfect.
    sanded down and refinished the woodwork to remove the few minor scratches and dings a I have to do a few small bits of rebluing on a few rings
    Myself and Poulo fired it on open sights on Sunday with what was left fo the few rounds I had and now I just cant wait to turn it on a deer
    going to be a long summer :D

Poulo has some video He might post if asked nicely

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement