Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Why are people leaving out Lennon? Would think he's a cert, he's been outstanding for Spurs for 2 seasons now. Kyle Walker is also a cert. My team;

GK: J Hart, R Green S Carson,

Def: G Johnson, M Richards, A Cole, L Baines, J Terry, R Ferdinand, G, Cahill, K Walker

Mid: T Walcott, A Young, A Lennon, J Milner, G Barry, F Lampard, S Parker, S Gerrard

Fwd: W Rooney, D Welbeck, A Carroll, J Defoe

Smalling, Sturridge and Crouch would be unlucky to miss out, can't see either of them going though, unless Johnson or Richards (who isn't playing much these days) is dropped. As for Paul Robinson he's retired from international duty.

If Scott Parker starts England will be in trouble, he's been quite poor recently, that said I can see him being captain and playing every minute.

My team;

Hart
    Walker - Terry - Rio - Cole
    ----Parker ---- Barry
    Lampard
    Lennon
    Young
    Welbeck

I'd like to Baines at LB but Cole has been doing well recently so probably has LB nailed down. Lennon is better than Walcott, end of. Whoever starts RB in the first game could be unlucky because I fancy Ribery against any of them, which could prompt that person to lose their place.

It'll be interesting to watch England this summer, I reckon Woy might actually make a decent go of it. If they get to the semi's, quarters if they finish second, they'll be shown up big time. Spain will tear them apart, the Barca and Real contingent will be very fired up after their poor showing (by their standards) in the Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Crouch absolutely has to go instead of Carroll!?!(that's saying if one should go!)

Crouch has been great all year for Stoke and while Carroll is playing a bit better now for Liverpool of late Crouch is by far the better player. His record for England speaks for itself.. I think he's completely underated by England because he looks hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

THFC wrote: »

Def: G Johnson, M Richards, A Cole, L Baines, J Terry, R Ferdinand, G, Cahill, K Walker

5 fullbacks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Heskey maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Crouch absolutely has to go instead of Carroll!?!(that's saying if one should go!)

Crouch has been great all year for Stoke and while Carroll is playing a bit better now for Liverpool of late Crouch is by far the better player. His record for England speaks for itself.. I think he's completely underated by England because he looks hilarious!

Don't agree. If Crouch was playing trying to justify a 35mil price tag we'd all say he's playing rubbish in that case.

Think Carroll is a good aul honest player who throws himself about a bit and has started to score recently. Tbh I'd prefer him than someone who is pushed off the ball and doesn't exert themselves (not Crouch by the way). Tbh I'd bring them both

• Advertisement

Can't see how people are leaving out Lescott, should be in the team by rights in my view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Can't see how people are leaving out Lescott, should be in the team by rights in my view

Not necessarily in the team but definitely in the squad imo, so underrated. He's been excellent all season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

G.K. wrote: »
    As an Englishman (Partly anyway), this is the squad I want to see:

GK: Hart, Stockdale, Ruddy
    DEF: Richards, Walker, Terry, Cahill, Cole Baines, Smalling
    MID: Parker, Jones, Britton, Howson, Gerrard, Chamberlain, Young, Johnson, Milner
    FOR: Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Holt

3 Norwich players in the squad. I love you man! :D Ruddy has been awesome for us, Howson was in unbelievable form against Arsenal and what a signing he is turning out to be. Holt is a handful for any defence and again, Arsenal found out how difficult it was to mark him. Also scored against all the "top clubs" this season.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    5 fullbacks?
    I'm taking the easy option and sitting on the fence regarding who'll be dropped out of Johnson, Richards and Walker :o. Smalling will probably make it, completely forgot about Lescott, he's in with a shout too, Cahill shouldn't go ahead of those 2 but he's played more for England recently so probably will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm taking the easy option and sitting on the fence regarding who'll be dropped out of Johnson, Richards and Walker :o. Smalling will probably make it, completely forgot about Lescott, he's in with a shout too, Cahill shouldn't go ahead of those 2 but he's played more for England recently so probably will.

Johnson should be the 1 to go of the 3. The other 2 have been outstanding. I think its unfortunate for Johnson because he'd be a starter for many countries but those are the ropes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Why are people leaving out Lennon? Would think he's a cert, he's been outstanding for Spurs for 2 seasons now.

6 goals and ten assists in two years isn't outstanding.

Ethrington has been better ffs.

gosplan wrote: »

Statistics aren't everything. His pace is a huge asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's a tough call tbf.

Richards to miss out perhaps? fcuk knows

There's more to a players game than just stats. He's an old fashioned winger, he stays on the wing and stretches the defence right across. When himself and Bale play (and Bale actaully stays on the fookin wing) it creates so much space in the middle. Walcott drifts in far too much for a player with limited technical ability, and I'd rate Lennon as a much better crosser of the ball, his crossing has improved immensely the past year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

CSF wrote: »
    Statistics aren't everything. His pace is a huge asset.

But it doesn't set him apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Lennon > Walcott imo

But it doesn't set him apart.

Together with other aspects of his game, it does. He is easily good enough to be in the squad considering the quality of wingers available to England at present.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Lennon > Walcott imo

Easily. Walcott is pretty poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

If I was picking i'd bring johnson and richards, I think walker is overhyped and the other two can attack just as well as him but also defend better. Walkers pace saves him a lot when his positioning is rubbish.

Saying that Johnson was rumoured to have fallen out with Hodgson when at Liverpool so wouldnt be suprised to see him not selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Paul Robinson has been very good for Blackburn this season, despite having way too many average players around him. He would have been a shoo in if he didn't retire - he must regret it privately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Out of interest did Capello have a definite first choice XI during his time with England (eg the way the Ireland team is pretty much picks itself)?

I realise because of the new manager there's speculation about which players will make the squad but it seemed to me that there was always many many players in contention for England call-ups at any given time rather than a settled 23 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Walker will be in team nevermind the squad
    Richards isnt first choice for city anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

when you the england squad on paper, you realise how limited it is.

as a united fan, if it comes down to chris smalling v phil jones, i would expect smalling to be picked, as he is a far superior defender and overall a much better footballer.

rio ferdinand will be in the squad if fit and him and terry will start their first game. a bit surprised to see virtually nobody pick carrick who has been excellent for united this year,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

as a united fan, if it comes down to chris smalling v phil jones, i would expect smalling to be picked, as he is a far superior defender and overall a much better footballer.

rio ferdinand will be in the squad if fit and him and terry will start their first game. a bit surprised to see virtually nobody pick carrick who has been excellent for united this year,
    Aye Carrick deserves to be pick after a great season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Carrick is missing the key attribute for international games - reaction under pressure. England will come under lots of pressure and pressing, and Carrick is unsuited to that. Pity as much of the rest of his game is good.

He won't make it either way as Parker is perceived as a guaranteed starter and will probably get the captaincy which is a poor decision imo.

Also, I'd play Barry over Carrick any day and as he played throughout qualification and as his form has been very good for City recently. If Capello was in charge no way Rio would make it. It now seems the only way that Rio won't start is if he chooses not to himself! Though I'd have Lescott in. Thought he was poor last year has improved in leaps and bounds this season.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Walker will be in team nevermind the squad
    Richards isnt first choice for city anymore

It's cos he was injured and Zabaleta did so well in his absence they couldn't drop him when Richards returned (United last week). Richards is still City's first choice right back strictly speaking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Heskey and michael owen before they retire. Before it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Def: G Johnson, M Richards, A Cole, L Baines, J Terry, R Ferdinand, G, Cahill, P Jones
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Ashley Cole
    Leighton Baines
    Micah Richards
    Chris Smalling (cover RB and CB)
    John Terry
    Rio Ferdinand
    Gary Cahill
    Kyle Walker

All leaving out the best performing English centre half this season, for shame.

At least someone's on the ball.
    cgpg5 wrote: »

^^^ Correct

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

If Terry or Cahill is injured then I wouldn't take the other one, and Lescott would start. As it is, I think the value of such a partnership (And with Cole too) takes priority, and there's no way Smalling's not going. And I'm only taking 3 CB. (Jones as well but as a utility man).

Advertisement