Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,220 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

£100 million? Yeah right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

100m?
    Clyne
    Gotze
    Hazard

Wouldn't cost close to it.

Is there any need for more than 2 cm and a lb?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Eathrin wrote: »
    100m?
    Clyne
    Gotze
    Hazard

You'd have a fair chunk of change left out of 100m even after those three!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Eathrin wrote: »
    100m?
    Clyne
    Gotze
    Hazard

Wouldn't cost close to it.

Is there any need for more than 2 cm and a lb?

Is Clyne not a RB?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Good post I doff my cap to your fastidious defence of Rooney! That is genuinely an exceptional riposte and I stand corrected on the facts.
    Fair play.
    Now isn't easier* to debate with facts and points as opposed to e-strutting around like a little banter cock calling people retarded. ;)
    Hmm, you called the first reactions to your Rooney argument brain dead, I called your argument retarded. Seems like we were both at it a bit. I think I did get a little too aggressive though and I apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Pro. F wrote: »
    Fair play.

Hmm, you called the first reactions to your Rooney argument brain dead, I called your argument retarded. Seems like we were both at it a bit. I think I did get a little too aggressive though and I apologise.

Are you no longer a mod???

tvercetti wrote: »
    Are you no longer a mod???

Joke?

Joke?

No, thought you were a mod yesterday, thought ye were talking about it in here.

Hope I didnt cause offence, I always read your posts, your a top poster, I don't necessarily agree always but at least you don't talk sh!t like some.

No, thought you were a mod yesterday, thought ye were talking about it in here.

Hope I didnt cause offence, I always read your posts, your a top poster, I don't necessarily agree always but at least you don't talk sh!t like some.

Nope, wasn't me. Maybe you were thinking of G.K. He posts in here a fair bit and has just become a mod.

Certainly no offence taken and thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Would love to see Berba play Sunday. Well, if he was even near match fit. Chico is completely out of form in terms of link up play and has a dose of 'second-season-syndrome'. Welbeck is out with an injury which means we'll more than likely line up with Rooney up top on his own with Valencia and Young down the wings, and any one of Carrick, Scholes, Keane, Butt, Ince or Blackmore through the midfield.

Ah Berba, if only.

Did you know that not including Thierry Henry, going into last week Javier Hernandez had the 3rd best goals to minutes ratio in the Premier League behind Sergio Aguero and Papiss Cisse?

I've noticed this "2nd season syndrome" thing pop up, and to be honest, the emergence of Welbeck and an injury lay-off mean he has not able to get up and running the way he did last year, where he hit most of his goals in the run-in. Therfore I find that a harsh judgement to come to. His build up play has been very poor, he has looked rusty, but without a decent run in the team how can he improve? Javier Hernandez has scored 12 goals this season, in my opinion, had he played more than a brief substitute role in games like Wigan, Aston Villa, QPR, Fulham, Everton and Norwich (not to mention last night vs City, how would we have done if we had the Rooney-Chich partnership that pushed us over the line last year?), he could definitely be pushing 20 again. I'm not saying Danny Welbeck should not be getting the time he is, in fact I think it will help both Danny, United and England in the future, I just don't think Javier has been utilised to full effect.

Nope, wasn't me. Maybe you were thinking of G.K. He posts in here a fair bit and has just become a mod.

Certainly no offence taken and thanks.

My bad :o................ Is mixing you up with G.K insulting???:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Did you know that not including Thierry Henry, going into last week Javier Hernandez had the 3rd best goals to minutes ratio in the Premier League behind Sergio Aguero and Papiss Cisse?

I've noticed this "2nd season syndrome" thing pop up, and to be honest, the emergence of Welbeck and an injury lay-off mean he has not able to get up and running the way he did last year, where he hit most of his goals in the run-in. Therfore I find that a harsh judgement to come to. His build up play has been very poor, he has looked rusty, but without a decent run in the team how can he improve? Javier Hernandez has scored 12 goals this season, in my opinion, had he played more than a brief substitute role in games like Wigan, Aston Villa, QPR, Fulham, Everton and Norwich (not to mention last night vs City, how would we have done if we had the Rooney-Chich partnership that pushed us over the line last year?), he could definitely be pushing 20 again. I'm not saying Danny Welbeck should not be getting the time he is, in fact I think it will help both Danny, United and England in the future, I just don't think Javier has been utilised to full effect.

Quoted for truth. Agree with this completely. When I see him on the pitch I have more confidence of him getting on the scoresheet than anyone else on the team. If he could sort out his build up play i think he would get the nod over Welbeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Without context, that stat looks good.

With context, its virtually meaningless.

He has played very little, so the few goals scored skew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Seriously? So were United to sign either they'd be a bust???

I've seen little of either player to be able to say whether they are limited in the number of systems they can play in.

So that pretty much rules out a raft of players as it is unlikely that Ferguson would stray too far from 4-4-2. Or would he? Is that the grand plan in your estimation?

lol, ah you thought you had something there didn't you.

It was a direct response to someone who put him in a 442, try harder next time little buddy.

kryogen wrote: »
    lol, ah you thought you had something there didn't you.

It was a direct response to someone who put him in a 442, try harder next time little buddy.

Ye Wha???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    If he could sort out his build up play i think he would get the nod over Welbeck.

If he coudl sort out being offside every other through ball he wouldn't halt the rhythm and pattern of a game so much. He upsets the natural flow more than not linking up well since his whole game is more suited to an off the shoulder play rather than a drop deep or a hold the ball up type of player.

United with £100m
    Banega (Proper CM; can tackle, pass, shoot, shuttle forward and backwards. Top quality and comfortable with the ball at his feet. Should be cheaper since he drove over his own foot)
    Cavani (Big bucks but proven Int and has scored against City)
    Gotze (Big bucks but got bags of talent and potentially more room for improvement)

If he coudl sort out being offside every other through ball he wouldn't halt the rhythm and pattern of a game so much. He upsets the natural flow more than not linking up well since his whole game is more suited to an off the shoulder play rather than a drop deep or a hold the ball up type of player.

United with £100m
    Banega (Proper CM; can tackle, pass, shoot, shuttle forward and backwards. Top quality and comfortable with the ball at his feet. Should be cheaper since he drove over his own foot)
    Cavani (Big bucks but proven Int and has scored against City)
    Gotze (Big bucks but got bags of talent and potentially more room for improvement)

In terms of strikers, Llorente would be first choice, Falcao second and Rick Van Wolfswinkle third as possesser or the best name in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

In terms of strikers, Llorente would be first choice, Falcao second and Rick Van Wolfswinkle third as possesser or the best name in football.
    Someone watched the Europa League Semi finals recently .

Someone watched the Europa League Semi finals recently .

Well I've seen a lot of Llorente and he is prove, established quality but I thought Van Wolfswinkle was good against City and Athletic (the only two times I've seen him play) and his European scoring record is decent. And look at the name!! How could you not like it!? Wolfswinkle...Wolf's winkle....

I'd love Llorente, but Van Wolfswinkle would not be up there on my list of targets, Falcao I'm not so sure of.

Llorente is not "gettable" though imo and if he was to leave my money would be on Barcelona snapping him up, he seems like he would be a good fit for them, he has turned into a great centre forward the last couple of years and is just hitting peak now.

I'd take Falcao as long the money wasn't ridiculous on second thoughts :D

• Advertisement

Well I've seen a lot of Llorente and he is prove, established quality but I thought Van Wolfswinkle was good against City and Athletic (the only two times I've seen him play) and his European scoring record is decent. And look at the name!! How could you not like it!? Wolfswinkle...Wolf's winkle....

Its actually pronounced Van Volfs-vinkle. Still hilarous.
    You might enjoy the brialliantly and aptly named former Wolfsburg manager; Wolfgang Wolf. A tabloid journo's dream.

As for Llorente, yes he is a fantastic player and greatly tipped for summer transfers but I doubt that he would go abroad this summer. With Biesla creating a dangerous and fluid Bilbao team with Llorent at its fulcrum he's getting goals, recognition and Spanish call ups every team. Next season they will challenge for 3rd and if he is to move I could only see him staying in Spain leaving it to either Real or Barca. Which would leave me to think Mourinho would love to get him at Real.

I'd love Llorente, but Van Wolfswinkle would not be up there on my list of targets, Falcao I'm not so sure of.

Llorente is not "gettable" though imo and if he was to leave my money would be on Barcelona snapping him up, he seems like he would be a good fit for them, he has turned into a great centre forward the last couple of years and is just hitting peak now.

I'd take Falcao as long the money wasn't ridiculous on second thoughts :D

I think Llorente could be Barca's evolutionary step myself. his touch is good enough for their general style of play and he has the aerial threat. Were they to sign him could it be curtains for Villa?

Van Wolfswinkle would be the only one of the three within United's transfer price range.

Its actually pronounced Van Volfs-vinkle. Still hilarous.
    You might enjoy the brialliantly and aptly named former Wolfsburg manager; Wolfgang Wolf. A tabloid journo's dream.

As for Llorente, yes he is a fantastic player and greatly tipped for summer transfers but I doubt that he would go abroad this summer. With Biesla creating a dangerous and fluid Bilbao team with Llorent at its fulcrum he's getting goals, recognition and Spanish call ups every team. Next season they will challenge for 3rd and if he is to move I could only see him staying in Spain leaving it to either Real or Barca. Which would leave me to think Mourinho would love to get him at Real.

When he was there Wolfgang Wolf of Wolfsburg was a favourite it must be confessed!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

The Daily Mail (I know...) are reporting that Welbeck will miss the last two games due to the injury sustained during the game on Monday. Chico to start on Sunday, or possibly one of our last chances to see Berba playing for United? :(

RVD420 wrote: »
    The Daily Mail (I know...) are reporting that Welbeck will miss the last two games due to the injury sustained during the game on Monday. Chico to start on Sunday, or possibly one of our last chances to see Berba playing for United? :(

Some journalist on Twitter last night reported he had bruising to a bone but would be ok for the euros.

I'm paraphrasing but it sounded like his club season was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Why are some people mentioning Gotze? He's commuted is future to Borussia Dortmund, he will not be moving to Man Utd or anywhere else for that matter. His teammate Shiji Kagawa has turned down a new contract however and looks to be a much more viable option for united, looks a good player too,

As for strikers, if we do buy one, I'll be very surprised if we buy a big name, can see us signing a lesser know young player a la Hernandez.

The player I would love to see in a utd top next year is Javi Martinez but I know that's very unlikely. Really don't think we'll see the mass exodus people are expecting at Bilbao this summer. Bielsa is building a great young square who are playing well together and look happy and harmonious, doubt many of them will be in any rush to leave. Possible Llorente to another Spanish club.

Regardless, We need to make a statement of intent with the chequebook this summer, our frailties have been shown up and exploited time and again this season, needs fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

J. Marston wrote: »
    £100 million? Yeah right.

Exactly believe it when I see it. Utd are not going to be big spenders in the transfer window anytime soon, the Glazers have seen to that. The midfield has been crying out for replacements for at least 4 seasons but it hasn't happened. Anderson is not going to the player everyone thought he was going to be when he first arrived, Scholes is a genius but can't keep going, Giggs isn't and never was a CM, Carrick is a good player and reads the game well but he needs a strong player beside him. I don't think Flectcher will get back to the level of 3-4 years ago and Cleverly appears to be injury prone.

Jones looks like an expensive version of John O'Shea, decent in a few positions but not particularly great in any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The midfield has been crying out for replacements for at least 4 seasons but it hasn't happened.

Hardly the Glazers fault is it. The £50 million+ provided last summer could have been used for a half-decent central midfielder if Fergie had seen fit. That was his decision, not the Glazers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Jones looks like an expensive version of John O'Shea, decent in a few positions but not particularly great in any of them.

He turned 20 a few months ago, had a few exception games early on in the season and failed to keep up that standard.

Give the man a chance! I personally think he will be a solid player for Utd and England for years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He's also ten or twelve years younger than O'Shea.

EVERY United squad has had a player like this since probably Ferguson began, certainly since they started to become extremely successful.

Johnny Ronsen, Phil Neville, then O'Shea now it looks like Jones could be that player, if he doesn't just make one position his own.

A player like this is essential to how United operate imo.

A player who will give his all and not complain about being "out of position" or not playing all the time, because invariably, he'll get games all over the pitch, plugging gaps. right full injured one week, centre half suspended, deep lying midfielder omn fifth yellow or whatever.

Someone in an about the squad on nearly every match day, ready to come on for an injured defender, help shore up a tight one or two goal lead or whatever.

Absolutely essential.

Hardly the Glazers fault is it. The £50 million+ provided last summer could have been used for a half-decent central midfielder if Fergie had seen fit. That was his decision, not the Glazers.

Well a new keeper was needed so thats 18m straight away. Young is a good player and IMO a better option than Nani, who is immensley skillful but more often than not takes the wrong option time and time again. Jones was bought for the future and again imo needs a big improvement in performances, but as others have pointed out he is still young. But yeah a new midfielder or two should have been bought, but other positions needed replacements too and 50m doesn't seem to go far these days.

Des wrote: »
    He's also ten or twelve years younger than O'Shea.

EVERY United squad has had a player like this since probably Ferguson began, certainly since they started to become extremely successful.

Johnny Ronsen, Phil Neville, then O'Shea now it looks like Jones could be that player, if he doesn't just make one position his own.

A player like this is essential to how United operate imo.

A player who will give his all and not complain about being "out of position" or not playing all the time, because invariably, he'll get games all over the pitch, plugging gaps. right full injured one week, centre half suspended, deep lying midfielder omn fifth yellow or whatever.

Someone in an about the squad on nearly every match day, ready to come on for an injured defender, help shore up a tight one or two goal lead or whatever.

Absolutely essential.

Yeah but Neville, Johnsen and O'Shea didn't cost anywhere near what Jones cost. He could turn out to be a great player for Utd, but huge improvements needed.

Does anybody remember this Spy Plane story:

http://sgforums.com/forums/2424/topics/233797
    United's training ground set-piece moves are pictured from above.

MYSTERY last night surrounded the whereabouts of aerial footage taken of Manchester United stars in top-secret training sessions.

It remained unclear who authorised the filming in a specially converted Cessna light aircraft and whether the material is destined for this country or abroad. The covert clips of players such as Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo working on tactics, formation, free kicks and penalties during the astonishing spying mission could be invaluable to rival clubs.

Videos and stills of the training were driven from a Derbyshire airfield to Heston Services on the M4 - a mile from Heathrow airport - and handed to a mystery client in a Chrysler Grand Voyager with blacked-out windows.

He shook hands with the delivery man - one of two on board the Cessna 172 Skyhawk commissioned by a photographic agency - then left after a 30-second encounter.

Earlier, the Mirror watched as the plane - registration G-CBME - passed over United's high-security training complex at Carrington while manager Sir Alex Ferguson would have been putting his team through their paces. The sky blue-striped Cessna, owned by a company called Skytrax Aviation, swooped down to about 1,500ft to get the best shots.

It is believed three other spying mission have been carried out. The one we saw was last Wednesday morning. Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and Paul Scholes were among the first-team squad training as the four-seater, single-engine plane - adapted to carry camera equipment - twice buzzed over them at 1,500ft between 11.45am and 11.50am.

A huge circular lens was clearly visible from the ground. A panel had been unscrewed from the belly of the plane providing a gap for both video and stills cameras to operate. The plane skirted around the edge of the heavily guarded training ground before heading off into the distance.

MISSION: Plane swoops over the training ground

An aviation source said last night: "G-CBME may look like a little old Cessna with a single propeller but it is anything but. "It has a £100,000 engine which operates on jet fuel.

"This is very unusual and means that the plane is able to fly much more quietly which obviously does not alert people on the ground so much to its presence. It also has £50,000 worth of specialist equipment on board. It has been deliberately modified so it looks like a little sight-seeing pleasure plane but it is equipped for some of the best surveillance operations in Britain."

The plane had taken off in fierce cross winds from tiny Egginton airfield 60 miles away in Derbyshire 40 minutes earlier. It arrived back at the grass airstrip 2.05pm with its potentially damaging cargo. One of the men then jumped into an estate car and sped south and on to the M40.

When he reached the M25 he joined the M4 and drove towards London, arriving at Heston Services near Heathrow airport where he was flagged down by the client in the Chrysler. An A4 sized silver coloured metal case was handed over. The contact smiled, patted the delivery man on the shoulder and then left.

United lead the Premiership and are still in the FA Cup and European Champions League competitions that could lead to the club's second Treble. If it is proved another Premiership club has or ordered the footage there could be serious repercussions under Football Association rules on conduct.

The Mirror was alerted to the secret mission after a series of flight plans over Carrington were logged with Manchester air traffic control. Several non-standard flight numbers were given to controllers. An ATC source said: "We received a request for this NSF during the week beginning January 8.

"The pilot specifically asked for permission to film a small site to the edge of Carrington village and it immediately rang bells again because there have been three other very similar NSF requests in recent months

"It was activated at 10.30am on Wednesday January 17. The plane was given permission to proceed." The firm that carried out the surveillance is a respected aerial photographic agency called British Geographical.

An aviation source said: "I don't know much about them but I know they are highly regarded within the field of aviation photography." Skytrax leased the Cessna out for £119 per hour to British Geographical specifically for this assignment - although they would not have known what was going to be filmed.

BG owner David Goddard said: "We never discuss who our clients are. We always fly under strict Civil Aviation Authority guidelines and always comply fully with local air traffic

Tryign to search for more info on it or any follow up commens by United, Premier League or FA. But can't seem to find anything. Probably just some crazy redtop coincedience but I never did find out anything else about it all those years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Yeah but Neville, Johnsen and O'Shea didn't cost anywhere near what Jones cost. He could turn out to be a great player for Utd, but huge improvements needed.

agreed, i think jones was a panic/impulsive buy and wasnt needed. i would have been very happy had we kept the 17million and o shea, and spent it on a midfielder for that price.

even scott parker would have been an improvement on what we have considering anderson, cleverly and fletcher missed most of the season and scholes and gibson played only half each.

thinking about it, right now, our long term future in midfield is dire and more scary than the short team, which is a huge concern.

how the f*ck was it left go this bad i will never know.

Seems like a nice time to remind people

Nani >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Young.

:)

Its not actually that bad though, the boss clearly had high hopes for Ando and Clev at the start of the season, Fletch was always going to be a huge part of the team this season also, those 3 have pretty much missed the whole season with injury.

Now whether or not you agree with Fergie about the players he is putting his faith in, thats what he is doing and we didn't get a chance to see how it would have worked out because of circumstances outside his control.

A couple of additions to midfield would be great, knowing Fergie I won't hold my breath, maybe 1, an advanced midfielder to take Berbas place in the squad will be bought, hopefully that much anyway.

This season has been compounded by injury and will be very hard to get a real read on the midfield situation, I personally think we need one quality midfielder (centrally) who can compete for a first team place with Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson and Fletch, with the sad news that Fletch may be possibly never coming back that means we need two.

The Scholes situation is still up in the air, who knows if he will be around or be brought back next year. Since Fabio is going on loan next season a full back to cover/push Evra for his position would be nice, we are fully stocked at centre back imo and right back is fine too.

The wide positions are fully stocked but Fergie does love his wingers (except for the biggest game of the season obviously) Up front I am very happy to have Rooney as our number 1 striker and Welbeck and Chico competing for a place. A top class striker to cover Rooney would be nice, but who would be happy with that role that is in fact top class?

Plus as I said, I think an advanced midfielder/support striker will be targeted this summer so Rooney will be guy at the top of the formation and for that position Chico is great cover and Welbeck will do a job there too. One player in the mould of Hazard (not him necessarily, but in that mould) and the forward options would be unreal, and very fluid and inter changeable.

Things are rarely ever as bad as they seem, or ever as good either for that matter.

The squad is very good, great options and cover, a quality acquisition or two and the team will be able to realistically challenge for all the major honours next season. This city team is good, very good and doing a professional job, but it cant be said that the United squad is so poor while saying how good City are since we actually have the same points total, have won lost and drew the exact same amount of games.

Plus as I said, I think an advanced midfielder/support striker will be targeted this summer so Rooney will be guy at the top of the formation and for that position Chico is great cover and Welbeck will do a job there too. One player in the mould of Hazard (not him necessarily, but in that mould) and the forward options would be unreal, and very fluid and inter changeable.

Closer to home and burning with ambition: Modric. Get it done before the Euro's, can't see Chelsea going back there now since Mata has proven he can play in the PL.

Its not actually that bad though, the boss clearly had high hopes for Ando and Clev at the start of the season, Fletch was always going to be a huge part of the team this season also, those 3 have pretty much missed the whole season with injury.

Now whether or not you agree with Fergie about the players he is putting his faith in, thats what he is doing and we didn't get a chance to see how it would have worked out because of circumstances outside his control.

A couple of additions to midfield would be great, knowing Fergie I won't hold my breath, maybe 1, an advanced midfielder to take Berbas place in the squad will be bought, hopefully that much anyway.

This season has been compounded by injury and will be very hard to get a real read on the midfield situation, I personally think we need one quality midfielder (centrally) who can compete for a first team place with Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson and Fletch, with the sad news that Fletch may be possibly never coming back that means we need two.

The Scholes situation is still up in the air, who knows if he will be around or be brought back next year. Since Fabio is going on loan next season a full back to cover/push Evra for his position would be nice, we are fully stocked at centre back imo and right back is fine too.

The wide positions are fully stocked but Fergie does love his wingers (except for the biggest game of the season obviously) Up front I am very happy to have Rooney as our number 1 striker and Welbeck and Chico competing for a place. A top class striker to cover Rooney would be nice, but who would be happy with that role that is in fact top class?

Things are rarely ever as bad as they seem, or ever as good either for that matter.

The squad is very good, great options and cover, a quality acquisition or two and the team will be able to realistically challenge for all the major honours next season. This city team is good, very good and doing a professional job, but it cant be said that the United squad is so poor while saying how good City are since we actually have the same points total, have won lost and drew the exact same amount of games.

Its not often I agree with your opinions but I think your speaking quite alot of sense today. Personally I'm not keen on another striker unless he is a Chico type signing, meaning a gamble on someone young, cheap and promising. Hopefully other users can understand how an AMC can fill the squad gap left by Berba. Then on top of that the obvious signing of a CM or 2 and I will be very happy.

• Advertisement

Closer to home and burning with ambition: Modric. Get it done before the Euro's, can't see Chelsea going back there now since Mata has proven he can play in the PL.

I think Modric is more suited to the CM role rather than AMC as we have seen when Spurs were flying earlier in the season, I would see Modric been a direct replacement for Scholes. The worry is though in a game where your not dominating, will Modric get overpowered in CM.

I don't agree with you, I think Nani is over-rated and makes wrong decisions more often than not, plus he hasn't improved in this aspect of his game in 5 years. Plus you're evaluation of the squad situation is very positive.....

I don't agree with you, I think Nani is over-rated and makes wrong decisions more often than not, plus he hasn't improved in this aspect of his game in 5 years. Plus you're evaluation of the squad situation is very positive.....

Should my evaluation of the squad be negative? The squad is second in the league, separated on goal difference, has had huge injury problems all season, the worst in the league quite easily. The squad is seriously strong.

What do you have to back up your view of Nani though? Is it just since he has come back from injury? Because he has been performing brilliantly for a long time now, at least 2 years. He has improved greatly in his decision making from his younger days, he tracks back more often now, he is a match winner for us, when he plays well United play well.

Should my evaluation of the squad be negative? The squad is second in the league, separated on goal difference, has had huge injury problems all season, the worst in the league quite easily. The squad is seriously strong.

What do you have to back up your view of Nani though? Is it just since he has come back from injury? Because he has been performing brilliantly for a long time now, at least 2 years. He has improved greatly in his decision making from his younger days, he tracks back more often now, he is a match winner for us, when he plays well United play well.

It's testament to Ferguson's brilliance as a manager that this squad is competing at all this season, plus imo it's not a particularly good PL this year. utd came up short in a terrible CL group and were hammered by Athletico in the EL. Nani is capable of moments of genius but he very often tries shots from ridiculous angles and distances when there is better options on. You say when he plays well Utd play well, I think its the other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Well we know Sir Alex loves to gamble and that's what he's done this season with midfield. Anderson has always been inconsistent, I'm sure the club knew about Fletch's condition before the season as he missed a ton of time last season and noone really knew who Cleverly would perform. All that coupled with Scholes' retirement at the end of last season and the roasting we got from Barca in the CL final should have been the trigger for him to get quality reinforcements in midfield.

Fergie has to take plenty of blame for the CL exit, he actually said so himself by not taking it seriously enough, Athletico are a good team, they were technically far superior and hungrier when we played them, for a lot of them it was also the biggest game of their careers, for United players it wasn't. They wanted it more and they deserved it. Fergie does have a big impact on how the team finds a way to win, but he has been at fault plenty of times this season and is certainly not absolved of any blame for the shortcomings

Again I ask you, have you anything to back up your opinion on Nani though? The general consensus among United fans has been that Nani has been a standout performer for the last couple of seasons, he has improved greatly in his decision making and his consistency, you think differently, I just want to know why is all?

If you have nothing thats ok like, your entitled to your opinion either way.

One more thing though, you said Young was better then Nani, I would put it to you that it is actually Young who is the sunshine footballer of the two, the one who is most likely to go missing if the team is playing poorly but will can be sublime when the whole team plays well.

• Advertisement

FatherTed wrote: »
    Well we know Sir Alex loves to gamble and that's what he's done this season with midfield. Anderson has always been inconsistent, I'm sure the club knew about Fletch's condition before the season as he missed a ton of time last season and noone really knew who Cleverly would perform. All that coupled with Scholes' retirement at the end of last season and the roasting we got from Barca in the CL final should have been the trigger for him to get quality reinforcements in midfield.

From what we know he really did try to sign Sneijder but it just didn't come off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

United play well when Nani plays well. United struggle when Nani plays poor.

I think Modric is more suited to the CM role rather than AMC as we have seen when Spurs were flying earlier in the season, I would see Modric been a direct replacement for Scholes. The worry is though in a game where your not dominating, will Modric get overpowered in CM.

Yes a CM is exactly what we need. We cannot keep playing Giggs and Park in these postions.

He is a CM with a forward thinking mind. He also hustles, harries and use his tenacity to tackle. He can help us gain the control of a battle with his measured passing and williness to be open for the ball.

Perfect addition beside a ball winner in a 4-4-2 against weaker teams and other 4-4-2's and perfect for a 4-3-3 with a tackler and a deep lying passer against a packed midfield. As above we've used players in this role like Park and Giggs and both don't have the natural skill to play in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Rooney yesterday, Nani today... Either Valencia or Vidic is in for some stick tomorrow.

Fergie has to take plenty of blame for the CL exit, he actually said so himself by not taking it seriously enough, Athletico are a good team, they were technically far superior and hungrier when we played them, for a lot of them it was also the biggest game of their careers, for United players it wasn't. They wanted it more and they deserved it. Fergie does have a big impact on how the team finds a way to win, but he has been at fault plenty of times this season and is certainly not absolved of any blame for the shortcomings

Again I ask you, have you anything to back up your opinion on Nani though? The general consensus among United fans has been that Nani has been a standout performer for the last couple of seasons, he has improved greatly in his decision making and his consistency, you think differently, I just want to know why is all?

If you have nothing thats ok like, your entitled to your opinion either way.

One more thing though, you said Young was better then Nani, I would put it to you that it is actually Young who is the sunshine footballer of the two, the one who is most likely to go missing if the team is playing poorly but will can be sublime when the whole team plays well.

2011/12 Barclays Premier League

Games: 28 Goals: 8 shots:65 assists:10

Strengths: On top form, the Portuguese winger can be a nightmare for defenders. A bundle of pace and trickery, his ability to create and score spectacular goals makes him an important attacking outlet.

Weaknesses: Defensively weak and still too often wasteful in possession, needs to understand that sometimes the simple pass or cross will do.
    That's my opinion on the guy too. Far too often takes the wrong option, but is capable of brilliance at times.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement