Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Player of the year

• 16-04-2007 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

From Sky:
    PFA PLAYERS' PLAYER OF THE YEAR NOMINEES
    Didier Drogba (Chelsea)
    Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
    Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
    Ryan Giggs (Manchester United)
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United)
    Paul Scholes (Manchester United)

PFA YOUNG PLAYER OF THE YEAR NOMINEES
    Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
    Kevin Doyle (Reading)
    Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)
    Micah Richards (Manchester City)
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United)
    Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

Great to see Doyle get nominated. Can't see why Gerrard is there, he hasn't been that impressive in the premiership this season. I think Essien has been much better than him.

If Ronaldo is a young player, which I don't think he is, I think there is no doubt whatsoever that he will win it.

I think the choice is between Drogba and Ronaldo for the player of the year award. Drogba has dropped off in recent weeks, largely because the players around him are performing.
    Earlier in the season, Drogba was the shining light in a team that was full of under-performers, while Ronaldo was the shining light in a team that was full of players playing well.

Now Chelsea have started to play a bit better as a team, especially with Shev and Ballack finally coming into it, Drogba is not playing as well as he was, with one goal in ten games.

For this season, I think Ronaldo will win it. That said, I'm not sure when it was voted on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hate to say it but Ronaldo will almost certainly get it , he is having a great season.

Droggie is also having a fantastic time this season , but somehow Ronaldo is more exciting there is a buzz every time he gets the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Jamie Carragher should be there instead of Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭brophy

Has been voted on by the players and the decision will be announced this sunday evening after a gala dinner in london so sportinglife.com says

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/04/16/SOCCER_PFA.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Jamie Carragher should be there instead of Gerrard.

100% agree with that.

Also think Essien should be in instead of Rooney. Essien has been awesome for Chelsea this year and i'm just glad he is suspended for the first leg of the champions league semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Surprised by some of the names on the two lists TBH.

Would have thought Carragher deserves to be on ahead of Gerrard, and how Gerrard is on when Lampard who has scored more than twice as many goals as him this season is left off is a bit strange. Agree with PHB about Essien also.

Would be nice to see a few different clubs featured, there's no arguing with Drogba, Schole or Ronaldo, but what about Arteta or Pompey's Matthew Taylor?

Aaron Lennon appears based on one game against Chelsea, when the likes of Blackburn's Matt Derbyshire could and should have featured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Berbatov and Vidic should have also featured. Six nominated players isn't enough really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Berbatov and Vidic should have also featured. Six nominated players isn't enough really.

Berbatove is a tremendous player but I can see why he was not included tbh. He was'nt great at the start of the season and it took him a while to find his form away from home. Still he has been a lot more effective than rooney this season.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

yom 1 wrote:
    100% agree with that.

Also think Essien should be in instead of Rooney. Essien has been awesome for Chelsea this year and i'm just glad he is suspended for the first leg of the champions league semi final.

Rooney has been nominated for the young player award, Essien would not have been in for that award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Ronaldo has to win the main event.
    As for the young player, I tip Cesc to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Aaron Lennon appears based on one game against Chelsea, when the likes of Blackburn's Matt Derbyshire could and should have featured.

Ah have you and lemlin kissed and made up or are you just building up ammo for your future flirtations.:D

On topic it's difficult to see past Ronaldo for both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I reckon Scholes and Ronaldo respectively will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The Muppet wrote:
    On topic it's difficult to see past Ronaldo for both.
    Can a player actually win both?

Either way it's a done deal, Ronaldo will definitely get Player of the Year. As for Young Player of the Year, not sure who'll get it but I reckon it'll probably be Fabregas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Can't really disagree with Drogba's, Ronaldo, Giggs' and Scholes' nominations, they would be in my top 6. I definitely wouldn't have included Gerrard. Last 2 places for me would have come down between Fabregas, Berbatov, Vidic, Lampard, Doyle, Foster and Arteta.... wouldn't know who I would have picked so I can't disagree with Fabregas' inclusion.

I reckon Ronaldo will walk it.

I agree with the nominations for Fabregas, Lennon, Ronaldo and Doyle. Rooney has been very hit and miss this season and I don't particularly rate Richards *that* highly.

Ronaldo to walk that one aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The young player should be done on a kind of "rookie" system. Ronaldo will most likely win player of the year, so shouldnt be in both lists. Rooney has been aroud a while now and again shouldtn be in the young list.

I'd say something like you have to be under 20/21 and be in your first or second season would be a fair way. There are players that are established players by the time they are 20 and can easilyt be up for the senior award (ronaldo and rooney being case in point, despite rooney not actually getting a nomination).

Gerrard shouldnt be in the list, there are plenty of players ahead of him, Carra for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Think there has be a current England International in the top player list whether voted for or not.

Scholes or Ronaldo tbh Drogba hasnt really done much since xmas.

And Doyle for young player, not so long ago he was warming the pats bench :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well like, since Ronaldo has been put into the nominees for best player of the year, logically speaking, everybody who did that, must have voted for him for young player of the year, so he must have already won :)

I do think they want an English international in the list, but Carragher is more deserving. TBH, I think Essien should be in there ahead of Giggs/Gerrard/Cesc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can't figure Gerrard being selection either. Only Carra and Finnan really deserve a shout (though Crouch would have if he could head and got more starts). Drogba should win for his goals/shots ratio which is twice as good as Ronaldos.

That said, Drogba has 18 goals and 3 assist.
    Ronaldo has 16 goals and 14 assists.

p.s. Mike, where do you get stats like that? I have trouble enough finding sites which give you assist stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.eurosport.com/football/premiership/2006-2007/statscenter.shtml

Eurosport goes overboard on stats, think it covers everything.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

While Rooney has 12 League Goals and 10 assists. Not bad for a player having a 'poor' season.

• Advertisement

Well, in all matches,

Drogba:

Shots: 86
    Shots on Target: 37 (43%)
    Shots off Target: 49
    Goals: 18

Ronaldo:

Shots: 112
    Shots on Target: 47(41%)
    Shots off Target: 65
    Goals: 16

Not exactly twice as much. p.s. I thought getting a shot off was a good thing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

A good proportion of Drogba's shots on target are bound to be some of those crackin headers of his.

ESPNsoccernet also decent for stats and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Until a month or so ago, I would have said Drogba on the basis that he has outperformed Ronaldo in the FA Cup and Champions League. But Ronaldo's form outside the Premiership recently coupled with Drogba's poorer form in the Premiership change that. It has to be Ronaldo, really.

And I don't logically see how he could win the senior award without also winning the Young Player award, so I guess I'll plump for a Ronaldo brace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,272 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Until a month or so ago, I would have said Drogba on the basis that he has outperformed Ronaldo in the FA Cup and Champions League. But Ronaldo's form outside the Premiership recently coupled with Drogba's poorer form in the Premiership change that. It has to be Ronaldo, really.

And I don't logically see how he could win the senior award without also winning the Young Player award, so I guess I'll plump for a Ronaldo brace.
    i think the votes were given a while back - cause i have read players such as Henry saying they had voted for Scholes, so Drogba's recent form (whatever you think of it yourself) probably isn't a factor.

as for Ronnie - the players will not have voted him for both - i think Cesc is likely to get the young player award. dunno who will get the senior one; it should be between Ronnie and Drogba, but I honestly think there could be a 'shock' with Scholes getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'm always disappointed with how the PFA nominations rarely involve a player from some of the smaller clubs. all 6 come from the big 4. and even if he is the token english man gerrard shouldn't be on that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I was shocked at the PFA nominations today :confused:

I agree Scholes, Ronaldo and Drogba clearly deserve there nominations, but Steven Gerrard? I would have thought Carragher, Essien and Lampard all would have got ahead of him. I was also suprised to see Giggs get nominated, i think he has had a good season but good enough to get nominated not so sure.

I can't understand why players have to Vote so early, why not go around all the clubs in end of march early april and get the votes? Thats one thing i hate, i just hope the players who deserve them win the awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I thought Gabby Agbonlahor should have been nominated for young player but the quality is pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm surprised Fabregas made the list. Don't think the guy has had a very influential season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why is it not done at the end of the season?

• Advertisement

I don't know really, is there a short-list, or do people just vote?

Advertisement