Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Military Books

• 22-07-2008 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

I just finished reading Sniper One, by sgt Dan Mills a british solider in Iraq, great read, very much told from a solider's point of view who wanted to be in combat, totally recommended it for the holidays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

just started it, only 4 chapters in and cant put it down already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭uptherebels

ya I read it aswell,Interesting book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Is there much "action" in the book? I'm interested in how it compares to "The Green Marine" (not much action, but gripping nonetheless). Use spoilers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

plenty of action and no whining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Army or marines?

Thanks, I think I'll buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

British Army.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Read it last year. Petty good book and plenty of action.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

A great read. Definitely better than Green Marine. Its better written and the company of the British army based in an Iraqi city under pretty much constant harrassment. He gives the statistics for mortar attacks,think it works out at average of one mortar round every 11 mins throught the deploment. Would love a bit more info on the operations that took place around the city at this time. The company were more or less detached from their parent battlegroup.

The guy seems professional rather than gung ho.Am trying to read "Lone Survivor" at the moment,its about a US SEAL who was the only survivor of an operation,its a bit hands over the heart,apple pie patriotic. I'm finding it hard going but will try to finish it.

As a comparison I just finished Achtung Panzer by Heinz Guderian which I started to take a break from Lone Survivor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Bramble wrote: »
    A great read. Definitely better than Green Marine. Its better written and the company of the British army based in an Iraqi city under pretty much constant harrassment. He gives the statistics for mortar attacks,think it works out at average of one mortar round every 11 mins throught the deploment. Would love a bit more info on the operations that took place around the city at this time. The company were more or less detached from their parent battlegroup.

The guy seems professional rather than gung ho.Am trying to read "Lone Survivor" at the moment,its about a US SEAL who was the only survivor of an operation,its a bit hands over the heart,apple pie patriotic. I'm finding it hard going but will try to finish it.

As a comparison I just finished Achtung Panzer by Heinz Guderian which I started to take a break from Lone Survivor.

sniper one is a top read.. tells the story with none of the usually typical gung ho... omg dont even start about lone survivor i read the first couple of chapters and then stopped. I have never come accross a book where the author has blown his own whistle so much. He considers himself and the other seals gods or something along those lines.. dont bother reading

twinytwo wrote: »
    omg dont even start about lone survivor i read the first couple of chapters and then stopped. I have come accross a book where the author has blown his own whistle so much. He considers himself and the other seals gods or something along those lines.. dont bother reading
    Think it may be going into the recycling bag soon then!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just take it as an action movies and you'll be fine :D

Think it may be going into the recycling bag soon then!

u no it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

i loved sniper one about cimic house,great story
    he's not afraid to call the officers out on mistakes made (i.e leaving your heavy mortars back in the UK as they may cause tension with the locals :rolleyes:)

not much sniping in it until the very end though

lone survivor was tough going,as stated every page he's on about axe and the lads being the fittest/toughest/funniest/best shots etc
    and then they go and make stupid errors that would make an RDF squad blush :confused:
    for example why was the only option kill or release for the prisioners?
    surely they could have bound/gagged them and tied them to the tree trunk near by,just long enough to make a couple of km's dash into radio reception for a rapid evac via chopper under the cover of the spectre gunship that was hanging around?
    i suppose he had to gush about the others,as it's more of an epitaph/fairwell for the sake of their families than anything i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Would love a bit more info on the operations that took place around the city at this time. The company were more or less detached from their parent battlegroup

Get 'Dusty Warriors' by Richard Holmes. Details the operations conducted by the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment who were based just outside the city. Written at battalion rather than platoon level so you'll get a lot more info about what was happening over there. One of the best books I've read for quite some time.

Cheers for that. Am in london on thursday so will have a look for that book. Looking at his biog,I have definitely watchd a couple of his programmes.

Dusty Warriors: Modern Soldiers at War, (2006) ISBN 9780007212842

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Great book, a joy to read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Another thumbs up for Sniper one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

another +1 for Sniper one

a friend lent me "lone surviror", the first and last chapters of it were terrible muck...flag-waving, god fearing, massive ego stuff, its worth a read
    for the middle parts, dunno about buying it though..
    Thought "Warrior Soul by Chuck Pfarrer" was better.

reading this at the moment, http://www.amazon.com/Boyd-Fighter-Pilot-Who-Changed/dp/031679688 , boyd an absolute legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Having read Lone Survivor, I personally don't feel it was in any way "flag waving, god fearing massive ego stuff" at all. All it showed(In my opinion) was that Marcus Luttrell has a love for his country and firmly believes in God.

Very good book though, the firefight as they're coming back down the mountain is unbelievable.

+1 for Sniper One too.

Finished it last week, very good read.
    Just started Hidden Soldier, about an Irishman who joins the FFL. good so far

• Advertisement

Poccington wrote: »
    Having read Lone Survivor, I personally don't feel it was in any way "flag waving, god fearing massive ego stuff" at all. All it showed(In my opinion) was that Marcus Luttrell has a love for his country and firmly believes in God.

Very good book though, the firefight as they're coming back down the mountain is unbelievable.

+1 for Sniper One too.

prob added a little on for the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 backonceagain

Books are very much a part of being a military buff or even a soldier, there should be a sticky thread for books and book discussions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Books are very much a part of being a military buff or even a soldier, there should be a sticky thread for books and book discussions

I think a sticky thread for books would be a great idea.

I think a sticky thread for books would be a great idea.

Yeah +1 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

punchdrunk wrote: »

lone survivor was tough going,as stated every page he's on about axe and the lads being the fittest/toughest/funniest/best shots etc
    and then they go and make stupid errors that would make an RDF squad blush :confused:
    for example why was the only option kill or release for the prisioners?
    surely they could have bound/gagged them and tied them to the tree trunk near by,just long enough to make a couple of km's dash into radio reception for a rapid evac via chopper under the cover of the spectre gunship that was hanging around?
    i suppose he had to gush about the others,as it's more of an epitaph/fairwell for the sake of their families than anything i'd say

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

A couple of km's dash? You do realise they were moving with quite a bit of gear,on rather unforgiving ground and they still had a mission to complete. Plus, if you read the book you'd notice what happened when the chopper sent in to try pull out any survivors tried to enter the region.

Also, to compare the actions of US Navy SEALS, in an extremely hostile environment, very much on their own and making an on the spot decision to something members of the RDF would do is ridiculously disrepectful to the SEALS that died on the mission.

concussion wrote: »
    Get 'Dusty Warriors' by Richard Holmes. Details the operations conducted by the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment who were based just outside the city. Written at battalion rather than platoon level so you'll get a lot more info about what was happening over there. One of the best books I've read for quite some time.

Sorry for the ressurrection:

Am about 2/3 thru this book and its great. Well presented with facts and anecdotes. Not censored for yuonger readers. Great companion to SNiper One.

Will definitel buy a couple more of his books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I've changed the thread title and stickied the thread.

Let' see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Dusty Warriors is excellent. It's well written, funny and enormously informative. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

+1 for Sniper one, +1 Padraig O' keffe's Hidden Soldier. A good mate of mine has lent me The Circuit, Bob Shepherd, still in it at the moment.

• Advertisement

Just finished 2 books in last week. I read about 2-3 at a time,one beside bed,one in briefcase,another in sitting room.

Genearation Kill: book of the mini series. Very enjoyable,obviously an isolated viewpoint,as the reporter stays with the recon marine platoon.

Making a Killing by James Ashcroft: Story of an ex-British captain who went to Iraq in Autumn 2003 as a private security contractor. Very easy to read,similar to Sniper One. matter of fact tale.

Advertisement