Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New sponsored sub forum for Bargain Alerts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

So gearbest is going to have a sponsored forum. what is the problem? we will see that it is sponsored by gearbest and so will know that info on that thread is advertising.
    boards is a for profit company. maybe if everyone on this thread giving out about boards using advertising were subscribers you might have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

sheesh wrote: »
    So gearbest is going to have a sponsored forum. what is the problem? we will see that it is sponsored by gearbest and so will know that info on that thread is advertising.
    boards is a for profit company. maybe if everyone on this thread giving out about boards using advertising were subscribers you might have a point.

We're doing them a favour not the other way round.

Also don't see the Gearbest thread anywhere on the BA Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

There have been zero complaints about advertising in itself, it's advertising from a bunch of scammers like GB that people are against.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There have been zero complaints about advertising in itself, it's advertising from a bunch of shillers like GB that people are against.
    FYP

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I await seeing subscriber on your account :)

I assume they will contain their advertising to within their forum. People are free to ignore it and not buy from them or engage with them in any way.

The issue is the turnaround by Boards having gone from calling them "insidiously evil" to welcoming them with open bank accounts.

I agree that if people want to have a say, they should be subscribing to boards rather than just complaining about it.
    I do however see the balance of it being a community driven site. The community is free to exercise their rights in not engaging with GB or indeed closing their accounts.
    Boards is also free to ensure the provision of the site is made possible by sponsors. Whether it should do so at a cost to its integrity is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

where exactly is the forum?

i dont see it listed in the sub forums above BA?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

dunworth1 wrote: »
    where exactly is the forum?

i dont see it listed in the sub forums above BA?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1757

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

kneemos wrote: »
    Where's that?

Well, on my laptop it's Talk To > Boards.ie > Hosted > Sponsored Forum: Gearbest.com

There doesn't seem to be a BA subforum set up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Users already have 5 ads per page and no-one is giving out about it. Nor does anyone have a problem with the Talk To forums though I'm surely many are very cynical given Gearbests reputation on this site
    FanadMan wrote: »
    Well, on my laptop it's Talk To > Boards.ie > Hosted > Sponsored Forum: Gearbest.com

There doesn't seem to be a BA subforum set up yet.

Lets hope it stays that way so Bargain Alerts can remain pure and free from paid influence.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Good morning everyone.
    Having read your comments I appreciate that a lot of you are worried about the integrity of the Bargain Alerts forum being affected by having a sponsored sub-forum. You haven't had one here before and it's a new thing - new things seem to make a lot of people nervous. We've had several other sponsored sub-forums around the site over the past year or more in forums they were suited to and they have worked out fine without affecting the forum they are in.

Gearbest won't be posting in Bargain Alerts, only in their own sub-forum which is clearly marked as SPONSORED. The Gearbest forum is no reflection on the Bargain Alerts community or on the great bargains that you guys find and share here. If you want to engage with Gearbest you can visit them in the forum; if you don't, you can carry on as normal.

If you feel that the Gearbest sub-forum being under BA is somehow affecting your experience of using BA - other than "I don't like it being there" - then we'd genuinely love to hear what that effect is. Don't tell me now though because I've only just moved it :)

Thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the admins. Commercial decisions are made by HQ alone afaik. Admins are volunteers like the rest of us.

After this decision, which must have cost some amount of money. I can't help but wonder why anyone would 'volunteer', on such a massive commercial site. You should get some payment for your time. I mean, money is made of my posts. God knows how much money you save boards then, imagine been the BA mod, to have this thrown back in your face, after cleaning up, dealing with users etc.. You must be mad, cause I would be seriously questioning the sites motivation for your 'volunteering'.

It's really gone down hill, I hardly post anymore and only come on for a short time a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Niamh your post is fierce condescending. It's not a bunch of children you're talking to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

RossieMan wrote: »
    Niamh your post is fierce condescending. It's not a bunch of children you're talking to.

Users are a bit of an inconvenience. Eventually boards aim is to do away with users and just have the talk to forums talk to each other. And more adverts, lots more adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Good morning everyone.
    Having read your comments I appreciate that a lot of you are worried about the integrity of the Bargain Alerts forum being affected by having a sponsored sub-forum. You haven't had one here before and it's a new thing - new things seem to make a lot of people nervous. We've had several other sponsored sub-forums around the site over the past year or more in forums they were suited to and they have worked out fine without affecting the forum they are in.

That's incredibly condescending, the reasons people are unhappy are pretty clear in the thread, it's not down to people not liking change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So can bog standard posters buy their way out of bans now too? if so, whats the going rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Ah ffs, don't be such a precious snowflake ...

Racist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

When I click on the forum on the mobile website, it brings me to GearBest's website itself. Surely that's not right?

It routes me through a "ShareASale.com" affiliate link. Which is pretty much just a referral code for Boards. Is that right? Please tell me I'm wrong because you honestly couldn't write this.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Good morning everyone.

Gearbest won't be posting in Bargain Alerts, only in their own sub-forum which is clearly marked as SPONSORED. The Gearbest forum is no reflection on the Bargain Alerts community or on the great bargains that you guys find and share here. If you want to engage with Gearbest you can visit them in the forum; if you don't, you can carry on as normal.

If you feel that the Gearbest sub-forum being under BA is somehow affecting your experience of using BA - other than "I don't like it being there" - then we'd genuinely love to hear what that effect is. Don't tell me now though because I've only just moved it

Thanks everyone.

Niamh, This is the perfect time to tell you.
    Your comment smacks of "we don't want to know, so suck it up"

As has been mentioned already, it's a case of the integrity of the site and not fear of change.
    To think it's fear of change is to ignore everything everyone has said about GB's presence in BA.

I assume GB is here to make money. Hopefully they'll move on when they find BA is not Finians Rainbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The forum should not be a sub-forum of Bargain Alerts - unless G***b*** want to open a new warehouse in my gaff. In which case, PM me.

Otherwise, Talk To

the hand.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

@Niamh
    How it affects me is this - when I refer people to this great forum that I'm very fond of on boards.ie and advise them to check it out, I don't want them to see GB posts in with the genuine, crowd-sourced bargains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I love how despite almost universal disapproval from its users (and those defending are in general sycophantic types who thanks every post made by admins anyway), boards decide to plough ahead anyway.

Then Niamhs post above is so patronising I am not sure where to start!

But sure its fine. People will continue to use the forum regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Community manager managing communities like a baws.

When I click on the forum on the mobile website, it brings me to GearBest's website itself. Surely that's not right?

It routes me through a "ShareASale.com" affiliate link. Which is pretty much just a referral code for Boards. Is that right? Please tell me I'm wrong because you honestly couldn't write this.

Just goes to the thread for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

kneemos wrote:
    Just goes to the thread for me.

It's been fixed since that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

If you feel that the Gearbest sub-forum being under BA is somehow affecting your experience of using BA - other than "I don't like it being there" - then we'd genuinely love to hear what that effect is.

What about the 101 posts before yours in which Boards users have taken the time and effort to explain in full why they really don't like it?

You haven't had one here before and it's a new thing - new things seem to make a lot of people nervous.

Bloody hell.

Can everyone stop being so nervous please?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The worst decisions conveyed in the most ignorant way, some show they're running :pac:

Advertisement