Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the Grand Canal

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

SCOL wrote: »
    Would this be sign posted ? looking on the map Celbridge to Maynooth is about 4 mile as the crow flys and about 30 mile trip.

Can you give me directions when I get to Celbridge ?

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Maynooth,+Co.+Kildare/53.307005,-6.5423901/@53.3297313,-6.5618216,14z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867701ee0dc5927:0xcd07c40284e777df!2m2!1d-6.59021!2d53.37796!1m0!3e1?hl=en

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I went as far as Lyons estate last week. They've tarmacked all but a few kilometres to that point. The unsurfaced section had a few large puddles, not too bad. From memory, the section under the railway before Sallins can get quite wet, but I imagine it's more unpleasant than impassable.

Go to Maynooth and come back in the Royal, it's fine.

Was out there today and section from Clondalkin to Hazehatch was a swamp. My semi-slick marathon supremes were the wrong choice of tyre and will be coming off until things dry up. I was going up a grassy incline in a low gear at one point and ended up drifting back down the hill even though I was pedalling like a madman. Would be grand with decent cross tyres or knobblies, but barely passable without. Same for the section between Ardclough and Sallins and Leinster Aqueduct to Digbys bridge.

All about having the right gear, and semi-slicks aren't it in current conditions, where I was struggling hard to hold 12kph. (and stay upright!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

smacl wrote: »
    Was out there today and section from Clondalkin to Hazehatch was a swamp. My semi-slick marathon supremes were the wrong choice of tyre and will be coming off until things dry up. I was going up a grassy incline in a low gear at one point and ended up drifting back down the hill even though I was pedalling like a madman. Would be grand with decent cross tyres or knobblies, but barely passable without. Same for the section between Ardclough and Sallins and Leinster Aqueduct to Digbys bridge.

All about having the right gear, and semi-slicks aren't it in current conditions, where I was struggling hard to hold 12kph. (and stay upright!)

Not surprised... When I cycled the Grand e2e it had rained a bit during the week and that part was hard and I had to walk at times. I had done it many times and love it because from that is the first wildish part coming from Dublin. But I can only imagine what it must be like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

FWIW I took the Grand Canal from the Liberties to the bridge at Killeen Golf Club (next to Naas) and back last Sunday. That last section was very swampy - where the Painestown river crosses the canal - and I would say impassible for regular bikes. The section from Sallins to Hazelhatch isn't as bad but here's a short video to give you an idea of it, I'm on a CX with semi-slicks. https://www.facebook.com/750043828/videos/10154101176858829/

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

is there a Grand canal cycle path from near Grand canal dock out towards Harolds cross ??

(i'm a Royal canaler myself using it from Leixlip to town,in better weather, btw)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

devonp wrote: »
    is there a Grand canal cycle path from near Grand canal dock out towards Harolds cross ??

(i'm a Royal canaler myself using it from Leixlip to town,in better weather, btw)

There is indeed. One on both sides although the one on the north side of it breaks in points and just stops at portobello. I've never gone beyond Harrolds X so not sure what that side is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

devonp wrote: »

The off-road path on the north side stops at Portobello. You have to follow the canal on the road on south side (Parnell Rd and Dolphin Rd) until Suir Rd where an off-road path resumes on the north side, and continues to Kildare and beyond, swapping sides occasionally.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Planning a trip along both canals for June bank holiday weekend, Day 1 - Royal, day 2 Cloondara to Shannon Harbour, day 3 Grand canal back to Dublin. Anyone got any advice for a nice route on day 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

colm18 wrote: »
    Planning a trip along both canals for June bank holiday weekend, Day 1 - Royal, day 2 Cloondara to Shannon Harbour, day 3 Grand canal back to Dublin. Anyone got any advice for a nice route on day 2?

From Tarmonbarry stay on the Roscommon side along bog roads to Lanesboro. Via Newtowncashel to Ballymahon, Corlea Trackway is worth a visit.

From Ballymahon turn right in Tang, take backroads to Glasson and on via more backroads to Athlone.

Athlone to Ferbane is narrow and busy so best to stay on backroads on Roscommon side for Athlone to Shannonbridge section, Clonmacnoise is worth a visit as is the castle in Athlone.

Straight road from Shannonbridge to Shannon Harbour.

That's a good route if you like quiet backroads. Goes through a lot of bog so almost all of it is flat. Cycling along bog roads on a hot summers day is hard to beat IMO.

Shannon Harbour to Dublin in one day is a hard slog BTW, but once you get near Robertstown you're not far from a train.

^^

That's great Red Kev, will give that a go. Yeah, I'm not sure if the legs will be able for the canals in one day but as you say it's nice to have the train as a bail-out option.

• Advertisement

This is the route I was talking about, it's about 100Km, all flat bar a couple of hills north of Athlone.

You should be able to do Dublin-Cloondara-Shannon Harbour in two days if you're a good cyclist, but you'll have little time for sights.

The alternative is to do the route to Athlone over the holiday, then do Athlone-Shannon Harbour-Dublin another weekend over two days. Take the train to and from Athlone.

OR

Dublin-Cloondara-Shannon Harbour-Tullamore over three days and Tullamore-Dublin over a weekend.

Looks great, cheers. Have booked accommodation at Cloondara for Saturday and Shannon harbour for Sunday night so pretty locked in routewise now :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I cycled a section last year and just brought a tent and sleeping bag camped out along the canal. It takes the pressure off trying to get to your accommodation. I also felt very safe doing a bit of "wild camping".

I cycled a section last year and just brought a tent and sleeping bag camped out along the canal. It takes the pressure off trying to get to your accommodation. I also felt very safe doing a bit of "wild camping".

Thanks, was considering it - maybe next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Same, camped along the canal near Tullamore in an appalling storm in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I love camping but you would not find me sleeping beside either canal in October!

I want to Start where I finished off last year.

What's the path like from Mullingar to Longford ? It was hard compacted surface coming up to and around Mullingar how far does this continue for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Speedtrap

There is a good quality path as far as Abbeyshrule now

Mullingar to Abbeyshrule is new hard path, first 1 km after Abbeyshrule is grass and OK, may need to walk the next 1 km to the next lock after wet weather.
    To Ballybrannigan is hard surfaced path or road almost all the way (maybe 500m missing).
    Ballybrannigan to Cloondara is about 90% fixed surface, some of it is still in grass.
    There's a spur from Killashee to Longford on a new tar path, it's on the east sidee of the canal, well signposted.

Camping near Mary Lynch's pub a couple of summers ago.

1011554_4594986171615_1744942319_n.jpg?oh=521a8c7a7cca6fc4309ebed03455e929&oe=57D50868&__gda__=1473028663_109379e7a4e5d9cc8151864efaa06b41

Would Mullingar to Longford be about 30 miles ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

colm18 wrote: »

The Tow Path out of Daingean heading east is closed. Looks like they are doing some sort of upgrade.

When arriving into Daingean (from West), don't continue straight for Castle Barna golf club but go over bridge towards the town and take the 1st left (R402) towards Edenderry. After 1.2km the wooden fence ends and there is a pair of gates. There is a gap here the you can use to get onto a track/dirt road for approx 1km that runs parallel to the canal and joins up with a path on the RHS of the canal as far as Killeen Bridge where you can go back over to the Grand Canal Way on the LHS of the canal.

Went Sallins -> Ballycommon -> Sallins yesterday. The tow paths are in pretty good shape.

Had to abandon this trip unfortunately - set off early this morning and got as far as Enfield when I started to feel a migraine coming. Usually I get a few hours warning before it hits badly and so I decided I better head back..good thing I did, feeling pretty sh*t now and I'm off to bed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of cycling south towards Waterford on the Barrow line of the Grand canal, the top of a tunnel carrying a drain underneath the canal collapsed Sunday night and the canal between the locks at Rathangan and Glenaree emptied so boat navigation is stopped at the moment.

YkEH2iiuuzxCIPkXx0NzKZXdVKuSatwfbtZbbTtgf_wkRl3Cf46bPOvCUJtp8c01uru6NFHQhVJAZsZlV5Dz6ibzKb16W7xvVhB2CjXpWrxxjTvNyBGIu58VrpzjXiFJjbIUZV40KwR15DKwYrzWXuIfv0Q81wAQfkyoxoQuBOWHsTFl54UfAoGczLmkOvlSo6NFgkWCZNDDG-cR60YJKQDSwJSiWqy72Q5sAzCd0m7spymTF0lgiJ-rY8SXREmooNTQdpqL_oiul1HiyWVRpRqmaltkSIZXkdGh80nNI0XM-Gofz48Gt8XULyvVHds9saywDXL1-HrfTwhw0husX0PuD3nLBjecuBQBf-plec8y2MrSry__rMgb24y7WOvMw6vSfbTT-beY7p_DxniNwCiYBIM5W0d7-mvo425ojMAbDoeQu7aU9KbDku0ekBlbdntAcwrG7VrKVjWPlMFXk426K801d2VmicGd1YpN4LJoFJ6u1xIQ36qZlNekwhgaYQjUmnzgaRxZmURmafUccgDMyrM_n3cYajm2Ld4yfmAh_EHMFTAZ6O8SjoqxdOIGK7GNzNSVZ2vDKHVfqJEPR722NQ8lpCRj=w800-no

rJ13OTzyBtoLtKcJvtjDyF5fyHP65LJWzc_KgE2UiSc1MJCTyZnvXmM23dbqBjVdGN1Knb9e8-lBRwU-mNEKM7XmF4QoeZxgrYqkdKxoCkkQt5mn5VHsbOuIEjqqkvbyxK8kx2QA56wyE0yiAu1J9Gkb7npa57S6pwa9JwKBLMiLJX-SW5ovmfxA8htm3sl_SJWmUWby3HG7Mw6FJXRqA7K13ueuuI06E7TUTuYC4c5Zq-pm_am3y9fZem7nz5C3XUoIGwIznnHwVYDKmXOokResI_Auf2ZeAbl04_rHn_39-YPiFtCu5Phyliv_Q24qyqBXhLpVJvf5vneheH7-gSAax2ZWbJeTeO8JwOzpP23nUPiuxvGqoMU5My7-wPo3MJojXBA5-GfhP_OpOypqqZRdXBLa3B2AAm7IOhr78VoOPhaKYfSqY6KydwdKQ99SgcHACzENJ0JqZHDfcsQOLERm_A0ea-F1Vnql9aVSvo2FKGREr3LITFieomAfrmrtmg920lzZQ9TGKDcnesNzMgCRcjGSqJGra3LbKY1wd93_IIJYM8CWn8M7OMxEvyH0qHReGKty-O44DuBj7nNCFwrM9Gd4kOKf=w800-no

The towpaths are currently officially closed but there's no issue getting through, at least till major repairs start

vlEuLVlVtnlktGf8EbTTTJ3gmHhJlS7meCwady3sC0XbTaX3PlZEQXBmlARhb7zNDUbuC8jYBajds7WaAvcApX-M_UmP61DOPwJe24LQu4eZHd4fxl5onKTGQHQaN6qWa5ErbvUH6q-6dfvS72H4jlV1G5CkfyRbCf9MZKAFBnUvFrpWI6t8OxYvkvYfRMZ3nzkXUY-dVP_x2doD9dwVnWZ15s5zIG00WQ9dUakKeVzD3S0vV2KfZ9P9TFXFQ4m0PqQ1lAnW4KRPGULxeVQ6HiYNFSxOeJvaQ7zb7O2dLVOo3OnfzRn_Z93A6pAJOi8gD01CKXRQ8FYc7OIfjEorllkdNuAU_WPGJGUjnEndTgjVkFjHd0RDkT6OfhQBaGYzE9bCG1Vq757co9b0a2JsixTr7UqSTljxGL6kf6EnlJAFy9QvxePNYaQQ8nQwHMduTw3GNZmxwXXje4og4j7nl93WIK2_W8tG5WMLFlDE9FvajY8AhxBnakyLpKrON-TqaONSrh8eJi_sYMBCzCdwkzPGY8fIlQ1QhUeyCWlBPPdf9E8RA0a6pd2CJzxavZU2q9H_zfMufwuUXI4Qptm5Vbkm1itysjls=w800-no

and even when they do there's a handy 3 mile diversion along the Allenwood to Rathangan road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

@nilhg, not seeing any pictures, private album maybe?

Slightly off topic, but for anyone passing through Carlow there's a rather interesting exhibition in Visual by a bloke that just rowed down the Grand canal and Barrow to Carlow on a raft constructed of old plastic bottles and other crap dredged from the canal.

smacl wrote: »
    @nilhg, not seeing any pictures, private album maybe?

Slightly off topic, but for anyone passing through Carlow there's a rather interesting exhibition in Visual by a bloke that just rowed down the Grand canal and Barrow to Carlow on a raft constructed of old plastic bottles and other crap dredged from the canal.

Possibly, sorry about that, I've attached them, maybe a bit big to post inline.

I'm planning on cycling the Grand Canal next week, I done the Royal last year.

Is the pathway clear all the way I assume the path will be the same as the Royal or is there anything I should watch out for ?

I'll be camping hopefully only one night is there and Pub's / Restaurants along route ?

I cycled the grand last week from Dublin to Daingean. Camped over night a few miles outside Edenderry got a full Irish in Edenderry just beside the canal. I was fighting a strong breeze for the two days.
    It was raining on and off on day 2 and my feet were wet I was hoping to get to Tullamore but there was a bus going back to Dublin from Daingean in 5 minutes.

It was a nice spin but I think the Royal was an easier cycle

Just a quick headsup, Waterways Ireland had applied for planning permission for the Barrowline Blueway back in January to Kildare, Laois and Carlow county councils, all of which replied seeking further information, last week WI lodged an updated plan with all the requested information, there are some significant changes so submissions from the public are once again being accepted if anyone missed out before and would like to offer their opinion now.

All the Kildare documentation is here, it's interesting to read through the submissions which were mostly but not all objections, for a project which has been more controversial than many expected there weren't too many submissions but maybe the more controversial area is farther south in Carlow.

http://idocsweb.kildarecoco.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=1781

Advertisement