Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Some of the Squad lists for Pro Rugby USA released

Pierce Dargan is part of the Ohio squad. AIL as a student in Trinity. School player in Blackrock. Played in Trinity until last season
    John Quill, former Dolphin player and US Eagle, is part of the Sacremento squad as is Mirco Bergamasco.
    Kingsley McGowan who has been playing AIL in Trinity past 2 years is in San Francisco squad.
    Taku Ngwenya, Habana world cup.... is in San Deigo squad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Some of the Squad lists for Pro Rugby USA released

Pierce Dargan is part of the Ohio squad. AIL as a student in Trinity. School player in Blackrock. Played in Trinity until last season
    John Quill, former Dolphin player and US Eagle, is part of the Sacremento squad as is Mirco Bergamasco.
    Kingsley McGowan who has been playing AIL in Trinity past 2 years is in San Francisco squad.
    Taku Ngwenya, Habana world cup.... is in San Deigo squad

Did he stay with Biarritz in D2 all that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

razorblunt wrote: »
    Did he stay with Biarritz in D2 all that time?

Yes he did. He seemed to fall completely off the radar. He's still only 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

There are meant to be 10 Canadian players involved in this league, I wonder would Shane O'Leary consider being one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's amazing that Mirco Bergamasco is almost a 90 cap international with top 14 experience and a bit of goal kicking experience, he's 33 and wasn't making the Zebre Squad.

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    There are meant to be 10 Canadian players involved in this league, I wonder would Shane O'Leary consider being one of them?
    I would imagine he would consider it but doubt he will go over. Is still waiting on a Connacht contract for next season so could go in time...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I wonder if this will become like the MLS in soccer. A sort of retirement home for European/SANZAR players. Although I suppose even if the pace is a few steps down the physical aspects are still there, soccer not being a contact sport has the advantage there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I wonder if this will become like the MLS in soccer. A sort of retirement home for European/SANZAR players. Although I suppose even if the pace is a few steps down the physical aspects are still there, soccer not being a contact sport has the advantage there.

Could become like Japan for European clubs perhaps.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Could become like Japan for European clubs perhaps.

I forgot about Japan. Not so much a retirement home as such, more a Summer home for the SANZAR guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Rugbymad96

Europe is the retirement home for SH players

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

Rugbymad96 wrote: »
    Europe is the retirement home for SH players

France is you mean .......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

To be fair, Matfield and De Villiers are in England.

The line-up for the play-off stage of the European Rugby Challenge Cup Qualifying Competition is now confirmed with Enisei of Russia and Romania's Timisoara Saracens and Italy's Calvisano and Femi-CZ Rugby Rovigo fighting it out for 2 spots.
    Saturday 9 April
    (kick-offs local times)
    Femi-CZ Rugby Rovigo v Enisei Rugby Club, Stadio Mario Battaglini (16.00)
    Timisoara Saracens v Rugby Calvisano, Dan Paltinisanu Stadium (15.00)

Saturday 23 April
    Enisei Rugby Club v Femi-CZ Rugby Rovigo, Sochi venue
    Rugby Calvisano v Timisoara Saracens, Peroni Stadium (16.00)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I see Georgia beat Romania 38-9 in front of 50,000 in Tblissi today to win the Nations Cup.

I said it on the Wales Italy thread but there can no longer be a viable rugby reason as to why a promotion/relegation play off can't be introduced for the 6Ns.

There are commercial issues at stake of course but actually it seems to me that Rugby would have a higher ceiling in somehwere like Georgia where it is a big deal as opposed to Italy where it barely registers anywhere south of Milan.

https://youtu.be/ox_3hc-V_qA

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I reckon Italy would destroy the nations cup, Georgia would have nowhere near the depth to compete in the 6N and we'd have the same scenario with different jerseys.

Georgia need to have 2-3 nailed on test games a year first IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I reckon Italy would destroy the nations cup, Georgia would have nowhere near the depth to compete in the 6N and we'd have the same scenario with different jerseys.

I used to think that but Italy are terrible at the minute, really terrible. They have injuries of course but the depth you mention is something that is lacking with Italy as well. We may get the same situation with Georgia but they should be given the opportunity via a play off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

bilston wrote: »
    I used to think that but Italy are terrible at the minute, really terrible. They have injuries of course but the depth you mention is something that is lacking with Italy as well. We may get the same situation with Georgia but they should be given the opportunity via a play off.

It was said on BBC yesterday they are missing 19 players. For Italy that is too much to deal with and remain competitive. Canna, Haimona, Padovano and Allan at 10. Constantly changing their tight 5 especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

i think Georgia deserve a chance, if that means a few test matches a year then so be it but we really need to move at a faster pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Georgia are in limbo. I don't think they should be brought into the 6N. They're nowhere near good enough but they're clearly too good for their current level. World Rugby should look at a minimum of 3-4 top tier tests for them each year in summer and autumn to try and bring them up.

To underline their current standard, Emerging Ireland beat them 45-12 in Georgia last summer. The bulk of the players that played for Georgia that day went to the RWC.

Emerging Italy beat them 26-10 in the same tournament. Italy are clearly far better than them but have really struggled to make the step up in recent seasons after some promising matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah I'm not sold on the relegation thing tbh. I saw some journalists etc were actually promoting a straight 1 place relegation/promotion which is insanity because it'd just be Georgia and Italy yo-yoing in and out every year except maybe 1 year when the big lads have a bad day at the office a la France & Ireland a few years back. That would lead to one of them being relegated, ending up in the lower tier competition where they humiliate everyone and in the mean time their and the 6 nations finances take a huge blow because of the whole mess.

Honestly, and I know there are several reasons why it probably can't happen, I think that just adding Georgia to the tournament and making it a 7 nations would be a better idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Bazzo wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not sold on the relegation thing tbh. I saw some journalists etc were actually promoting a straight 1 place relegation/promotion which is insanity because it'd just be Georgia and Italy yo-yoing in and out every year except maybe 1 year when the big lads have a bad day at the office a la France & Ireland a few years back. That would lead to one of them being relegated, ending up in the lower tier competition where they humiliate everyone and in the mean time their and the 6 nations finances take a huge blow because of the whole mess.

Honestly, and I know there are several reasons why it probably can't happen, I think that just adding Georgia to the tournament and making it a 7 nations would be a better idea.

A play off in in the November series would fix that relegation issue though. a match between the lowest 6 nations team and the winner of the nation's cup. Winner Internet the 6 nations. Until the nation's cup standard increases and a proper European tournament of some sort can start

bilston wrote: »
    I see Georgia beat Romania 38-9 in front of 50,000 in Tblissi today to win the Nations Cup.

I said it on the Wales Italy thread but there can no longer be a viable rugby reason as to why a promotion/relegation play off can't be introduced for the 6Ns.

There are commercial issues at stake of course but actually it seems to me that Rugby would have a higher ceiling in somehwere like Georgia where it is a big deal as opposed to Italy where it barely registers anywhere south of Milan.

https://youtu.be/ox_3hc-V_qA
    Rugby has a higher ceiling potentially in Georgia but the commercial issues means it wont ever happen.

Italy possibly would comfortably win a lot of games in nations cup but considering Italy never play Georgia, only have played once ever, then we don't know how theyd do against top nations cup sides.
    Georgia have more than enough depth up front its out wide theyd struggle but theyre getting more and more players in backs involved in pro sides in france.
    Georgia do need several tests against "tier 1" sides every year but how do you propose them to get them. Should they get 1 in June as well as 2 in November or all in November...
    Buer wrote: »
    Georgia are in limbo. I don't think they should be brought into the 6N. They're nowhere near good enough but they're clearly too good for their current level. World Rugby should look at a minimum of 3-4 top tier tests for them each year in summer and autumn to try and bring them up.

To underline their current standard, Emerging Ireland beat them 45-12 in Georgia last summer. The bulk of the players that played for Georgia that day went to the RWC.

Emerging Italy beat them 26-10 in the same tournament. Italy are clearly far better than them but have really struggled to make the step up in recent seasons after some promising matches.
    Georgia had very much 2nd string team involved in that competition last summer against Emerging Ireland, Italy.

Would it matter if Georgia (or whoever) never won this hypothetical play off? At the very least it would guarantee them a high profile international against a Tier 1 side every year.

• Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Relegation from the six nations wouldn't work. Without the stability it's hard to see how Italy would improve. How could they budget if six nations money wasn't guaranteed each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    Relegation from the six nations wouldn't work. Without the stability it's hard to see how Italy would improve. How could they budget if six nations money wasn't guaranteed each year?

But should they be guarranteed that stability and that 6 Nations money just because they happened to be the best bad team a while ago when the committee were feeling somewhat generous?

I've made my thoughts known on it. The committee needs to go. Time for the sport to grow up a little bit, time to outgrow these nascent committees.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Something has to give in European rugby in general, the big teams are protected from any dips in form or talent coming through and the 2nd tier aren't afforded the opportunities to really step up in terms of internationals.

What about creating a second tier for the Pro 12 with relegation and promotions?

It could in theory allow for club sides from Georgia or Romania to play regular games and the possibility of them playing in the Pro 12 proper could be a good way of keeping players playing in their own country. A one club country something like Los Jaguares are now.

Or would you be looking at all the same issues as you are when talking about the national sides?

What about creating a second tier for the Pro 12 with relegation and promotions?

It could in theory allow for club sides from Georgia or Romania to play regular games and the possibility of them playing in the Pro 12 proper could be a good way of keeping players playing in their own country. A one club country something like Los Jaguares are now.

Or would you be looking at all the same issues as you are when talking about the national sides?
    Who enters this second tier? It needs to be commercially viable if its to help the league. The tier 1 countries do need to work better to help Georgia, Romania etc but we need to help the league and does a Georgian side help it?
    How many teams enter this second tier and from where? Who would fund all these sides in this second tier?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think a club/country team for Georgia would be a great idea if there was a spot for them. Maybe Italy need to do the same by combining Zebre and Treviso and free up that slot?

• Advertisement

I think a club/country team for Georgia would be a great idea if there was a spot for them. Maybe Italy need to do the same by combining Zebre and Treviso and free up that slot?
    Does Italy combining Zebre and Treviso into 1 side help them? And I don't see the Welsh, Scottish, Irish sides/unions agreeing to this. Italians had to pay several million to join. Would Georgians be able to afford that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement