Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

O'Brien, Heaslip, Ruddock, VDF, Murphy, Conan, Leavy, Ryan

I'm a bit surprised some of the lads at the end of the list haven't headed to Ulster. Would seem like the perfect time to basically get guaranteed game time (even at European level) and a chance to impress Schmidt. Ulster could probably afford 2 if not 3 of these players for the price of a major marquee international signing. Leinster's gain is Ulster's loss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

College plays a role certainly for the young lads. I can't see VdF or Leavy leaving while they are still in UCD. SOB, Ruddock and Heaslip aren't going anywhere while they occupy the starting positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Just see VDF is down as making 24 tackles against Connacht, that's twice the next highest Leinster player, when his physicality improves and he gets harder to shift off the ball he's going to be a hell of a player. Seems quite similar in style to Dusatoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

shuffol wrote: »
    Just see VDF is down as making 24 tackles against Connacht, that's twice the next highest Leinster player, when his physicality improves and he gets harder to shift off the ball he's going to be a hell of a player. Seems quite similar in style to Dusatoir.

He's been magnificent so far. A few extra kilos of muscle cover will make him even better. What a prospect. He reminds me in some ways of a bigger version of Nigel Carr, once described by the late Bill Mclaren as a 'hunting dog of a wing forward,' which was a great description of him. For those who didn't ever see him, he was as about as fast as any Ulster back at the time including Keith Crossan and Trevor Ringland and hit tackles like a fast moving truck. Sadly, his career was cut short.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

swiwi_ wrote: »
    O'Brien, Heaslip, Ruddock, VDF, Murphy, Conan, Leavy, Ryan

I'm a bit surprised some of the lads at the end of the list haven't headed to Ulster. Would seem like the perfect time to basically get guaranteed game time (even at European level) and a chance to impress Schmidt. Ulster could probably afford 2 if not 3 of these players for the price of a major marquee international signing. Leinster's gain is Ulster's loss!

I could understand Ryan leaving and maybe Murphy, but while I don't know about the lads themselves, Leinster would be very, very reluctant to let Leavy or Conan go. Leavy particularly has huge potential and was always seen as a bigger prospect at 7 than VdF. That doesn't really mean anything anymore considering how VdF is playing, but I still think Leinster would hugely regret letting him go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Tox56 wrote: »
    I could understand Ryan leaving and maybe Murphy, but while I don't know about the lads themselves, Leinster would be very, very reluctant to let Leavy or Conan go. Leavy particularly has huge potential and was always seen as a bigger prospect at 7 than VdF. That doesn't really mean anything anymore considering how VdF is playing, but I still think Leinster would hugely regret letting him go

With 4 backrows likely to be involved in national setup I think Leinster need to keep everyone on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

51 players used by Leinster so far this season, the record is 52. Is there any player we can think of who might get involved this season and hasn't already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

errlloyd wrote: »
    51 players used by Leinster so far this season, the record is 52. Is there any player we can think of who might get involved this season and hasn't already?

Can we get Henshaw in early? And Mick Kearney has to come back ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Mick Kearney? Have Fanning and/or Mick McGrath taken the field this season?

aimee1 wrote: »
    Can we get Henshaw in early? And Mick Kearney has to come back ......

Uncapped players on the website are Ian Hirst and Gavin Thornbury. Has Steve Crosbie played this season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There's also the standard academy guys who will probably be in a better place to get involved at the end of the year. Guys coming to the end of their stint like Daly.

Have Ed Byrne or Gavin Thornbury played this year? They may be fit by the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I don't believe Fanning or McGrath have played for the senior team. What's the story with Kearney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Injured his toe playing for Clontarf. Out till 'New Year' iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Tox56 wrote: »
    I just don't think you can move SOB away from 7, and as good as VdF has been SOB is probably our best player full stop. Sucks for VdF and you wonder what will happen to both him and Leavy, you'd have to think there isn't room for all of them

SOB could go to 6 and VdF at 7. Or Ruddock at 6 with SOB at 7.

Or else it's time to give Ulster a flanker for a centre in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Or else it's time to give Ulster a flanker for a centre in return.

Bam bam for jordi Murphy, if he stays injury free

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The new management seem to have taken a step backwards in terms of rewarding ALI talent, which is a pity.

McGrath has featured in most of the B&I pool games so far afaik.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Don't think that's true.

There's only so many guys we can put on the pitch at once and even during the RWC we'd McFadden and Ringrose to play on the wings ahead of Fanning and McGrath. There there was your man Kelleher in the mix too.

Both fanning and McGrath have one game this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

.ak wrote: »
    The new management seem to have taken a step backwards in terms of rewarding ALI talent, which is a pity.

McGrath has featured in most of the B&I pool games so far afaik.

Any 'step back' in rewarding AIL talent has been giving academy players like Ringrose more opportunities, which imo is a far better situation overall. To be brutally honest about Fanning, he was at best a stop gap who wasn't as good in his prime of his career as Ringrose is now, and I'm not sure McGrath will ever be good enough, although I wouldn't mind him having a few games to prove himself, if the choice is between him and Kelleher getting games, I'd rather Kelleher

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Don't think that's true.

There's only so many guys we can put on the pitch at once and even during the RWC we'd McFadden and Ringrose to play on the wings ahead of Fanning and McGrath. There there was your man Kelleher in the mix too.

Well Ringrose ahead of them was pretty telling. The guy is not a winger, nor had he shown any reason to be ahead of them on the wing.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing of anything, but the previous management was rewarding AIL form and the new management is obviously putting its trust in the youth and academy systems. Both are good, but I felt the idea of AIL players being rewarded would open up the AIL as a product people could get behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Both fanning and McGrath have one game this season.

Neither are anywhere good enough to play for Leinster. Cullen is totally correct in not playing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Well Ringrose ahead of them was pretty telling. The guy is not a winger, nor had he shown any reason to be ahead of them on the wing.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing of anything, but the previous management was rewarding AIL form and the new management is obviously putting its trust in the youth and academy systems. Both are good, but I felt the idea of AIL players being rewarded would open up the AIL as a product people could get behind.
    Ringrose got game time on wing to help him get up to speed with that level. It was right to play GR on wing.
    I don't think AIL form is not being rewarded. Who isn't being picked who should/could? Does players coming through at 25/26 from AIL open AIL up for more people to follow?

Ringrose got game time on wing to help him get up to speed with that level. It was right to play GR on wing.
    I don't think AIL form is not being rewarded. Who isn't being picked who should/could? Does players coming through at 25/26 from AIL open AIL up for more people to follow?

Yes, I believe it does, from both sides of the fence; the players, particularly club based, and the fans. It's a woefully marketed domestic league and the casual fans have no idea it's on half the time.

For me McGrath was good enough to be involved during the WC, he's too good for AIL, I don't agree with GR being played ahead of other options on the wing, I still think Ringrose is a few years away from playing at senior level above pro12. I also hate seeing good centres on the wing.

Integrating Ringrose on the wing proved to be very intelligent player management. It's the kind of method I think someone like Brendan Macken would have benefited from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Bam bam for jordi Murphy, if he stays injury free

Why bring in Bambam when R. Henshaw is the likely move ?

Hagz wrote: »
    Integrating Ringrose on the wing proved to be very intelligent player management. It's the kind of method I think someone like Brendan Macken would have benefited from.

Wasn't it tried with Macken? Didn't work iirc

Hagz wrote: »

Macken got some time on the wing too AIR. Ringrose is just looks to be making the transition as if he is born for top flight rugby. Macken never looked comfortable from the start.

It happened in his later years with Leinster.

IIRC he was tried out very early on in the centre and broke his collarbone and was out for the better part of a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's worked with some of the best centres of the professional era though.

• Advertisement

It may have something of the old amateur reward feeling to it, but is it really the way to pick a team ? Surely, if the investment is being put into the academy players, then giving them game time is the way to develop them best. Not jumping them for someone who may be playing well at a lower level, and is only a shortterm stopgap anyway. If they are really good enough, then they shouldnt be in the AIL. Injury plagues or exceptional circumstances excepted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement