Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity student accomodation

Options
  • 14-08-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi!

Just got my leaving cert results and somehow probably managed to get enough points for my first choice in Trinity. I was just wondering if anyonein the student accomodation could give me some info of what its like to live there and how much it would cost.

Also if anyone is currently doing the science course could they let me know if its possible to have a part time job on the side or is it too much work to support both at the same time. I've been told by a few people that the course is too demanding to allow for a part time job.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

First years are accommodated in Trinity Hall in Rathmines. See http://www.tcd.ie/accommodation/StudentsandStaff/Students/TrinityHall/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

Sorry for hijacking this but I'm also hoping to do the science course and am worried about securing a place in the halls. Anyone have any information regarding the best alternative private accommodation? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Hi!

Just got my leaving cert results and somehow probably managed to get enough points for my first choice in Trinity. I was just wondering if anyonein the student accomodation could give me some info of what its like to live there and how much it would cost.

Also if anyone is currently doing the science course could they let me know if its possible to have a part time job on the side or is it too much work to support both at the same time. I've been told by a few people that the course is too demanding to allow for a part time job.

Thanks!

As has been posted, first years are accommodated in Trinity Hall, check out the website for rents etc.

As regards working, I know of several science students who held part-time jobs while studying. They almost exclusively worked at the weekends though, I don't think many did weekday-evening work as they often didn't finish until 5 or 6pm, and they were all in retail jobs. They mostly managed fine, but you do have to be organised with your time. One woman I know held a part-time job while studying science, and failed the second year - however I really don't think it was because of the job, more that she spent her non-work and non-class hours either drinking or lounging in the JCR ;) I myself had a part-time job for the duration of my time in Trinity and it is perfectly do-able, provided you organise yourself and be prepared to get academic work done in the hours available. Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ekstar

Hi, myself and my friend were planning on sharing a twin room in Halls but she didnt get enough points for her course.
    So Im looking for someone who is interested on sharing a twin room.
    Im a female, I am very quite around new people and like to keep to myself, however when I get to know you I warm up. I love crafts and I am serious about my studies. I hope to do the BESS degree. Anyone who is insterested pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Anderson0702

gutenberg wrote: »
    As has been posted, first years are accommodated in Trinity Hall, check out the website for rents etc.

As regards working, I know of several science students who held part-time jobs while studying. They almost exclusively worked at the weekends though, I don't think many did weekday-evening work as they often didn't finish until 5 or 6pm, and they were all in retail jobs. They mostly managed fine, but you do have to be organised with your time. One woman I know held a part-time job while studying science, and failed the second year - however I really don't think it was because of the job, more that she spent her non-work and non-class hours either drinking or lounging in the JCR ;) I myself had a part-time job for the duration of my time in Trinity and it is perfectly do-able, provided you organise yourself and be prepared to get academic work done in the hours available. Hope this helps! :)

Yep pretty much all my questions answered. Thanks so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

Hi, guys I'm a first year guy studying BESS from Sligo who was looking if anyone else would be willing to come together for a shared room given the supposedly higher chances of getting a room.
    I'm fairly hard working but up for good time all the same. I'm into cycling and running for sport and would follow Tech stuff as well. I'd be hoping involved in a the likes of the Phil or Hist and An Cumann Gaelach.

So if anyone's interested in sharing PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie1996

EaSwe wrote: »
    Hi, guys I'm a first year guy studying BESS from Sligo who was looking if anyone else would be willing to come together for a shared room given the supposedly higher chances of getting a room.
    I'm fairly hard working but up for good time all the same. I'm into cycling and running for sport and would follow Tech stuff as well. I'd be hoping involved in a the likes of the Phil or Hist and An Cumann Gaelach.

So if anyone's interested in sharing PM me.

Hi, I was just trying to pm you but it's says you haven't activated it yet? My boyfriend is looking for someone too so pm me whenever you see this and ill put ye in contact! He's going doing maths :) otherwise, I'm going doing BESS so I'll see you there :)

Advertisement