Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Comic Con

Options
  • 08-08-2015 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone go today? What was it like? Highlights etc? Busy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I was there loved it bought 6 graphic novels a few prints, a few action figures a bit of everything really have loads of pics up on my Facebook page.....It was wall to wall busy it was actually mental. Travelled up from Limerick this morning and stayed till around 4 O clock before heading home again , there's a fab buzz up there and everyone's costumes are brilliant, There are some really special ones too

And to top it off Michael Rooker is probably the coolest celebrity I've ever met, there was a girl trying to get a pic of him , she was struggling he saw her, Took her phone from her and did a selfie on it of himself and gave it back to her LEGEND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Sounds great! Part of the reason I didn't go was to avoid spending all my money on comics and prints etc.! Sounds like a great buzz. Did you go to any of the panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

To be honest myself and missus mostly meandered around the two main convention floors for the day we got stuff signed by the Rook so that was enough for me , Wasn't really interested in any of the other guests but we played the games and stuff in the Fallout themed area , that was great craic , and did the mini Alien set thing , It was like a mini Haunted house

Next year i'll definitley go again but I think I may dress up the next time , There was loads of costumes on show , A suprising amount of Red Hood costumes there though I didn't think he'd be as mainstream as some of the other Batman Villains oh and there was least 15 different Deathstrokes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Definitely dressing up next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I was there today too. It was brilliant. Ive been going to it the past two years and was skeptical when they announced the change of venue but it was just as brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

just back from it. I am absolutely shattered! I had such a brilliant day. Went to 3 of the Q&As all really busy. The shop floor was mental, the costumes were fab, and i should've made a bigger effort than i did, next year will be even better i think. I hope they are really impressed with this year. The Calibre of stars the had were good. Gates McFadden was just a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I went and thought it sucked, but then Im not into the tv/movie/super hero fanboy thing so I probably amnt the target audience.

I really only wanted a look at the stalls but it was too packed to bother trying have a nosey at them or buy anything

Some good costumes mind

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Crap, just saw this thread now. Will just copy my post fron dcc vs mcm thread from last night.

Great day today, brilliant cosplay and the Rooker Q&A was crazy, he's some man.

The highlight was the Wasteland Festival. Had a great craic in there and only cost me 2 euro (10 bottle caps). Ended up winning the raffle and now the proud owner of an actual bottle of Nuka Cola (as well as a Nerf Crossbow and Munchkin Apocalypse game). Also, all money they made went to Childline.

The stalls were a let down, very little choice of tshirts and every stall selling the same funko pop (great though if your into funko pop).

Some brilliant artists upstairs, unreal talent.

Games area was a bit of a let down with MK9 on ps3. Was hoping for the new one. The battle royale game on wii u had the biggest crowd.

HUGE queue this morning but moved quick enough. Load up on Breakfast as food choices are lacking in there.

Harley Quinn....Harley Quinn everywhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Bambi wrote: »

I really only wanted a look at the stalls but it was too packed to bother trying have a nosey at them or buy anything

Some good costumes mind

I'm not sure it would be worth your while I your not into the stuff there but the VIP tickets are a must of your willing to pay. The extra hour is really amazing its empty and some of te stalls increase their prices slightly when general entry starts. I got something for 10 that was selling for 25 after general entry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

It was pretty good, but it felt very samey in relation to last year. Definitely got the vibe that cosplaying is the way to go as they seemed to enjoy it more.

Wasteland Carnival was amazing though but should have had more room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I went both days. Really enjoyed it and got a fair few panels in both today and yesterday - and enjoyed the general banter with the random strangers next to me while queueing for the more popular panels... The general atmosphere was just great...

Seeing everyone in Cosplay was awesome, there was some absolutely brilliant ones and you couldn't move for the amount of Harley Quinn's, Jokers and Deadpool's floating about the place, but my personal faves were Xena Warrior Princess, Ned Flanders, the team of six Power Rangers, and the Batman who could shoot fireballs from his wrists (because, you know, real flames)...

All the guests (both TV/Movie and Comics) seemed dead sound, but got a chance to chat to Nicholas Brendon and Steve Cardenas for a bit longer than some of the others and they were just two of the friendliest people I've ever met, celebrity or otherwise...

The only thing I was somewhat disappointed about were the Stalls, they didn't seem to have anything on offer that I couldn't get in any of the comic stores in Dublin anyway, but I suppose not everyone has access to a Comic Book Shop, so fair enough...

It did seem like people got way more out of it by being interested in the guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Do the stalls sell some stuff at discount or special offers or just normal RRP prices ?

Couldn't see myself being massively interested in this apart from being maybe able to haggle a few offers on books :)

TheDoc wrote: »
    Do the stalls sell some stuff at discount or special offers or just normal RRP prices ?

Couldn't see myself being massively interested in this apart from being maybe able to haggle a few offers on books :)

I saw a couple of stalls offering 20% discount and the like, but there was no stalls selling rare action figures or anything along those lines, which is an absolute shame, as they're the sort of things I'd be interested in buying personally, as I'm sure would many others... As far as I could see, it was all mostly stock you can get in any store you walk into... Maybe next year there'll be a bit more variety.

Many were selling stuff over RRP though. One stall were selling Funko Pops for €25 claiming them as rare despite several other stalls having the same ones for regular price. Was fairly ridiculous.

GodlessM wrote: »
    Many were selling stuff over RRP though. One stall were selling Funko Pops for €25 claiming them as rare despite several other stalls having the same ones for regular price. Was fairly ridiculous.

All the Funko Pops I saw this weekend (and granted I only briefly glanced through them), I saw in Big Bang Comics last week, so whoever was claiming they were rare deserves a slap.

I forgot to mention Artist's Alley upstairs in my earlier post - there was some great stuff going there, although sometimes it's difficult to spend too much time there, as if you happen to make eye contact with any of the vendors for too long, it's hard not to feel guilty for not purchasing their stuff (kinda like the way one might avoid eye contact with a homeless person looking for change*)... But sure, you can't buy from everyone.

*This sounds really tongue in cheek in my head, just in case it doesn't come across that way... I'm not a horrible human being, I swear...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Ah that's cool. You didn't get to swing by my table in Artist's Alley, next time ;)

I may have if you where set up on Friday.

How did you find the weekend from a Sales POV?
    Really think the lads outdid themselves with the Wasteland Carnival.
    Great effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

I was working on the set up on Friday, Went as a punter with My kids on Saturday, And Working as Staff on Sunday.
    Just in case You don't know,All the Guys and Gals in the white Staff T-shirts are Volunteers, They work extremely hard for no pay to ensure that everyone has a good time.

From My point of view, it was a good weekend for all, Adults and Children alike walking around with big silly grins.
    I agree that the abundance of "POPS" was a bit much, But on the most part the prices ware reasonable €15 to €20. If You are into that thing.

The comic stalls ware not all just "sub-City" and FP , ComicVault.ie an Online Irish comic shop has a little corner stall, Selling at very reasonable prices. Also Comics.ie had a big stall selling slabbed and graded comics, Not cheap but a large range of titles.
    The artists ally was a good place to chat with some big and some up coming names in the industry, David Lloyd and Eric Larson ware very approachable and gave everyone lots of time to ask questions and draw sketches. I personally likes chatting to the guys from Turncoat Press, Their "Life Signs" comic is a little gem, If You didn't pick it up, Keep an eye out for it. I know i'm doing a disservice to a lot of the other cool stall holders by not mentioning them, But I'm sitting here with aching feet trying to go over the weekend in My head, So sorry If i missed a few :(

The Cos-players ware the heart of the event, Truly, without them it would be just a big market, Fair play to all of them for making themselves look silly an endure the heat, For the enjoyment of all. Good on Ya guys.

The BIG Names? Well Rooker was the star of the show, I know the autographs and photos ware expensive, But You cant say he didnt give everyone who queued up to see him an entertaining time. Emma, Gates, Billy, Alexis And Brandon ware kept busy as well, and No one I spoke to had anything bad to say about meting them.

The LONG queues on Saturday ware unbelievable, I dont think anyone was expecting them to be that long. But everyone was good natured about it, And once the doors opened, From what I could see, It moved fast enough that no one was waiting too long. Sunday was shorter, Most people seemed to stagger their arrival so they got in without the long queues.

A quick note on the Convention Centre, I always assumed it was just another white elephant from the Celtic Tiger, I was wrong, It is an amazing amenity to have in the centre of Dublin. And the Staff ware great and very approachable, Hats off to them.

I guess the thing is, You get what You want out of these things, It was a fun weekend, It wont be the greatest day of Your Life, But what do You want for less than €20?

I will be going Next Year, I hope You Guys will be going too :)

Edit:
    Just had to share, He was Cool :)
    [IMG][/img]Rooker.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

we went both days came home with loads of lego figures and a Pop Vinyl of yondu signed by michael rooker! hes so nice!

Oh Yeh, I forgot to mention the Wasteland Carnival, Guys, That was Fantastic, My kids had a ball trading the bottle caps and trying to work out how many they needed to get a prize. The Lads stayed in character all the time we ware in, and Fair play it worked well. I did go over to a few of them yesterday to thank them for the great time My boys had on Saturday , So If any of You guys are on here, Thanks again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LuvSpudz

It was my first ever con experience, I went on the Sunday. Overall it was good, got to meet Michael Rooker and get a pic with him, picked up the comic con exclusive Sherlock Holmes comic which was nice. In fact that was my one complaint regarding the content, not much in the way of comic con exclusives in t-shirts or toys, I didn't buy any toys as I felt I could get them in local shops later anyway.

Some of the artwork on display upstairs was amazing, talented men and women. The cosplayers were great, might try a costume myself next year! Highlights include Hellboy, Ned Flanders (with real moustache!), Optimus Prime/Tardis transformer.

One thing did sour the event somewhat for me though - got in a little after 10:30 and booked the double photoshoot with Xander and Anya for 5pm, this got moved to 3pm so when I turned up at 5 I had missed out, and missed the individual photo ops as well. Apparently it was advised over the intercom but you couldn't hear that in the various panel rooms or indeed outside where I was at one point, so I missed the change. Gutted by this, but what can you do.

Will definitely go again next year, and will be more savvy regarding changes and stuff like that!

Grahamedia Cosplay Vid from the weekend.
    Love the wasteland Flyover!

MarkHall wrote: »

Grahamedia Cosplay Vid from the weekend.
    Love the wasteland Flyover!

Rooker has been sharing this on his FB page and on Twitter, Fair Play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CeltWarrioress

I

Seeing everyone in Cosplay was awesome, there was some absolutely brilliant ones and you couldn't move for the amount of Harley Quinn's, Jokers and Deadpool's floating about the place, but my personal faves were Xena Warrior Princess, ..

Hey, delighted to hear I was one of your favorite cosplays (the xena cosplayer here)!

In general I really enjoyed this year's con, kinda missed having the outdoor area with the air soft archery but even so it was an impressive venue and I saw so many stalls selling unique stuff and of course having the Buffy stars there was an added bonus. I really loved meeting all the other cosplayers too so many amazing costumes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Hey, delighted to hear I was one of your favorite cosplays (the xena cosplayer here)!

In general I really enjoyed this year's con, kinda missed having the outdoor area with the air soft archery but even so it was an impressive venue and I saw so many stalls selling unique stuff and of course having the Buffy stars there was an added bonus. I really loved meeting all the other cosplayers too so many amazing costumes!

I must say, as a gay man, you had me questioning my sexuality when i seen your Xena cosplay!

I do Believe Xena has had that effect for many years Zhane!

Advertisement