Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.pst to @hotmail.com/outlook.com?

Options
  • 05-11-2014 9:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭

My mother's friend is in her 60s, has a Surface 2 and is not very techie, but can do email and surfing. She's had an @eircom.net email for years and used Outlook Express on XP before I moved her to Outlook 2013 on the Surface. Her ISP is Eircom and this ties into to the email settings, which is why I'm posting. She goes to France a few times a year and has access to broadband there. At the moment she can receive messages whilst in France, but is unable to send. My sense is this is down to to the SMTP settings which become inoperable once she goes overseas.

I'm wondering if there is a straightforward ish way for me to create a .pst file that catches all her existing mail which I can import into an outlook.com address, so that her existing emails are in tact. I could then set up presumably some sort of redirect on her @eircom.net mail...hopefully getting everything web based and so that when she goes to France she's not snagged by SMTP issues and can operate as normal.

Has anyone done something like this? I've done some brief research. Not sure whether this'll work, though.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/officeversion_other-outlook/how-do-i-import-pst-files-to-outlookcom/6c1b5e82-fe80-4d9f-bc1e-1f826a24a094

https://aandersen.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/importing-pst-file-to-outlook-com-hotmail-com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,149 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

hopefully getting everything web based and so that when she goes to France she's not snagged by SMTP issues and can operate as normal

Create a gmail account and add the eircom account to the gmail account. That way she can use whatever IMAP client she wants, be it Outlook back home (or abroad), web based email clients or even a smartphone if she has one :)

She can still send mail from her eircom account, so nobody needs to know she is in fact using gmail

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh, that's interesting, thanks.

I'm in my personal Gmail here, so I go to Settings, Accounts and Import and there's the following.
    Import mail and contacts:
    Learn more
    Import from Yahoo!, Hotmail, AOL or other webmail or POP3 accounts.
    Import mail and contacts
    Send mail as:
    (Use Gmail to send from your other email addresses)
    Learn more
    Black Oil <blahblah@gmail.com>
    edit info
    Add another email address that you own
    Check email from other accounts (using POP3):
    Learn more
    Add a POP3 mail account that you own

In her case I'd picked one of those, right? AFAIK she has a Gmail as her smartphone phone is Android, but she doesn't use the Gmail for email.

At the moment her smartphone runs into the SMTP hiccup I mentioned earlier when in France. It's configured to check her @eircom.net mail. That's also resolvable based on your comments, yeah? Once I am able to get he Gmail configured to pull in @eircom.net mail do I then need to tweak anything in Outlook?

yes to all except your last questions. On her phone, remove the eircom account and add the gmail account. In Outlook you need to add the gmail account. The old eircom account messages (history) can then be archived and when that's done, the eircom account can be removed (from Outlook)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

OK, thanks. If that's done and she needs to dig up an old email from the archive, it'll still be possible to reply to it?

Sure, just move it to the inbox of the new gmail account and reply from there :)

• Advertisement

I am attempting this now. I am in Gmail, trying to add the @eircom.net address.

It says send mail through your SMTP server. I have SMTP.eircom.net, her username. It says port 587. Do I use TLS or SSL.

It also says, your other email provider is responding too slowly. Please try again later. This is when I enter the password and try to add the account.

TLS. Your other settings are correct too. I just checked my own eircom.net settings from within gmail to make sure :)

I got nowhere, really. Got a bit muddled, which didn't help matters.

In the Gmail settings, I go to Add a POP3 mail account you own. After that is where I get stuck. I add name@eircom.net, username, password, pop server which I presume is mail.eircom.net, but from Googling I'm a little uncertain.

You can now retrieve mail from this account.
    Would you also like to be able to send mail as name@eircom.net?
    Yes, I want to be able to send mail as name@eircom.net.
    No (you can change this later)

I'm not sure what the best option is here. I tick yes, anyway.

This next bit is where I'm mostly hitting a snag.

Send mail through your SMTP server
    onfigure your mail to be sent through eircom.net SMTP servers Learn more
    SMTP Server: smtp.eircom.net (I'm not sure that's correct - I've seen mail.eircom.net, mail1.eircom.net or webmail.eircom.net mentioned out there) Port: 587
    Username: name
    Password:

Secured connection using TLS (recommended)
    Secured connection using SSL

This part is where I get the error mentioned in the previous post. Your other email provider is responding too slowly. Please try again later, or contact the administrator of your other domain for further information.

I see others have had threads on this, but am not sure on the best way to proceed. Not doubt it's something small I'm not seeing.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92491338

unkel wrote: »
    Create a gmail account and add the eircom account to the gmail account. That way she can use whatever IMAP client she wants, be it Outlook back home (or abroad), web based email clients or even a smartphone if she has one :)

She can still send mail from her eircom account, so nobody needs to know she is in fact using gmail

I got this sorted...partly. I used this advice and yours.

https://www.redstampmail.com/resources/configuring-gmail-to-pull-mail/eircom.net/

Good news is the Eircom now appears to pull in mail with Gmail under the hood. Bad news the reply mail address is showing as Gmail which is not what I want as it will confuse her. In Gmail it says send mail as her name@gmail.com, reply to hername@eircom.net.

Erm...it's a simple thing, I'm sure.

The real litmus test will be taking it overseas.

The solution, hopefully. Seems to be this within Gmail...

user@eircom.net
    Mail is sent through: imap.gmail.com (I was trying smtp.eircom.net/mail1.eircom.net, etc.)
    Secured connection on port 587 using TLS

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement