Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire on Ireland's Eye

Options
  • 18-06-2015 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭

Fire on Irelands Eye. Started around 8.30am!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I was wondering what that was - I saw it from the office this morning.

More on this (x posted to Nature forum):

Fire on Ireland's Eye started some time in the wee hours. DFB are putting it out as I type and it hasn't spread too far so hopefully the Puffins shouldn't be badly affected. DFB fella said there were birdwatchers on the island last night which isn't the most comforting thought.

The whole island went up in flames in the 70s and tens of thousands of rats swam to the beach at Burrow and Claremont Roads with hundred running across gardens.

Will have some pix up soon.

Edit: here pix here

This morning

irelands-eye-fire-jun2015-2_zpsjqjughpk.jpg

irelands-eye-fire-jun2015-1a_zpsd5hd1glo.jpg

About an hour ago

irelands-eye-fire-jun2015-4_zpsdmb58koo.jpg

irelands-eye-fire-jun2015-3_zpsuyfze8wu.jpg

And we had another at Kilrock above the car park at the end of Balscadden Rd. Seems to be out now. Plenty of eejits at work today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is the fire on Ireland's eye out?

Also fyi rathbeale road from the lights at Glen Ellen is closed from June 22-30th

• Advertisement

Looks like they're both out now.

The second volcano fire.

kilrock-fire-2015-3_zpstkhmpl6b.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That really does look like a volcano!

Is the Ireland's Eye fire still going? Looking across there now from Santry & there's a big plume of smoke from that direction.

Yes still going and I didn't see any DFB vehicles on the harbour or any firefighting action on the island through the binos an hour or two ago.

Just double-checked and it appears to be weakening but there's a fog rolling in so can't be too sure.

Edit: and now there's some rain:)

• Advertisement

No sign of any smoking around 9:30, but I see just now that the fire is still going.

It's kicked off again and is spreading with no DFB presence from what I can see.

Split from the Off-topic Thread.
    Worthy of a thread of its own.

tHB

Right now. Looks like it might be let burn.

irelands-eye-fire-jun2015-5_zpsmdlkzzdp.jpg

irelands-eye-fire-jun2015-6_zps7vmjo1uf.jpg

The fire has spread down to the shore quite a bit, based on the earlier pics.

If you look closely in the first pic at the Thulla, which is the on the far right of the island near us, you can see a white patch which looks like the birds taking refuge. /sigh

Defo spreading due to wind et al conditions.

DFB are acting.

It really is getting big now - lots of smoke spreading SE into the easterly approach to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,542 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dublin Fire Brigade on the island now...

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/612255821506981888

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Live webcam -

http://hyc.ie/

Click on webcam, half way down the page on right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

How are DFB fighting it? Portable pumps or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Was wondering the same and who brings them out there?

Pumps. Plenty of people able and willing to provide transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Can see the smoke from Clogherhead

Looks like it's been left to burn itself out.

Will there be a rat invasion and what for the birds?

irelands-eye-fire-jun2015-11_zps2bfp9byh.jpg

irelands-eye-fire-jun2015-10_zpsaxzbeidz.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We were out by Portmarnock today and saw the smoke, and all I could think of was thousands of rats abandoning the island...
    I wonder if it will be habitable for the birds after the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

We were out by Portmarnock today and saw the smoke, and all I could think of was thousands of rats abandoning the island...
    I wonder if it will be habitable for the birds after the fire.

Stupid question, but can rats swim? Like could they swim as far as the mainland?

Oh they can swim all right. There was another large on the island fire around 1977 and the stretch from Claremont down to Sutton Golf Club had thousands and thousands of them running across lawns etc.

As for birds, I think the puffins are on the north side and could be safer. The gannets are on the Stack and will certainly be affected by smoke at the least. Anything in the middle is screwed.

Just back from Baldoyle and the view from there shows that pretty the whole of the green stretch from the summit to the beach is burnt. Ie. the green bits left in the foreground are a lot smaller than they look.

I'd imagine it'll take a long time for the island to recover from this :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,542 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd imagine it'll take a long time for the island to recover from this :(

The grass will recover pretty quick given the time of the year but the birds will have been nesting these months so worst affected.

Advertisement