Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

low carb aches and pains

Options
  • 31-05-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

ok guys i started a low carb diet one week ago.its only to last 2-3 weeks just to shift 6-7 pounds before the rok.i aint over weight just like to be pretty lean doing it.thing is this week i been doin a couple 40-40k cycles with some pasta couple hours beforw and have seemed grand.yesterday i got up for an early morning cycle had some weetabix and yougurt before my cycle(to early for pasta plus heard you need to eat it couple hours before cycle) through my cycle i had 2 bananas and a bita chocolate.i done 100k but feck me the last 15-20 my legs were in pure agony.iv done 200k before and didnt feel that bad.is it the lack of carbs that would have done it.maybe big bowl of pasta the night before would have sorted me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

willdill wrote: »
    ok guys i started a low carb diet one week ago.its only to last 2-3 weeks just to shift 6-7 pounds before the rok.i aint over weight just like to be pretty lean doing it.thing is this week i been doin a couple 40-40k cycles with some pasta couple hours beforw and have seemed grand.yesterday i got up for an early morning cycle had some weetabix and yougurt before my cycle(to early for pasta plus heard you need to eat it couple hours before cycle) through my cycle i had 2 bananas and a bita chocolate.i done 100k but feck me the last 15-20 my legs were in pure agony.iv done 200k before and didnt feel that bad.is it the lack of carbs that would have done it.maybe big bowl of pasta the night before would have sorted me?

What was your diet like before you started eating less carbs? And what is it like now? This will gives us an indication of whether you could be suffering because you are eating less carbs.

You had some weetabix, two bananas and some chocolate before and during your 100km spin so that's not low carb anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭willdill

i was a carbaholic ha ha cereal twice a day maybe 8-10 slices of bread lots of chocolate chips potatoes burgers you name it lots if not all processed foo.really really bad but a hell of a lot of carbs.

iv cut out most carbs except before a spin

Ok that's a serious change :D

It's probably just taking your body a while to adjust to the change in diet I reckon. If you were participating in any other sport you'd probably be feeling the same way.

I wouldn't worry too much about it (easier said than done obviously if you are having massive aches and pains near the end of the cycle!) There is still another while to go before the ROK so your body should be in much better condition if you keep the training up, and stick to having less cereal, bread and processed food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You call eating pasta and weetabix low carb? :confused:

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »

It's low carb compared to his old diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's low carb compared to his old diet.
    i was a carbaholic ha ha cereal twice a day maybe 8-10 slices of bread lots of chocolate chips potatoes burgers

An understatement! :D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Did it for a summer two years back. Made a big difference on the bike and with weight loss.
    But off the bike I was tired pretty much all of the time. Recovery took longer.
    By September I had shifted about a stone but stopped. Was simply wrecked all of the time.
    On the one hand I felt healthier and was lighter. Enjoyed my food.

I hated the creeping feeling of sluggishness as time went by.
    I sipped and went back to sugary carbs. Don't feel tired but am as fa as fook so cycling has deteriorated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

But the idea of a low carb diet is to move from burning carbs to burning fat and I woudl have thought his carb consumption is still too high

Otherwise why do it....just watch your sugar & fat and calories if you want to lose weight...

The switch from burning carbs to burning fat for fuel can be very difficult for some

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I'm guessing you need to ad BCAAs to your diet. a scoop or two in your water while training will be plenty. I've read recently that amino acids while training can be more effective than protein

• Advertisement

But then again ....I think it all depends on the individual because have read of this
    ...its not the amount of carbs that is the issue... its the quality

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3100985/Could-eating-carbs-key-longer-life-Diet-low-protein-produced-benefits-cutting-calories-40.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'd focus on low GI carbs rather than cutting them out entirely.

Carbs are necessary.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I'd focus on low GI carbs rather than cutting them out entirely.

Carbs are necessary.

Proteins if you eat enough of them turn to carbs...so it is impossible to cut carbs entirely but a low carb diet is touted as a very good way to burn fat however it is hard to maintain

It has worked for me

But I acknowledge it does not suit everyone and would suggest a switch to high quality carbs like brown rice, sweet potatoes, porridge, quinoa, whole grains breads , legumes & lots of fruit & veg

GI is effected by how you cook the food and what you pair it with ...for instance the GI of a baked potato is significantly different (much higher) to a boiled one

And the GI load of you meal can be more significant ...ie combine good carbs with protein to lower GI load...So eating pasta by itself is not a wise as eating pasta with a meat sauce or a protein /veg sauce sauce

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/diet_exercise_tips/how_to_eat_lower_on_the_glycemic_index

MPFG wrote: »
    But the idea of a low carb diet is to move from burning carbs to burning fat and I woudl have thought his carb consumption is still too high

Oh I agree that the OP's carb intake is still too high but reducing the amount of junk that he said he was eating should help him lose weight.

MPFG wrote: »
    But then again ....I think it all depends on the individual because have read of this
    ...its not the amount of carbs that is the issue... its the quality

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3100985/Could-eating-carbs-key-longer-life-Diet-low-protein-produced-benefits-cutting-calories-40.html

Ah jaysus MPFG, a Daily Mail link of all places to make a point! :D

Ah jaysus MPFG, a Daily Mail link of all places to make a point! :D

Oi...we all make mistakes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

O.P. I'd say your metabolism is not yet efficient enough to switch from a sugar-glycogen source of energy to fat-lipolysis in the amounts needed to cycle a bike over that distance. Your change if diet is going to be of benefit to you, but it will take time. You may need to carb-up with gels and drinks every 30-40mins on the ROK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭omri

Do you take supplements - calcium, potassium, zink etc. ?

Tenzor07 wrote: »

That's just before a spin mate through the day is chicken fruit veg but need carbs before a spin

omri wrote: »
    Do you take supplements - calcium, potassium, zink etc. ?

No but will start mate

• Advertisement

No but will start mate

As I said guy it's just FOR 2-3 weeks just to shift bout 5-6 pounds see does it effect my over all performance.saying that I did need to cut down on alot of the crap carbs that I eat so a lot off the cutting out will stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Everyone's approach to diet differs, but for me a low carb diet is part of a lifestyle change and not something I could just give 2 or 3 weeks to. That view is biased by the fact that an LCHF diet appeals to me for its long term benefits, weight loss was never a motivator for me.

If I was going to throw such a little amount of time at it though, or had weight loss as a specific target, I'd do a *strict* low carb diet. One definition of a strict LCHF diet is to consume less than 20g carbs in a day. That is a tough challenge - for example an average sized banana has about 23g carbs in it. That leaves little or no room for carbs before, during, and after a ride. And there would be no point going down the strict route unless you carefully monitor (i.e. measure) your carb (and protein) intake all the time - it's extremely easy to underestimate the amount of carbs/protein you are consuming, it takes a lot of time and effort initially to learn that level of detail about foods you might currently consume without much thought.

As already suggested by several posts, a much more feasible goal in the short term is to improve your diet by removing processed foods, focusing on whole foods, choosing a more balanced diet, etc., and that has obvious benefits in the longer term too. Personally I share the view that there is far too much emphasis on carbs when it comes to cycling, after 1.5 years on a low carb diet I'm finding that it works well for me for both casual rides and racing, but for me it's a long and slow process to find the right balance of foods to match the demands I put on myself on any one day and I'm still learning as I go.

If you really want to explore LCHF, there is some useful discussion, and lots of interesting links, in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

OP from what I can gather you've upped the length you cycle while at the same time cutting what you put in?

If so your body is going to shout stop, one way or another.

To be blunt your original diet sounds(on the limited you've provided) pretty poor. If your reasonably lean on a crap diet getting lean should be handy enough.

Rather than cutting carbs, because it's trendy or because it worked for Johnny and Mary, provide your body with proper nutrition and look on food as a good thing rather than something than we have to be drastic with.

What does your body need? Adequate protein for your weight and activity level, essential fatty acids(fancy term for fat, all fats are fatty acids), micro nutrients and enough carbs/fat for energy. So what should you eat?

Build your diet around real food, which are nutrient dense; eggs, veg, fruit, meat, dairy(if it suits you),fish, nuts, seeds add a little butter, olive oil and choose good quality carbs which typically like brown rice/lentils etc have some protein too, potato, etc

For information sources on food these three are good; ran by young intelligent Irishmen
    http://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/
    sigmanutrition.com
    optimumnutrition4sport.com

On food generally consistency works rather than 3 weeks, no matter how good the intentions, your body will find a way to bounce back to where you were at start.

I find this topic endlessly fascinating here is an interesting discussion lecture on role of leptin and the hypothalamus in controlling our levels of body fat. Really interesting character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMdSHNnRbEs

Other than food and exercise, sleep quality, stress levels among other factors will have a huge effect on body shape/fatness.

EDIT: You don't need BCCA or any other supplements if your eating decent nutrient dense food, other than maybe Vitamin d3 during Irish winter, fish oil if you don't like fish and maybe Creatine if you lift heavy stuff a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

Carb the fcuk up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tailendcharlie

Carb the fcuk up!!

CTFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HCLF if you want a sustainable diet that will keep you lean long term

Advertisement