Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IVCA race canceled this Sunday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Boycot Co Fingal businesses?

On a more serious note it might be time to start going higher in the food chain than local guards or council paper pushers. Maybe lobbying for legislation that would allow by law using underutilised roads for recreational/sports events on weekends and off peak times without forcing the organisers to close the roads. Like during the event speed limits would be reduced and anyone not participating in the race would have the obligation to yield to participants. It's not like only cycling would benefit from that. All sorts of adventure things and xathlons and even running events could get a boost from it.

The alternatives are crits and TTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

RobFowl wrote: »
    I know they cited riding more than 2 abreast as one of the complaints ....

They have a skewed view of what bike racing is about ......

Unfortunately the law doesn't seem to provide for bike racing, which is precisely the problem we're facing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Inquitus wrote: »
    unless we remove the offending signs!
    Just to be clear I don't condone any such behaviour - if it does happen and the relevant "authorities" are looking for suspects please PM me and I will put you in touch with Inquitus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Cond0r wrote: »
    There is
    A report was sent to Fingal CoCo by the Gardaí in Balbriggan
    Ah the cops in Balbriggan, woried more about cycling more than 2 abreast, than the fact one of them is a crook who stole money from the lock up in the station...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

post of the day there carawaystick!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cond0r wrote: »
    Unfortunately the law doesn't seem to provide for bike racing, which is precisely the problem we're facing.
    The obvious solution is to change the law.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    I've heard moves are afoot, but we are unlikely to see anything definitive until 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Lumen wrote: »

Where do I sign up for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

07Lapierre wrote: »

As a northsider, anything here gets my vote! Maybe we could persuade a Meath or North Dublin landowner to build a circuit on part of his/her land. A Corkagh park on de Northside!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭wav1

After our club meeting last night we decided to go ahead based on what we learned yesterday.We had approx. 30/40 persons there last night and they are all in agreement.What will come next now is specific marshall training,and briefings etc[ironically some from a senior garda off duty].Happy with the decision now.
    Anyway the food in the joy is far better than our house.

lennymc wrote: »
    There is a much bigger circuit just up the road

Our very own Top Gear track eh? can we put a "Star on a reasonable priced bike" and set a lap time? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Our very own Top Gear track eh? can we put a "Star on a reasonable priced bike" and set a lap time? :D

maxresdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Question - why is the BootInn circuit no longer used for racing. I know it gets evening traffic but not much in fairness and I can't recall any houses on the circuit .

ROK ON wrote: »
    Question - why is the BootInn circuit no longer used for racing. I know it gets evening traffic but not much in fairness and I can't recall any houses on the circuit .

Same reason every other circuit in Fingal hasn't been used....

Also, very heavy traffic around the airport nowadays AND the road surface just outside the Boot in is crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Same reason every other circuit in Fingal hasn't been used....

Also, very heavy traffic around the airport nowadays AND the road surface just outside the Boot in is crap!

Really.
    Boot Inn hasn't been used in years and predates the current issues in NCD I thought.
    Yeah road is poor but no worse than lots of them. I use it in the evenings occasionally and wouldn't classify traffic as heavy.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Really.
    Boot Inn hasn't been used in years and predates the current issues in NCD I thought.
    Yeah road is poor but no worse than lots of them. I use it in the evenings occasionally and wouldn't classify traffic as heavy.

Fair enough.. I agree there are worse road surfaces out there.
    Draw up a management plan, apply for a Closed Road Order from Fingal. and once you have it I'll see you on the start line. I won't be using my "Good" wheels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Was in Kart City a few months back on a work related issue, had a good look at the circuit. Not suitable in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

we could run our very own roubaix, No Garda will ever find the *roads* we would use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

greenmat wrote: »
    If anyone would like to Join me on a YOUTH SPIN this Sat 28th March at 11am from North Street Business Park, Swords, just down from Carnegie Court Hotel. Doing laps of Corduff Circuit, (Last years Ben McKenna Circuit) were the problems with racing OUR roads started in 2012. Protect our sport for the future. All welcome, spread the word. Quiet protest and a chance to meet and chat to other racing Cyclists about our problems racing In Fingal and Meath.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2020669

Link to route for spin tomorrow if anyone fancies a handy spin with Youth riders. You might have trouble staying with 1 or 2 on the Nags Head :)

greenmat wrote: »
    Was in Kart City a few months back on a work related issue, had a good look at the circuit. Not suitable in my opinion.

agree..Its shorter and "Twistier" than Mondello...might be good for Youth races or Race training?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You could do a decent crit in the Airside car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have a question...
    Show of hands...
    Who believes that road races should only be held on closed roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lets make it poll-y.

Thank Raam's post ^^ if you agree with the statement "Road races should only be held on closed roads"

Thank this post if you disagree.

I'm not thanks-whoring I just want to know the answer.

Club Races (Small number of riders, rural roads) - Open Roads
    Open Races ( 100+ riders, larger circuits) - Closed Roads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Bit of a false choice really. Shouldn't it be open road or no racing? Because that's the practical choice. No Irish club could afford to run closed road races.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Bit of a false choice really. Shouldn't it be open road or no racing? Because that's the practical choice. No Irish club could afford to run closed road races.

They could if they think outside the box and get sponsorship from local businesses and CI.

On mobile at present but could add a poll with 3 options a little later if one of the other mods doesn't get there first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    They could if they think outside the box and get sponsorship from local businesses and CI.

:pac::pac::pac:
    Have you ever actually tried to get sponsorship?

Advertisement