Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beard oil for me?

Options
  • 23-09-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Hey hey,

Back on the beard oil, last time I grew a beard i had no idea what to do, so I kinda grew it and then shaved it :( I'm about 3 weeks in at the moment and its looking good I cant grow a beard as quick as other people but, I'm just wondering about oils so it doesn't look so grizzly.

Any advice on oils?

Also my beard isnt to full around the, cheeks its a little thin is there any way of filling it out or would you recommend shaping it the beards line bye where its most full?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Definately would recommend the Incredibeard Woodsman beard oil as its getting rave reviews

I personally use an argan oil with moroccan extract. I think it was boots I got it in

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Definately would recommend the Incredibeard Woodsman beard oil as its getting rave reviews

I personally use an argan oil with moroccan extract. I think it was boots I got it in

Does Argan oil have a pleasant smell? My wife is really picky about what I use and how it smells....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ghogie91 wrote: »
    FYI; the Boots argan oil is argan oil + a couple of other things that will water it down. Check your health shops for 100% argan oil that is cold pressed, and is meant to have an earthly or nutty smell. If there's no smell, it means it has been heated, and will bond your hair as well. Expect to spend around the €16-€20 mark, as it's not cheap.

And if it is cheap, look for the ingredients. Most likely it'll be full of filler, or not tell you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

the_syco wrote: »
    FYI; the Boots argan oil is argan oil + a couple of other things that will water it down. Check your health shops for 100% argan oil that is cold pressed, and is meant to have an earthly or nutty smell. If there's no smell, it means it has been heated, and will bond your hair as well. Expect to spend around the €16-€20 mark, as it's not cheap.

And if it is cheap, look for the ingredients. Most likely it'll be full of filler, or not tell you at all.
    Those are some quality tips. That comes out to about 25-28 dollars US. How long does the stuff last you?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lee_Torre wrote: »
    Those are some quality tips. That comes out to about 25-28 dollars US. How long does the stuff last you?
    Not sure; only started using the stuff myself. When putting it into your hand, only droplets come out, and even though some sites say it'll last 2 years, I'm sceptical, but I'm guessing at least a month at the rate it drips out of the bottle

Also, seems dark glass is the best to store it in, as the sun rays can affect it, as can plastic containers. I bought it in "The Health Shop" in Liffey Valley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I dunno if I need wax or oil does oil have the same effects as wax?

I might get some argan oil.. I want something thats going to bind my bears its like Ive got a face full of pubes at the moment :(

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

There are cheaper beard oils out there that are just as good. Check this out:

http://www.mensjournal.com/expert-advice/best-beard-oils-to-tame-your-beard-20131112

This is jojoba beard oil: http://www.drksoap.com/beard-tonic/

I got some off of etsy. Some of the artisans there offer pretty good shipping to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I use coconut oil( the 100% virgin Organic one). It smells really good and isnt too greasy. Its cheap and can be used as a moisturizer on the rest of the body. You can also use it for cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I'm combining Argan Oil with Bergamot at the moment to make my own oil. I'm new to the beard oil game and my gf isn't too keen on the citrus scent from the Bergamot, would anyone have any recommendations on what else I could combine with the Argan that would be maybe a bit... manlier? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

As a bit of a beard neophyte - though actually sporting one at present - I'd never heard of beard oil until reading this thread.

What's it for?

• Advertisement

Chelon wrote: »
    As a bit of a beard neophyte - though actually sporting one at present - I'd never heard of beard oil until reading this thread.

What's it for?

I got the oil as I'm growing a nice bit of length in my beard and it can get very itchy for both me and my gf. So the oil should soften it up and make it a bit less wirey, that's what I'm hoping for anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I use Cornwall beard oil. Smells of pine so I'm extra manly with my wood-smelling beard. Really works on defrizzing it in the morning when I look like Hagrid.

Duff wrote: »
    I use Cornwall beard oil. Smells of pine so I'm extra manly with my wood-smelling beard. Really works on defrizzing it in the morning when I look like Hagrid.

Cheers Duff, I'll check it out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Castrol GTX

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I learn something every day. Have never used oil and just trim when it gets itchy.
    Hmm, might go ZZTop now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Lads can I just use jojoba oil by itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Virginia Cedarwood, Bay Rum & Lemon beard oil from Melt n Smelt

http://www.meltnsmelt.co.uk/index.php

biko wrote: »
    I learn something every day. Have never used oil and just trim when it gets itchy.
    Hmm, might go ZZTop now..

That's why I'm using oil, I've never had the beard so long, it really takes the itch out, for me and my gf. Going to see how big I can grow it out before it a) it looks ridiculous or b) interferes with my daily life :D

First trimming in 5 years :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Can anyone recommend a fragrance free oil?

• Advertisement

54kroc wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a fragrance free oil?
    http://www.meltnsmelt.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=116&products_id=460

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Howdy. Good chaps.

Anyone recommend a beard oil that can help prevent or stop beard dandruff?

Advertisement