Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registration

Options
  • 10-01-2015 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi

I currently have an English classic car that the previous owner has registered in Ireland using the current irish plate system eg 81 D ....... can this be re Registered on a ZV plate ??

Thanks

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

Yes, you can go from 81 -d-000 to ZV but not the other way around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

at a fee (€50 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭micko38

Thanks for that any idea of the process

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

2ik7fgi.jpg VRT 35

A simple process

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Ask the Revenue.

Someone posted up the form below a while ago. I couldn't find it on the Revenue website, but it's the correct form - VRT 35.

Edit: There you go, while I was looking for the form, someone digs up a picture of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

My 2 cents...

I prefer 'old style' registration plates but if it was me I would keep the 81-D-nnn plate instead of going for a ZV nnnnn plate (note 7-digit ZV plates are not in keeping with pre-1986 plates which had a maximum of 6-digits).

There is a possibility that a more appropriate 'Vintage Registration System' may be negotiated between the IVVCC and the DoE in the year(s) ahead. I would then go for such a plate to replace the '81-D-nnn' plate. (Incidentially, 'low' import plates like '81-D-nnn' are almost a rarity/novelty these days in comparison to the (silly!) '81-D-120000' plates!!)

Another interesting detail in the form displayed above - note the space for six numbers after the ZV?! Mark my words, if a new system isnt sorted for vintage vehicles by the IVVCC the DoE will start issuing 8-digit ZV plates in the forseeable future, i.e. 'ZV 100000'+ ...in the same vein as the current 8-digit ZZ (temporary) plates.

Thanks for all the info guys its been really helpful

micko38 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info guys its been really helpful

What are you going to do?...Keep the '81 plate or change it?

Silvera wrote: »
    What are you going to do?...Keep the '81 plate or change it?

Think I will take your advice Sil and stick with existing plate dont want to cover front of car with an extended plate ☺

What (reg) county are you in micko? Is it Dublin?

• Advertisement

I'm in Kildare,but reg is RN

micko38 wrote: »
    Think I will take your advice Sil and stick with existing plate dont want to cover front of car with an extended plate ☺

having a ZV does have the advantage that it doesn't make the year obvious which can have certain advantages,

that was my original thinking as it is 1980 ?:confused:

For Roscommon the next ZV would approximately be: ZV70923
    For Kildare the next ZV would approximately be: ZV37575

I would of thought the ZV swap would come under Kildare allocation, but never got to the bottom of what the Revenue actually do.

macplaxton wrote: »
    For Roscommon the next ZV would approximately be: ZV70923
    For Kildare the next ZV would approximately be: ZV37575

I would of thought the ZV swap would come under Kildare allocation, but never got to the bottom of what the Revenue actually do.

Either way, imho, 7-digit ZV plates just look wrong. Even the 'novelty' value alone would have me keeping the 'low' '81 plate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I have 83 D 8XXX and I'm sticking with it as otherwise I'll get a daft long number ZV plate, and lose the option for me (or the next owner) to change in the future.

Not sure I see an advantage to not having the year on your plate that people have mentioned in this thread, unless it's something to do with dodging an NCT!

I'd stick with the 81D as one day they may let us have numbers that look historically accurate and you may not get the option to change the ZV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

corktina wrote: »
    I'd stick with the 81D as one day they may let us have numbers that look historically accurate and you may not get the option to change the ZV

If the day ever arrived that you could get historically accurate reg's, but not if you'd taken a ZV, there would be riots...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

corktina wrote: »

Flap flap oink oink...

Advertisement