Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Standing sleep deprived in the changing room to go for a 20-30 minute run I realised the futility of it all. Stupid fúcking knee. Stupid fúcking me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I hear the pool calling your name. ;)

Got out for a ten minute run last night, after the house was all asleep got out. Took longer getting dressed and undressed but felt great. Some tightness in the right VL and left VMO after but stretched and rolled. First time ever I had a real "knot" to drill into. Agony.

After that I watched "Knowing" with nicholas cage. The Whisperers freaked me out enough that I thought "this could be the first good film nicholas cage has ever been in " then
    it was if they realised "fúck we need an ending and lashed in some aliens
    . Bed came very late and a very broken sleep.

The house was all in agreement this morning - thank god its friday. Except for Ciarán, he doesn't really care.

22 minute run today. wet and windy. some awareness of Patella tendon, not out of the woods yet

After that, as much as it killed me, I had to spend lots of money on non-sporting goods. Waddled into a suit shop, asked about coats and jackets. Now dressed in old runners to protect the knee, cords and a jumper, didn't shave today either I possibly looked well out of place. The responses I got hammered home that the people in the shop thought so too. "Is sir requiring a whole suit or just a jacket?" what sort of a knob asks that? I want a fúcking woollen coat cause its 2 degrees in amsterdam and I'm going to get cold when I'm over there on business. Eventually got some assistance and were it not pi$$ing and I needed the coat NOW I'd have gone elsewhere.

What color (or, colour) is your coat?

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What color (or, colour) is your coat?

A charcoal, knee length, tailored coat. Completely happy with it bar some black velvet on it but all the coats I've looked at seem to have similar.

Wanted a coat that would go with a range of suits. Navy won't go with black, black won't go with navy, and navy won't go with grey.

I started hitting refresh on the page at 0945 credit card details in hand and account made.
    I tried over and over and over to get in but to no avail.
    The site crashed multiple times.
    I was using IE, Chrome and Firefox. Nothing.
    Eventually two hours later I got order confirmation before the site was taken done.

Happy days - Frozen Sing-a-long here we come!

Week 47 totals

Swim : 0
    Bike : 0
    Run dist : 20.98 km
    Run time : 1:42:06

Ten minutes Friday, 20 minutes Saturday, 20 minutes Sunday. Slowly slowly catchy monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

tunney wrote: »

Happy days - Frozen Sing-a-long here we come!

Where where, omg, can't believe I didn't know this..I have always always want to do one..can't sing, but I am sure between now and then I might be able to get better at it!!

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    Where where, omg, can't believe I didn't know this..I have always always want to do one..can't sing, but I am sure between now and then I might be able to get better at it!!

National Concert Hall. Kids are going to go crazy, they listen to the sound track non stop anyways and to sing along with hundreds of other kids, a stage performance and a choir..........................

• Advertisement

National Concert Hall. Kids are going to go crazy, they listen to the sound track non stop anyways and to sing along with hundreds of other kids, a stage performance and a choir..........................

https://www.nch.ie/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=Frozen-Sing-Along-13Dec14&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Listening to hundreds of kids singing, this sounds like one of my visions of hell.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Listening to hundreds of kids singing, this sounds like one of my visions of hell.

Club Christmas party that night, I'll show you the videos then.

mloc123 wrote: »

Agreed. It ranks right up there with a dog constantly licking itself while you are trying to sleep!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Agreed. It ranks right up there with a dog constantly licking itself while you are trying to sleep!
    When it comes to visions of hell, that's not one that would have immediately sprung to mind. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    When it comes to visions of hell, that's not one that would have immediately sprung to mind. :)

Oh, when that's the only sound you hear in a very quiet house in the middle of the night, and it's incessant, and seems to get louder...and louder....and louder, it is very much like hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Ah sh1te, Lauren and Hannah would have loved this.

You mean Fran would have loved this.

Saturday 29th November 2014

Tonight I wanted to go for a run. It was dark and cold and Eoin insisted on going with me. Aoibhe joined us then. We ran up and down the length of the road for 15 minutes. Eoin was shouting "RUNNING IS EASY!" as he belted it up and down the road and Aoibhe would sometimes let him win the races. Eoin cried when I told him that that was it for now but that he could come for a run with me once I got back from my, now much shorter, run. I got back from his run and off we all went again for another five minutes running.

Sunday 30th November 2014

Tonight I wanted to go for a run again. Eoin insisted on coming but then complained that he didn't have a watch. I gave him an old Casio watch and said that once I got back from his run we would all go again. Eoin sat on the chair and intently played with the buttons until I came back. Then Eoin and Aoibhe and me went for a run. Eoin ran and Aoibhe ran, Aoibhe won all the races but then started to let Eoin win, then she insisted on draws. But Daddy had to lose. Eoin, with a serious face on him, pressed the buttons and ran - like he saw Daddy doing. This weekend they had a good 30 minutes running and made me promise we could all run every night.

30 minutes running, and 1:30 GAA training for both of them. Odds are they did more miles this weekend than alot of Boardsies :)

This is now why I run. A role model, a good example. A father you wants his kids to grow up thinking exercise is a just part of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

^ Great post.

I've got in some useful fartlek runs when the kids were with me when younger. Jog with them, run fast back a bit, then race them to catch up. Useful too in that kids are competitive, and everyone gets to run the race to the tree.

• Advertisement

Run today at lunch. Went back to old stomping grounds. The death zone for Garmins, only my last 910xt survived it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sheriff Street again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭pointer28

This is now why I run. A role model, a good example. A father you wants his kids to grow up thinking exercise is a just part of life.

Post of the year!

Arrived home last night. Wet and cold I was. It was raining, dark and miserable. I opened the door to see the beaming face of Eoin with the casio on his wrist ready and waiting to go.

I tried to talk him out of it but he wanted to race, to run, to go go go.

So coats and hats on and we ran up and down the road, neighbours thinking we are touched, but we had great fun.

Still tears when we finished. I think this is going to be a nightly thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I tried to talk him out of it but he wanted to race, to run, to go go go.

So coats and hats on and we ran up and down the road, neighbours thinking we are touched, but we had great fun.

Still tears when we finished. I think this is going to be a nightly thing.

I think his name needs to go here.

AKW wrote: »
    I think his name needs to go here.

December 25th, "put your toys down, we are going for a run around the forest. I don't care if its raining, think of the streak"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bambaata

December 25th, "put your toys down, we are going for a run around the forest. I don't care if its raining, think of the streak"

And what will your reply be?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Bambaata wrote: »

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Bambaata wrote: »

"but it's raining! my Garmin will fog up and get out of synch with my powermeter, and then I'll have to recalibrate everything"

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    "but it's raining! my Garmin will fog up and get out of synch with my powermeter, and then I'll have to recalibrate everything"

Touché

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement