Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSA Christmas Preparation - Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

Options
  • 17-11-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, yeah it's too early to think about Christmas you say and I agree. Those pesky ads seem to be earlier this year and the Christmas lights are on already. However I think most will be in agreement that December and Christmas time is vital for us likeminded souls when it comes to FPL.

We had a thread last year for this so I decided we may as well get one motoring for this year.

To me anyway it seems like this coming GW12 is the last in the current cycle before we start focusing on the next month and bonanza of GWs. I'll probably be using my WC in preparation and try to set things up so that the unexpected can be covered as much as possible. Like last year I've laid out the fixtures in an excel table for us all to digest at our leisure. I'm sure somebody somewhere has done or will do a better version but hopefully they'll be useful enough:

kmAMy5j.jpg?1

And also the colour coded version which will certainly brighten the page up if nothing else :pac: Some teams could be placed in other brackets perhaps. You get the idea though:

ftqnO4r.jpg?1

Obviously rotation will become an issue as well as certain high profile players with injury problems but hopefully we can tease out a number of solutions and teams to stockpile and to avoid.

Winter is Coming :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Just use that wildcard will you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

This season seems especially fixture crowded with NYD on a Thursday and FA Cup two or three days later. Hopefully the Premier League clubs choose to rest players for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Gw 19 liverpool swansea on Dec 29th all other games on Dec 28th. I'll have sturridge and sterling in my team come then as liverpool will be the least likely team to rotate as them and swansea have 3 days rest as opposed to everyone else's 2 days. City at home to Burnley that gw Dzeko may be a good capt choice if he doesn't start gw 18 same goes for Lampard. I'll be playing my wildcard straight away in Jan so all transfers I make over Xmas period will be short term punts on lads like Dzeko Lampard Navas Schurrle mata who didn't start their clubs previous game in gw 18. Will also be trying to carry an extra transfer into this period. It's a quarter of the season in 40 days best part of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Gw 19 liverpool swansea on Dec 29th all other games on Dec 28th. I'll have sturridge and sterling in my team come then as liverpool will be the least likely team to rotate as them and swansea have 3 days rest as opposed to everyone else's 2 days. City at home to Burnley that gw Dzeko may be a good capt choice if he doesn't start gw 18 same goes for Lampard. I'll be playing my wildcard straight away in Jan so all transfers I make over Xmas period will be short term punts on lads like Dzeko Lampard Navas Schurrle mata who didn't start their clubs previous game in gw 18. Will also be trying to carry an extra transfer into this period. It's a quarter of the season in 40 days best part of the season.

If Aguero is fit, he'll start every one of City's games during Christmas. They just can't afford not to.

Is rotation really that much of an issue in general? Haven't the time atm to look at line ups last year from 26th -> 28th.

EDIT: http://www.football-lineups.com/tourn/FA_Premier_League_2013-2014/

Good site for it. Shows that there is a good deal of rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm with Busts with favouring Pool players, Rodgers is woefully good when it comes to rotation for us.
    I'll also be leaning towards 2 United attackers if possible, lack of CL will be a factor. Couldn't see him dropping ADM and if the likes of Falcao returns with a bit of form, he should be well able to play through the festive season.

Aguero won't be going anywhere. I would be weary of a little bit of rotation by Jose and Wenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Great work Mr.P, thanks for that it's extremely helpful.

SantryRed wrote: »
    If Aguero is fit, he'll start every one of City's games during Christmas. They just can't afford not to.

Is rotation really that much of an issue in general? Haven't the time atm to look at line ups last year from 26th -> 28th.

EDIT: http://www.football-lineups.com/tourn/FA_Premier_League_2013-2014/

Good site for it. Shows that there is a good deal of rotation.
    Ye rotation is generally a huge issue especially on the 28th. Its not enough recovery time for the players. For example city last year made 6 changes last year for the two games dec 26th and 28th.
    Aguero was injured at the time.
    City v liverpool 26th Hart zab kompany lescott kolarov fernandinho yaya silva nasri navas negredo
    City v palace 28th Hart boyota kompany nastasic clichy fernandinho garcia silva navas milner dzeko.

Yaya who was city's key player didnt start and last years game was just as important as this years. I brought in and captained dzeko that gw as soon as he didnt start against liverpool I was convinced he would start. This year round they have burnley at home on the 28th as handy a game as you could wish for and Id fully expect them to make atleast 6 changes this time round aswell.

For utd rooney and wellbeck started on the 26th and neither started on the 28th. (Rooney had a slight injury) If memory serves me correct rooney has always missed games over xmas period.

Somebody did some research on FFS only 35 players played every minute of the 2012 dec period. A lot of those 35 were GKs.
    Having 15 playing players and taking a few calculated punts is the way I approach it. Short term punts work for me as I wildcard straightaway in jan so I can get any lads I take out back in.

Last years Dec 28th thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057112163
    and the previous years rvp getting benched
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056841494

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Looking forward to Xmas. It's generally the time when my team excel and hopefully that continues this year.

The quick return on GWs means a lot of people often miss deadlines.

Also, the GWs are coming that quick that you can make loads of changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Any change to the winter Wildcard this year? When does it come in and how long does it stick around for x x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Trilla wrote: »
    Any change to the winter Wildcard this year? When does it come in and how long does it stick around for x x

From the FPL website.
    The January Wildcard can only be used after Gameweek 20 starts (1 Jan 11:30) until Gameweek 23 ends (1 Feb 11:30); as the January wildcard isn't available until after the Gameweek 20 deadline, the earliest these transfers will be active is Gameweek 21.

(I hope you dont mind that I dont xx you back, the wife is sitting beside me).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I too love the christmas period. Throw in a bit of snow and a few cancellations just to spice things up a little.

But it is a time for your 15 man squad to be all playing. Those subs will be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I too love the christmas period. Throw in a bit of snow and a few cancellations just to spice things up a little.

But it is a time for your 15 man squad to be all playing. Those subs will be used.

Which is why it's never a good idea to captain and vice captain players involved in the same game, over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Jaysus! I haven't given any of this any consideration.

Currently have 2 FT.. but I have 2 definite and 3 potential injuries this GW! Better start clearing these off my squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Spent the last while looking at goalkeepers + defenders and combinations for the run in.

Looking at something like the following maybe:

Guzan - Krul
    Clyne - Naylor - Wisdom - Caulker - O'Shea

My thinking is it's important to have player's who'll play and should escape rotation. Coupled with matching fixtures as best as I can. Looking at Clyne and I was thinking I'd get rid for perhaps Azpi but his first 3 tough games are in the space of a week and then it eases off up until the 26th again. He's nailed on to start too.

GW13:

Guzan (Bur a)
    Caulker (leic h) - Naylor (palace (h) - Clyne (City h)

sub: Krul (west ham a) - O'Shea (chels h) - Wisdom (arse h)

GW14:

Krul (bur a)
    Naylor (qpr h) - Wisdom (wham h) - Clyne (Ars a)

subs: Guzan (pal a) - O'Shea (city h) - Caulker (swa a)

GW15:

Guzan (leic h)
    Caulker (bur h) - Wisdom (hull a) - Clyne (man u h)

Subs: Krul (chels h) - O'Shea (liv a) - Naylor (west h a)

GW16:

Guzan (wba a)
    Clyne (bur a) - O'Shea (west h h) - Wisdom (villa h)

Subs: Krul (ars a) - Naylor (spurs h) - Caulker (eve a)

GW17:

Krul (Sun h)
    Caulker (wba h) - Naylor (hull a) - Clyne (Eve h)

Subs: Guzan (man u h) - O'Shea (new a) - Wisdom (qpr a)

GW18:

Guzan (swa a)
    Naylor (villa h) - Clyne (pal a) - O'Shea (hull h)

Subs: Krul (man u a) - Caulker (ars a) - Wisdom (city h)

GW19:

Guzan (sun h)
    Caulker (pal h) - O'Shea (villa a) - Wisdom (sto a)

subs: Krul (eve h) - Clyne (che h) - Naylor (liv a)

GW20:

Krul (new h)
    Caulker (swa h) - Naylor (qpr a) - Wisdom (west h a)

Subs: Guzan (pal h) - Clyne (ars a) - O'Shea (city a)

_____

Obviously far from perfect but my early thoughts considering limitations in price and spreading players around. Biggest worry is Swansea and QPR playing each other twice in the period as I'm looking at having both Siggy and Austin.

I don't want to have to look at my defence once it's set and should be able to field enough players barring absolute disaster. Although as I was typing this out it looks like it could be stronger than I initially thought.

The money saved on Clyne over Azpi would give me a Jedinak rather than a Marney. Palace seem a good option around those sandwiched midweek games

Great research done for an article on FFS saved me a fair bit of research.
    Here is some of the findings for the four xmas games last year
    Chelsea- Cech, Terry and hazard only players to start all 4 games. Im going to have 3 chelsea players hazard and terry will be 2 of them. Looking at the fixtures I think wham at home Dec 26 is the game mourinho will rest players.
    City-Hart, kompany, fernandinho started all 4 games. Silva started the first 3 and missed the 4th through suspension. Ill hold aguero even though I think he will miss burnley at Home and will take a punt on another city attacking player at home to burnley. Wouldnt rule out kompany either.
    Newcastle- Interestingly newcastle started 10 of the same players in all 4 games they have 3 home games in 4 so may look at adding someone else from them.
    Liverpool- Started 8 of the same players. I think there will be more rotation this year as they have a much bigger squad but sterling could be worth a look here.
    Everton- Coleman one of 3 players to start all 4 games they were unlucky with defensive injuries though. I wouldnt touch an everton attacking player martinez loves to rotate them.
    Arsenal- Walcott one of four players to start all 4 games. He is on my watchlist for QPR at Home. Ill be keeping sanchez also.
    Utd- 5 players started all 4 games. Hard to tell what will happen with a new manager. Id be wary of adm starting all games as he is regularly subbed off early and this type of schedule is something he isnt used to. 3 away games out of 4 with the home game against newcastle the most likely for rotation IMO.

Despite being a very strong advocate all season of the cheap defence. Im thinking of going the opposite way over Xmas. Aguero and 2 cheapish strikers that should play Austin and a newcastle striker maybe. A strong midfield and atleast 2 premium defenders and maybe 3. Central defenders are the least likely to be rotated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Great research done for an article on FFS saved me a fair bit of research.
    Here is some of the findings for the four xmas games last year
    Chelsea- Cech, Terry and hazard only players to start all 4 games. Im going to have 3 chelsea players hazard and terry will be 2 of them. Looking at the fixtures I think wham at home Dec 26 is the game mourinho will rest players.
    City-Hart, kompany, fernandinho started all 4 games. Silva started the first 3 and missed the 4th through suspension. Ill hold aguero even though I think he will miss burnley at Home and will take a punt on another city attacking player at home to burnley. Wouldnt rule out kompany either.
    Newcastle- Interestingly newcastle started 10 of the same players in all 4 games they have 3 home games in 4 so may look at adding someone else from them.
    Liverpool- Started 8 of the same players. I think there will be more rotation this year as they have a much bigger squad but sterling could be worth a look here.
    Everton- Coleman one of 3 players to start all 4 games they were unlucky with defensive injuries though. I wouldnt touch an everton attacking player martinez loves to rotate them.
    Arsenal- Walcott one of four players to start all 4 games. He is on my watchlist for QPR at Home. Ill be keeping sanchez also.
    Utd- 5 players started all 4 games. Hard to tell what will happen with a new manager. Id be wary of adm starting all games as he is regularly subbed off early and this type of schedule is something he isnt used to. 3 away games out of 4 with the home game against newcastle the most likely for rotation IMO.

Despite being a very strong advocate all season of the cheap defence. Im thinking of going the opposite way over Xmas. Aguero and 2 cheapish strikers that should play Austin and a newcastle striker maybe. A strong midfield and atleast 2 premium defenders and maybe 3. Central defenders are the least likely to be rotated.

Do you think Terry might be at a slightly higher risk of rotation these days as he gets a bit older? Azpi has had a 3 game 'rest', might be a chance he'll get all the games.

FHFC wrote: »
    Do you think Terry might be at a slightly higher risk of rotation these days as he gets a bit older? Azpi has had a 3 game 'rest', might be a chance he'll get all the games.

I think terry starts all league games when fit. Last december terry played every game in dec apart from a carling cup game. Azpil was rested in a CL game and the dec 26 game.

FHFC wrote: »

Luis is sitting ready to cover Azpi. Terry is needed to organise the Chelsea defence.

The most I see Terry missing is one game. Others may miss two.

Chelsea have two decent players in every position.

I've been completely rethinking my long winded post of earlier :pac:

Terry or Azpi seem great options. Also I think Bony could be one of the best options for the month assuming he won't pick up a red. A straight swap for Pelle for many.

I also noticed on ffs that nobody was really urging caution with Costa.

I've been completely rethinking my long winded post of earlier :pac:

Terry or Azpi seem great options. Also I think Bony could be one of the best options for the month assuming he won't pick up a red. A straight swap for Pelle for many.

I also noticed on ffs that nobody was really urging caution with Costa.

I agree with a lot of the opinions re not trusting Moutinho about Costa.

Also interesting how a lot of the FFS lads are going with Oscar over Hazard.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of the opinions re not trusting Moutinho about Costa.

Also interesting how a lot of the FFS lads are going with Oscar over Hazard.

The next 2 weeks should put the costa fitness stuff to bed one way or the other thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Mmm, didn't realise Terry only 6.3 now too. Food for thought.

We're into December now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I wish Yaya wasn't so expensive. I'd like to take advantage of City's great fixtures over the festive period, but he would be hard to fit in unless I lose Sanchez or Hazard. I can't see Silva starting all of those matches with his injury problems.
    I might need to do a GK transfer unless Mannone gets his place. I don't fancy starting Heaton GWs17-20.

I wish Yaya wasn't so expensive. I'd like to take advantage of City's great fixtures over the festive period, but he would be hard to fit in unless I lose Sanchez or Hazard. I can't see Silva starting all of those matches with his injury problems.
    I might need to do a GK transfer unless Mannone gets his place. I don't fancy starting Heaton GWs17-20.

Silva should be well rested if he can prove his fitness ill be looking at him.

If Yaya really does continue his form then I'll have a big decision to make. Not sure I can face into such a standoff again without blinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Silva tends to play every time so long as he's fit. I can't recall him ever being "rested" under Mancini or Pellegrini. I've always thought there were better options in his price range but a tasty sequence of fixtures over the next while could easily sway me. I've actually tended to be quite lucky when I have owned him in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

team as stands:

Guzan Gilks
    Baines Moore Duff Dummett Isla
    Eriksen Sterling Siggy Hazard Sanchez
    Costa Austin Rooney

Moore will be shifted out very soon(possibly for Robertson) and that will be (yay) the last of my deadwood gone. I could then probably do quite OK right 'til the new year, but one thing just can't be ignored - Man City GW17-20. Shouldn't be too hard to address though - the obvious move may be Baines to a cheaper defender, and then either Costa or Rooney to Aguero. Silva is defintely in my thoughts too and it could well be profitable to double up on City attackers for this 4 GW bounty, so i may see if i can squeeze him in too. Festive fixtures is traditionally a time i've made ground in this, having a strong squad definitely helps, so more of the same this year please. Of course mother nature has the supreme ability to f@#k totally with all our best laid plans, here's hoping that's not the case!

Silva tends to play every time so long as he's fit. I can't recall him ever being "rested" under Mancini or Pellegrini. I've always thought there were better options in his price range but a tasty sequence of fixtures over the next while could easily sway me. I've actually tended to be quite lucky when I have owned him in the past.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread silva started on Dec 28 last year when most of the other big guns were rested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Swansea and Liverpool both have an extra day's rest and play on the 29th rather than the 28th of December. Means I'll be keeping Taylor and Bony until then and also working Sigurdsson into my team at some point too.

Advertisement