Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

680 euro build. Plan on ordering tonight. Help please :)

Options
  • 27-10-2014 11:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭

Any suggestions welcome. I went off a previous build that Bloodbath had done with a few changes. I plan on updating the processor when needs be, probably to a xeon. I see people easily get a 4.5 ghz overclock easily on that board. Also will get an SSD down the line.

Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition Box, 1150
    59,90 €

ASRock H81M-HDS, Sockel 1150, mATX
    44,09 €

Cooler Master N200, mATX-mini-Tower, schwarz, ohne Netzteil
    32,83 €

Corsair VS Serie V650, Non-Modular, 80+
    49,90 €

WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's
    50,87 €

8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    66,33 €

Cooler Master Blizzard T2 CPU-Kühler - 92 mm
    13,88 €

Gainward GeForce GTX 970, 4GB DDR5
    339,90 €

Total 680

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

Or half thinking of this now. Any opinions, will leave till tomorrow evening to order to get some feedback.

AMD FX-8320 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+
    124,34 €

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD
    29,45 €

MSI 760GA-P43 (FX), Sockel AM3+, ATX, PCIe
    53,54 €

66,33 €

49,90 €

WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's
    50,87 €

Corsair Carbide Series 200R, ATX, ohne Netzteil
    53,90 €

XFX Radeon R9 280X Double Dissipation Edition mit MANTLE und Gaming Evolved Client, 3GB
    216,41 €

660 in total with shipping.

Went with the amd and 280x with pro3 and 850w power supply for crossfire. Can pick one up in a few months. Might pick up a 1440p screen later on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Would have went for an i5 over the FX any day. You could probably still change it if you email them.

Was an extra 50 for a motherboard that supports crossfire and the corsair 850w.

From benchmarks I'm looking at as well there's nothing really between then in games. Will be using a few virtual machines as well so the extra cores will probably come in handy.

The intels do better in a lot of games because of it's 50% higher per core performance. The FX balances out a bit on multithread since it has 8 vs 4 but most games can't use anywhere near 8 cores so the intel almost always wins.

The games that perform the same are usually GPU limited.

You will run into RAM limitations before CPU with virtual machines as well. Depending on what they are for of course.

You could have got an i5 system for the same money by ditching the 212 evo. The i5 performs fine with the stock cooler. Virtually silent with a custom fan profile.

To be honest I'd cancel that order if you can.

• Advertisement

Just throwing this out there for the same money including an SSD with a superior CPU and G-Card.

You don't need crossfire for 1080p.

Prices got using geizhals.de for a discount.

Total build cost: € 709, + €11.99 shipping
    Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box € 158,
    ASRock H81M-HDS, LGA 1150, mATX € 41,
    PowerColor Radeon R9 290 TurboDuo OC with MANTLE and Gaming Evolved client, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort € 257,
    8GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 € 62,
    Cooler Master N200, mATX Mini-Tower, black, no power supply € 32,
    Corsair Builder Series CX500 V3 Non-Modular 80+ Bronze, 500 Watt € 52,
    Crucial 128GB SSD MX100 2.5 "(7mm) € 58,
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's € 46,

BloodBath wrote: »
    The intels do better in a lot of games because of it's 50% higher per core performance. The FX balances out a bit on multithread since it has 8 vs 4 but most games can't use anywhere near 8 cores so the intel almost always wins.

The games that perform the same are usually GPU limited.

You will run into RAM limitations before CPU with virtual machines as well. Depending on what they are for of course.

You could have got an i5 system for the same money by ditching the 212 evo. The i5 performs fine with the stock cooler. Virtually silent with a custom fan profile.

To be honest I'd cancel that order if you can.

Max budget is 750 now unless I wait two weeks and could increase too 950. Half thinking now of just waiting the two weeks and ordering the Intel. What would you recommend? Really want the corsair 850w and a motherboard capable of crossfire/sli in the build.

Definitly will be getting a Qnix at some stage in the new year.

Can't edit and just seen your above build. I would definitely like the option of adding two cards.

Some price for the R9 290 as well!

I posted a build on what you were spending above. With the extra €40 you could get the 600W version of the PSU and a better case.

If you are planning on going 1440p soon I'd just save a bit extra and get a 970 although the 290 will still run it well.

It's getting to the stage where a single GPU is plenty for 1440p. I wouldn't bother with multi GPU setups especially if you are sacrificing other areas to accommodate it.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for the help bloodbath. I think I'm going to hold off for the two weeks and get it then. Heres what I'm thinking now. I'll be kicking myself if I order an inferior build for the sake of 200. Whats your opinion on this? I just cancelled my order with Hardwareversand.

Intel Core i5-4670K Box, LGA1150
    217,35 €

29,45 €

53,90 €

66,33 €

WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's
    50,87 €

PowerColor Radeon R9 290 TurboDuo OC mit MANTLE und Gaming Evolved Client, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI,DisplayPort
    270,99 €

ASRock Z87 Pro3, Sockel 1150, ATX
    83,99 €

Crucial MX100 SSD 128GB (2,5", 7mm)
    59,99 €

Corsair CS Series Modular CS850M 850W ATX 2.4
    sofort lieferbar
    120,83 €

Bestellwert 953,70 € + Versandkosten + 6,99 € = Finanzierungsbetrag 960,69 €

You're still set on crossfire? I wouldn't crossfire 2 of those cards. They run quite hot. Stacking 2 of them together takes it over the edge.

That board doesn't support 8/8 crossfire either. It's 8/4. The top boards are 16/16. A PCIe x4 lane will bottleneck those cards a little.

I'd ditch the overclockable i5 and board and grab the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 and overclock the crap out of that instead. A single one of those cards will handle 99% of games at 1440p with max settings and 60fps.

Have a look at the benchmarks there. A single overclocked card blitzes 1440p.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-970-g1-gaming-review,26.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33 t1Ringo

Would have went for an i5 over the FX any day. You could probably still change it if you email them.

Is there a down side in getting a mini atx compaired to a normal sized?

Well matx cases usually have less space and HDD mounts although that's not always the case.

The boards have less PCI slots but that's usually not an issue either since the majority of people will never use more than 2 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 t1Ringo

Well matx cases usually have less space and HDD mounts although that's not always the case.

The boards have less PCI slots but that's usually not an issue either since the majority of people will never use more than 2 anyway.
    Thanks, but do you think you'll fit all that hardware into the matx?

Of course, it's not much smaller than ATX.

Unless you need lot's of HDD space and/or plan on going dual GPU then you really don't need ATX.

Or half thinking of this now. Any opinions, will leave till tomorrow evening to order to get some feedback.

AMD FX-8320 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+
    124,34 €

29,45 €

MSI 760GA-P43 (FX), Sockel AM3+, ATX, PCIe
    53,54 €

66,33 €

49,90 €

WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's
    50,87 €

53,90 €

XFX Radeon R9 280X Double Dissipation Edition mit MANTLE und Gaming Evolved Client, 3GB
    216,41 €

660 in total with shipping.

You have me convinced bloodbath to go single GPU and get new one when needs be.
    Budget is now 1300. I think I'll get a 1440P build and a single GPU and just upgrade when needs be. Any upgrades or changes you'd make.

So 4790k
    Pro3
    corsair 600w
    8 gb crucial
    200r
    212 evo
    gtx 970 ( any recommendations on which to buy?)
    Samsung 128 gb SSD
    WD blue 1 TB
    Qnix (any recommendations on which to buy?)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/vVWnNG Total cost after Geizhals: 1.151,69 €

750 watt power supply in-case of future upgrade to dual 970's.
    Saves buying a completely new power supply in the future when you could get it now and leave a lot of headroom for over-clocking currently if you're into that.

If you're going for a Gigabyte 970 then you'll need the extra space in the case (unless you want to remove the drive bays) in which case (pardon the pun) go for the 200R to save some money.

Went for the i5 4690k as I'm assuming this's a gaming build based on the fact you're getting a 970.

If you want, could get a 128gb SSD instead to save some money to put towards a monitor. In regards to the monitor, there isn't much money left over when you put all the items through geizhals on hardwareversand it comes to 1.151,69. However, you could save money by getting the 200r and a 128gb ssd.

Of course you can always save more money on getting an r9 290 although I'd go with the 970 if you're considering adding another gpu to the mix. However, you may decide that when you're looking to upgrade your graphics card that a new one will be out and may just go for the newer card. :D

Not a fan of the 200r. There are much better cases like the Nanoxia deep silence 3 for less.

Still not convinced you need dual GPU's anymore 1440p but go for the extreme version of the board and a 750w PSU if you want to keep that option open.

The Gigabyte G1 Gaming is the best afaik but any of them with a good cooler will do but if going single GPU for 1440p I'd try and get that one as they overclock to around 1500mhz which gives better than gtx 980 performance.

You should be able to squeeze the 256gb SSD in.

Theres a long ass thread about the monitors on here if you have a look. I'd go for the overclockable Qnix with the single DVI port unless you plan on plugging other devices like a console into it.

Advertisement