Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Interesting indeed, especially to read that the IDA, Enterprise Ireland and other Irish business groups have visited Rhode Island this year.

It also states, Air cargo could be moved quickly through Rhode Island onto the inter-state highway system in the American North East and there were plans to extend Providence airport by 2017 to accommodate the world’s biggest aircraft.

Permission has now been granted for the demolition of (Block C).

The former Shannon Development has stated that there is a strategy to position this area for redevelopment.

Permission has also been granted to upgrade a section of (Block B) too.

So I wonder if this site is being prepared for an air freight facility?

13359976565_214b604305_c.jpg

There must have been some incident in Dublin Airport this morning as five aircraft where diverted to Shannon instead of remaining in a holding pattern.

Looks like they returned shortly after 10.

Something similar happened last year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Is block B the old Bombardier bus place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There must have been some incident in Dublin Airport this morning as five aircraft where diverted to Shannon instead of remaining in a holding pattern.

Looks like they returned shortly after 10.

Something similar happened last year too.
    Let me guess, these will be counted towards the Shannon 2014 passenger numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Is block B the old Bombardier bus place?

Yeah think it is. Enterasys were in there last. Volga Dnepr Airlines were in block C when they had a maintenance base. The latter looks terribly derelict and needs to be torn down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Hard to see a carrier setting up the route. PVD is a small airport with out any bases there. I have flown in and out with United's commuter subsidiary and its only 1 hour from Logan.

Indeed. Most definitely very wishful thinking.

Strange to think the government are backing this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I think it's very odd. I don't think the Government should be getting involved at all. There's only about 1 million people in Rhode Island anyway. I think there are better things the Govt could be doing then that.

Mr. G wrote: »
    I think it's very odd. I don't think the Government should be getting involved at all. There's only about 1 million people in Rhode Island anyway.

There is only around 200,000 in Shannon's immediate catchment area.

• Advertisement

Block C – MRO Hangar Number Ten?

After re-reading this post from February, I think Block C could probably be the site for a new MRO Hangar.

The airport currently has 50,700sq meters of space in nine hangars, all of which will be fully occupied following the signing of contracts with Air Contractors. To meet a current request for near term additional hangar space, the board of the Shannon Group recently agreed to seek planning permission and to tender for the procurement and associated works of a fabric hangar of 4,300sq metres capable of accommodating wide-bodied aircraft.

The area size of Block C is 8,000sq metres according to the planning permission for demolition.

Planning No. 14443: For the demolition of the existing light industrial and office buildings, overall approx 8,050sq.m and site clearance. Block C, Shannon Free Zone, Co. Clare.

On the government public tender website, Shannon Airport Authority now requires a design consultant for an 6,000sq metres aircraft hangar.

Shannon Airport Authority requires a Design Consultant for an Aircraft Hangar Development Project at Shannon Airport, Co Clare (Link)

There is an immediate requirement for additional hangar space to support already committed lease transition activity. The availability of hangar space will allow Shannon Airport Authority to respond to existing demand as well as attracting future business. The key aim of the project is to proceed immediately with the design and construction of a large circa 6,000 sq. m insulated steel hangar with all associated site development and concrete apron works which will allow Shannon Airport accept immediate viable aircraft maintenance business whilst accommodating both narrow-body and wide-body aircraft.

I actually think the new hangar will be built inside the airfield boundary just in front of Block C, rather than on the site of block C etc itself.

I actually think the new hangar will be built inside the airfield boundary just in front of Block C, rather than on the site of block C etc itself.
    You could be right as the Block C site is somewhat boxed-in from all sides.

There is also a need for more designated parking aprons too, as parking aircraft along old taxi-ways is not ideal.

13360329074_5b4f8c7e01_c.jpg

Overseas visitor numbers up by 9.7% in summer months (Irish Times)

Some 2.48 million visited State between June and August, with big growth in North American market.

The number of visitors from North American increased by 18 per cent to 516,700 in the period, . . . .

Since 54,538 North American passengers used Shannon in June (+13.6%), it looks like we can even expect a higher increase for July and August.

Looking at transatlantic services from Shannon for Summer 2015

*Delta's SNN-JFK is available to book online for summer 2015, it seems to start on the 2nd of may, 15 days earlier than it started last year.

*United's SNN-ORD is available to book online for summer 2015, it seems to start on the 22nd of may, the same as last year.

*US Airways SNN-PHL is available to book online for summer 2015, it seems to start on the 23rd of may, the same of last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Does anyone know where the park for less carpark is? It says it's 7-9 minutes of a walk, for a week it's €15 more expensive than the normal long term parking.

Also, does anyone have any promo codes for the online car parking?

Clareman wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the park for less carpark is? It says it's 7-9 minutes of a walk, for a week it's €15 more expensive than the normal long term parking.

Its location at the airport is at the old traffic control tower, and I think its the old Long Term 4.
    To the left of the airport.

http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/Passengers/Go/car-parking/car-parking-directions.aspx

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I saw the map and didn't even notice the car park at the top, I thought it was part of the logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Check that again Clareman. Its should be 15 euro cheaper in Payforless car park. Its 30 euro a week normally and up by the control tower. Always pretty full up there but worth it.

knockon wrote: »
    Check that again Clareman. Its should be 15 euro cheaper in Payforless car park. Its 30 euro a week normally and up by the control tower. Always pretty full up there but worth it.

It's €30 for the PayforLess and €45 for the regular long term car park, with a 2 year old it might be easier go to the regular long term car park.

• Advertisement

It's €30 for the PayforLess and €45 for the regular long term car park, with a 2 year old it might be easier go to the regular long term car park.

If there is anyone else travelling with you and the 2 year old then perhaps they could be dropped off at the terminal before the car is parked at the parkforless?

If there is anyone else travelling with you and the 2 year old then perhaps they could be dropped off at the terminal before the car is parked at the parkforless?

Great idea, thanks

Which is bigger, the park4less or the normal long term.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Which is bigger, the park4less or the normal long term.

Probably not many spaces in it. I believe park4less is the old Long Term 4. Long Term 1 is the other long term currently open.

Long term 2/3 currently closed.... no.3 located just across from park4less so perhaps it might be included in park4less in time.

Years ago there used also be a long term on the approach road opposite Westair involving a shuttle bus!

Another award, Airport Achievement Award from European Airline Assoc. http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/shannon-airport-award-1700928-Oct2014/ - won it " because of its success in ending five years of “seemingly interminable decline”.

These awards are all fine and well but they need to deliver a variety of new routes/airlines and that's where the success lies

Another award, Airport Achievement Award from European Airline Assoc. http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/shannon-airport-award-1700928-Oct2014/ - won it " because of its success in ending five years of “seemingly interminable decline”.

These awards are all fine and well but they need to deliver a variety of new routes/airlines and that's where the success lies

Exactly. The amount of awards that Shannon has won since the start of 2014 is amazing, but we have gotten very little out of it! You could count the Ryanair to Kaunas, but they would of probably done that regardless of Shannon's awards.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The amount of awards that Shannon has won since the start of 2014 is amazing, but we have gotten very little out of it!

These awards are probably more valued for those working within the industry itself.

This is in all, positive PR for Shannon Airport which should help to raise its profile with those decision makers in the travel business.

Like the World Routes conference in Chicago, which was attended by 3,000 delegates, representing 300 airlines, 800 airports and 200 tourism authorities.

In my opinion there are no quick fixes in attracting new routes/airlines to Shannon, instead it will be a long hard sell to build passenger numbers up to a sustainable 2.5 million mark.

Oireachtas committee seeks assurances over use of Shannon Airport by the US military (RTE)

Members of the Oireachtas Petitions Committee are meeting management at Shannon Airport and senior gardaí from Co Clare about the use of Shannon Airport by the US military.

Three members of the 19-person committee, headed by chairman Pádraig Mac Lochlainn of Sinn Féin, are meeting Shannon Airport Chairperson Rose Hynes and CEO Neil Pakey.

The meeting follows a petition to the committee from the anti-war group Shannonwatch.

Mr Mac Lochlainn said they are seeking assurances that Irish neutrality is not being compromised by US military aircraft landing at the airport.

000991e4-642.jpg

I think the meeting of the Oireachtas Committee with Shannon Management is a pointless exercise, as they have no remit to give assurances that Irish neutrality is not being compromised by US military aircraft landing at the airport.

The only people that can give assurances are based in Dublin, i.e. the Department of Foreign Affairs and the American Embassy.

**** Update ****

The same RTE article has been updated after the meeting had taken place.

The three members of the committee said they have been reassured by airport management and gardaí, that within their power, they are meeting their responsibilities about the use of the airport by the US military.

The committee members were told today gardaí are not permitted to board military planes that carry diplomatic notice, as they have the same immunity as embassies.

The Department of Transport is informed of any civilian aircraft using the airport to transport US troops.

I wonder did they visit / inspect the three US Aircraft that were there yesterday?

**** Update ****

Shannon Airport Predicting Growth for 2015 (Clare FM)

The CEO of the Shannon Airport Authority has predicted more modest growth there next year.

Neil Pakey says their focus will be on route retention, after this year saw a number of new route announcements and a 15 per cent increase in passenger numbers.

From reading that, it looks like we can expect no announcements for new routes in 2015 but instead the emphasis will be placed on growing the existing routes.

• Advertisement

A live cargo of sheep was shipped by Atlas Air on a jumbo jet to Singapore yesterday (Shannon Airport Facebook).

Could they transport as many as 2,200 animals on such a plane?

If the restaurants around Singapore enjoy the taste of a Rack of Burren Lamb then there must be great potential for our seafood too, like organically grown Atlantic salmon?

Advertisement